Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Per WSJ Carson's autobiography is full of utter nonsense:

How does retaking a test make you honest? His lies make no loving sense whatsoever.

Ben Carson is a walking email forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Today is the first day to vote early for the Louisiana general election! The early voting line is usually like four old people at the door, but today it doubles back twice, and starts when you step out of the elevator. There's easily 100+ people here.

I won't try to read tea leaves. Middle aged and older white people make up the bulk of the line and are presumed to be Republicans until proven innocent. That said, a lot of people detest David Vitter so :shrug:

Seriously, this line is (anecdotally) unprecedented.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I think Carson might get a bump from all this poo poo. Right wing media seems to be doubling down on it all and asking why Obama never faced the same kind of scrutiny.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Remember the 'Discovery, Scrutiny, Rejection' pattern from 2012 as Republicans desperately tried to find a not-Romney? I bet Carson's going through the rejection phase right now.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

The line was just as long when I left.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

all this goes to show that the right is willing to weave any web of logic, no matter how tenuous and unreal, to avoid jeb! or any other establishment candidate. this whole fiasco might be the most damning thing i've seen for jeb!'s campaign yet.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

fknlo posted:

I think Carson might get a bump from all this poo poo. Right wing media seems to be doubling down on it all and asking why Obama never faced the same kind of scrutiny.

If Carson is the nominee, we will skate to victory.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

fknlo posted:

depends what you mean by "all this poo poo". The west point thing? Definitely. Albert Einstein gave me $10? Probably.

But the pyramids thing is catching on with people who don't give a gently caress about politics. Memes are getting made. The only thing the right cannot abide is ridicule and the pyramid thing is inviting ridicule. He's done, for real.

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015

30.5 Days posted:

depends what you mean by "all this poo poo". The west point thing? Definitely. Albert Einstein gave me $10? Probably.

But the pyramids thing is catching on with people who don't give a gently caress about politics. Memes are getting made. The only thing the right cannot abide is ridicule and the pyramid thing is inviting ridicule. He's done, for real.

I sure hope not. Carson winning the nomination would basically be like an assured victory for Bernillary.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

fknlo posted:

Even lefty media is like "well Carson is bad but politico is also full of poo poo" so I don't think this is going to hurt him with people who were already going to vote for him at all.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

fknlo posted:

Bill Ayers? Jeremiah Wright? Birthers? "Dreams from my Real Father"? Accusations that he's a crypto-Muslim?

It's like they've forgotten every accusation they've thrown against him.

Of course the point is that "the MSM wasn't the group to ask him the hard questions, only Fox and the right-wing media was brave enough to do so" so those don't really count.

It's the same old hash of "why won't people take my fictional world and treat it as fact?" that we've seen for a while now, most recently in condemning CNBC for not just blindly accepting that candidates' tax plans will work, or that they are the true representation of the American populace, even if they are at odds with their party.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Of course the point is that "the MSM wasn't the group to ask him the hard questions, only Fox and the right-wing media was brave enough to do so" so those don't really count.

The funniest part is when they brag about Fox being the most-watched news network, and then whine about the MSM. Plus the rightwing has a quasi monopoly on talk radio

Who the gently caress is the MSM if not the right wing? Maybe they mean print media that no one cares about anyway

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

baw posted:

Do you have a link to that essay, or is it only available in print? Google isn't helping. I'm reading The Pale King now and the idea of DFW ripping apart a piece of lovely writing sounds very entertaining.

It is in the essay collection "Consider the Lobster" but I realized its about Tracy Austin, not Steffi Graff. The title of the essay is How Tracy Austin Broke My Heart.

Link here: http://lostcoindev.com/pipermail/class-list_lostcoindev.com/attachments/20090310/b9fe4368/attachment.pdf

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Anchor Wanker posted:

I sure hope not. Carson winning the nomination would basically be like an assured victory for Bernillary.

On the one hand, any Democrat wants a weak Republican in the general, on the other hand whoever gets in the general against the incumbent party is one major event/recession/etc away from getting a last-minute boost over the top, so no Republican is sure to lose either.

