Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

I don't know if this has been posted in the thread already - a goddamn $700 pourover. what the hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Finally, a pour-over that makes the Technivorm look affordable.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Finally, a pour-over device that I can use to kill James Bond.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Please tell me it doesn't include the flask and the filters cost extra.

Also goddammit why am I looking at different shaped tampers now. I'm like 95% sure this is just some voodoo but that 5% really wants me to buy them.

E: oh that $35 is just for the handle? And it's another $37 for the base? LOL nope

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 4, 2015

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
What would be the best Espresso machine for the lowest price?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

The_Rob posted:

Best is subjective; lowest price option is just chewing beans and washing them down with warm water.

If you want a real answer you need to provide a price range, at minimum.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

bizwank posted:

Best is subjective; lowest price option is just chewing beans and washing them down with warm water.

Just like my grand pappy.

I'd say like 60 to 80 bucks.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Do you want an electric machine with a pump that sits on your counter? You can't get anything reliable in that price range except maybe a used estro profi / starbucks barista, and they'll probably need some work. A mokapot or an aeropress would run you around $30 and both are machine enough for lots of people.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

The_Rob posted:

Gaggia Classic is the cheapest espresso machine anyone should buy. It's even cheaper if it's refurbished.

Also don't forget that the most important part of your espresso kit is your grinder. Do not skimp on your grinder.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 5, 2015

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

dik-dik posted:

Gaggia Classic is the cheapest espresso machine anyone should buy. It's even cheaper if it's refurbished.
The Gaggias are a nice choice for the 58mm portafilter and dual heating elements on the boiler but they also require skillful grinding/tamping. For babby's first espresso machine an entry-level Saeco will be much more forgiving and will also (on average) last quite a bit longer.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

bizwank posted:

The Gaggias are a nice choice for the 58mm portafilter and dual heating elements on the boiler but they also require skillful grinding/tamping. For babby's first espresso machine an entry-level Saeco will be much more forgiving and will also (on average) last quite a bit longer.

What, like a Saeco Aroma? When I was buying my machine I remember considering that but dismissing it in favor of the Gaggia although it's been so long I honestly don't remember what the specific reasons were.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

The_Rob posted:

Just like my grand pappy.

I'd say like 60 to 80 bucks.

Just get a decent moka pot, really. Most "decent" espresso machines are gonna run you up more than $100, even refurbed. Espresso machines are not cheap for a reason.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

dik-dik posted:

What, like a Saeco Aroma? When I was buying my machine I remember considering that but dismissing it in favor of the Gaggia although it's been so long I honestly don't remember what the specific reasons were.
Aroma, Via Venezia, an old Barista, etc. All the same inside, pretty rock-solid as far as consumer machines for under $300 go. The Sirena is a little step up if you can find one, dual-boiler and 58mm, but it looks like E.T.'s head and not everybody is into that.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I think there are a few goons with Rok Pressos? It is functionally more like an aeropress on steroids than a traditional espresso machine, though apparently it works fairly well. $100 to $170 if you can find it on sale.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I've spent the past few days reading around....oh....100 pages of this thread and bouncing around various sites reading reviews and what you but still have some questions I'm hoping people can help me with. Oh I am coming from the wild world of lovely drip coffee machiens + Kuregis.....tired of such crap tasting black coffee that needs constant milk/sugar/coffee creamer to enjoy. Starbucks isn't any better I'm finding but hot drat if I am spoiled with all the great coffee places around me.

Also does Black Friday time typically see things like these go on sale anywhere or am I basically paying the same no matter the time of year?

In terms of the V60, my first foray into owning my own big boy coffee equipment, is there a difference between ceramic/plastic/whatever else they make?
For Gooseneck kettles is This guy a good choice?

So my basic plan so far is to get myself a nice shiney Grinder, a v60, Electric kettle and a hario cold fuse pot(Thanks Becoming for the great recipe)
Home roasting will begin with a whirly pop and if I'm still loving coffee then I will make the plunge in to a honest to goodness espresso maker

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 6, 2015

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Baratza is a great choice and they often have refurbished units for sale on their website. SCG usually does some sort of Black Friday sale and could probably tell you if a Baratza will be included this year.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I've spent the past few days reading around....oh....100 pages of this thread and bouncing around various sites reading reviews and what you but still have some questions I'm hoping people can help me with. Oh I am coming from the wild world of lovely drip coffee machiens + Kuregis.....tired of such crap tasting black coffee that needs constant milk/sugar/coffee creamer to enjoy. Starbucks isn't any better I'm finding but hot drat if I am spoiled with all the great coffee places around me.

