Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Shifty Pony posted:

That article is a bit off on the cause as Inertia has nothing to do with it. The reverse threading is there to prevent mechanical precession and is purely a friction and deformation based effect. It is a pretty neat effect but modern lugs have a tapered mating surface and torque specs set to make them much less prone to it.

This is awesome and thank you for posting it. I've actually dealt with this many times in my engineering experience but have never read a technical description. I've had big, high force snap rings get pushed out of the groove due to a ball bearing inner race walking on the shaft as this article describes. It was only under really really heavy load, so we just attributed it to load failure and told the customer to stop loading it so hard, but this article explains perfectly how the forces could multiply to the extent that they did. We were really surprised by the failure at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/3347/Project-Silvias-Girlfriend--Part-1.aspx

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

14 INCH DICK posted:

Please tell me it was one of those front wheel park brake subarus.

Nah, it was a 2003 C230 hatch (a horrible mechanical failure in it's own right). Who knew you could overcome the ebrake with the engine?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Crustashio posted:

Nah, it was a 2003 C230 hatch (a horrible mechanical failure in it's own right). Who knew you could overcome the ebrake with the engine?

Mercedes have poo poo parking brakes. I remember my parent's Mercedes they had and all of them were complete garbage unless it was parked on a completely flat surface. Thankfully the parking pawl in the auto is very strong.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

You Am I posted:

Mercedes have poo poo parking brakes. I remember my parent's Mercedes they had and all of them were complete garbage unless it was parked on a completely flat surface. Thankfully the parking pawl in the auto is very strong.

Had this experience in 90's F150s and both of my Grand Marquis. There is or at least used to be a difference between something legalesed as just a "parking brake" and an "emergency brake". Parking brakes won't usually do more than keep the car from rolling away, and "uh I drove 35 miles with my park brake on and now my truck smells like burnt rear end in a top hat :(" is a thing because often they make so little drag as to go unnoticed while you're driving. You can smell it when the guy in front of you in traffic has his park brake on. On the other hand emergency brakes, in addition to the usual parking function, will usually accomplish something while the car's in motion, and they're usually the horsecock style yanker and easy to use while driving (as opposed to a pedal that you potentially have to dump the clutch to use).

TL,DR: footpedal brakes aren't for doriftu and "parking" brakes aren't for stopping a moving car.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 4, 2015

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.
Never seen a car in australia with standard foot brakes and and e-brake PLUS a hand brake.

We just have the hand brake, or in some cars, the push button, or push-pedal to engage it.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
There are several mechanical failures to enjoy in this photo:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Well, you don't want to put the space saver on the front. You'll burn out your diff.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

0toShifty posted:

First issue is the symbol on the front.
Other issues look like horrible driver failure.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

0toShifty posted:

Reminds me of the time these two college-aged chicks pulled up with a flat tire; I'd been killing time in my bus waiting on my passengers so I ambled on over to see if they needed help. Their flat front tire was bald down to the steel cords, to the point where the cords themselves were breaking and fraying. Girl 1 was on her phone with her boyfriend, and I asked girl 2 to pop the trunk to check on the spare. In the spare tire well was another wheel with a tire in about the same condition, the actual spare was mounted to the front on the other side of the car.

"Yeah I ran over some wires again" girl 1 continued on the phone, as two toddlers looked on from the back seat.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

"I ran over some wires again"
I'm going to use that.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Today's mechanical failure: staring death in the FACE

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
That's a light truck tire to boot. 60-70psi.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

0toShifty posted:

I'd say a .22 at 50yards should do the trick.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

0toShifty posted:

I worked with a guy who would drill the start of a hole in tire bubbles. Then he would take a welding hammer and strike the middle where he drilled. So many fun times had at that dealer.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've slashed tires open with a utility knife at 40psi before (like, 4-5 inch cut in the sidewall, it dumped all the air instantly and made a hell of a bang/whoosh but that was it), gimme a goddamn nail on a 2x4 and I'll take care of that.

It's nowhere near as scary as everyone thinks.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
couldnt someone just slowly release the pressure from the valve stem? it doesnt seem too dangerous unless its a heavy truck tire

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

BraveUlysses posted:

couldnt someone just slowly release the pressure from the valve stem? it doesnt seem too dangerous unless its a heavy truck tire

I removed the valve core while standing behind the tire machine in case it exploded. Nothing bad happened.

