Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I've been waiting for Minas Tirith to drop to reinstall...I guess I'll do it tonight. Is the realm transfer stuff still going on? I need to transfer my folks from Brandywine to Landroval I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Glass of Milk posted:

I've been waiting for Minas Tirith to drop to reinstall...I guess I'll do it tonight. Is the realm transfer stuff still going on? I need to transfer my folks from Brandywine to Landroval I guess.

Free transfers will be open for a while, yes.

If you're wanting to play with goons, you should hold off until we see where we end up.

I'm stoked about Minas Tirith, but I'm going to wait until we transfer before playing. Plus, GW2 right now :).

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I would like to join the Nazgun but you level 100 poopsockers keep weird hours. Managed to find Grimhesric but he swears he doesn't have the authority to invite people.

Any officers gonna be on tonight around 6-8 PDT?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Litany Unheard posted:

I would like to join the Nazgun but you level 100 poopsockers keep weird hours. Managed to find Grimhesric but he swears he doesn't have the authority to invite people.

Any officers gonna be on tonight around 6-8 PDT?

How early can you be on tonight? I stick around to a bit after 2 am GMT +1 so that's... in about 2 hours, but I'd rather go to bed earlier.

Also what's your name?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

How early can you be on tonight? I stick around to a bit after 2 am GMT +1 so that's... in about 2 hours, but I'd rather go to bed earlier.

Also what's your name?

I'm logged in and idle right now. Doing some other stuff, but I'll be around my computer.

Character is named Edheladan.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Logging in now then.

edit: gently caress forgot there was an update. This may be a bit.

update: yeah sorry this isn't going to happen tonight.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 28, 2015

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Logging in now then.

edit: gently caress forgot there was an update. This may be a bit.

update: yeah sorry this isn't going to happen tonight.

You've broken my heart :smith:

Seriously though, thanks for trying. If any other officers are on in the future, my main is named Edheladan. Shoot me an invite so that I may be bad at this game with fellow goons. TIA~

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I'll save you, buddy. I'm just downloading the update but when it's done I'll log in and if you're still around I'll invite you.

Dick Trauma posted:

It's nice to see that the seasonal event can actually be enjoyed by low levels. I'm used to other games where most of the content requires high or even max level characters.
I think all of the temporary content is doable at beginner levels, and I agree that it's very nice and a welcoming thing to new players. IIRC, the festival quests generally grant a "level-appropriate" amount of XP no matter what level you are, too.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

bombhand posted:

I'll save you, buddy. I'm just downloading the update but when it's done I'll log in and if you're still around I'll invite you.

:wotwot:

If anyone is a weirdo like me and has to do EVERY QUEST, my main is currently level 33 and dicking around in the Lone Lands. I play sporadically evenings and weekends. Help me kill things. I'm only a little bad at this game, promise.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009
New craft tier, aye? any point or is everything worse than BB?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

bombhand posted:

I think all of the temporary content is doable at beginner levels, and I agree that it's very nice and a welcoming thing to new players. IIRC, the festival quests generally grant a "level-appropriate" amount of XP no matter what level you are, too.

Yeah I remember when I cared about festivals and would amass a lot of tokens I'd end up leveling A LOT.

Litany Unheard posted:

:wotwot:

If anyone is a weirdo like me and has to do EVERY QUEST, my main is currently level 33 and dicking around in the Lone Lands. I play sporadically evenings and weekends. Help me kill things. I'm only a little bad at this game, promise.

Oh I'm like that! I either have a guardian at 13 I could raise to take through there OR a RK at 26 that's much closer. Or a warden (who I have NO idea how to play) at 29, he was a farmer. But then I remembered I hate farming.

Anyway if I ever get close we can maybe meet up. I don't have enough TP to buy the new region yet so that was what Alts were made for.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I don't mind lending a hand with lower-level content. If I have a few minutes I"m almost always up to carry you through a fellowship quest or instance that you're struggling with. I have a couple lower-level toons but doing content on-level takes more time and I'm not very good at playing my lower-level classes, so I'm not always able to do it that way.

My main toons are Dragonwort and Kumathinh, so if you see me on feel free to ask (although I probably won't be around much until transfers happen). I am not afraid to say no so you never have to feel like you're imposing or inconveniencing me.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Man, they've got to be joking with those faction armor pieces in Minas Tirith. 3 essence slots and they look like crap.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Litany Unheard posted:

I'm logged in and idle right now. Doing some other stuff, but I'll be around my computer.

