Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

This is loving paper. This is some serious loving paper. Now this is paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I think the only thing I'm surprised by is that they didn't move on from gamebryo. I remember when Oblivion and then Skyrim came out and everyone was basically convinced that Bethesda had a new engine in the works for the new generation. Even at launch nearly ten years ago, Oblivion and gamebryo painfully creaked along. Madness.

It's actually very rare for companies to switch engines because any engine is a huge investment. Until EA mandated a change, Bioware's 3d engines were all using Aurora from NWN 1 as a core, CoD's engine still has Quake roots, etc. Developers usually just create their first, initial engine and make improvements over time.

Besides most of Gamebryo's shittiness is Bethesda's own incompetence. Gamebryo has powered some really impressive titles (Civ IV, Divinity 2) Bethesda are just so lovely at animation and bugfixing they make their own engine look worse than it is.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i have a thing for redheads and junkies so i know which companion i'm using for the entire game

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mokinokaro posted:

Bethesda are just so lovely at animation and bugfixing they make their own engine look worse than it is.

This is the weirdest part for me. SURELY they can see it. They must know that their animations are subpar, and yet it's taken them ten years on this engine to get them to the point that they're just about acceptable, but still noticeably shoddy. It's bizarre. They have a fuckton of money, and could hire the best animators or whatever in the world.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

here we go with the withcer 3 again

am i the only one who evaluates games based on their strengths instead of their flaws?? like sure the animations, writing, graphics, faces and story are all pretty bad, but fallout 4 has a double barreled shotgun and it has a nice reload animation. you can make the barrel short or long. what else could you possiblt want in a video game?

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mokinokaro posted:

It's actually very rare for companies to switch engines because any engine is a huge investment. Until EA mandated a change, Bioware's 3d engines were all using Aurora from NWN 1 as a core, CoD's engine still has Quake roots, etc. Developers usually just create their first, initial engine and make improvements over time.

Besides most of Gamebryo's shittiness is Bethesda's own incompetence. Gamebryo has powered some really impressive titles (Civ IV, Divinity 2) Bethesda are just so lovely at animation and bugfixing they make their own engine look worse than it is.

Yeah i tend to agree that the animations could do a lot of work, but somebody in this thread mentioned that theres not many game engines out there that can hold together so much content like the Bethesda games, so I can understand that they kept it. However thats no excuse for the many recurring bugs or the lackluster cosmetics of the thing.

Soral posted:

you're a drat retard, so i'm sure goty contender Retard 4 will be a good fit for your game collection. ganbare

Woa, put your katana replica back in its plastic sheath mr goon-san.

This derail is stupid lets just agree to disagree shall we?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Most of us complaining are still going to buy and enjoy the game. We just know Bethesda could do better.

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money

Minorkos posted:

am i the only one who evaluates games based on their strengths instead of their flaws?? like sure the animations, writing, graphics, faces and story are all pretty bad, but fallout 4 has a double barreled shotgun and it has a nice reload animation. you can make the barrel short or long. what else could you possiblt want in a video game?

Epic memes. That's why I love the Borderlands franchise.

Soral
May 30, 2009

GyverMac posted:

Yeah i tend to agree that the animations could do a lot of work, but somebody in this thread mentioned that theres not many game engines out there that can hold together so much content like the Bethesda games, so I can understand that they kept it. However thats no excuse for the many recurring bugs or the lackluster cosmetics of the thing.

Woa, put your katana replica back in its plastic sheath mr goon-san.

don't post in my direction in the future you insane psychopath

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I think the only thing I'm surprised by is that they didn't move on from gamebryo. I remember when Oblivion and then Skyrim came out and everyone was basically convinced that Bethesda had a new engine in the works for the new generation. Even at launch nearly ten years ago, Oblivion and gamebryo painfully creaked along. Madness.
What you really mean is Bethesda's internal game logic engine hacked up and shoddily made since Morrowind which they wisely refused to name.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mokinokaro posted:

Most of us complaining are still going to buy and enjoy the game. We just know Bethesda could do better.

No, Bethesda can't. Doesn't stop me from enjoying their products.

