Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Shinjobi posted:

We still using GetOut on Asura? Not sure how active it is.

GetOut is the Goon LS on Asura. It is not very active, but you can have two linkshells equipped at once. Even the ls leader, Frod, barely has the ls equipped because it is basically inactive. If you do not have a GetOut linkpearl, I suggest getting one because it doesn't hurt to have extra linkpearls.

You can get linkpearls from an npc in some of the main cities, they are called Linkshell Concierges. https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Linkshell_Concierge

Gruknor fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
Is there anyone on the Quetzalcoat server that has access to peridot's? I really don't want to grind out goldsmithing, but I hate having 30 slots only.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Bahanahab posted:

Is there anyone on the Quetzalcoat server that has access to peridot's? I really don't want to grind out goldsmithing, but I hate having 30 slots only.

Asura has about 12 peridots on the ah.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

Gruknor posted:

Asura has about 12 peridots on the ah.

Ok, done. Transferring once the transfer service goes on sale.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Bahanahab posted:

:getin:

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
I'll be transferring during the free login campaign next week. How does the npc party system work?
I had a merc, but now I see stuff like trusts and alter ego?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Kortel posted:

I'll be transferring during the free login campaign next week. How does the npc party system work?
I had a merc, but now I see stuff like trusts and alter ego?

You do a trivial quest available at level 5 in any of the starting cities. That'll unlock the trust and alter ego mechanic (it's basically two names for the same thing), letting you summon up to 3 party members of various NPCs like Shantotto or Ayame. Each one has its own job and list of available abilities/spells (so one white mage trust might do healing and debuffing while another might do healing and status curing and a third might do healing and melee dps).

Any and all trusts will only be active when your weapon is drawn and you have smacked an enemy, they'll only pay direct attention to that enemy (though they might AoE things and will still retain any threat they generated on other enemies if you switch targets), and will promptly deactivate and go back to following you around if you put your weapon away (even the healers). They take care of their own positioning, which may or may not be sensible. So they're like real party members but can definitely be derpy. Their HP and MP also regenerates quite fast if you stay out of combat for a while.

They scale to your level when you summon them, and are treated as having relatively decent but not amazing gear for that level. As you level, you can periodically resummon them to catch them up to your new level, and since they're always decently enough geared, you don't really have to worry about keeping yourself geared too much when leveling alt jobs.

Each NPC has to be unlocked individually - you get a freebie in each city just for doing its local trust quest (Naji, Kupipi, and Excenmille). Beyond that, some have requirements like country or expansion mission progression or completing related quests. If this is an experienced character that you're rebooting, you'll probably have already fulfilled a lot of these requirements and you can just do a lap of going around and talking to people and unlocking them as trusts. (e: While you're doing this lap, also click on any home points or "survival guides" (they look like floating books) you see - they'll be marked on the map, flashing if you haven't clicked them yet - since those will serve as fast travel points for you.)

After the initial wave of trusts (where they actually got individual cutscenes), most of the trusts added since then have come in the form of "Cipher: <name>" items in your inventory that you bring to one of the trust-quest NPCs to turn into a summonable trust in your list. Some ciphers come from seasonal events, some from later missions, some are buyable for various currencies like conquest points. Quite a few come from the monthly login point events, which has 5-6 trusts available each month, and gradually cycle through them all (if you're diligent about login points you'll get most or all of these in half a year or so). There are also "alter ego expos" for most of a month on a quarterly basis (1/4/7/10, I think?), which seem to have one set of trusts for fall/spring and another set for summer/winter. The quarterly trusts from these tend to be more interesting/useful than the monthly trusts from login points (which are often Yet Another Non-Utility DPS).

Finally, the "Rhapsodies of Vana'diel" missions they've been adding recently, in addition to trying to tie up the story, crap out a shitload of practical gameplay benefits (to the point that it's worth doing them out of order even if you haven't done all preceding missions yet). Those benefits include, among other things, the ability to summon a 4th and later a 5th trust, allowing you to have a full party of 6, consisting of yourself and 5 trusts.

Vil fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 7, 2015

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
That sounds pretty neat, I'm transferring a 90ish DRG which is only half way done with the first story plot. So not much to worry about.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Bahanahab posted:

Sound idea. Quetz is terrible.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

LiquidFriend posted:

Sound idea. Quetz is terrible.

Asura is pretty much one of the few servers that people are congregating to.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Any tips for returning players from around Abyssea?

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Kortel posted:

Any tips for returning players from around Abyssea?