Character is named Edheladan.

Did you ever join? I finally got this stupid thing running. I'll add you to my friends list worst comes to worst.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Since I started a dwarf I thought it was appropriate to run quests for the Ale Association. It was fun dashing through the Shire at night on my freebie 24 hour rental horse, only stopping to hop off, bash a keg in and hop back on. I'd ride off while the NPCs were bitching about their beer spilling everywhere. I hope the title I can earn is "Right Bastard."

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Did you ever join? I finally got this stupid thing running. I'll add you to my friends list worst comes to worst.

Yeah, Dragonwort came to the rescue.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Glass of Milk posted:

Man, they've got to be joking with those faction armor pieces in Minas Tirith. 3 essence slots and they look like crap.

One of the first things I did when I got to Minas Tirith was look at the new armor pieces. Agreed that they look like crap. I guess it's a good thing that I don't really care if I ever obtain any of it since I don't have time for most group content.

Dick Trauma posted:

Since I started a dwarf I thought it was appropriate to run quests for the Ale Association. It was fun dashing through the Shire at night on my freebie 24 hour rental horse, only stopping to hop off, bash a keg in and hop back on. I'd ride off while the NPCs were bitching about their beer spilling everywhere. I hope the title I can earn is "Right Bastard."

Some of the best fun in the game can be had just messing around with side quests like these. A plus with the Ale Association is you get a pretty awesome looking mount at Kindred rep. http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Prized_Ale_Association_Goat

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Glass of Milk posted:

Aside from small stat bonuses and saving gold on essence it's probably a set for casuals and alts, if you wanna go hard just think of Update 17 as a new place with a new story and new battles to continue to grind out Faramir's set, but now at a faster speed and more fun, players returning, etc.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
Well, the game is video stuttering and randomly crashing every 20 minutes or so since the Minas Tirith update.

That suck, I guess that mean I'm putting this game on hold for a while.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I've been having some serious problems with load times since an update that dropped in the last couple months or so. Normally it's just an inconvenience, but in some of the big battles it means I can't use the travel ropes without being MIA for thirty seconds to a minute, or even crashing entirely. And thirty seconds is more than enough time to sink a sidequest.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Updating my video drivers and lowering the video settings helped a with the time span between crash but they still happen :(

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Not sure if it will help you, but I kept crashing constantly for months and it was because I had eax audio enabled. Since disabling it I haven't had any issues.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
That reminds me - at one point I had my in-game volume slider all the way down, and the game crashed constantly. I found if I even put it to just one tiny notch up, it was stable.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Alright I'll try these out :)

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
So no crash since a while now. Still have to set textures to medium but no crashes.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
They did one patch to reduce crashes, expect another but it might be slow because they're gearing up to transfer to the new hardware soon.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showth...-and-win-prizes

If anyone feels like it, 100 turbine points for logging in and then some sort of lottery for 1,000, 10,000, or a lifetime account.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Pity I'll be working. Yet, I finally have enough TP for the new region. I'm kinda into playing my alts and getting TP though. Is it worth waiting for a sale or after the server to be able to do the quests with people or should I just jump into it?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Pity I'll be working. Yet, I finally have enough TP for the new region. I'm kinda into playing my alts and getting TP though. Is it worth waiting for a sale or after the server to be able to do the quests with people or should I just jump into it?

Forgive me because I'm bad at remembering which poster is which player, but are you 100 and all done with the Eastern Gondor up til Minas Tirith? If so I'd definitely jump on it while it's new, I doubt it'll be on any sale at all for a couple months and even then only a minor ones. New stuff doesn't get in on the half off or 25% off stuff for a year or so if I recall.

