Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
It is true that there is this ridiculous difficulty gap between Normal Alex/Ravan Ex/Bismark Ex and then Savage Alex. WoW managed to get away with this by having 3 raid difficulty tiers, but when this game only effectively has one, and it's equivalent to WoWs hardest tier (actually harder if pulls to beat is the number to go by), then you have this huge gap of intermediate level raiders that have no content to play.

I honestly just think they need at least 1 more difficulty and/or 1 or 2 more battles in each raid tier, probably 1 easier then A1S and one between A2S and A3s (and have A2s be before A1S). Their raid fights tend to all have several phases that are almost entirely different fights, so they could just split those into two easier fights for some easier early raid battles or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
They couldn't make Alex 5 floors, they already ran out of visual ideas for environment and boss design.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

the difficulty gap is literally a question of if you have functional fingers or not

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Even ignoring difficulty curve I think we can all agree that having all of 4 raid bosses to fight for what seems like it's going to be the better part of around 8 months is pretty lame.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

goldjas posted:

It is true that there is this ridiculous difficulty gap between Normal Alex/Ravan Ex/Bismark Ex and then Savage Alex. WoW managed to get away with this by having 3 raid difficulty tiers, but when this game only effectively has one, and it's equivalent to WoWs hardest tier (actually harder if pulls to beat is the number to go by), then you have this huge gap of intermediate level raiders that have no content to play.

I honestly just think they need at least 1 more difficulty and/or 1 or 2 more battles in each raid tier, probably 1 easier then A1S and one between A2S and A3s (and have A2s be before A1S). Their raid fights tend to all have several phases that are almost entirely different fights, so they could just split those into two easier fights for some easier early raid battles or something.

They could also not design fights that don't constantly highlight the games lovely networking.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Iron Tusk posted:

They could also not design fights that don't constantly highlight the games lovely networking.

In A3s, they made a conscious effort to not use the Tether mechanic they designed for T13 (which worked very reliably/well) and instead used the godawful T8 tethers. There was no reason to do this. The fight was not improved in any way by doing it.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
I agree that Savage should be cosmetic and relegated to the realm of the poopsocker but that doesn't look like the path SE is going to take.

Despite Alexander being a fairly unsatisfactory tier I think it does bring to light how incapable of introspection the average raid team is. I've watched several raid teams bang their head against A3/4S for weeks on end, trying the same strategy, making the same mistakes, wiping to the same mechanic day-in day-out. When a suggestion is broached or a criticism given their reaction is almost always negative or burdened onto another member. This is a product of a raiding community used to coasting; their individual performance never under scrutiny.

Alexander could have been implemented better and I hope SE takes this experience to heart but I feel strongly that the raiding community as a whole is just terribly weak as self-examiners.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
After talking about Protean Wave for probably 1/4th of our total time in A3S I never want to talk about raid strategies ever again.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Ciaphas posted:

What the hell happened, I thought this was the game that could do drat near no wrong and now everyone's all doomy and gloomy over a raid. :smith:

The only thing that happened is the first or second longest span between content since the relaunch. That's it. Expansion was June 20th or so and we are just shy of half a year since new content (yes I know technically alex savage was a month after launch shut up).

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chyea posted:

I may be in the minority but at this point in the game there's really not a valid reason for a raid team to be complaining about difficulty. The game is not rocket surgery; everything you need to know to beat a fight is laid out in numerous videos and guides. If players, nay raiders, aren't willing to put in the modicum of effort to improve then why bother raiding at all.

That being said, SE did make some horrendous oversights (the sac strat for A4S).

The Wildstar school of game development, worked wonders for them.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Chyea posted:

Despite Alexander being a fairly unsatisfactory tier I think it does bring to light how incapable of introspection the average raid team is. I've watched several raid teams bang their head against A3/4S for weeks on end, trying the same strategy, making the same mistakes, wiping to the same mechanic day-in day-out. When a suggestion is broached or a criticism given their reaction is almost always negative or burdened onto another member. This is a product of a raiding community used to coasting; their individual performance never under scrutiny.
Haha, is this post talking trash on everyone else's victories retroactively? Amazing.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chyea posted:

I may be in the minority but at this point in the game there's really not a valid reason for a raid team to be complaining about difficulty. The game is not rocket surgery; everything you need to know to beat a fight is laid out in numerous videos and guides. If players, nay raiders, aren't willing to put in the modicum of effort to improve then why bother raiding at all.

