Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

you've gotten kinda low effort lately

He's always been "HEY SJW LOL SJW WHERE'S YOUR WEED"

The only difference is that sometimes his same old schtick is accompanied by a news article about how SJWs are weeding up their social justice weed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

PT6A posted:

I took an Uber tonight just to spite my useless city government, and I have to say it was pretty great. Burn the taxi cartels to the ground in every city and town across this great country!

I work in the taxi industry and I agree it is hosed, but do you think Uber would maintain its standards if they successfully wiped out the taxi industry?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Normy posted:

I work in the taxi industry and I agree it is hosed, but do you think Uber would maintain its standards if they successfully wiped out the taxi industry?

I genuinely hope it doesn't come to someone getting hurt, but I think we will learn a lot about Uber's standards when one of their passengers is maimed in an accident and the driver's insurance policy tells them all to gently caress permanently off.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

LegioPraetoria posted:

I've lurked various iterations of this thread for years and I'm shocked that anyone reads any CI post.

ftfy

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

you've gotten kinda low effort lately

Oh please, he hasn't hit Hal-levels of banme word salad.

...yet.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's a conspiracy, dummies! :byodood:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
"main street media"

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.
"democrat"

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 26, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

flakeloaf posted:

I genuinely hope it doesn't come to someone getting hurt, but I think we will learn a lot about Uber's standards when one of their passengers is maimed in an accident and the driver's insurance policy tells them all to gently caress permanently off.

A friend of mine is a lawyer for the company that is insuring Uber in Canada. Of the many problems that may be involved, I don't think that will be one of them. If a driver kills someone while not carrying a passenger: that will be the issue. The passenger has little to worry about; the driver could well be sued into poverty,

I won a beer tonight off betting that Canada has a better quality of life than Venezuela, so I'm in a swell mood at the moment.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

James Baud posted:

That you would laughingly dismiss something like this despite the readily available information regarding nonstop historical high level corruption in most everything rail and infrastructure related says more about your biases and a certain bit of "but that doesn't happen any more" naivety than anything else.

There's nothing implausible about the idea that Obama's opposition to the pipeline is motivated by corporate lobbying but that graphic is still pretty funny.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Bless them all. The economy of my province will suffer but the companies I work for which were banking on rail transport being the greatest thing ever will prosper at least as long as they can afford to pay my invoices.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
People are retards.

Lac-Megantic was the first major oil & gas freight accident in like a decade, if not longer. Most derailments are minor, rupture a car or two at most, and thus just aren't newsworthy as that cleanup takes a matter of days.

On the other hand, the amount of Oil & Gas lost to pipeline ruptures since 2000 alone could fuel North America for a number of years and cumulatively classifies as one of the worst natural disasters in human history.

People. Are. Retards.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 26, 2018

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's not about safety. Keystone, for whatever reason, has become a symbol of the environmental movement in the United States, with rejection of it standing in place for the notion that a large amount of the world's fossil fuels have to remain in the ground forever if we want to not be severely affected by global warming. Pipelines make it easier, faster, and cheaper to transport oil, which makes it easier, faster, and cheaper to extract and sell it, which encourages higher use of oil, which makes global warming worse. For better or for worse, in the United States Keystone XL is the most prominent symbol of this, and rejection of it can override a lot of other bad decision in the optics war--just look at how people have forgotten that Obama allowed drilling in the Alaskan wildlife reserve, just because that happened to be around the same time that he announced he would reject Keystone.

Pipelines aren't scary because they might spill oil, they're scary because they represent a subservience and subordination to the interests of an industry that is eventually going to kill us all, or at the very least make us dramatically readjust the ways we live our lives because the world becomes a more hostile place to live. Fundamentally, we should be rejecting all new pipelines on that principle alone, and even if Warren Buffett happens to make some money out of it (which is not outside the realm of possibility, but typically things that start with "FW: FW: FW: What the Main Street Media Won't Tell You!!!" are not reliable sources of information) I don't give a poo poo. In the US, the most high profile fossil fuel project that is currently the face of this issue is Keystone, and the fact that the various Democratic leaders have all said they oppose it is a good thing.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Cultural Imperial posted:

ITT, no one has ever heard of arbitrage

I hate to quote a CI post but I'm still wondering what this was supposed to be in response to, or is it just a mini-Hal post apropos of nothing?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

PT6A posted:

A friend of mine is a lawyer for the company that is insuring Uber in Canada. Of the many problems that may be involved, I don't think that will be one of them. If a driver kills someone while not carrying a passenger: that will be the issue. The passenger has little to worry about; the driver could well be sued into poverty,

That is pretty interesting, thanks

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Helsing posted:

"main street media"

"Buffet"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

eXXon posted:

I hate to quote a CI post but I'm still wondering what this was supposed to be in response to, or is it just a mini-Hal post apropos of nothing?

