Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidGolfCart
Mar 19, 2010

Excellent!

Zodack posted:

I didn't even notice until you quoted him that it's something inside a heavy armor cage, and not just a big square.

Is that what it is - a heavy armor cage to protect whatever you have inside?

Triskelli posted:

:magical: That's something else right there. I have to know the thought process behind this design.

After looking at the imgur gallery that's what it looks like it's supposed to do. My bad for not checking first.

I started out trying to design a ship that would easily survive ramming other ships. Then I had the idea to make a ship out of 2.5 meter thick layers of heavy armour with the ships decks sandwiched between. I opted to keep the layers idea, but make it hollow and include some lightly armoured interior sections. I also wanted to make it self regenerating, but I'm still trying to work that out.

Basically that whole front section up until the bridge window is a crumple zone. I need to tweak it a bit still, like in retrospect the side thrusters shouldn't be at the front.

Triskelli posted:

Again, according to the imgur gallery it's a ship with a rollcage built around it to protect it from collisions and while ramming. Unfortunately there's no crash-test footage; you know what needs to happen next. :killdozer:
Once I can reliably play Space Engineers and record videos at the same time, I'll probably make a video. :killdozer:

RabidGolfCart fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
For ramming, I hear blast door lances are quite effective. Should be possible to make a self-repairing one with a projector and some timers, welders, grinders and merge blocks.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

GotLag posted:

For ramming, I hear blast door lances are quite effective. Should be possible to make a self-repairing one with a projector and some timers, welders, grinders and merge blocks.

Yeah I came up with that but it needs a long lance to work well, hard to make it self-repairing.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

What happened with dampeners in the update? Or is my workship too heavy now? Seems like my shop just doesn't want to stop anymore.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
The thrust changes were an update or two ago, but I seem to have experienced a huge performance drop in this one, with no change after dropping the graphical and other settings to rock bottom..

Running around feels like running at the bottom of an ocean, let alone flying anything.

E: Seems to have abated to some degree, perhaps it's something I'm doing.

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Nov 6, 2015

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ass_Burgerer posted:

What happened with dampeners in the update? Or is my workship too heavy now? Seems like my shop just doesn't want to stop anymore.

Could you be a bit more specific? Does it only stop slowly, or does it not slow down at all?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Yeah, it's probably too heavymassive for your thrusters. Ship acceleration now takes in account the ship's mass and the dampener applies only the same amount of thrust as the manual acceleration.

But fret not! I made a thing to calculate the required number of thrusters for a ship with certain components. If this turns out to be useful for someone else I could make a nicer webpage for this.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
More specifically, what used to happen with Inertial Dampening was that thrusters were able to override their normal power limits by up to ten times in order to help stop a ship. This was changed so that Inertial Dampening now obeys normal thrust limits.

If you only have one forward-pointed thruster on your ship, it no longer puts out the thrust of 10 when attempting to stop the ship; chances are you're noticing the result of that change. :)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

To be a huge pedant, Inertial Dampener is an elaborate term for rainfall. Inertial Damper is the magic science fiction device which stops people being in star trek being fused with the back wall of the spaceship when they turn the warp drive on.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Alright, I think I am finally confident and can say that my Heavy Cargo Runner (I don't want to come up with some fancy name like Leothos Space Industrys RX-001 Big Bad Wolf) is done! Here are some screenshots of the exterior and interior.

Now to try and recreate it as a large ship. Not sure if I'm looking forward to that or not.

I want to publish it on the workshop but people seem to be allergic to mods there, which is really weird considering how easy it is to install and maintain mods in this game?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

That looks great.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Zodack posted:

Alright, I think I am finally confident and can say that my Heavy Cargo Runner (I don't want to come up with some fancy name like Leothos Space Industrys RX-001 Big Bad Wolf) is done! Here are some screenshots of the exterior and interior.

Now to try and recreate it as a large ship. Not sure if I'm looking forward to that or not.

I want to publish it on the workshop but people seem to be allergic to mods there, which is really weird considering how easy it is to install and maintain mods in this game?

:perfect:

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

HardDisk posted:

That looks great.

Thanks guys.

In the far reaches of space, the "fun" continues

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zodack posted:

Just upload it as a World, then you don't have to worry about listing mods. I suspect the reason some of them avoiding it are hoping to be the spotlight of the next patch video or something.

