Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Jake literally did a run as them today if you wanna see how he does it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I went to start a game as Bengal and within a year I had lost my army, gone into debt and was being sieged by four countries with a lot more troops than I had force limit. But at least I had a lot of manpower left. :downs:

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.
I know the achievement came out with Common Sense but I'm staggered that "The Bohemians" is the fourth least earned achievement in the game according to Steam. More people have conquered Lucknow as Lucca!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Hey guys, I already asked but it was overlooked I guess - what's a good mostly land-based power to play?

Ottomans are fun but I get bored if I can immediately squash everybody into oblivion, and France kinda never clicks for me. What I like most is starting as a medium power with good opportunities to become top dog in my area quickly if I do things right (Florence -> Italy, daimyo -> Japan were both very fun games and fit this description perfectly)

this time I don't want to bother with fleets or colonization much, and I'd love to have some special events and nice NI ... what are some good bets?

thanks for your suggestions!

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

TorakFade posted:

Hey guys, I already asked but it was overlooked I guess - what's a good mostly land-based power to play?

Ottomans are fun but I get bored if I can immediately squash everybody into oblivion, and France kinda never clicks for me. What I like most is starting as a medium power with good opportunities to become top dog in my area quickly if I do things right (Florence -> Italy, daimyo -> Japan were both very fun games and fit this description perfectly)

this time I don't want to bother with fleets or colonization much, and I'd love to have some special events and nice NI ... what are some good bets?

Brandenburg is just what you're looking for, and you can go the whole game without building any ships if you want to.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Have you tried Brandenburg -> Prussia? Missing some special events but probably the best NI if you're not looking to bother with anything naval/colonial. You get to deal with Poland right on your borders or expand into the HRE to keep things challenging.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

TorakFade posted:

Poland -> Commonwealth is a lot of fun, gives you options to do whatever you want, and no navy is required.

Muscovy -> Russia has some overlap but is different. Less beefy troops, but more exploration, different neighbors and challenges.

I'd say if you want to throw your weight around in Europe, Poland -> Commonwealth, and if you want to beat up India / Asia, Muscovy -> Russia. Just depends on what you're looking for in a game. Since you wanted one suggestion, I'll throw out Poland -> Commonwealth. Gives you a lot of the flavor of a republic, with all the flavor of a country with badass military ideas, a great political starting point, and solid custom events and decisions.

[edit]I am not sure how recently people have played B-P. Compared to Poland, I feel B-P is so constrained. You start with 150 dev vs like 400. If you're lucky you'll have like 500 vs Poland's 1000+ when they hit the integrate button. You can't expand into the HRE very easily, and dealing with Poland - Lit sucks. Poland's troops are pretty close strength wise to B-Ps. I feel B-P is way way harder, fiddlier, and less enjoyable than Poland but that's certainly my opinion.

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 6, 2015

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Star posted:

Anyone have any tips regarding Prester John? My neighbors and the Arabian peninsula are easy to beat, so is the Mamluks but I get eaten alive by the Ottomans, even with Spain as my ally. Bide my time? Avoid them and gobble upp Africa first?

Make sure you take all of Egypt before the Ottomans get all of the Levant or they will get a mission and claims on it. You need a Mediterranean coast; then ally Austria and Poland. Fortify the depths of Egypt and Nubia heavily. Eventually, the Ottomans will declare on you (or one of your allies might declare on the Ottomans), let their huge armies come into your super-wastelands and die by the thousands while your allies beat them up west of the Bosphorus. It may take two or three wars, but you should be able to cripple them eventually and then they'll be pretty easy to gradually absorb.

Other tips: Exploration is the best first idea group, you will be much stronger by the time you're fighting the Turks if you have a bunch of African colonies, especially super rich provinces like Cape, Bourbon, etc. Humanist is my preferred second idea group because you'll always be dealing with lovely religious unity and lots of rebellion without it, whereas with it you will have very few serious rebel problems.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 6, 2015

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

TorakFade posted:

Manchu minor into Manchu into Qing, ignoring exploration and Japan is generally fun times, but it looks like they'll be a lot more fun to play once the next expansion hits, so I'd probably hold out until then. The same is true of the other Hordes as well which would be my second suggestion. Sweden is a good fit for medium power into top dog with excellent NIs and a ton of special events if you don't want to do Brandenburg/Poland into Prussia.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

So I decided I'm going to make it my goal in my Denmark playthrough to form the HRE, which I've never really tried before. I'm not sure the wiki gives a bunch of great advice (maybe they do for Austria starts?). So help me if this all sounds correct?