Depends on what you want to do. I would unlock trusts, records of eminence quests and unity quests asap. Getting a healer/tank/support/dd trusts will also help. It seems like they are always having login campaigns where you can get cool trusts, and events where you can get even more cool trusts. Some are next to useless, while others are almost always useful. There are some that are only useful for niche things. They have trusts that help you with combat skillups and another will help you with magic skillups. They have a trust that helps with capacity points gain, etc. Trusts have changed the game and made it more solo player friendly. End game is still a gear grind with elitists, but if you have half a brain, know how to listen to simple directions, and use gearswap, you can probably get an invite if you are a geo or some other support or nuker or healer. Welcome back. There are a ton of returning to ffxi player guides. Just use google and you will find them. Most of them are probably outdated, but it still might help you out. On November 10th 2015 it will be the last Major Content Update Patch. So you are coming back at a very interesting time. The Asura goon ls is called GetOut.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Just an FYI, you can't transfer unless you have a paid subscription.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
I'm buying a sub on Monday and a transfer when the deal hits. Also picking up Seekers.
I guess right now I should be working towards my final Limit Break, then clearing all the story content. I have DRG (94) RNG and DNC post 70 if I recall correctly. Can trusts be used in most areas or locked out of instances?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

You can use trusts in most (if not all) main-plot content. It's more "instanced event" stuff, like Einherjar and until recently Abyssea, where they're disallowed. But they're allowed in far more things than they're forbidden in.

Whether they're useful or not for such events is another matter entirely. They're pretty useless for anything where a real party would have people spread out and act individually, for example, and in general they're weak in combat for anything that significantly includes a. positioning concerns, b. keeping helper NPCs alive, or c. dealing with packs of enemies (although you can kinda work around C with frequent target switching).

They're awesome for leveling and quite sufficient for the vast majority of plot fights though.

My advice is this:

- As already mentioned recently in the thread, unlock a. trusts, b. records of eminence, and c. unity concord. Records of eminence in particular has a shitload of stuff in it, both non-repeatable and repeatable, but think of it as serving a dual function of a. giving you goals to work towards and b. giving you rewards for things you're doing anyway.

- When going anywhere in the world for any purpose, pop open your map (related: practically every map can now be bought from the map vendor NPC in starting towns for gil) and look for flashing symbols. The blue crystal symbols usually represent home points (but the map symbol for telepoints is either identical or close to it) and the book symbols represent survival guides. Flashing means you haven't clicked on that particular one yet to unlock it, non-flashing just lets you know where it is. These are the game's new fast travel system and will be your best friend for getting around. You can warp from any home point to any other previously-visited home point for a small gil fee, and ditto with survival guides. When you get to Adoulin areas there's a similar system there which uses a different currency and has a few more limitations in where you can go from where, but that's worth unlocking too when you get around to Adoulin content.

- Run through "Rhapsodies of Vana'diel" missions until you hit a wall where due to plot progress and/or tough fights, you can't continue any more. The key items they periodically fork over in those missions, give you a shitload of practical benefits (notably including letting you summon a fourth and later a fifth trust).

- Raise your level cap to 99.

- Get a set of item level 117 gear with "sparks", the currency that pretty much every objective in records of eminence will throw at you. There's a mage set, a light armor set, and a heavy armor set. Don't worry too much about it being super optimized for you, but it's a serviceable placeholder until such time as you can get better item level gear. The fact that it's item level gear at all (and reasonably high numerically at that) will get you lots of boosts to combat skills, evasion, etc., not to mention substantial increases to your main stats.

- Figure out what other goals you want to pursue, and do them. Do you care about gearing up and facing tougher endgame content? Look into processes to do that. Do you want to level things? Go level things. Do you care about seeing the rest of the plot? Go start plowing through missions. (The only things that'll put up a fight at 99 in sparks gear, are some of the later Adoulin missions and - maybe - some of the later Rhapsodies missions. All the story stuff pre-Adoulin will be crazy trivial with sparks gear and an army of trusts.)

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Vil posted:

~Clipped~

Quick travel looks awesome. Are groups still required for the 95-99 unlock? Last I remember I was attempting to get the items required for the fight.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Kortel posted:

Quick travel looks awesome. Are groups still required for the 95-99 unlock? Last I remember I was attempting to get the items required for the fight.

A group of Actual Competent Geared Players (or, ya know, at least one good damage dealer to pad out your trusts) would be better, of course, but you can do it with trusts. You may want to grind out more than one of the debuffing item, just in case.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Vil posted:

A group of Actual Competent Geared Players (or, ya know, at least one good damage dealer to pad out your trusts) would be better, of course, but you can do it with trusts. You may want to grind out more than one of the debuffing item, just in case.