I've also been working on a new starfighter, just for something with more of an aerodynamic look.

The wings could be better, but I'm kinda stuck with a fixed wingspan size for various reasons so it'll do for the moment.

edit: Also hotfix notes;

quote:

EDIT 11/06/2015:
Update 01.107.008

- fixed refineries not working
- fixed crash when joining DS, while pasting
- fixed crash in hydrogen system
- fixed crash in oxygen system
- fixed crash with landing gears
- fixed backpacks not respawning

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just upload it as a World, then you don't have to worry about listing mods. I suspect the reason some of them avoiding it are hoping to be the spotlight of the next patch video or something.

I'll have to clean the mods the ship doesn't use from the World manually, I guess. I just load everything all at once when I build, I guess going in reverse and removing what I didn't use won't be too tedious.

Also, progress report on the giant version. The fact that the small version can park on the back is kind of hilarious to me.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

So I've been fiddling with the earthbreaker drill mod for a while in survival. Started with the small wiener ship version and it was a bit underwelming. It was bigger but not by much. Then I finally managed to make one large ship one. The size and amount of ore it sucks up is downright silly. I think I dug up ~1 million iron ore in 1 minute.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Zodack posted:

I keep block mods to a minimum (usually zero) in my designs, for accessibility and because, well, I don't trust a lot of mod-makers. There was that one guy who had a major hissy fit about the (entirely standard) workshop EULA and pulled his (quite popular) mods without any warning in some kind of John Galt gesture. In doing this he broke a lot of servers.
A friend of mine had some totally sweet custom reactors in his ship until the creator changed the model to Generic Sci-Fi #324 without any explanation.

In addition, a lot of modders are retarded. For example, one of the magnetic lock mods has absurd component requirements, such that even the small ship versions mass 1,800 kg per block.

The only mods I've used in ships I've released on workshop are Landing Gear Small and Large Ship Railguns. Those small gear make excellent dock clamps for drones. They fit the vanilla aesthetic far better than the outdated vanilla models, and can be attached via the side of their mounting block.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 7, 2015

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

GotLag posted:

In addition, a lot of modders are retarded. For example, one of the magnetic lock mods has absurd component requirements, such that even the small ship versions mass 1,800 kg per block.

The only mods I've used in ships I've released on workshop are Landing Gear Small and Large Ship Railguns. Those small gear make excellent dock clamps for drones. They fit the vanilla aesthetic far better than the outdated vanilla models, and can be attached via the side of their mounting block.

I don't use block mods, I just use engine mods, landing gear, interior stuff. Door and hatches, alternate air vents. No alternate blocks. I mean, hell, SE already has more than enough options to build something, I don't need an even slimmer triangle piece.

Although yeah the bottom of that one contains the most popular maglock mod, the hexagonal ones. Hope that's not the one you're talking about.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Zodack posted:

I don't use block mods, I just use engine mods, landing gear, interior stuff. Door and hatches, alternate air vents. No alternate blocks. I mean, hell, SE already has more than enough options to build something, I don't need an even slimmer triangle piece.
By "block" I mean any buildable block, not just armour blocks.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

GotLag posted:

By "block" I mean any buildable block, not just armour blocks.

Oh, yeah, that makes sense. I guess I hadn't really though of anything else as a "mod" but that's not exactly true, is it? There are plenty of mods not related to ships.

I'll probably try to tear it down and make a vanilla version of the large ship (obviously a vanilla version of the small ship is not going to work for several reasons) just to see how it looks. My biggest gripe about vanilla is the complete lack of options with thrusters. You'd think Keen would pick up that slanted thruster mod or whatever that has been around for forever, the one where he just stuck the vanilla thrusters into armor blocks.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I have some minor non-block mods I always use, mostly mine:
Non-Controlling, First-Person Control Station
Reworked Conveyor Construction Costs (note that this makes conveyors significantly lighter, which can be significant on large, well-plumbed ships)
Lighter Camera Overlay
Automated Inventory Sorting (not mine, this is the fixed version)

GotLag fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 7, 2015

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

GotLag posted:

I have some minor non-block mods I always use, mostly mine:
Non-Controlling, First-Person Control Station
Reworked Conveyor Construction Costs (note that this makes conveyors significantly lighter, which can be significant on large, well-plumbed ships)
Lighter Camera Overlay
Automated Inventory Sorting (not mine, this is the fixed version)

These are some really good mods. Just subbed the reworked conveyors one after really looking at the prices of them. Jesus Christ the small ship tubes go UP in price :psyduck:.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
The SS13 conversion is not dead, but i am waiting for planets to drop. Things like autopilot points and voice comms are greatly simplifying things and i am greedy for more.