-I've gotten all but ~6 HRE provinces under HRE control. I missed the chance to keep North Italy though. I'm assuming it's best to wait until the HRE goes in to internal war again- I've finally had some internal peace after almost 20 years of minor wars- so I don't risk the +.10 authority bonus?

-I'm assuming it's best to stay Catholic and not risk trying to win the league war. I'm also assuming the three nations that go protestant will have such religions fervor that I can't just run and knock them out before it spreads? Any advice for getting the HRE all catholic quickly and easily?

-Also, I'm assuming the only way to quickly add large chunks to the HRE is through lucking in to a Personal Union? I'd like to somehow get Hungry and Poland added at some point. Hungry seems so happy to help out the HRE and die a bunch :)

any other thoughts?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Koramei posted:

Well this is interesting, thanks!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Star posted:

Anyone have any tips regarding Prester John? My neighbors and the Arabian peninsula are easy to beat, so is the Mamluks but I get eaten alive by the Ottomans, even with Spain as my ally. Bide my time? Avoid them and gobble upp Africa first?

Once you take Mamluk land you'll get access to the Mediterranean, so do the time-honored strategy of parking 200 galleys in the strait and bottle up the Ottoman troops in Europe.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

So I decided I'm going to make it my goal in my Denmark playthrough to form the HRE, which I've never really tried before. I'm not sure the wiki gives a bunch of great advice (maybe they do for Austria starts?). So help me if this all sounds correct?

-I've gotten all but ~6 HRE provinces under HRE control. I missed the chance to keep North Italy though. I'm assuming it's best to wait until the HRE goes in to internal war again- I've finally had some internal peace after almost 20 years of minor wars- so I don't risk the +.10 authority bonus?

-I'm assuming it's best to stay Catholic and not risk trying to win the league war. I'm also assuming the three nations that go protestant will have such religions fervor that I can't just run and knock them out before it spreads? Any advice for getting the HRE all catholic quickly and easily?

-Also, I'm assuming the only way to quickly add large chunks to the HRE is through lucking in to a Personal Union? I'd like to somehow get Hungry and Poland added at some point. Hungry seems so happy to help out the HRE and die a bunch :)

any other thoughts?

As Denmark, it's almost impossible to retain the Italian HRE provinces. You would need to conquer, core, and add to the HRE all of the Papal State and half of Venice. Don't sweat that.

The HRE at peace bonus is not really something you can control and early on there's going to be a lot of wars.

You can go Protestant if you want, both Catholic and Protestant are cool and good. However if you are currently the Emperor, it's easier to stay Catholic since converting to Protestant makes you instantly ineligible and someone else will become Emperor, which means you'd need to win the League Wars then get re-elected. Protestantism and Reformed will both spawn three Centers of Reformation which will convert nearby provinces. Best case scenario is several of the CoRs spawn in small or one-province nations which you can easily squash, find a way to declare war on them and demand their religious conversion back to Catholic, this will erase the CoR and stop it from spreading. Kill the Reformation centers as much as you're able to, the more nations get converted the longer it will take to regain unity.

PUs are mostly luck, otherwise you can add most any of your European provinces to the HRE once you're emperor.

Edit: wait until the Reformation happens and evaluate where the Centers spawn. If strong nations are going Protestant it might be worth it for you to convert. If the centers spawn in small weak nations stay Catholic and force them back to Catholic.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 7, 2015

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Koramei posted:

Yea, and it's pretty much the same strategy as I use with any small country in that area... take Georgia, take Circassia, take Gazikumukh, ally Poland or Muscovy, take Genoa and Crimea when they declare a stupid war then start blobbing away once you have most of the Black Sea.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can someone give a good recommendation for a time and nation to use to get the hang of trade and taxes?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

gfanikf posted:

Can someone give a good recommendation for a time and nation to use to get the hang of trade and taxes?

