Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Which is why I said I buy e-books?

Oh yeah -- I meant ebooks. The library's a nice money-saver in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Yeah but I also want to support literary fiction financially and have the book in my permanent possession.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Hardbacks are gross vanity items

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
If anyone knows:

I'm looking to buy Leah Remini's "Troublemaker" for my girlfriend. I'm aware today it came out, but I cannot find it anywhere in Montreal, QC. Nowhere to be found on amazon.ca either. Is there a different release date for canadian citizens?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its more price for me. I buy between 30-40 new books a year and the e-reader to hardcover difference is literally hundreds of dollars.

Do people actually buy ebooks? It's a fancy text file, that's not worth money.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

A human heart posted:

i pay for them when it's a new translation or something because i want to support more soviet lit translations

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ras Het posted:

I should take a picture of my library to see if it makes you physically sick...

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

A human heart posted:

And a paperback book is that same fancy text file printed with about a dollar's worth of paper and ink. What exactly the gently caress is your point?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Ras Het posted:

I feel the same way about sheets and refrigeration.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

these days like 90% of the books I read are NYRB paperbacks.

they are consistently very good books, and they also consistently short/thin books which is great since i am always on the road. and they are also consistently well designed

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Nov 4, 2015

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah but I also want to support literary fiction financially and have the book in my permanent possession.

Taking books out of the library does support literary fiction financially.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

And a paperback book is that same fancy text file printed with about a dollar's worth of paper and ink. What exactly the gently caress is your point?
One's a file and the other is a book.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

Taking books out of the library does support literary fiction financially.

It also supports your library, which is probably even more important.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

A human heart posted:

One's a file and the other is a book.

So a book's entire value is the physical object, and not, you know, the words the author put in it?

According to you, all those words together in a formatted downloadable file aren't worth any money at all. But print it on paper and it magically becomes something of value.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Holy poo poo guys, I like buying books ok. I have no idea why that is setting all of you off so hard.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Weird that boasting about pointless displays of wealth makes people dislike you.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

Weird that boasting about pointless displays of wealth makes people dislike you.

I said I like my e-reader because I can buy new books a lot cheaper. How is that boasting about wealth?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I would love to drop 60 quid for an electronic book, but unfortunately I donate every spare penny after living expenses to various charities. Guess it's just the cost of being a good person.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I have quite a lot of money and am well read. My hair is luscious.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Holy poo poo guys, I like buying books ok. I have no idea why that is setting all of you off so hard.

your a fucker

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

CestMoi posted:

I have quite a lot of money and am well read. My hair is luscious.

when you first appeared in TBB you were super annoying but now you're one of my favorite posters.

good job CestMoi

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

blue squares posted:

when you first appeared in TBB you were super annoying but now you're one of my favorite posters.

good job CestMoi

I think I still find your posts a bit annoying, but probably not more so than I find most other people's. Your heart is in the right place though, and I respect that.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

According to you, all those words together in a formatted downloadable file aren't worth any money at all. But print it on paper and it magically becomes something of value.

uh, yes? congratulations on wrapping your mind around magick 101 i guess

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
The most incredible thing about my Kindle Paperwhite is how utterly uninteresting the ads are. I've used it a lot now, and I've never seen an ad for a book I'm interested in. Considering that Amazon has access to pretty much my entire purchase history and already uses effective "you might be interested in"-algorithms on their store, this is pretty astonishing.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

Yes, that's correct.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

A human heart posted:

Yes, that's correct.

That's loving stupid.

E: like for real, following that argument the author puts in 0% of the value of the book.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Erland posted:

The most incredible thing about my Kindle Paperwhite is how utterly uninteresting the ads are. I've used it a lot now, and I've never seen an ad for a book I'm interested in. Considering that Amazon has access to pretty much my entire purchase history and already uses effective "you might be interested in"-algorithms on their store, this is pretty astonishing.

Years ago the Kindle ads were legit good

Like one time I got a coupon for 5 bux off an Amazon order through it, that sorta thing

They suck now though

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

That's loving stupid.

E: like for real, following that argument the author puts in 0% of the value of the book.

The monetary value of the book does not equal the value of the book.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Srice posted:

Years ago the Kindle ads were legit good

Like one time I got a coupon for 5 bux off an Amazon order through it, that sorta thing

They suck now though

Almost every single ad is for some romance-looking book

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Ras Het posted:

Valid point. However, saying that the content of the book Independent of physical form doesn't have monetary value still devalues the author in a non-monetary sense.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Valid point. However, saying that the content of the book Independent of physical form doesn't have monetary value still devalues the author in a non-monetary sense.

good. most authors could use a rigorous de-valueing.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

A human heart posted:

Yes, that's correct.

So what you're saying is that a hardcover book containing the text of a novel, and one containing random garbage like, say, your posts, have the same value, as the value of a book comes entirely from the physical object it's printed in and not from the actual words inside?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Why are you people responding to him like he wasn't absolutely loving with you

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
actually ebooks, due to their existence independent of physical substance as pure idea, are closer to the Platonic Form of the book and therefore innately superior to atom-bound material texts

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

End Of Worlds posted:

actually ebooks, due to their existence independent of physical substance as pure idea, are closer to the Platonic Form of the book and therefore innately superior to atom-bound material texts

You're probably being sarcastic, but this was legit my experience when I first bought a kindle. It removed all the distracting and non-reading aspects of a book, all the collecting and organizing and preserving dust covers and showing off and looking for fonts in the colophon.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

SMH at all these people who know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

lifg posted:

It removed all the distracting and non-reading aspects of a book, all the collecting and organizing and preserving dust covers and showing off and looking for fonts in the colophon.

thats why i live in a pristine glass cube and eat nutrient pills for every meal

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ras Het posted:

yeah doggy

ToxicFrog posted:

So what you're saying is that a hardcover book containing the text of a novel, and one containing random garbage like, say, your posts, have the same value, as the value of a book comes entirely from the physical object it's printed in and not from the actual words inside?

This is a silly hypothetical.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I will be staying warm thanks to my copious collection of books I have haphazardly laying around my floor during the postapoclyptic end days while you guys can enjoy choking on the fumes of burning plastic and electronics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
actually the giant torrent of how to be a crazy survivalist ebooks I downloaded means I'll be doing pretty okay in my compound. You weak literature snobs will be the first to go