That being said, SE did make some horrendous oversights (the sac strat for A4S).

Players will put a modicum of effort if there's a payoff to the energy they invested, and I'm willing to bet that for most players, there is not. In WoW during its height raiding was vast and the main allure of the game, and I've seen people raiding for the competitive aspect of the raiding community, for the social aspect of playing coop with their teammates, for the social aspect of getting fat loot and showing off, for the social aspect of playing what was seen as the main activity of the game, for the sheer fun of overcoming how the battles were designed, for loot that would help them in PvP, for getting items that would make their character look cool, for the variety of bosses and themes in each raid and how they looked cool. It's not binary, usually people are in for a mix of these (even the vain stuff they don't want to admit) and they all combined together to form raiding in WoW in general.

I think the main player base outgrew these elements. Some of the older players are probably tired of heroic raiding or don't have the time/commitment necessary to something they've already done dozens of times, and the new players definitely won't see raiding as the endgame that it used to be because the content isn't published as the ultimate end-all-be-all of the game as it was in WoW vanilla/tbc/wotlk, and many of the reasons for players to raid that I said are very subdued in FFXIV/2015. There is not enough content or perceived diversity of content for that to happen.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 7, 2015

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011

Potato Jones posted:

Haha, is this post talking trash on everyone else's victories retroactively? Amazing.

No, the intent was to address the reasons many groups fall apart upon attempting the later floors of Alexander.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

This game owns and of course people are taking a break it's been 4.5 months since the expansion and the devs and players all needed a goddamned break.

I look forward to the crying about how much a5-8s suck while nobody actually unsubs and we keep enjoying this game come February.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Basically if this patch had dropped a month ago we wouldn't probably be hearing this talk until exactly now when raiders were facing the same "we ain't got poo poo to do" they are now, previously as I recall, off patches introduced savage modes? Maybe I'm not remembering right.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'm kind of glad the devs took some time off after HW since I was kind if sincerely worried about them because of how fast content was coming out between 2.1 and 3.0.

I'm still really excited for 3.1 and I'm glad it's finally coming out, of course. But compared to the year+ content gaps you see in, say, WoW, it's hard to get bent out of shape over like four months.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
The difference is who is leaving and the permanence of their leaving compared to previous lulls.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Meanwhile we're also up a whole new free company that's super active and seeing new players and old faces alike and the patch hasn't even dropped yet.

Bitter vets leave, fresh blood enters, others come and go as other obligations or interests pop up, it's the circle of imaginary catgirl life.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Chyea posted:

No, the intent was to address the reasons many groups fall apart upon attempting the later floors of Alexander.
Which, at its core, is still just :gitgud:, something I can totally agree with. But the added one-two punch that "everyone else is too bad to get good" and "nobody else was ever good anyway" sounds petty coming from someone who has been to the top of the mountain.

Either way, it's no skin off my nose, it just came across pretty sour.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
belzac has the inside scoop on people who aren't playing final fantasy anymore. could you be one of them? find out tonight when his shocking expose releases

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
I for one am worried about the state of the game that people are leaving in which you can dress up as a spooky ghost dragon girl with an afro.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

While people are going on about the difficulty of Alexander Savage I just got out of an Aery where I had to use an AoE LB2 to make sure we passed the Massacre DPS check on Nidhogg

I'm not sure what point I wanted to make with this, if any, but boy that was frustrating. I may have gotten Mad At People Who PlayVideo Games :smith:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Chyea posted:

I mean to be fair this is kind of like saying "if you like it when it's warm then why are you bitching about your hand being on fire and your flesh turning to ash???"

A thing can be nice and fun, up to a point. It seems that AS crosses the threshold into unfun for most. :shrug:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Belzac posted:

The difference is who is leaving and the permanence of their leaving compared to previous lulls.

How can you tell someone permanently left if the patch hasnt even hit yet.

