Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm skeptical, I hand out opioids on a daily basis, most people don't form a kind of dependence despite the fact they clearly activate the same "biomarker" as opioids.

If you have links or anything I'd like to know

Also I suspect whatever effect this is, is not to do with fructose per se, but it's intense sweetness. I'm open to being wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Of course it is, but who's going to eat bitter sugar?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3139704/

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Hekia Parata has plans for schools, wonders why some schools are so defensive around her:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11538531

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
ur brain is hard wired to want sweet things since they were good to have as early humans because they gave energy in goodly amounts for the amount of effort required to get them

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Butt Wizard posted:

"What does a grown man want with 12 frosted pigs?"

I feel like this was underappreciated

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

To make it even more nz.jpg, I went to high school with that guy.

And a year of primary come to think of it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ghostlight posted:

Of course it is, but who's going to eat bitter sugar?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3139704/

after reading this I see the point, although like before I'd argue it's the sweetness not the fructose per se, which is why I didn't really agree with statements about "sugar" being additive, compared to say adding heroin to a cake. perhaps it's semantics..

regardless thanks for the link :)

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

NZAmoeba posted:

To make it even more nz.jpg, I went to high school with that guy.

And a year of primary come to think of it.

Was he an enormous oval office? Because he looks like an enormous oval office.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Definitely, definitely has tribals

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Happy Cam Slater's Birthday everybody!

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 3, 2015

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Happy Cam Slater's Birthday everybody!

Use https://www.donotlink.com or something, starve the odious poo poo of clicks too.

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 3, 2015

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

quote:

We were running on a very tight budget already because of our continuous legal costs.

Weird how most other people who aren't human trash don't have constant legal costs due to them being scum.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

mirthdefect posted:

Use https://www.donotlink.com or something, starve the odious poo poo of clicks too.
I actually tried but I kept getting an error when I put it in. Not even DoNotLink wants to touch Slater, apparently.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I actually tried but I kept getting an error when I put it in. Not even DoNotLink wants to touch Slater, apparently.

just prepend the url with "www.donotlink.com/" and it does it on the fly

http://www.donotlink.com/http://www.whaleoil.co.nz/2015/11/revealed-why-whaleoil-isnt-running-google-ads-any-longer/

e: uBlock also blocks some of the elements because it uses frames, so you might have issues with that too

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
I used Donotlink.

I read the link.

I laughed deeply.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
TV3 is cutting 3D, aka their last serious current affairs show that isn't on Saturday/Sunday morning

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Full text of the TPP released here: http://www.tpp.mfat.govt.nz/text

From twitter, looks like there's a (quite reasonable) Treaty exemption for NZ too:

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Just my 2c to get in there:

Any decent or thankfully mitigating clauses can only be attributed to the recognised fear of resistance, legal response, unpopularity as pointed out by tpp critics and the public over the last six years. Meanwhile being dismissed by Groser etc as baseless fears.

Now afterwards some will say "oh look its not that bad, people were on about nothing".

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Jacobin posted:

Just my 2c to get in there:

Any decent or thankfully mitigating clauses can only be attributed to the recognised fear of resistance, legal response, unpopularity as pointed out by tpp critics and the public over the last six years. Meanwhile being dismissed by Groser etc as baseless fears.

Now afterwards some will say "oh look its not that bad, people were on about nothing".

Totally agree, but you're dangerously close here to suggesting we have a working democracy

emminou
May 25, 2006

John Key can't help being eye candy.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

"Mr Key is in the top 25 per cent and edges the likes of Queen Elizabeth II, Pope Francis and Angela Merkel of Germany."

AHAHAHAHAH

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Wow, hotter than the Pope

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
hotter than two ugly old women and an ugly old man, wow, so proud

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Hotter Than The Pope sounds like either a sitcom, or a game show

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/jamespeshaw/status/662392450644754433

All Blacks flag on the beehive, definitely not an attempt to influence the referendum

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

https://twitter.com/jamespeshaw/status/662392450644754433

All Blacks flag on the beehive, definitely not an attempt to influence the referendum

Or like

because the all blacks parade was on today

and it started there

perhaps.

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007
What's the verdict on the TPPA for NZ now that the info is out? From what I gather, we don't seem to gain much and will adopt a bunch of American IP laws. So basically what was always expected?

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

jpparker55 posted:

What's the verdict on the TPPA for NZ now that the info is out? From what I gather, we don't seem to gain much and will adopt a bunch of American IP laws. So basically what was always expected?

Its hard to give a verdict just yet- there is a lot of material to work through.

Some things won't really be able to assessed until there is some evidence of the resources put into application and enforcement that could still be many years away. There will still be a lot of conflict, argument about how things go in practice.

Analogy: Consider New Zealand's 'skynet' IP infringement targeting law, holding the operators of WiFi networks more or less strictly liable for any infringement that happens on their network, your flatmate downloading the torrents and you might not even know etc.

Anyways the law gets brought in, everyone is scared, a handful of people get notices because someone downloaded Beyonce and its as bad as everyone thought for a few people who get dragged in Court and significant harm to their lives. Tough deal for them but well... they are under 20 people from memory... its not quite the Skynet levels of interference we were worried about. But the tribunal quickly starts to turn out to be a lumbering beast, the process of issuing the notices and so on is too costly to keep up purely for "deterrence" value and just grinding against all of the natural ways ISP's and internet user do things. All the lawyers and official folks who fill these committees start to see it not as some arm of innovative property enforcement but just a grind. Credit to ISP's and everyone who made it difficult for them, just as it was made a cost and difficult for them. We would now say the risk of being pinged under the law is very small, contained. Few or no notices have been issued recently and it seems like its more or less a dead-letter committee on its way out.

Unless you are getting on the level of that Mt Wellington mass-torrent seeder/creator FIFY or something, I would wager realistically you can just torrent and download as much as you did before that law came in just the same as before, really.

RE whats in the TPPA and in practice: some of the ships will come straight to harbour, some will run aground or get lost, some will just patrol around the EEZ trying to make sure we know they are there just in case.

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 6, 2015

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

"Mr Key is in the top 25 per cent and edges the likes of Queen Elizabeth II, Pope Francis and Angela Merkel of Germany."

AHAHAHAHAH

Heads of state are renowned for being total babes.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

If you've ever seen that list its hardly an honour to be included at all. There are literal 80year olds ahead of JK.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yeah holy crap. They are trying to spin that as a positive for JK, but looking at his relative place in the list he is really not doing well.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Turns out being disgusting on the inside manifests to being disgusting on the outside too

Who knew???

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Unrelated, but looking at that list reminded me of the president of Botswana Ian Khama, whose father Seretse Khama was an unrivalled badass and kind of an overlooked political hero. He was a tribal leader from Botswana who married a white woman and was exiled after apartheid South Africa put pressure on the British govt (as Botswana was a colony at the time). He renounced his tribal leadership which allowed him to return, but then formed a political independence party and led Botswana to the only peaceful transition from colonial government to democratic independence of any African colonial nation. Then in government he turned Botswana into one of the safest, most prosperous and least corrupt countries in the region.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/73727758/exconservative-leader-colin-craig-outed-as-mr-x

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:lol:

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

This is so great.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen

quote:

Craig said he didn't see any problems with talking about himself in the third person and framing it as an anonymous whistleblower

A normal sentence.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Colin Craig is a very cool insane person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Wait I'm confused. Is Colin Craig everyone posting in this thread?

• Locked thread