Also does Black Friday time typically see things like these go on sale anywhere or am I basically paying the same no matter the time of year?

In terms of the V60, my first foray into owning my own big boy coffee equipment, is there a difference between ceramic/plastic/whatever else they make?

So my basic plan so far is to get myself a nice shiney Grinder, a v60, Electric kettle and a hario cold fuse pot(Thanks Becoming for the great recipe)
Home roasting will begin with a whirly pop and if I'm still loving coffee then I will make the plunge in to a honest to goodness espresso maker

Yes many people like that kettle, although I don't personally own one. For V60, I prefer glass or ceramic as they don't retain odors and clean up more easily.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

So, as a newcomer to the world of coffee, I have one question.
What do I want to look for if I want to avoid coffee that tastes overwhelmingly like overripe fruit?

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Klades posted:

So, as a newcomer to the world of coffee, I have one question.
What do I want to look for if I want to avoid coffee that tastes overwhelmingly like overripe fruit?

Natural or dry processed coffees are what you don't want. Washed coffees are what you do want!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I have that kettle and can confirm it is in fact awesome.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Thanks for the responses. Going to try a V60 tomorrow, hopefully, to see if that is indeed what I want to really get into over the French press.

Last question as I'm kinda loosing my mind reading reviews but out of the 2 I'm about to list....what do you guys recommend for espresso machines?

Crossland Coffee CC1

or

Rancilio Silvia Espresso Machine

I know neither one is "high end" but both seem to be great true Espresso machines.
Is there even much different if you have the PID on the Silvia or what?
I am leaning toward the CC1 but can be swayed either way. hoping Black Friday to grab one

edit: Oh also is the Baratza Virtuoso or Preciso a better grinder for espresso/grinding fun?

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 7, 2015

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Thanks for the responses. Going to try a V60 tomorrow, hopefully, to see if that is indeed what I want to really get into over the French press.

Last question as I'm kinda loosing my mind reading reviews but out of the 2 I'm about to list....what do you guys recommend for espresso machines?

Crossland Coffee CC1

or

Rancilio Silvia Espresso Machine

I know neither one is "high end" but both seem to be great true Espresso machines.
Is there even much different if you have the PID on the Silvia or what?
I am leaning toward the CC1 but can be swayed either way. hoping Black Friday to grab one

edit: Oh also is the Baratza Virtuoso or Preciso a better grinder for espresso/grinding fun?

You want the preciso. I don't know anything about the cross land cc1, the Silvia used to be the go-to entry level machine like a decade ago, I'd be surprised if it didn't at the very least have some new(er) contenders. I'm quite happy with my machine so I haven't been paying attention to the market for a while now.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Adding a PID absolutely made a difference with my Silvia. My shots are a lot more consistent now and it's a lot easier to gauge when to start milk steaming having the digital readout. I'm pretty pleased with it. It helps that I got the machine for drat near half price from a guy who used it three times though.

I don't have any experience with the Crossland but I've heard good things.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I am against espresso at home. It's expensive and time consuming to learn. Overall a big pain in the rear end to make a small drink. Also I rather like going to a cafe to get the drink.

Also you won't be saving any money by doing espresso at home.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

With excellent third wave beans from somewhere like 49th Parallel, it costs me $0.60 CAD to pull a double, and another $0.15 CAD to make it a cappuccino. The latter would cost me about $4.15 CAD with tax at either Starbucks or a decent local cafe. If my housemate and I have just one cappuccino every day, we are saving about $2500 every year, minus the cost of electricity and machine maintenance. I also make better coffee than any local cafe. I didn't get into home espresso for the savings, but tell me how I am not saving money by doing it at home? It has paid for the cost of my equipment many times over.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So you completely stopped going to cafes? Ok then you're an exception.