Portugal 1444 for relaxed trade and colonization

Hansa 1444 for trade and HRE

taxes aren't a dynamic system so I dunno how you are going to get the hang of them specifically

Edit: taxes are the worst of the income types and it's not a complex or interactive system like trade. Unless you're a government/religion type that can get huge tax bonuses (like a theocracy from Devotion), tax income is kind of poo poo past the early game.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 7, 2015

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pellisworth posted:

Portugal 1444 for relaxed trade and colonization

Hansa 1444 for trade and HRE

taxes aren't a dynamic system so I dunno how you are going to get the hang of them specifically

Well I guess with taxes more of an economy where I can add tax buffs and see it work.....also it was grouped together in the tutorial I watched...and I meant to type production goods. I think I actually have a grasp on production goods and trade after watching it.

I think the problem for me is when you see something saying oh this increases ducats by .06 or something it's like what the hell would I build that?

Edit: well at least that explains the garbage increases for tax income.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 7, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

gfanikf posted:

Well I guess with taxes more of an economy where I can add tax buffs and see it work.....also it was grouped together in the tutorial I watched...and I meant to type production goods. I think I actually have a grasp on production goods and trade after watching it.

I think the problem for me is when you see something saying oh this increases ducats by .06 or something it's like what the hell would I build that?

I'm going to assume you have all the DLCs otherwise some of the mechanics might be slightly different--

Trade and Production are closely linked and a complex system that will take a game or two to figure out. Like I recommended Portugal, The Hansa, or others would be good for this.
Tax is not really interactive, it just exists. When you're constructing a building, the tooltip says the monthly income you'll gain from it, they're long-term investments.

As for how income is calculated:

Tax = Base Tax development * Modifiers
Goods Produced = 0.2 * Production development * Modifiers
Production = Goods Produced * Price * Production Efficiency
Trade = Goods Produced * Price * Trade Efficiency * proportion of trade captured

So taxes really only depend on the base province value and flat modifiers, Production adds another layer of complexity in that the goods type matters. Expensive goods give really good Production and Trade income. Trade is even more complicated since the income is portioned out based on Trade Power and may be siphoned away by other nations (or by you if you're playing a trade-focused nation).

Trade is really the only interesting one you need to "learn."

gfanikf posted:

Buildings like Temples are worth it in high basetax provinces especially early game when you don't really have any other options. Once you unlock the trade and production buildings those are usually a lot better.

simonwolf
Oct 29, 2011
Question for those more experienced with the game: I'm playing Naples, fighting independence war against Aragon. I've won the war, but when I go to offer a peace deal, I can't request "return cores" for any of the Sicilian provinces, despite having cores on them - my only option would appear to be taking them through ceding provinces, but that doesn't seem right. Is this working as intended, or have I encountered a bug of some kind?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

gfanikf posted:

The map I believe displays monthly income, so that would be .06 per month. But don't build a temple in a place with a tax base of 1

If you have a province with a tax base of 7 then that's more like +0.8 ducats per month. That sounds small, but it'll pay itself off in a little over 10 years, after which it's all profit.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Koramei posted:

The Bob Ross marathon has done a wonderful thing for the internet.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

simonwolf posted:

Question for those more experienced with the game: I'm playing Naples, fighting independence war against Aragon. I've won the war, but when I go to offer a peace deal, I can't request "return cores" for any of the Sicilian provinces, despite having cores on them - my only option would appear to be taking them through ceding provinces, but that doesn't seem right. Is this working as intended, or have I encountered a bug of some kind?

It's not a bug it's just a weird interaction. I'm pretty sure Return Cores means "return someone else's cores to them" while you just straight conquer them because they're already your cores. You can declare a Reconquest war to get them really cheaply later if you want.

simonwolf
Oct 29, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

It's not a bug it's just a weird interaction. I'm pretty sure Return Cores means "return someone else's cores to them" while you just straight conquer them because they're already your cores. You can declare a Reconquest war to get them really cheaply later if you want.

Bleugh, that's rough - guess I just need to wait on this peace deal until I can waste the diplo on getting those provinces back. Thanks for the answer!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

simonwolf posted:

Bleugh, that's rough - guess I just need to wait on this peace deal until I can waste the diplo on getting those provinces back. Thanks for the answer!

You won't have to play diplo in a reconquest war. With that CB they're 25% AE and no diplo, IIRC

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

He's fighting an independence war, not a reconquest war, and the CB for that doesn't cover demanding provinces. He'll have to pay DIP for any he demands, even his own cores.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

He's saying he can declare a reconquest war later to get then on the cheap.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

As Denmark, it's almost impossible to retain the Italian HRE provinces. You would need to conquer, core, and add to the HRE all of the Papal State and half of Venice. Don't sweat that.