I'm really enjoying update 17, I thought it would be for the epic battles but honestly they are fun but repetitive already. It's the epic quest and the general quests in Minas Tirith that are really making it fun to play again. It's a good time to be a jewelcrafter or a tailor about now, and as always unless you PVP you really only need the new gear if you like having shiny rear end cool looking new gear. I can already solo the new battles and hit gold rating without the new cloak or jewelry, so Ruined City and Dome of The Stars are still the only real tough content.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm Foxjo normally. But yeah. I guess I'll pick it up once slayer deeds lose their charm. It's always nice to make progress.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

They're sure making people on the last few closing servers wait a while to transfer. The last update was 2 1/2 weeks ago when they said the migration to the new server hardware should be done in less than a month, then they'd have every server enabled for transfers before the end of the year. Kinda sounds like we should be able to go to Landroval because the new hardware will be able to handle a lot higher populations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
In the meantime you can go hit a chicken with a stick.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

So epic battles are a lot of fun. I can't accomplish much in them with my level 40 character, but I like shooting the catapult and repairing stuff :shobon:

I have yet to hit a chicken with a stick, but it's on my to-do list.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I think I just slightly burnt out. I had a good stretch that took me through East Gondor, Wildermore (on an alt), and bringing a guardian up to level 17. I did some deeding and have enough TP to get Anorien. And I don't feel like moving on. I was actually really enjoying the guardian until I realized all the VIP perks I had on the others weren't applying to her and now it's soured my experience a bit. The fast travel I can do without, but I didn't think you had to unlock the individual traits in the trees using TP. I'm really not sure how much more I'm going to advance on that one.

Wildermore is a really good region though. I'm sure to come back probably in a couple of weeks, but a bit of a break will be refreshing I feel.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Litany Unheard posted:

So epic battles are a lot of fun. I can't accomplish much in them with my level 40 character, but I like shooting the catapult and repairing stuff :shobon:

I have yet to hit a chicken with a stick, but it's on my to-do list.
It's less the level of your character and more your lack of promotion points. It's true that a scaled player is less effective than an actual 100, but the biggest difference is in the promo points. If we're online at the same time (Dragonwort/Kumathinh) I'll be happy to run you through one or more of the battles to get your promotion points up, depending on how much time I have. If I've got the house to myself I'll also bore the crap out of you with a concurrent lecture on big battles, but whether that's a positive or a negative is up for debate.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I think I just slightly burnt out. I had a good stretch that took me through East Gondor, Wildermore (on an alt), and bringing a guardian up to level 17. I did some deeding and have enough TP to get Anorien. And I don't feel like moving on. I was actually really enjoying the guardian until I realized all the VIP perks I had on the others weren't applying to her and now it's soured my experience a bit. The fast travel I can do without, but I didn't think you had to unlock the individual traits in the trees using TP. I'm really not sure how much more I'm going to advance on that one.
I had exactly that experience when I rolled my guard. Eventually I did re-sub for a month, and rolled a couple additional toons for the classes I felt most interested in trying later, and tried to unlock as much as I could guild-craft-wise as well. It's hard to adapt to losing the permanent perks you're used to when you start a toon that doesn't have them. Riding doesn't cost that much, but the skill set bonuses and guild-craft levels cost a lot!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

What did you have to unlock in the craft stuff. I'm about to de sub and want to make sure I don't gently caress myself down the road.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

If you join a crafting guild, you need to spend turbine points to unlock the reputation tiers to get access to higher-level guild crafting. There's plenty of stuff to craft without being guilded, but among other things, legendary items are guild-locked.

Also, the server test appears to be going well. 2300 logged in without alarming problems. My load problem also doesn't seem to be happening on bullroarer.

e: from earlier:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

huh. how many points? is it the sort of thing that is just a minor annoyance, or is it a big point sink?

edit: I'm either at master of the guild level or working my way to master right now in my guild rank. I'm actually ranking my guild stuff faster than my reglar weapon smithing at this point.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
If you're VIP the tiers unlock automatically as long as you advance during VIP, so you could try to max out guild rep during that time if you do the usual "buy a month of VIP to unlock various benefits" thing. Once VIP ends you'd have to unlock the new tiers IIRC.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Also, if you're only buying one month, you can get your guild set up and have your guild rep items crafted and in your vault before you subscribe, so that you can pop them all at once. You can craft all levels of the guild rep items right from the start, so doing it that way means you don't have to scramble to make sure you're crafting as it cools down in order to get your levels before your VIP expires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

bombhand posted:

Also, the server test appears to be going well. 2300 logged in without alarming problems. My load problem also doesn't seem to be happening on bullroarer.

You must wait before logging in to this world...
Position 821

[Failed to queue for server]

:(

Edit: Their login server crashed. Restarted as advised, got right in.

Edit2: LMAO they let loose a balrog in Minas Tirith

alucinor fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 7, 2015