Obsidian using Bethesda's tech can though. :v:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Minorkos posted:

I could want to make that double barrel into a quad barrel and give it a pistol grip and make it fire all four shots at once. :hellyeah:

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
Fallout doesn't even have horses I don't even get why we would bring up the witcher on the same website forum

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

How old is Gamebryo anyway?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Lotish posted:

I could want to make that double barrel into a quad barrel and give it a pistol grip and make it fire all four shots at once. :hellyeah:

Bonus points is if because it used a pistol grip instead of a rifle one you broke your wrist every time you shot all four at once, meaning each shot costs 4 shells and a stimpack to heal your crippled limb.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

A pretty sparse review, but I figured something like what was being described in its Bad section was going to happen. Especially after we got New Vegas much more awesome world.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Alkydere posted:

Bonus points is if because it used a pistol grip instead of a rifle one you broke your wrist every time you shot all four at once, meaning each shot costs 4 shells and a stimpack to heal your crippled limb.

adamantium skeleton :smuggo:

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Mokinokaro posted:

At the very end of the vault segment (similar to the end of all the "tutorial" bits of most Bethesda games) there's a menu that lets you completely reroll your character's name, appearance and set perks/stats.

Thanks, kind of a bummer you can't get a head start on your character's focus, but at least there's a baseline competence for most tasks in the game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

KomradeX posted:

The absolute oldest version of it was made in 1997, but the newest version is 4.0 which was made in 2012. With Skyrim and Fallout 4, Bethesda use their own branch of Gamebryo called the Creation Engine, which is basically a heavily modified Gamebryo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mokinokaro posted:

I think that's up for legitimate debate by now. Bethesda have committed so hard to mediocrity that one assumes it must be their goal. Fallout 3 being orders of magnitude better than Oblivion (or even Skyrim, for that matter) might have been a fluke.

Or maybe Fallout 4 will be amazing. I'm reasonably confident it will be pretty good at least

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

KomradeX posted:

It's from the 20th century. 1997.

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money

evilmiera posted:

A pretty sparse review, but I figured something like what was being described in its Bad section was going to happen. Especially after we got New Vegas much more awesome world.

On one hand, this review can probably be safely written off because the reviewer actually seems to like Dragon Age: Inquisition, which is a really lovely game.

On the other hand, we should take note of the fact that even someone with standards so low that he can seem to like DA:I was bored by this game.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I made my first entire new vegas run with no roaches. I don't know how, but I hope my first run in this game can be the same.

Not an insect fan, but as long as I have an alien blaster its all good.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Sounds like they keep interrupting the main story to force you to do Minecraft poo poo with your settlement.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Buff Butler posted:

On one hand, this review can probably be safely written off because the reviewer actually seems to like Dragon Age: Inquisition, which is a really lovely game.

On the other hand, we should take note of the fact that even someone with standards so low that he can seem to like DA:I was bored by this game.

negative taste is a thing that exists

Alkydere posted:

the stock is what makes the actual difference, you can have a stock with a pistol grip, which helps with recoil as long as you're butting it towards your shoulder. even with a rifle grip if you somehow get one without a stock you will still have a really bad time with recoil

the only actual difference re: grips is that pistol grip makes it faster for some people to aim while it's easier to fire quickly/fire from the hip with a rifle grip.

...:goonsay:

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 7, 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

SunAndSpring posted:

Sounds like they keep interrupting the main story to force you to do Minecraft poo poo with your settlement.

Not really. From what I saw on stream there's a small tutorial bit introduced early that's mandatory to progress the main story past a certain point, but you can also leave it alone until that you reach the point in the story it becomes mandatory (which is what Tommy did.)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

evilmiera posted:

A pretty sparse review, but I figured something like what was being described in it's Bad section was going to happen. Especially after we got New Vegas much more awesome world.

this. I dont think fallout 4 will be a bad game at all. But NV pretty much blew 3 out of the water. So people are going to expect the same here with NV.