If you want to think strategic in the Republican primary, hope that whoever comes out of it is scarred and mocked enough outside his own base that the true believers and/or moderate voters either stay home or vote third party, and that the Democrat-leaning people turn out. With this year's lineup, that's not an unreasonable hope even with the less crazy candidates.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Salvor_Hardin posted:

It is in the essay collection "Consider the Lobster" but I realized its about Tracy Austin, not Steffi Graff. The title of the essay is How Tracy Austin Broke My Heart.

Link here: http://lostcoindev.com/pipermail/class-list_lostcoindev.com/attachments/20090310/b9fe4368/attachment.pdf

Whoa weird timing. Thanks for the link!

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Luigi Thirty posted:

Even lefty media is like "well Carson is bad but politico is also full of poo poo" so I don't think this is going to hurt him with people who were already going to vote for him at all.

Honestly, the opportunity to deservedly mock Tiger Beat on the Potomac is definitely worth giving Carson a pass on the West Point thing. It's not like there's a shortage of crazy / dishonest Carson things to talk about, and I'm sure more will continue to surface.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I keep trying to visualize Carson getting a tenner for finishing an exam from the professor and can only laugh.

Like, what the hell? Did he get a high five and a reach around, too? Who does this?

Phenylketonuric
Aug 12, 2003

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I keep trying to visualize Carson getting a tenner for finishing an exam from the professor and can only laugh.

Like, what the hell? Did he get a high five and a reach around, too? Who does this?

It's almost like Carson got two different fictitious narratives about him being an exceptional students mixed up:

One seems to be an "honest/fair student" story where the rest of the class had an unfair advantage on the original test, like last year's version or the answer sheet had been leaked, and Carson was the only student who rejected cheating and actually studied for the retest. This is good too because Carson is the only hard working student, while the others are whiny Liberal babies, reinforcing conservative antiintellectuslism.

The other storyline, the "student teaches the master," resembles one of those forwarded-email stories about an rear end in a top hat professor offering a seemingly impossible bet to students as a way to prove his worldview. But wonder kid Carson subverts or triumphs over the professor, earns a token 10bux, and most importantly, makes the elitist/pretentious/communist professor look like a chump.

Carson couldn't decide which storyline to go with, so he went with a mashup, and that's why the elements of the story (especially the reward) fit so poorly together.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Abel Wingnut posted:

all this goes to show that the right is willing to weave any web of logic, no matter how tenuous and unreal, to avoid jeb! or any other establishment candidate. this whole fiasco might be the most damning thing i've seen for jeb!'s campaign yet.

This isn't fair. By any criteria, even today, Carson is a better candidate than JEB!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Bill Ayers? Jeremiah Wright? Birthers? "Dreams from my Real Father"? Accusations that he's a crypto-Muslim?

You just wait till the "whitey" tape comes out. Then Obama's goose will be cooked.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

From my experience talking to conservative evangelical Christians yesterday, it hasn't harmed Carson at all. In fact somehow even bringing up him lying about West Point is attacking the man's Christian faith.

Evangelicals are pretty firmly stuck in the culture war mindset. He's golden if he can hang on until he can start bitching about the War On Christmas.

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

"Friend bear" is really gaining traction on Twitter. It reminds me of all those Zybourne Clock passages that people now assume were real instead of from threads mocking it. The Zybourne President.

An earlier tweet from the same account:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It's the same old hash of "why won't people take my fictional world and treat it as fact?" that we've seen for a while now, most recently in condemning CNBC for not just blindly accepting that candidates' tax plans will work, or that they are the true representation of the American populace, even if they are at odds with their party.

by definition he didn't get enough scrutiny, because he got elected president something that would never happen if the American people knew the depths of his evil

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

So they're trying to figure out whether or not they should charge like an entire high school with CP charges after finding that everyone was trading naked photos of each other at a high school. It was centered on the football team, as usual. They even had point values assigned to photos and bragged about their collections, stored in phone apps that hide photos. Someone found out about it via an anonymous tip. Some people were just sending girls unsolicited dick pics and asking for pics of themselves in response. It's so big that they don't know what to do about it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

So they're trying to figure out whether or not they should charge like an entire high school with CP charges after finding that everyone was trading naked photos of each other at a high school. They used apps that hide photos and someone found out about it. It was centered on the football team, as usual. People were just sending girls dick pics and asking for pics of themselves in response. It's so big that they don't know what to do about it.