You can buy the items with login points, so unless you do not want to wait for the next login campaign(it should be happening shortly), I would just ask people to help you out either in this forum, in ls chat or via /yell.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Vil posted:

When I did it back during the last free login campaign, I did it with me, one goon, and his higher level trusts (since he already had 99). It was a cakewalk.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Definitely, although there's a big difference, even just on the trust front, between a batch of level 95 trusts and a batch of level 99, item level 119 trusts. Throw in the goon and, well, even though it's a goon the trusts could probably still salvage it. :v:

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Vil posted:

Definitely, although there's a big difference, even just on the trust front, between a batch of level 95 trusts and a batch of level 99, item level 119 trusts. Throw in the goon and, well, even though it's a goon the trusts could probably still salvage it. :v:

i'm pretty sure i can oneshot the mob(s?) in that fight.

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006
Patch notes are out.
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/49065

- Alter egos can now be called forth in the following content.
Dynamis / Sinister Reign

Surprised they didn't do Salvage as well.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Dynamis.....rip

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
I guess this means ancient currency prices are gonna tank. boo, I still have so much sitting around

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

I don't think trusts will have an impact in Dynamis.

Dynamis was already super easy without and having 5 NPC's won't suddenly crank your proc rate high.

Farming also sucks.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This is a pretty big update. Not making any real headway on it. I'm sure 95% of it is clogged intertubes, but still.

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006
2100 JP gifts are up. 15 minutes off your one hour abilities apparently.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/45366?p=549837#post549837

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Kieyen posted:

2100 JP gifts are up. 15 minutes off your one hour abilities apparently.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/45366?p=549837#post549837

You forgot to mention having 2100 jp spent on one job unlocks that job's aeonic weapon quest and you get a title that says you poopsock it.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Oh hello, these trusts sound just like GW1's hero system. I used to play this game when I was in highscool, and I loved it. I never got back into it, but not having to party up for crabs, and having an npc party will make me want to come back and try it out again. I'll have to start over from scratch but I do want to actually exeperience the whole game and not just a few starter zones.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Sprite141 posted:

Oh hello, these trusts sound just like GW1's hero system. I used to play this game when I was in highscool, and I loved it. I never got back into it, but not having to party up for crabs, and having an npc party will make me want to come back and try it out again. I'll have to start over from scratch but I do want to actually exeperience the whole game and not just a few starter zones.

Start on a highly populated server, Odin, Asura, are two that I know off hand. Asura is the official goon led and fed LS. Most of us are afk, but occasionally we come out of our pizza induced comas to talk and play ffxi. Joobacca, Frod, Cubswoo, and others will have a linksack to give you a linkpearl to the GetOut linkshell. Others also have a linksack, but I can not remember who does and who does not. The easiest and fastest way to get pearled would be to just make a post of your in game name, and that you will be on for such and such amount of time. Then when you log off, edit the post saying you are very disappointed and will call Tanaka's ghost if you do not get a pearl. Guaranteed to work, guarantee not valid anywhere.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think I have a linksack, and if you /tell me ingame I'll usually stop whatever I'm doing and help you because I loving NEVER do anything of importance.:thumbsup:

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Shinjobi posted:

I think I have a linksack, and if you /tell me ingame I'll usually stop whatever I'm doing and help you because I loving NEVER do anything of importance.:thumbsup:

Your in game name is still Shinjobi?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Gruknor posted:

Your in game name is still Shinjobi?

Yep.

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006
Goodie bag is up.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/November_2015_Version_Update_Changes

And something for Shinjobi.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Fail-Not

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Welp, rip every other trust. Welcome to the age of ark angel parties.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

They....they finally made something for me.:swoon:

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
According to the end credits (yes, FFXI is an MMO with an end credit roll after you finish RoV) the NA side is down to 5 GMs and 2 SGMs.

Also, outside of some very specific high end gear setups, the last fight is not something that is easily soloable with trusts.

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 10, 2015

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Well I mean I am interested but GW2 did just release an expansion and is going strong. I'm sure as poo poo gonna jump in this, just don't know when. I'll make sure to take your advice when I do though!

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

CubsWoo posted:

According to the end credits (yes, FFXI is an MMO with an end credit roll after you finish RoV) the NA side is down to 5 GMs and 2 SGMs.

Also, outside of some very specific high end gear setups, the last fight is not something that is easily soloable with trusts.

It is easy to solo about halfway and then just watch as the NPC continually reraises itself to zombie down the boss for you a half hour later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking of trying the game out again for the free period, just to do the storylines and eventually hop back out. How solo-friendly is the game?