Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Wild Horses posted:

Because building literal ghettoes always works out. After Miljonprogrammen i don't think people are that hot to try again.

Miljonprogrammen actually provided housing that was pretty attractive by the standards of the day (all modern amenities, etc, while in Gamla Stan you still had dry closets out in the yard well into the 70's - my mom lived for some time in an attic there while studying in the early 70's), and it was certainly better than living in someone's closet. The segregation was a problem that came later, not the fault of the housing itself.

In other news, this is seriously weird: http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=83&artikel=6296885
My bet it on someone losing contact with it and just leaving it there, but who knows. There's all kinds of Clancychat making the rounds.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Nice piece of fish posted:

How about stop making GBS threads down this thread with your opinion as if it matters or is relevant to scandinavian politics or concerns. You don't speak our languages, you don't know anything about us, and I have real concerns that you may decide to do something violent to asylum seekers if you get a chance. I hope you're on a loving list somewhere.

I'm a MONGOL for fucks sake, of course I don't speak Norwegian, we are a horde that devastates and linguistics isn't exactly our forte

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Please don't drag their name in the dirt by having it associated with you sir, thanks.

konna
Aug 1, 2005

FinnThread is dead. Do you take refugees? My only skill is bilingual shitposting.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

konna posted:

FinnThread is dead. Do you take refugees? My only skill is bilingual shitposting.
This is literally spurdopol at this point with all the Finno-Ugric poo poo-posters present. Just grab your own bed, IKEA has "run out of them." :derp:

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

There's a new Finnish Thread, go post in that one.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

konna posted:

Generous, wonderful scandinavia will take in the unwashed masses. Come right in friend.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I can post awful messages that break the minds of ScandiPol readers in three languages.

Am I an enriching, culturally enabling force of economic growth with lots of views about LGBT rights or should I escape?

konna
Aug 1, 2005

rear end cobra posted:

Generous, wonderful scandinavia will take in the unwashed masses. Come right in friend.

Too late, the mongol horde is calling me home.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

konna posted:

Too late, the mongol horde is calling me home.
Prinsessa on toisessa linna. :saddowns:

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

TheFluff posted:

Miljonprogrammen actually provided housing that was pretty attractive by the standards of the day (all modern amenities, etc, while in Gamla Stan you still had dry closets out in the yard well into the 70's - my mom lived for some time in an attic there while studying in the early 70's), and it was certainly better than living in someone's closet. The segregation was a problem that came later, not the fault of the housing itself.

The problems of miljonprogrammen are kinda inherent to the location and ideology of the time. It was by design cut off from the rest of the city. And high rises are personally very depressing. Segregation came later, but now there's a clear divide between inner city and projects in multiple ways, and i believe this hurts the city a lot.
Making a lot of new houses, quickly, for the refugees could end really badly.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Wild Horses posted:

The problems of miljonprogrammen are kinda inherent to the location and ideology of the time. It was by design cut off from the rest of the city. And high rises are personally very depressing. Segregation came later, but now there's a clear divide between inner city and projects in multiple ways, and i believe this hurts the city a lot.

They don't actually need houses. What the gently caress, that's racist? Since when migrants needed anywhere to live.

You can just drop them in ditches because there is space in forests.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Wild Horses posted:

They were also only meant to last so long and if the Jugoslavian civil war hadn't happened, they would probably have been torn down by now, since we had a surplus of housing in the 90s.

Ligur posted:

They don't actually need houses. What the gently caress, that's racist? Since when migrants needed anywhere to live.

You can just drop them in ditches because there is space in forests.

According to tweets from anonymous MigV workers buses with asylum seekers are told to drive slowly since MigV don't know where to put them.

Also, MSB can only build tents for 4k asylum seekers, while MigV wanted 100k.
Finally, Germany put harder rules on asylum seekers yesterday, so it is not going to get better.
Hint: If you have planned on a skiing vacation in Sweden in winter, I would reschedule since guess who lives in those places now.

Next up, a new asylum agreement between S&M, which will cause the current ruling coalition to fall and glorious chaos will occur.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Cardiac posted:

According to tweets from anonymous MigV workers buses with asylum seekers are told to drive slowly since MigV don't know where to put them.

Also, MSB can only build tents for 4k asylum seekers, while MigV wanted 100k.

Racist stuff.

Sweden has the capacity to house everyone.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Seems to me it might be worth considering something akin to Miljonprogrammet again, taking into account what we hopefully learned the first time around to do better.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

Yes

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh my god.

Woebin posted:

Seems to me it might be worth considering something akin to Miljonprogrammet again, taking into account what we hopefully learned the first time around to do better.

People tend to forget today that Miljonprogrammet, despite its legacy, accomplished exactly what it set out to do. At the end of it the housing market had gone from under-supplied to over-supplied.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

production of apartments/year

we rode the miljonprogrammet wave for a long time, but the gig is pretty much up now

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 7, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

TheFluff posted:

production of apartments/year

we rode the miljonprogrammet wave for a long time, but the gig is pretty much up now

B-b-b-b-but what about the free market :qq:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The invisible hand of the free market couldn't be trusted to wipe its own rear end.