The HRE at peace bonus is not really something you can control and early on there's going to be a lot of wars.

You can go Protestant if you want, both Catholic and Protestant are cool and good. However if you are currently the Emperor, it's easier to stay Catholic since converting to Protestant makes you instantly ineligible and someone else will become Emperor, which means you'd need to win the League Wars then get re-elected. Protestantism and Reformed will both spawn three Centers of Reformation which will convert nearby provinces. Best case scenario is several of the CoRs spawn in small or one-province nations which you can easily squash, find a way to declare war on them and demand their religious conversion back to Catholic, this will erase the CoR and stop it from spreading. Kill the Reformation centers as much as you're able to, the more nations get converted the longer it will take to regain unity.

PUs are mostly luck, otherwise you can add most any of your European provinces to the HRE once you're emperor.

Edit: wait until the Reformation happens and evaluate where the Centers spawn. If strong nations are going Protestant it might be worth it for you to convert. If the centers spawn in small weak nations stay Catholic and force them back to Catholic.

The centers spawned in Mecklenburg, Hansa and England. I went and forced a religious conversion on Mecklenberg immediately since they were a OPM at that point. Tried the same with Hansa but their center of reformation is still going for some reason. And England is being England this game, not really worried about them.

I have about 4 heretic princes right now, sadly two of them are Brandenburg and Saxony- kinda big, decent allies and electors to boot. I can probably take them once Austria and/or Hungary are ready for war.

Do I have to wait for a nation's religious zeal to wear off to try and force convert them? I'm a little confused on the mechanics of religious war CBs and also how it relates to the HRE...

edit- I took the religious ideas group just after the reformation started. I'm not sure it'll help me a bunch unless I start conquering a bunch of neighbors so I can actually use missionaries on them?

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 7, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

deathbagel posted:

Yea, and it's pretty much the same strategy as I use with any small country in that area... take Georgia, take Circassia, take Gazikumukh, ally Poland or Muscovy, take Genoa and Crimea when they declare a stupid war then start blobbing away once you have most of the Black Sea.

The thing I can't seem to manage is to not get annihilated by Qara Qoyunlu. I just played a dozen starts, and they either attack me immediately, or attack me the minute they end things with Georgia.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Tried the same with Hansa but their center of reformation is still going for some reason.

If the centre of reformation is not in their capital, it won't be converted when you enforce religion. The way to get rid of a center of reformation is to convert the province with it and enforcing religion converts the religion of the capital.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Cynic Jester posted:

If the centre of reformation is not in their capital, it won't be converted when you enforce religion. The way to get rid of a center of reformation is to convert the province with it and enforcing religion converts the religion of the capital.

Is there a CB or war action that forces a conversion on a province? I'd rather not conquer the Hansa or even part of it :-/

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Huh. Does envoy travel time reduction not affect colonists? I thought I'd be clever to pick up the influence group to get them to their destinations faster, but even with the -25% idea and a -33% event modifier that just fired, it's still 580 days to New Zealand.

Or is it one of those things where the distance provides a large positive modifier, which is then added to the negative modifier from envoy time?

Is there a CB or war action that forces a conversion on a province? I'd rather not conquer the Hansa or even part of it :-/
Nope, not aside from force religion itself affecting the capital.

I wish force religion were more versatile, really. Feels odd that it's as expensive as vassalization, and also therefore being impossible if you're fighting an opponent of meaningful size. Like, if it maybe just scaled between 50% and 100% warscore depending on opponent power (and maybe also REQUIRED the religion CB), it'd be an interesting addition.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 7, 2015

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Strudel Man posted:

Huh. Does envoy travel time reduction not affect colonists?

envoy
noun
a messenger or representative, especially one on a diplomatic mission.

Pretty sure it only applies to diplomats. I don't know why it doesn't just say diplomat instead of envoy though, makes it needlessly confusing. Maybe it doesn't apply to fabrication and spying?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Strudel Man posted:

Huh. Does envoy travel time reduction not affect colonists? I thought I'd be clever to pick up the influence group to get them to their destinations faster, but even with the -25% idea and a -33% event modifier that just fired, it's still 580 days to New Zealand.

Nope, the Influence bonus to travel time is for diplomatic actions. It isn't much locally but if you're running a multi-continent empire the savings in diplomat time becomes significant.