Apparently CI is a big fan of Richard Gere. Who knew.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
In daily Harjit Sajjan is awesome news he patented his own gas mask for sikh soldiers to use with their beards

Here's the patent

(God I wish I worked on his staff)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah he is something else. Definitely one of, if not the, most intriguing new cabinet ministers.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
"Next caller, Vito from Woodbridge"

Hey Ezra love your show. Yeah I'd just like to say this clown troo dough is a capodicazzi. Four Muslims and no Italians? Who does he think he is? Yknow this is the real racism...who do you think built this country? It's like a plate of spaghetti without tomato sauce if you catch my drift. The liberals are ruining the country and my community. We couldn't even get an Italian hero like Julian fantino elected in Vaughan because of the ethnic vote! Anyway, when we're taxed into giving up our cottages and can't even afford a veal on Sundays we'll see what the REAL people of this country want. Go leafs!

"Some good points there Vito. A quick commercial break and then we're gonna discuss whether or not women are bad drivers. Stay tuned"

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

FTFY

(Just kidding as well. The guy is actually pretty chill, and isn't that upset about not being in cabinet)

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Aagar posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rona-ambrose-will-support-inquiry-into-missing-murdered-indigenous-women-1.3308463

Excellent news, the now official opposition is totally on board to support an inquiry into missing and murdered indigenous women!

I am completely convinced that after a decade of actively trying to squash this, the CPC is now totally on board with getting to the bottom of this issue, and it is a breath of fresh air to see that they will support the LPC, even though the LPC has a majority and can order it even if Harper threatens to stand in the House topless.

Is this the new strategy then? Have every CPC MP come out and say that they were really progressive after all, but because of big, bad Harper they were all muzzled and couldn't speak the message that they wanted to promote? Not that I don't think there's a lot of truth to that, just that it seems a day late and a dollar short to try and jump on the bandwagon now. Also, it seems logical to conclude that if they actually were so vehemently opposed to Harper in spirit, why did they toady along instead of speaking out? Rather spineless "leaders" - who else would they kow-tow to if put into power again?

Between this and Tony Clement telling us he liked the long form census all along I think this is the strategy. The thing is, there's a good chance it could backfire. Harper may have muzzled the "progressive" wing of the party, but he also muzzled the troglodytes on the backbench. If the progressive wing starts speaking more openly the conservative wing might feel it's time for the world to hear their opinions too. I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing some rifts in the party over social issues in the next few years, especially with the number of social issues Trudeau has on his agenda.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

HappyHippo posted:

Between this and Tony Clement telling us he liked the long form census all along I think this is the strategy. The thing is, there's a good chance it could backfire. Harper may have muzzled the "progressive" wing of the party, but he also muzzled the troglodytes on the backbench. If the progressive wing starts speaking more openly the conservative wing might feel it's time for the world to hear their opinions too. I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing some rifts in the party over social issues in the next few years, especially with the number of social issues Trudeau has on his agenda.

Rona did declare she wants a faith based caucus and government. Just not which faith.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Normy posted:

What intrigues me about Uber and the rest of the "sharing" economy is that it is the same model as the coal mines in the late 1800s - a rich gate-keeper providing access to a resource for individual "contractors" who have to send their product to market through the gatekeeper and his infrastructure. Less chance of getting crushed in a cave-in and the gas exposure is nauseating rather than fatal, but still.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

That is pretty interesting, thanks

As far as I can tell, the other issue is any claim made on the driver's personal policy could be rejected unless they have commercial insurance. It's my understanding that Uber covers liability (up to $5 million), but nothing else. So, if you wreck your car while driving someone and they are injured, that will be covered. You, on the other hand, will be told to go pound sand if you make an insurance claim for the damage to your car. This isn't exactly uncommon, mind you -- I'm guessing perhaps 1% of pizza delivery drivers, for example, carry commercial insurance as they are theoretically required to.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Who ever bought me this av, thank you so much. It rocks!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

bunnyofdoom posted:

That is a pretty drat good avatar

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

bunnyofdoom posted:

You're welcome.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

bunnyofdoom posted:

I'm not gonna lie, I saw that mic drop shrug and became 100% more hopeful for the future.