You also had to go through a ton of beans while learning it at home.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Both of you are idiots.

e: for content rather than making GBS threads and running

If you have to quantify your hobby by cost, it's not really a hobby.

If you have to poo poo on someone else's way of enjoying a subjective experience because it doesn't match up with yours then you're a knob.

If you like coffee, great! You like your Starbucks grande vente mocha latte? Great! You like your home roasted single origin hand-pulled espresso? Great! You like both? Great!

kim jong-illin fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Nov 7, 2015

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

So you completely stopped going to cafes? Ok then you're an exception.

You also had to go through a ton of beans while learning it at home.

Even if I went to cafes half the time I'd still be saving $1250/year, and I know plenty of people who spend more than $4.15 at cafes every day. I sure as hell didn't waste that much coffee learning to pull drinkable shots. I don't tell people to get into the home espresso hobby for the savings, but it's pretty hard to not break even and save money in the long run even if you are dropping $4-5k on a nice machine and grinder. The upfront cost is a bitch, but the consumables are very cheap compared to what you pay for a prepared drink, and good equipment lasts indefinitely.

kim jong-illin posted:

If you have to quantify your hobby by cost, it's not really a hobby.

Bob_McBob posted:

I didn't get into home espresso for the savings

I have no idea where the rest of your post is coming from.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Is it possible to order good roasted coffee on line?

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

Ropes4u posted:

Yes, I have been very happy with red bird coffee, intelligentsia, and blue bottle.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Hauki posted:

the Silvia used to be the go-to entry level machine like a decade ago, I'd be surprised if it didn't at the very least have some new(er) contenders.
Surprisingly, there still exists few, if any alternatives to the Silvia and the CC1 in the sub-$1K price range. The two machines cost about the same out of the box but the CC1 comes with digital temperature control, automatic pre-infusion and shot timing. To get all of that on the Silvia you need to add an aftermarket PID for an extra $225-$300 (you can buy one new with a PID already installed from a few places, they're also often on craigslist). The CC1 has a separate thermoblock for steam so you can go from brewing and steaming within a few seconds, but the downside of a thermoblock is weaker, wetter steam. The Silvia heats it's entire single boiler to steam temp so it goes like a monster but you then have to cool the boiler back down to coffee temp before you can pull your shots, which can take 1-2 minutes. The only other major differences between the two are the control design and support; the Silvia is all analog with big solid switches and is made by an Italian commercial machine company (the Silvia is their one consumer machine). Support is through authorized retailers and independent service centers and parts are readily available online as well as from Rancilio themselves. The CC1 is all digital on the control side with rotating push knobs and was designed right here in the USA by Bill Crossland (who is super nice and wicked smart); it's been on the market since around 2011. Support is again through authorized retailers but after that it's just Bill backing them up, and finding a local shop to work on it might be tricky (unless you're in Seattle) as the are much fewer of that machine in the field so many shops have probably never seen one. Parts have to come from Crossland.

IMO, there isn't much point getting into a machine of that caliber/price range without digital temperature control, especially if you're upgrading from a lesser machine because you want more control over the end product. The stock Silvia will have a brew temperature swing of 40-50F so it doesn't matter how consistent you are with every other part of the process, you're going to have a huge uncontrollable variable effecting every shot, which kind of defeats the purpose of getting a higher-end machine.

Ropes4u posted:

I've been using Mistobox for about 6 months now and have yet to receive anything I'd rate lower then 3 stars, and have also discovered a few new coffees that blew my mind. The beans come direct from the roasters so I've never had an issue with freshness, and it's a little like Christmas morning every time the box gets dropped off because you don't know what's coming next unless you check the site.

I am against cooking at home. It's expensive and time consuming to learn. Overall a big pain in the rear end to make one meal. Also I rather like going to a restaurant to get the meal. Also you won't be saving any money by doing cooking at home.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Mu Zeta posted:

I am against espresso at home. It's expensive and time consuming to learn. Overall a big pain in the rear end to make a small drink. Also I rather like going to a cafe to get the drink.