Edit: that is, things that use Diplomats. Peace deals and claim fabrication are where you're likely to see most savings. Diplomat travel times can be a couple months between Europe and Asia.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Pellisworth posted:

Nope, the Influence bonus to travel time is for diplomatic actions. It isn't much locally but if you're running a multi-continent empire the savings in diplomat time becomes significant.

Edit: that is, things that use Diplomats. Peace deals and claim fabrication are where you're likely to see most savings. Diplomat travel times can be a couple months between Europe and Asia.
Meh. I can't really recall an occasion when I've felt constrained by diplomat travel time.

Wafflecopper posted:

envoy
noun
a messenger or representative, especially one on a diplomatic mission.

Pretty sure it only applies to diplomats. I don't know why it doesn't just say diplomat instead of envoy though, makes it needlessly confusing. Maybe it doesn't apply to fabrication and spying?
I guess. The EU4 wiki talks about all of them as different envoy types, though.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Strudel Man posted:

Meh. I can't really recall an occasion when I've felt constrained by diplomat travel time.

Things that affect "diplomat time:"

-Diplomatic Reputation increases speed of annexation/integration
-Improve Relations (as in Diplomatic ideas)
-Time to Fabricate Claims (as in Influence ideas)
-Envoy Travel Time (as in Influence Ideas)

it's not really something I'd seek out as a policy, but if you're running a large empire it's noticeable and very nice.

The +25% Improve Relations in Diplomatic is kinda poo poo by the way, it doesn't improve the cap on how high you can improve relations just makes it slightly faster (i.e. reduces diplomat time for improving relations). Same for the Fabricate Claims speed in Influence unless you're fabricating like a madman.

Envoy Travel Time in a big empire, yes please. Not amazing though I'll agree.

Edit: Diplomatic ideas is good if you want to be HRE Emperor, since you'll need to suck a lot of dick within a short range. In pretty much every other circumstance I think Influence is far better as a first pick.

Edit2: there used to be a "Colonist Travel Time" reduction in Exploration or Expansion ideas (I forget) but that modifier was removed a long time ago. Colonist travel time isn't affected by anything other than distance between your capital and the target province.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 7, 2015

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
This is the best

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Since someone in the thread mentioned it, I'm going to try out a Knights escaping to the New World run! If Portugal nabs a bunch of islands I may instead do a Knights escape to Africa.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

PittTheElder posted:

The thing I can't seem to manage is to not get annihilated by Qara Qoyunlu. I just played a dozen starts, and they either attack me immediately, or attack me the minute they end things with Georgia.

I've been working on Theodoro, which I guess is technically a harder cheevo than Trebizond but what's your opening move? You should be pretty safe if you annex Georgia asap and have a Diplo +1 advisor to snag you the alliance with Poland while you have Theodoro/Circassia keeping QQ at bay in the meantime. I mean, just like how Theodoro gets the "Crimea declares war on you within 1 month" start Trebizond does have unwinnable starts too.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Star posted:

I just waited until they were already in a pretty big war of their own. Spain will make a pretty poor ally, their armies aren't that huge and they might not even reach them, unless they're bordering you in north Africa I guess. I'd ally the Commonwealth, Austria, and other Christians that border the Ottomans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Eej posted:

I've been working on Theodoro, which I guess is technically a harder cheevo than Trebizond but what's your opening move? You should be pretty safe if you annex Georgia asap and have a Diplo +1 advisor to snag you the alliance with Poland while you have Theodoro/Circassia keeping QQ at bay in the meantime. I mean, just like how Theodoro gets the "Crimea declares war on you within 1 month" start Trebizond does have unwinnable starts too.

Well I've tried a few different openings, including the Day 2 DoW on Georgia, and waiting for QQ to declare on Georgia then pouncing on Georgia's single fort. Conquering Georgia is easy enough, but even then you're not going to land an alliance with any majors without attacking at least Circassia, and so far I've only managed one game where I have room to do that before QQ wrecks me. You're usually either their first or second target. You're a lot farther away from alliance with Poland too, +5 DipRep doesn't get you close at all, you essentially need that and the ability to rival the Ottomans.

I don't know how Jake got so lucky with it, but I know it's possible for QQ to get distracted supporting Ardalan, or vassalizing AQ and getting demo'd by the Ottomans, but I just can't seem to swing it happening while also playing Trebizond.

• Locked thread