Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Mitt Romney posted:

Trump would have better luck going against Carson on the stabbing, hammer attack, grains and grizzly bear (if it's real). Seems like the majority of the GOP is getting behind Carson on the West Point thing.

The grizzly bear is extremely obviously fake, my man, but you have a point on the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Zwabu posted:

I realized tonight that I'm really pissed at the way the press has covered the story about GHWB criticizing the role Cheney and Rumsfeld played in the GWB administration.

The media has only covered the superficial "oh no he dint" aspect of the criticism and the reaction of Cheney and Rumsfeld to it.

The broader implications are not touched upon at all.

One of the biggest critiques against ANY current GOP pol seeking the presidency, but JEB in particular, is the fact that the same neocon foreign policy, run by the same exact people, will likely be featured in any such administration. And there has not been a full or honest accounting or acknowledgment of error by Republicans about the Iraq invasion, preparation for 9/11 or any of it.

It's notable for GHWB to make these critiques, and it's a strong if a bit indirect critique of GWB foreign policy, coming from an elder GOP statesman who worked with and employed those same people.

So a reasonable and necessary element of a story about this, in my opinion, would include examining Jeb making up his foreign policy team out of GWB retreads and whether recycled neocon foreign policy is right or what America should want. And just like Trump bringing up that 9/11 happened on GWB's watch, it's a Republican giving the opening, but the press doesn't want to take it.

Everyone's still cowed by residual Bush administration intimidation from the immediate 9/11 fallout.

It would be a huge story if Jeb wasn't bleeding on the ground and Carson imploding shortly after. If Jeb somehow gets the nom I think it'll be brought up.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Lotka Volterra posted:

You don't spontaneously become convinced that you tried to stab people and had meetings with famous generals when they didn't happen. Generally the memories that are made from whole cloth are not, you know, the ones that are the most important.

Didn't he actually meet Westmoreland though? And when it comes to religious awakenings, I wouldn't put anything past the human brain, I honestly think he could have become convinced that he tried to stab a friend and it led him to Jesus. Based on fantasies or moments he almost did that or whatever.

The brain's ability to gently caress up is just an interesting topic to me, I won't say you're wrong and I certainly won't give Carson the benefit of the doubt, it just reminded me of an interesting subject. :shobon:

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

hey gently caress you buddy, i met with general barack obama in '88 and he gave me a full ride scholarship to rev. wright's northwestern university program of islam studies

i had to pass because saddam hussein brought me to defeat iranian chemical weapons and single-handedly bring the peace to middle east that lasts to this day

you too? Barack Obama sold me bad weed in '76

OctoberBlues posted:

Didn't he actually meet Westmoreland though? And when it comes to religious awakenings, I wouldn't put anything past the human brain, I honestly think he could have become convinced that he tried to stab a friend and it led him to Jesus. Based on fantasies or moments he almost did that or whatever.

The brain's ability to gently caress up is just an interesting topic to me, I won't say you're wrong and I certainly won't give Carson the benefit of the doubt, it just reminded me of an interesting subject. :shobon:

Westmoreland was apparently in D.C. on the day/week/month that Ben Carson says he met him.

It'd be as if I had created a memory of the above. You generally don't just suddenly remember that you met famous people when it didn't really happen unless you're lying.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

OctoberBlues posted:

Didn't he actually meet Westmoreland though?

The records show that he might have attended the same dinner as Westmoreland, but not the same dinner as he describes. Those were two separate events.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

overdesigned posted:

Man, Carson's book is crazier than we all thought.

source

Friend bear :allears:

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006
Friend Bear 2016

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
I found Carson's ghostwriter:

http://on.cc.com/1kgAxAF

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

How is Jeb! Handling all these news?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

he's probably ecstatic about someone else's campaign imploding for once

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

KidVanguard posted:

I found Carson's ghostwriter:

http://on.cc.com/1kgAxAF

I never knew that Ben Carson worked with jungle children and knew Steve Jobs

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

hey gently caress you buddy, i met with general barack obama in '88 and he gave me a full ride scholarship to rev. wright's northwestern university program of islam studies

i had to pass because saddam hussein brought me to defeat iranian chemical weapons and single-handedly bring the peace to middle east that lasts to this day

Obama's a pretty chill dude. Too chill, in my experience. He washed out of the Mars program we were in. Couldn't hack the teleportation matrix.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Running apologia for Carson. Apologizer in chief.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

The grizzly bear is extremely obviously fake, my man, but you have a point on the rest.

I can't tell whats real and satire anymore I feel like I'm too old or something to be watching this election.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Trump is going to destroy Carson and it doesn't matter what any of the other candidates say about it. I specifically expect there to be a jab about the West Point thing where Trump brings up that it's the day before Veteran's Day.