On the spoilers leaked , I don't really mind them. people on neogaf are pissed about the brotherhood and the super mutants. but i view it like this. Brotherhood is probaly a expodicary force from Lyon's brotherhood in DC and the super mutants are the same kind of dumb asses that were on the east coast. I view it like this. bethesda handles the east coast of the fallout universe and obsidian handles the west and the keep relatively free from each other because i doubt communication gets very far across the continent in post-apocalypses.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Bardeh posted:

This is the weirdest part for me. SURELY they can see it. They must know that their animations are subpar, and yet it's taken them ten years on this engine to get them to the point that they're just about acceptable, but still noticeably shoddy. It's bizarre. They have a fuckton of money, and could hire the best animators or whatever in the world.

Up to 4 I could say the same for the actual gameplay, apparently this time around they hired the guy who did Destiny's combat (which in my personal opinion is the best FPS gameplay on consoles bar none, say what you like about the rest of the game's content) and it does show through on the gameplay footage.

edit: whatever gameplay footage you can find that is, the game is in the public's hands now and Bethesda is being unreasonable to the point of being Nazis about allowing gameplay footage.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 7, 2015

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
So are we expecting a better game of like fallout: Hollywood in like 3 years?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Up to 4 I could say the same for the actual gameplay, apparently this time around they hired the guy who did Destiny's combat (which in my personal opinion is the best FPS gameplay on consoles bar none, say what you like about the rest of the game's content) and it does show through on the gameplay footage.

Yeah you definitely can tell the shooting's improved. VATS is hardly getting used.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

GyverMac posted:

I can agree that you are tbe worst poster in this thread lol :frogout:

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

SectumSempra posted:

Hundreds of pages ago someone said a game set in the pacific northwest would be cool to see. I think that'd be great.

Wanna shoot a ghoul hipster in the nose ring

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SectumSempra posted:

depends whether or not paradox wants to saddle obsidian with the next vampire the masquerade game

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

edit: whatever gameplay footage you can find that is, the game is in the public's hands now and Bethesda is being unreasonable to the point of being Nazis about allowing gameplay footage.

From what I've seen in the leaked footage, shooting human opponents is a bit better because they take cover instead of doing the Gamebryo float. Nonhuman enemies still do the Gamebryo float.

Feedback to being shot is still lousy. For instance, I saw the player shoot a raider with a sawed off shotgun twice at point blank range in the midsection, and although her health went down like 70%, she didn't even flinch.

This is a problem that FO3, NV, and now FO4 have all shared. At this point I find it hard to believe that they hired some guy off of Destiny (a game that was released last year) to re-design all of the shooting from the ground up to now suddenly make it good. In fact, I find it impossible to believe that, because I've seen gameplay footage.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

depends whether or not paradox wants to saddle obsidian with the next vampire the masquerade game

I assume they have probaly had a team working on new fallout for a while, maybe since NV.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I've gone back to new vegas and it's kinda bad now. The strip is just an empty poo poo hole with a couple of npcs wandering about and a bunch of awful back and forth quests.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Buff Butler posted:

This is a problem that FO3, NV, and now FO4 have all shared. At this point I find it hard to believe that they hired some guy off of Destiny (a game that was released last year) to re-design all of the shooting from the ground up to now suddenly make it good. In fact, I find it impossible to believe that, because I've seen gameplay footage.

It's a fact that Josh Hamrick (the dev in question) left Bungie roughly a year ago after doing lead gameplay design on Destiny, to do exactly the same thing at Bethesda for Fallout 4.

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's a fact that Josh Hamrick (the dev in question) left Bungie roughly a year ago after doing lead gameplay design on Destiny, to do exactly the same thing at Bethesda for Fallout 4.

Huh. While it would be crass to suggest that that's why Destiny has gotten so much better in the past year, maybe that's why Destiny has gotten so much better in the past year.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Anyway! That review wasn't too bad, we know the story is gonna be poo poo and we know it's gonna be a long game which you're gonna be playing for 100 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hemale in pain posted:

I've gone back to new vegas and it's kinda bad now. The strip is just an empty poo poo hole with a couple of npcs wandering about and a bunch of awful back and forth quests.

The Strip is the worst area of the game, but you really don't have to spend much time there at all. I thought it was intentional that Vegas is built up in your head as you travel there, and when you get there, it's just another little settlement with a bunch of assholes.

• Locked thread