Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
yes but does your crapple iPhail have built in boom sound by dr dre or s-touch

your move sheeps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Korean Boomhauer posted:

"my playstation is sony and i like video games i bet the phone is as good"
replace playstation with tv and sony with samsung and you have my friend's rational for continuing to buy galaxy s's despite constantly complaining about each one he gets

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

So what happens if the iPad Pro's A9x performs as well or better than Skylake? I would have said it was impossible but the A9 is really god drat fast

Nov 2015 Apple releases iPad Pro which benchmarks faster than top-spec MBPs.
Jan 2016 Tim does a 30-second Periscope announcing that iPad Pro will run full OS X and iOS simultaneously.
Jun 2016 All Apple hardware begins using A-series chips and they run with a perfect operational record.
2:14 AM EST Aug 29, A10x-powered Steve Jobs Android becomes sentient and ushers in the next golden age of computing.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

bobfather posted:

Steve Jobs Android

not if google's ip lawyers have anything to say about it

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

So what happens if the iPad Pro's A9x performs as well or better than Skylake? I would have said it was impossible but the A9 is really god drat fast

there was a report that apple is working with amd for a semi-custom x86 processor so that might be a thing they do before using an A-series chip. theres plenty of time for apple to lap intel if they do that

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

cremnob posted:

theres plenty of time for apple to lap intel if they do that

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

reminder from thje anandtech review

quote:

Wrapping things up, we’ll see the full impact of Twister and Apple’s shift to LPDDR4 in our full look at system performance. But in a nutshell A9 and Twister are a very potent update to Apple’s CPU performance, delivering significant performance increases from both architectural improvements and from clockspeed improvements. As a result the performance gains for A9 relative to A8 are very large, and although Twister isn’t Cyclone, Apple does at times come surprisingly close to the kind of leap ahead they made two years ago. A8 and Typhoon already set a high bar for the industry, but A9 and Twister will make chasing Apple all the harder.

At this point we also have to start looking at not only who is chasing Apple, but who Apple is chasing. With yet another round of architectural improvements and a clockspeed approaching 2GHz, comparing Apple’s CPU designs to Intel’s is less rhetorical than ever before. By the time we get to iPad Pro and can start comparing tablets to tablets, we may need to have a discussion about how Twister and Skylake compare.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

reminder from steve cheney's blog post

quote:

The truth is the best people in chip design no longer want to work at Intel or Qualcomm. They want to work at Apple. I have plenty of friends in the Valley who affirm this. Sure Apple products are cooler. But Apple has also surpassed Intel in performance. This is insane. A device company – which makes CPUs for internal use – surpassing Intel, the world’s largest chip maker which practically invented the CPU and has thousands of customers.

http://stevecheney.com/on-apples-incredible-platform-advantage/

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:

bobfather posted:

Nov 2015 Apple releases iPad Pro which benchmarks faster than top-spec MBPs.
Jan 2016 Tim does a 30-second Periscope announcing that iPad Pro will run full OS X and iOS simultaneously.
Jun 2016 All Apple hardware begins using A-series chips and they run with a perfect operational record.
2:14 AM EST Aug 29, A10x-powered Steve Jobs Android becomes sentient and ushers in the next golden age of computing.

Siri becoming sentient is my fetish

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

lol that owns. having laid absolute waste to palm, blackberry, nokia, samsung, et al. apple is now poised to cut intel off at the knees without even trying

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yesss

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
hey man my friends told me that apple is the new cool place to be, so obviously everyone in the world wants to work there right

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

this is the sloppiest Apple blowjob I have ever read and intel will crush them

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

imagine how butt blasted all the nerds are gonna be if the a9x benches higher than skylake. holy poo poo

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

zen death robot posted:

cremnob you're anticipating benchmarks and poo poo, hate to break it to you but you're an alpha-nerd

im shocked, just shocked at this revelation . nerd? here in this forum? no, couldn't be. an alpha nerd.. what a slam.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
2nd gen macbook one runs the A10X

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

intel is boned either way

http://wccftech.com/amd-making-custom-x86-soc-apple-imacs-2017-2018/

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
time 2 buy amd stock?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
unless of course they port bulldozer to a soc

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
leaked image of amd macbooks pro

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dislike button posted:

this is the sloppiest Apple blowjob I have ever read and nokia/blackberry will crush them

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

it owns large stylek everytime someone says lol apple are aborir to get owned by established companies and then 4 years later the established companies are shells or striaggt up dead

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Korean Boomhauer posted:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
:drat:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
gonna own watching none of the things predicted happen

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Korean Boomhauer posted:

goldmine

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i dont think it was even part of stebe's gameplan to destroy intel but it's gonna happen anyway. lmao

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

intel has 60% gross margins. thats a huge financial incentive to dump intel into the trash. apple probly gets a volume discount off these prices http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...Price_Lists.pdf

but its still probably like 200-300 per chip. the marginal cost of producing A series chips are nothing in comparison when they sold 285 million iOS units in 2015. how much is an A9? like $20? they could pocket the difference entirely or do a combo of increasing margins and dropping prices and gain even more share

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

maybe for the pee cee gamer enthusiast who drops 2k to play dota, but normal people dont care

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

BONGHITZ posted:

maybe for the pee cee gamer enthusiast who drops 2k to play dota, but normal people dont care

even for normal people they're pretty bad

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
i was looking at them today and it seems apple have purged dedicated graphics from all imac models except for the 5k

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Dodoman posted:

even for normal people they're pretty bad

Yeah I have no problem if you want to believe that apple will somehow eventually stay competitive with intel to some extent (on mobile only) since intel is so far behind on mobile compared to their desktop and server chips, but to pretend that amd is somehow key to this as more than a husk of a company with an x86 license is hilarious. amd is basically 1 or 2 bad quarters away from going concern warnings on their financials and hasnt made a competitive chip in a decade

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Metrication posted:

i was looking at them today and it seems apple have purged dedicated graphics from all imac models except for the 5k

the newer intel "gpus" are as good as the 750m they were using in the last generation of macbooks & desktop macs.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
dota has very low system requirements

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
ipadde pro in stores next friday

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Internaut! posted:

ipadde pro in stores next friday

praise be to timb

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Silver Alicorn posted:

dota has very low system requirements

especially from its players

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dislike button posted:

Yeah I have no problem if you want to believe that apple will somehow eventually stay competitive with intel to some extent (on mobile only) since intel is so far behind on mobile compared to their desktop and server chips, but to pretend that amd is somehow key to this as more than a husk of a company with an x86 license is hilarious. amd is basically 1 or 2 bad quarters away from going concern warnings on their financials and hasnt made a competitive chip in a decade

lol why wouldk Apple give a single poo poo about AMD when in five eyesrs they've gone from not making chips at all to releasing a mobile chip that will out perform low end laptop/desktop chips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Cocoa Crispies posted:

especially from its players

• Locked thread