Here's a picture of the inner bead- the cable is exposed

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

kastein posted:

I've slashed tires open with a utility knife at 40psi before (like, 4-5 inch cut in the sidewall, it dumped all the air instantly and made a hell of a bang/whoosh but that was it), gimme a goddamn nail on a 2x4 and I'll take care of that.

It's nowhere near as scary as everyone thinks.

Seating kart tires is the same thing, just go to town with an air compressor until they pop past the blow holes. Scares the poo poo out of everyone the first time they do it because they think the tire is gonna blow from the pressure.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

1500quidporsche posted:

Seating kart tires is the same thing, just go to town with an air compressor until they pop past the blow holes. Scares the poo poo out of everyone the first time they do it because they think the tire is gonna blow from the pressure.

No poo poo. Those little fuckers are the worst, especially on steelies that look like wheelbarrow rejects and who the gently caress knows I'M OUTTA HERE

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Godholio posted:

You probably could've push started that fucker in reverse.

I've heard that the multifuel diesels in the older M35 deuce-and-a-half trucks can run quite happily backwards. The valvetrain is apparently uncomplicated and highly symmetrical, given all the weird things it's designed to run on (any mixture of diesel, jet fuel, kerosene, gasoline, new motor oil, used motor oil, french fry oil, hog fat, or brylcreem), so all you need to do is push it backwards in gear and have something ready to plug the exhaustintake pipe to shut it down.

Kastein probably knows more about this. For all I know he's tried it.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 5, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I haven't tried it, but I'm the one who brought that info to SA AFAIK, unless someone did before me. They run so little injection advance that yes, they'll run quite well backward. The only problem is that this runs the water pump, oil pump, and fan backward, so your cooling and oiling systems are basically nonfunctional, the turbo doesn't work very well being run backward with exhaust on the compressor side, the air filter gets full of soot, and the exhaust system doesn't really have an air filter on it.

It's probably not so great for the intake valves either.

So basically it's a neat trick to talk about and do for a second or so at low throttle to prove it works, but beyond that you really don't want to.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

a duce and a half would be so amazing to drive around town in.. by amazing I mean awful, but I'm sure my wife would appreciate it right?right?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

tater_salad posted:

a duce and a half would be so amazing to drive around town in.. by amazing I mean awful, but I'm sure my wife would appreciate it right?right?

Are you Doccers? Then yes. Otherwise? Maaaaaaybe not.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

tater_salad posted:

These things are for sale literally all the time. There's one on a local car lot 20 feet from the built 74 Nova some poor guy on base was trying to sell for months.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

14 INCH DICK posted:

Only starter I've seen look like that in the Gremlin, what did that come out of?

FuzzKill posted:

Most older Ford starters look like that, where they have the external solenoid mounted on the fender or firewall.

Yep, early 80s 1 wire Ford starter. Going to upgrade to a mini at some point, stock starters don't like longtubes much

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

Are you Doccers? Then yes. Otherwise? Maaaaaaybe not.

If that means bonkers then yes... Sadly I don't have the budget or time to support my insanity. Had I taken a different path, my "house" would be the office in a car garage, with all kinds of odd things.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

tater_salad posted:

If that means bonkers then yes... Sadly I don't have the budget or time to support my insanity. Had I taken a different path, my "house" would be the office in a car garage, with all kinds of odd things.

They're referring to forums poster and noted cool dude Doccers (he has a Volvo)

E: whose wife is also AI as gently caress and has an Opel GT

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Enourmo posted:

They're referring to forums poster and noted cool dude Doccers (he has a Volvo)

E: whose wife is also AI as gently caress and has an Opel GT

She also has a five ton, if I recall correctly.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

She also has a five ton, if I recall correctly.

Yeah although I'm not sure if they're actually married.

Appropriate link 1
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3728274&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Also:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3737559&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I've heard that the multifuel diesels in the older M35 deuce-and-a-half trucks can run quite happily backwards. The valvetrain is apparently uncomplicated and highly symmetrical, given all the weird things it's designed to run on (any mixture of diesel, jet fuel, kerosene, gasoline, new motor oil, used motor oil, french fry oil, hog fat, or brylcreem), so all you need to do is push it backwards in gear and have something ready to plug the exhaustintake pipe to shut it down.