Canada has been in a meme recession for so long, our global meme marketshare is really looking to improve with J-boy in da hause.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I'm hoping for a 2000% rise in canpol related avatars.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So, who will get the JT paperdoll as an av?

Kafka Esq. posted:

You're welcome.

:dance:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

:swoon:

That's a well-done av right there.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

flakeloaf posted:

:swoon:

That's a well-done av right there.

Credit where credit is due:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, who will get the JT paperdoll as an av?

Needs to zoom back and forth between his face and the maple leaf imo

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Seems that at least in my quarantined online extended friends of friends circle, the go-to name for Trudeau is now "Trudy Trudough". Because Trudy is a woman's name, and women are weak of course, and dough because, something to do with having money or spending money, I guess?

People are so loving weird. At least let the guy actually enact a somewhat centrist policy that doesn't actually change your life at all before you get all bent out of shape about it.

-----

Nice new av bunny. Gotta admit months back I thought you were a nice guy but a bit of a fool for working so hard for an obviously doomed and pointless campaign. Even lost $50 betting on a Con win! Never been happier to be wrong.

Grats on winning the CanPol thread. Sunny ways, bitches.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

The Butcher posted:

Seems that at least in my quarantined online extended friends of friends circle, the go-to name for Trudeau is now "Trudy Trudough". Because Trudy is a woman's name, and women are weak of course, and dough because, something to do with having money or spending money, I guess?

People are so loving weird. At least let the guy actually enact a somewhat centrist policy that doesn't actually change your life at all before you get all bent out of shape about it.

-----

Nice new av bunny. Gotta admit months back I thought you were a nice guy but a bit of a fool for working so hard for an obviously doomed and pointless campaign. Even lost $50 betting on a Con win! Never been happier to be wrong.

Grats on winning the CanPol thread. Sunny ways, bitches.

Eh, I've lost a couple friends for poo poo worse that than. Apparently, even getting electing and having brown people in cabinet is enough to doom canada somehow.

I'd be lying if I said I never had any doubts, but after the first couple debates, I realized that we were gonna win, (read:drank some very nice flavour-aid) and just started doing all I could to do so.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

PT6A posted:

I took an Uber tonight just to spite my useless city government, and I have to say it was pretty great. Burn the taxi cartels to the ground in every city and town across this great country!

At some point I'm going to try out this new eCab thing as in Vancouver, without Uber or Lyft, this is the next best thing. Essentially it allows you to book cabs using your phone and have all the payment be handled automatically just like Uber, but it connects you with some nearby traditional cab. In Vancouver I believe all the cab companies are using it, so that ought to be a large pool.

I'm curious to see how good the experience will be, because it brings a great deal of the benefits of Uber without changing the existing system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Femtosecond posted:

At some point I'm going to try out this new eCab thing as in Vancouver, without Uber or Lyft, this is the next best thing. Essentially it allows you to book cabs using your phone and have all the payment be handled automatically just like Uber, but it connects you with some nearby traditional cab. In Vancouver I believe all the cab companies are using it, so that ought to be a large pool.

I'm curious to see how good the experience will be, because it brings a great deal of the benefits of Uber without changing the existing system.

I've used it several times and it's alright. Got me some quick cabs on Halloween when the wait on the phone would have been really long.

A lot of drivers don't really understand how it works still but they're getting used to it. They can still reject your trip for whatever reason so you might end up waiting for awhile. It first finds the closest cab and then throws your trip into that company's system. Once your in a certain company's system your trip is stuck there. You do get to give immediate feedback through the app and it is actually getting acted on.

The biggest problem with cabs in Vancouver in my opinion is that they can pick and choose which jobs to take. They're all shareholders in their company so the consequences for being lovely are very minimal.