Trump has his own "I was basically in the military, except I dodged the draft." background. Best to avoid playing who's the biggest chickenhawk, because everyone loses. Except Jim Webb.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I feel like the last few days the Carson campaign call for a new thread title.

Words fail me, though, for how to destill this insanity into one sentence

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sono posted:

Trump has his own "I was basically in the military, except I dodged the draft." background. Best to avoid playing who's the biggest chickenhawk, because everyone loses. Except Jim Webb.
Well as we have long established, honorable and brave military service = cowardly treachery if you're a Democrat, while dodging the draft = intense military masculinity if you're a Republican. Thank God these guys are starting to die.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Friend Ben.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

drat. Seeing Carson angry is surreal.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

William Bear posted:

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

OctoberBlues posted:

MannaTech. Possible side effects: lethargy, drowsiness, slurred speech, false memories, desire to run a failed presidential campaign.

My great aunt actually acquired Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome after decades of heavy drinking. It was obviously pretty sad but also really interesting to see how the brain can invent false memories so quickly. I don't think anything like that's going on with Carson obviously but the human brain is pretty weird sometimes.

I think the main take-away from this is that Carson really sucks at dealing with criticism. Being caught lying about West Point isn't even a skeleton in the closet -- it's like a little finger-bone at best. Then Carson and his campaign just melt down over the whole affair. Meanwhile last cycle we had Newt Gingrich running around and every time the media scrutinized him it was like loving Dia De Los Muertos but he always shrugged it off.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

AsInHowe posted:

The records show that he might have attended the same dinner as Westmoreland, but not the same dinner as he describes. Those were two separate events.

It was years ago. It's not out of the question that he misremembered when specific events happened in a few months' period a long time ago. I think it's a really insubstantial thing to attack Carson on, especially since even West Point is defending him. His lovely policies are enough reason to dislike him and deserve more attention.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ben Carson: Ceci nest pas une every god drat thing

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

ashgromnies posted:

It was years ago. It's not out of the question that he misremembered when specific events happened in a few months' period a long time ago. I think it's a really insubstantial thing to attack Carson on, especially since even West Point is defending him. His lovely policies are enough reason to dislike him and deserve more attention.

Too late. The media is turning Ben Carson into a hero with their unsubstantiated smears and a chorus of liberal lackeys cheering CARSONS DONE.. CARSONS DONE based on nothing but their own prejudice against Republicans and racism against Black People

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I am racist against grizzly bears

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

nachos posted:

I am racist

This is all I've read for the past 30 pages

BristolSOF
Jan 19, 2003

Lotka Volterra posted:

You don't spontaneously become convinced that you tried to stab people and had meetings with famous generals when they didn't happen. Generally the memories that are made from whole cloth are not, you know, the ones that are the most important.

I wonder if anybody will bring up Hillary's famous memory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZHO1vo762c

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

BristolSOF posted:

I was actually thinking of that when I was posting

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

I love the dumb commenters that post "Trump/Carson 2016!" and "Trump and Carson are standing up to the liberal media!" when Trump is siding against Carson in this situation. Even one of the reporters in that video brings that up.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

BristolSOF posted:

Don't worry that will be brought up in a billion attack ads next summer.

BristolSOF
Jan 19, 2003

Lotka Volterra posted:

I was actually thinking of that when I was posting

Also - I love Hillary's explanation (which only came out because there was video) "Hey, it's a misspeak"
No, this is a misspeak -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGH02DtIws

Describing in detail something that didn't happened to fit a fictional narrative to bolster your presidential aspirations is not misspeak, it's a lie.

All politicians embellish on some level (some more than others); but the press doesn't care as much when it's a democrat who "misspoke" or experienced "sleep deprivation or something."

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

nachos posted:

I am racist against grizzly bears

What about black bears?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Another Scandal.

quote:

Go and support Ben Car-son/For our next President and be awe-some

Carson's campaign is INSISTING that this rhymes...

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
The liberal rag the Wall Street Journal poked around Carson's past and was unable to confirm a tale about him saving a group of white kids from riotous Negros:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/ben-carsons-past-faces-deeper-questions-1446861864

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
All the republican candidates are backing Carson because they don't want his supporters to go to Trump. Just lol

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've been out of the loop for the past few days, can somebody other than Smoothrich please catch me up on the Carson stuff? The last scandal of his I heard about was him shilling for MannaTech.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Wanamingo posted:

I've been out of the loop for the past few days, can somebody other than Smoothrich please catch me up on the Carson stuff? The last scandal of his I heard about was him shilling for MannaTech.

Googling it would be quicker.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

William Bear posted:

The Surprising Adventures of Baron Bencarson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Wanamingo posted:

In short, Carson may have fabricated several events in "Gifted Hands".

Also, he thinks all those Egyptologists that say that the pyramids were tombs are full of poo poo, and that Joseph built the pyramids to store grain.

• Locked thread