Kastein probably knows more about this. For all I know he's tried it.

It's not just the motor in an M35, I think a lot of old four stroke and most two strokes will do it and it's how all ships with large low speed diesels get reverse since you can't really build any kind of conventional transmission that will deal with mile pounds of torque. The engine is stopped, the cam(s) are shifted after everything comes to a complete stop, then you start it in the other direction.

I guess on the boat my Dad's Sea Scout troop used two engines driving a single prop, so one was set up to run backwards from normal. Since the engines were otherwise identical to what was in every Greyhound bus of that vintage spares were easy, but you had to be careful about the starter for the backwards engine since it was either wound or wired backwards. Apparently one day somebody forgot about this, engine happily fired up backwards backwards, and there was a mad scramble to dive overboard and get a shirt or something stuffed in the exhaust. Lack of air filter wasn't a huge concern, but having the new intake basically at the waterline could have ended very badly along with having a good chance to run away since the seals in the turbo probably weren't designed for that situation. I guess the inevitable water ingestion probably would have stopped the runaway in that case, but still not a good thing.

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

Godholio posted:

These things are for sale literally all the time. There's one on a local car lot 20 feet from the built 74 Nova some poor guy on base was trying to sell for months.

I wish that kind of stuff was available here in australia. They would make a fantastic outback vehicle able to run on the sweat of an aboriginal after he has been sniffing petrol for a few weeks.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

rainwulf posted:

I wish that kind of stuff was available here in australia. They would make a fantastic outback vehicle able to run on the sweat of an aboriginal after he has been sniffing petrol for a few weeks.

Legend has it they'll run on anything that's flammable and can be fed to the cylinders, but I haven't seen any really ambitious demos that I can confidently recall.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Someone described them to me as being able to run on wet coal dust. I scoured YouTube for hours trying to find proof. Nada, but I did find a guy with an engine that ran on gunpowder pellets, they were pushed one at a time into the cylinder directly. He remarked he'd never had it run long enough to see what heat build up did to it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Cakefool posted:

Someone described them to me as being able to run on wet coal dust. I scoured YouTube for hours trying to find proof. Nada, but I did find a guy with an engine that ran on gunpowder pellets, they were pushed one at a time into the cylinder directly. He remarked he'd never had it run long enough to see what heat build up did to it.

The first Diesel design was specc'd to use coal dust, but he ran the first prototype on light petroleum, more closely related to gasoline than modern diesel.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

The first Diesel design was specc'd to use coal dust, but he ran the first prototype on light petroleum, more closely related to gasoline than modern diesel.

Diesel actually ended up demonstrating the engine using veiggie oil

quote:

In the foreword to a book titled Diesel Engines for Land and Marine Work,[8] Rudolf Diesel states, "In 1900 a small Diesel engine was exhibited by the Otto company which, on the suggestion of the French Government, was run on Arachide oil, and operated so well that very few people were aware of the fact. The motor was built for ordinary oils, and without any modification was run on vegetable oil." Diesel went on to say that "I have recently repeated these experiments on a large scale with full success and entire confirmation of the results formerly obtained.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

Had this experience in 90's F150s and both of my Grand Marquis. There is or at least used to be a difference between something legalesed as just a "parking brake" and an "emergency brake". Parking brakes won't usually do more than keep the car from rolling away, and "uh I drove 35 miles with my park brake on and now my truck smells like burnt rear end in a top hat :(" is a thing because often they make so little drag as to go unnoticed while you're driving. You can smell it when the guy in front of you in traffic has his park brake on. On the other hand emergency brakes, in addition to the usual parking function, will usually accomplish something while the car's in motion, and they're usually the horsecock style yanker and easy to use while driving (as opposed to a pedal that you potentially have to dump the clutch to use).

TL,DR: footpedal brakes aren't for doriftu and "parking" brakes aren't for stopping a moving car.
That's, like, not at all true.

"The only reason they're called emergency brakes is this: if you use them while you're driving, you will cause an emergency."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_brake

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If that had even the ring of truth, cars in the 50s and 60s wouldn't have had the brake lever under the dash. And I assure you, my '66 Corvette's parking brake is just as worthless for anything besides holding as my '12 Wrangler's.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Though my 1970 E100's parking brake is uncomfortably strong. There's no forgetting that thing is engaged and driving around with it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009