I will need all your powers when the time is right.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ass_Burgerer posted:

These are some really good mods. Just subbed the reworked conveyors one after really looking at the prices of them. Jesus Christ the small ship tubes go UP in price :psyduck:.

Thanks! Balance suggestions/feedback always welcome.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zodack posted:

I'll have to clean the mods the ship doesn't use from the World manually, I guess. I just load everything all at once when I build, I guess going in reverse and removing what I didn't use won't be too tedious.

Also, progress report on the giant version. The fact that the small version can park on the back is kind of hilarious to me.

Well obviously you need to add a belly connector to the small version so you can use it as a shuttlecraft for the big one :colbert:.

Worked a bit on dorsal and wing equipment for my new starfighter. The drone's a disposable remote probe with a laser antenna on the back, and the ring on the fighter's meant to look like an ECM antenna dish. It's designed for carrying calls from the mothership to a flight or squadron of them. I've also been using the ISM weapon mods to make Hellfire Missile Pods and a Dual Grendle Gatling pod. Also working on dumbfire decoys that release from the wing, turn on, and shoot off in random directions (ie; fixed-thrust forward thrust and an off-kilter gyro).

Also a shot from behind. Can't decide if I should extend the Hydrogen Thruster back a bit to be more flush with the Industrial Thrusters or leave it like that though.

RabidGolfCart
Mar 19, 2010

Excellent!
Working on version 2:

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well obviously you need to add a belly connector to the small version so you can use it as a shuttlecraft for the big one :colbert:.

The joke is on you - the small version already features TWO belly connectors!

And speaking of connecting ships to ships or drones to ships... what's the safest way? I remember the last time I played it really messes with the CoM and at high speeds the smaller vessel would get flung off of the larger one. LastStandGamers has featured some large craft lately and the go-to seems to be a connector as well as several auto-locking landing gear... or maybe a merge block? But merge blocks were notoriously weird the last time I tried merging things with them. Also, he mentions connecting blocks with large welders, which is strange to me.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Zodack posted:

And speaking of connecting ships to ships or drones to ships... what's the safest way? I remember the last time I played it really messes with the CoM and at high speeds the smaller vessel would get flung off of the larger one. LastStandGamers has featured some large craft lately and the go-to seems to be a connector as well as several auto-locking landing gear... or maybe a merge block? But merge blocks were notoriously weird the last time I tried merging things with them. Also, he mentions connecting blocks with large welders, which is strange to me.

Two ships of the same size class, definitely merge blocks. Merge blocks fuse the two ships into a single physics component so there's no center-of-mass weirdness or the like (although you may want to disable some thrusters to keep the docked ship from melting anything important). Small ships to big ships, the connector paired with autolocking gear seems your best bet - connectors seem to have a more solid lock on them than landing gear, though the connection is slightly 'flexible'. Use both and you get the best of both worlds. The center of mass can be an issue but if your main ship is massive enough compared to the drones, there's not really much of an effect.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zodack posted:

Just use landing gear/maglocks on your small ship and a belly connector. Align belly connector, hit P, the ship Locks itself in place and you're set. Might want to turn off the ship after that though, or at least hit Z though.

edit: Uploaded my finished Hawk Starfighter. Taking all bets on how long until I get a Workshop comment about "WHERE ARE THE MODULES? :qq:"

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 8, 2015

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just use landing gear/maglocks on your small ship and a belly connector. Align belly connector, hit P, the ship Locks itself in place and you're set. Might want to turn off the ship after that though, or at least hit Z though.

edit: Uploaded my finished Hawk Starfighter. Taking all bets on how long until I get a Workshop comment about "WHERE ARE THE MODULES? :qq:"

Thanks for the advice. I've got two hangars on this guy with maglock + belly connector spots. They're kind of weird and not positioned well for big small ships, but w/e.