Anyways earnings report came out for SE and despite having a steep drop during the lull, the revenue is still higher than at any point in 2.0, and this isnt taking into account 3.1 yet.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Empress Theonora posted:

I'm kind of glad the devs took some time off after HW since I was kind if sincerely worried about them because of how fast content was coming out between 2.1 and 3.0.

I'm still really excited for 3.1 and I'm glad it's finally coming out, of course. But compared to the year+ content gaps you see in, say, WoW, it's hard to get bent out of shape over like four months.

Except wow gives you 10-13 bosses for that year. We get 4 bosses for 4 months. So it's relatively similar.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cao Ni Ma posted:

How can you tell someone permanently left if the patch hasnt even hit yet.

Anyways earnings report came out for SE and despite having a steep drop during the lull, the revenue is still higher than at any point in 2.0, and this isnt taking into account 3.1 yet.

:ssh:

The narrative...

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Chyea posted:

The game is not rocket surgery; everything you need to know to beat a fight is laid out in numerous videos and guides.
That is a pretty bad way to measure how hard something is.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Chyea posted:

The game is not rocket surgery; everything you need to know to beat a fight is laid out in numerous videos and guides.

Martman posted:

That is a pretty bad way to measure how hard something is.

Chyea posted:

Most of the progression raiders in this game are in it for the puzzle solving and interfering with that process isn't something we want to do.

It's fun. We find it enjoyable. It's like solving a massive, painful, moving puzzle with seven other people.

The reward is solving the puzzle. If someone gets a clear beforehand, it's a little demoralizing but I don't feel its detrimental to the raid.
But you do you, lesser raider. We've done the heavy lifting, now you can be judged by how poorly you follow our instructions. I take back what I said in my last post, your attitude actually does bug me, Chyea. That amounts to absolutely nothing in the long run, but I'll at least be honest about it.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Potato Jones posted:

But you do you, lesser raider. We've done the heavy lifting, now you can be judged by how poorly you follow our instructions. I take back what I said in my last post, your attitude actually does bug me, Chyea. That amounts to absolutely nothing in the long run, but I'll at least be honest about it.

You're projecting really hard. Chill out weirdo.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Whizbang posted:

You're projecting really hard. Chill out weirdo.
My bad.

:thumbsup:

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
Final Fantasy XIV: As Goes Whine, So Goes Whine

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
This thread just needs to make it through the weekend and then it'll be smooth sailing for another couple months

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
Lock until patch tbh

vv i can only dream

kojei fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 7, 2015

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

and miss the insanity of posts during the 24-hour prepatch maintenance!?

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Suitaru posted:

and miss the inanity of posts during the 24-hour prepatch maintenance!?

Fixed.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
I'm not judging anyone, I'm giving a reason as to why a large swath of raid teams find this tier overly difficult.

And, actually, yea, all the hard work is done. Not by me but by the people who've written guides, posted videos, compiled class primers and itemization routes.

Chyea fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 7, 2015

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Chyea posted:

I'm not judging anyone, I'm giving a reason as to why a large swath of raid teams find this tier overly difficult.

Maybe the reason is because it's overly difficult?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

people are just mad they can't get drunk out of their minds and expect to kill raid content anymore, Chyea

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Belzac posted:

As a no life monster you have no valid opinion on the difficulty of raids and can't speak for the 99.9% of the people who aren't world first. You would have had the exact same amount of fun if the raid was easy enough for even the top 10% to beat by now and those extra 9% of people would not have burned out and quit the game.

It's called a difficulty curve, not a cliff and the only end game option for combat (you know, the major feature of the game) should not be the property of the top 1% to lord over the rest. Savage should have remained an off patch objective for idiots like us to peruse for bragging rights and cosmetic poo poo and not the progression route for the common player than didn't kill T13 till 2.58.

Basically shut the gently caress up Chyea.

This is some fine posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
You can just do a quick check of ffgoons own organization section for whole raid groups quitting, falling apart, and people posting that they're done with the game. They don't come here and write a slam on the game and drama out. They tell their friends they've been raiding with for 2 years they're not having fun anymore and then quietly exit. They might come back, but after you've invested that long with a specific group, there really isn't any coming back. They might check out 4.0 or sub back here and there but they'll never have the same commitment.

• Locked thread