So many other kids get CP charges for photos of themselves, so I kind of hope they charge the whole team, as effecting FOOTBALL might be the only way to change the law.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Luigi Thirty posted:

So they're trying to figure out whether or not they should charge like an entire high school with CP charges after finding that everyone was trading naked photos of each other at a high school. It was centered on the football team, as usual. They even had point values assigned to photos and bragged about their collections, stored in phone apps that hide photos. Someone found out about it via an anonymous tip. Some people were just sending girls unsolicited dick pics and asking for pics of themselves in response. It's so big that they don't know what to do about it.

For shame. I thought the US had the school-to-prison pipeline sorted already.

They could just turn the whole school into a juvenile prison. If it's anything like the way they run usual urban schools these days, who could tell the difference? :smith:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Luigi Thirty posted:

This is a case of "Too Big to Fail", I take it?

(Incidentally the response to the unsolicited pictures as well :v:)

Dollars to donuts the decision to prosecute will be evaluated on two sequential criteria of the school district:

1. Per capita income

and

2. Race

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 7, 2015

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

It actual seems like the DA grasps that charging an entire middle an high school with CP would be Hella stupid, so that's something.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

The Phlegmatist posted:

From my experience talking to conservative evangelical Christians yesterday, it hasn't harmed Carson at all. In fact somehow even bringing up him lying about West Point is attacking the man's Christian faith.

Evangelicals are pretty firmly stuck in the culture war mindset. He's golden if he can hang on until he can start bitching about the War On Christmas.

This is a real picture hanging in Ben Carson's house:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rygar201 posted:

It actual seems like the DA grasps that charging an entire middle an high school with CP would be Hella stupid, so that's something.

So instead the DA will just wait till they find another 17yr old that sent a nudie pic to someone and ruin their life instead!

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Phenylketonuric posted:

It's almost like Carson got two different fictitious narratives about him being an exceptional students mixed up:

One seems to be an "honest/fair student" story where the rest of the class had an unfair advantage on the original test, like last year's version or the answer sheet had been leaked, and Carson was the only student who rejected cheating and actually studied for the retest. This is good too because Carson is the only hard working student, while the others are whiny Liberal babies, reinforcing conservative antiintellectuslism.

The other storyline, the "student teaches the master," resembles one of those forwarded-email stories about an rear end in a top hat professor offering a seemingly impossible bet to students as a way to prove his worldview. But wonder kid Carson subverts or triumphs over the professor, earns a token 10bux, and most importantly, makes the elitist/pretentious/communist professor look like a chump.

Carson couldn't decide which storyline to go with, so he went with a mashup, and that's why the elements of the story (especially the reward) fit so poorly together.

"So, I hear you like to stab people, how would you like to stab people with the best this nation has to offer?"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

smg77 posted:

This is a real picture hanging in Ben Carson's house:

Everyone ragging on Carson for being a Christian who supports the arts.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Everyone ragging on Carson for being a Christian who supports the arts.

You can get a sneak preview of what a Ben Carson Oval Office would look like

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

smg77 posted:

It never really occurred to me but it's probably a sign of some deep psychological issues if you have a majority of pictures of yourself and yourself with literal God figures.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

smg77 posted:

Ben Carson for White House decorator 2016.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

mlmp08 posted:

Ben Carson for White House decorator 2016.

I don't think "pictures of me everywhere" is a design aesthetic.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

RuanGacho posted:

I don't think "pictures of me everywhere" is a design aesthetic.

I just kind of enjoy the idea of Hillary Clinton having to cringe as foreign dignitaries stare in horrified awe.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Some people were just sending girls unsolicited dick pics ... It's so big that they don't know what to do about it.

:crossarms:

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

:bravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

I kind of hope Ben Carson or his wife were just too polite to tell the artist to do it again. There are no mistakes, only happy accidents.

• Locked thread