I applaud the suggestion of a new Miljonprogrammet. The leap from student housing to your own apartment is just too long, and in various cities there's significant inflation in the points system. If we're going to get thousands of new citizens via EU migration and war-refugees, surely there needs to be houses for them to live in.

An over-supplied housing market would be better for the consumer in the long run, surely. And there'll be new areas for gentrification in 50 years as well!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

The invisible hand of the free market couldn't be trusted to wipe its own rear end.

To be fair, neither could goons.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I can, with a rag on a stick.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

B-but "stadsbilden", you can't build houses there/that high/big/color, you will regret this! :qq:

And everyone knows that increased kollektivtrafik (*especially* metros) summonslead to förortsproblem.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=83&artikel=6293103

This shouldn't surprise anyone, but not many people want to be professional soldiers. Reinstate conscription/civil defense training and/or some kind of do-three-months-for-the-community duty. Also, instate full communism now.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
I'm all for reinstating (reactivating?) conscription. Not only because we need more people in the military, which we do, but also because I'm pretty sure it would have positive effects on youth unemployment etc.

Plus full communism, obviously.

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Nov 9, 2015

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Teaching 18 year olds to take care of their poo poo and getting up in the morning is also good for their future development (getting a safe outlet for their hormones and such), as well as lessening unemployment.

Full communism now! All hail our Glorious Leader, Premier Löfven!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

(getting a safe outlet for their hormones and such)

Yeah that sounds like the military. Safe outlet.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

TheFluff posted:

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=83&artikel=6293103

This shouldn't surprise anyone, but not many people want to be professional soldiers. Reinstate conscription/civil defense training and/or some kind of do-three-months-for-the-community duty. Also, instate full communism now.

gently caress doing Högvakt and gently caress Lejonbacken in February. Högvakt is probably my main reason for abolishing our monarchy
Also, how many in this thread have actually done any military service? Ie do you know how mindnumbingly boring it actually is and how it basically is kindergarten for 20 year old males?

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yeah that sounds like the military. Safe outlet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLjBDB2lkiw

Ah SIBO på Rena. ~memories~

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Teaching 18 year olds to take care of their poo poo and getting up in the morning is also good for their future development (getting a safe outlet for their hormones and such), as well as lessening unemployment.

As someone from a country that still has conscription I can confirm that most everyone forgets how to take care of their poo poo and get up in the morning about five minutes after getting back to civilian life.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Cardiac posted:

gently caress doing Högvakt and gently caress Lejonbacken in February. Högvakt is probably my main reason for abolishing our monarchy
Also, how many in this thread have actually done any military service? Ie do you know how mindnumbingly boring it actually is and how it basically is kindergarten for 20 year old males?

The fact that nobody wants to do it is the reason we need to force people into it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Cerebral Bore posted:

As someone from a country that still has conscription I can confirm that most everyone forgets how to take care of their poo poo and get up in the morning about five minutes after getting back to civilian life.

Maybe I'm just idealistic and have no idea about how society works.

But that won't stop me from making sweeping generalisations!

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
I'm all for conscription now that I don't have to do it.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Fox Cunning posted:

Detta.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
M in presser right now. Suggests, in effect, closing the borders.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Fox Cunning posted:

Hypocrite

TheFluff posted:

The fact that nobody wants to do it is the reason we need to force people into it.

I have never been sorry about doing my conscription, and it was more or less optional for me i.e. if I faked enough it would have been the reserve.

But some positions were just a waste of time, like those guys that got regimental guard duty or Livvakten that gets to do högvakten a huge number of times.
FYI, Högvakten is 99% boredom and 1% people peeing on the castle, except the dudes at Drottningholm that got to see into the Kings living room or watch Madeleine sneak out for a smoke.
Military conscription would probably be much better if the connection to outside military skills were larger, like for example get a truck driving licence, medical training, car fixing or telecom education.
That plus one year of firing automatic weapons, RPGs and handling heavy machinery while also getting fit is a pretty good incitament for doing that crap.
Nowadays, my impression of FM is basically as an recruitment process for our international peace-keeping things.

Edit:
M just told SD to gently caress off and go play with the kids.
http://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/15-00-presskonferens-med-m-om-flyktingkrisen
drat you Cake

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

M in presser right now. Suggests, in effect, closing the borders.

There was one thing that caught my interest,

quote:

Sverige bör kräva rabatt på EU-avgiften, eftersom vi har högre kostnader än andra EU-länder för asylsökande.

Because seriously, gently caress the EU.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth

Cardiac posted:

Hypocrite

Hey I did the mönstring I just said I was allergic to dust and grass, my dismissal is on The Man not on me. I still want the kiddos to defend me though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Article from The Economist that we just might have some problems with the bubble.
http://www.economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21677671-house-prices-sweden-continue-soar-regulators-despair-home-where

TheFluff posted:

Or Förvarsmakten could fire the people who are responsible for the ads into the sun while also increasing the benefits for the soldiers.

• Locked thread