Speaking of which, the exterior is done and I am going about the arduous process of filling up the interior. I forgot how difficult it was to come up with 50 cool rooms for a large ship, and I especially didn't expect this one to feel so large.

Also that's the small ship and not a projection hiding near the stern

e: holy poo poo is that a modular dogfighter? That's radical, I saw the first image and all the modules and I gotta say that is just amazing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zodack posted:

Thanks for the advice. I've got two hangars on this guy with maglock + belly connector spots. They're kind of weird and not positioned well for big small ships, but w/e.

Speaking of which, the exterior is done and I am going about the arduous process of filling up the interior. I forgot how difficult it was to come up with 50 cool rooms for a large ship, and I especially didn't expect this one to feel so large.

Also that's the small ship and not a projection hiding near the stern

e: holy poo poo is that a modular dogfighter? That's radical, I saw the first image and all the modules and I gotta say that is just amazing.

If you're stuck coming up with ideas for the extra room, why not make an internal hangar for the small version?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're stuck coming up with ideas for the extra room, why not make an internal hangar for the small version?

I wonder if it'll fit in the back...

:v:

Well, almost. I would need 1x4 hangar doors, probably.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Oh gently caress me running what are those beautiful monitor screens :flashfap:

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Mister Adequate posted:

Oh gently caress me running what are those beautiful monitor screens :flashfap:

Hinges at around 65° with text panels attached. Using the automatic configurable LCD panel script mod.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Why not just use the Slope LCD Panels?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
The jumpship is uploaded! If any of you guys want to take a look at it and tell me the critical flaw that will cause it to self destruct, please do. I'm currently editing the description so I don't accidentally out myself as someone who literally has no idea what he's doing.

LSI Heavy Jumpship

I didn't realize that existed - it's definitely better for what I use them for.

I was thinking I'd wire them up to move away from the pilot seat when it was not in use but I couldn't be assed to bother with that because no one cares.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Needless do dads and widgets are 50% of engineering!

Animate those suckers or turn in your helmet.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
You can do it from the command terminal but figuring out how to make it happen only when you enter/leave the seat is not something I wanted to spend time on, especially after coming off of finishing the ship.

I may get back around to it if I have the time, I do like engineering stuff like that. I just wish they'd fix rotors and pistons.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I recently started experimenting with torpedoes for my small ships. Nothing fancy, just a dumb bomb/torpedo. I want to know though, sometimes the bomb will just bounce off of the test target I setup without actually exploding or anything, and it seems completely random and the torpedo doesn't even dent when it does. Is this an artfact of lag or is there something that would be actually causing that? For that matter, should I use heavy blocks outside of the tip to give it more mass to break off the protective cap on impact, or is it just something that happens once in a while?

Edit: while I'm here, I'm planning on trying a sort of tandem-charge payload. Anybody tried those out and if so, figured out how many blocks of space are needed between the front and rear payload?

Rorac fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Nov 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rorac posted:

I recently started experimenting with torpedoes for my small ships. Nothing fancy, just a dumb bomb/torpedo. I want to know though, sometimes the bomb will just bounce off of the test target I setup without actually exploding or anything, and it seems completely random and the torpedo doesn't even dent when it does. Is this an artifact of lag or is there something that would be actually causing that? For that matter, should I use heavy blocks outside of the tip to give it more mass to break off the protective cap on impact, or is it just something that happens once in a while?

Edit: while I'm here, I'm planning on trying a sort of tandem-charge payload. Anybody tried those out and if so, figured out how many blocks of space are needed between the front and rear payload?

Ah, ordinance talk! :orks101:

Okay, first off Tandem-charge payloads aren't going to work. The initial impact's going to kill moment outright, so the second payload will never go off as it slowly drifts around the debris of the first. Reinforced Armor tips are also right out, because they'll act to contain the blast away from the impact point. As for duds, the angle of impact can play a part. You need a direct head-on hit to actually get the full kinetic impact, anything else and it can potentially just glance off instead. And sometimes all that can be said is "Space Engineers" when odd stuff happens :v:.

If you want something a little more sure-fire, go for a kinetic rod instead (ie; a solid lump of Reinforced Armor). Accelerate your fighter to full speed, fly at enemy, release and break off. The starfighter I just added to the workshop has an example of these if you want to see them at work.

• Locked thread