Ha, how does it feel to be so wrong on the internet. Best edict I've read today. Aaaa++++

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
I don't do espresso at home because I don't care for espresso for the most part. I love a good pour over, and sometimes a nice moka pot, but I'm not gonna drop a couple hundred on a machine I'm not gonna use often and don't really have space for. I work at a place where I can get espresso for free, anyways.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

bizwank posted:

I've been using Mistobox for about 6 months now and have yet to receive anything I'd rate lower then 3 stars, and have also discovered a few new coffees that blew my mind. The beans come direct from the roasters so I've never had an issue with freshness, and it's a little like Christmas morning every time the box gets dropped off because you don't know what's coming next unless you check the site.

They've delivered good coffee for me, but they're all over the place on delivery schedule. Plus, the bullshit of no option for pound bags versus 12 ounce is a real turn off. They declare confidently that 12 ounces is enough for two people for a week. Jesus.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Our deliveries have been consistently within a day or two of the 14 day schedule that we're on, coming via USPS, and we rarely run out before the next bag arrives but we're also only in the shop 4-5 days a week. The lack of larger sizes might be due to many roasters not offering larger sizes, or it might just be out of a desire to keep the business model and operations as simple as possible. As someone who does a lot of shipping, every extra box size you have to deal with adds a lot more overhead. That said, craftcoffee.com has an option for multiple 12oz bags per week and I'm sure others do as well.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Obligatory Toast posted:

I don't do espresso at home because I don't care for espresso for the most part. I love a good pour over, and sometimes a nice moka pot, but I'm not gonna drop a couple hundred on a machine I'm not gonna use often and don't really have space for. I work at a place where I can get espresso for free, anyways.

I got a Rancilio Silvia and have used it 2-3 times a day for over a year. Worth every penny. And I still have the moka, drip, french/aero press, etc for company.

I'm about to move an hour away from my roaster, though, and am trying to decide between finding a new local, making less frequent trips where I stock up and deal with the freshness hit, or try out a mail service (they all seem way too expensive though).

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
A lot of people recommend sweet Maria sampler for up to 8 pounds for 40 bucks. dirt cheap but is random what you are getting

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Home espresso is great. And at least, in my (obviously biased) and my friends' (obviously also biased—but they keep coming back for more, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) opinions, my shots are on par with most of the cafes in this town, and it honestly didn't take me that long or that many beans to learn (total cost of wasted beans on the order of $20 at worst).

Also I drink at least 1-2 shots/day, which would be at least ~$1500/year at a cafe (~$4 each). All told there's no way that my shots cost me more than $1 each (the cost of the raw beans is like $0.25—no way the electricity costs more than $0.75 per shot, and the water is free). Supplies add maybe another $20/year at most for cleaning and whatnot, so absolute worst case I'm spending like $750/year on coffee as is. My full espresso kit cost about $800, so unless you assume that my espresso machine and grinder both need to be replaced every year (so far they've bost lasted 2 years and have no signs of quitting soon) there is really no way I can crunch the numbers to make home espresso even comparable in price to cafe espresso if you drink at least one shot a day.

That said, obviously I'm in this hobby because I enjoy the process and I love coffee, not because it's the most cost efficient way I know to drink coffee, that's just a side benefit but one that is undeniably true.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
Oh yeah, no. When you can make amaaazing pulls at home then the entire amount you spent usually justifies itself... I don't have room for another small appliance though (I really, super do not) and don't feel the need to spend more money on something I have no place for, so I'm more than happy with my coffee dripper.

That said, yeah you really don't spend a whole shitton on espresso at home compared to buying a latte every week over the course of a year or so. Decent beans aren't actually that expensive and if you're buying for one or two people, it's not that bad. People spend more on videogames yearly anyways, so I don't understand a lot of the bougie snobbery associated with money spent on coffee-enthusiasm. At least coffee is full of antioxidants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I'm probably going to get my SPA card revoked for saying this but I think a lot of people just get mad whenever they perceive someone else to be spending a lot more money or caring a lot more about something than them. I get a similar reaction when people find out how much I spent on a pair of shoes or a watch or when I use a fountain pen (even if it's one that cost $3). When you live in a culture where people primarily define themselves by what they purchase, a lot of people get their egos bruised when they perceive that you've bought something better than them.

Also in general the only people I've seen with "espresso" machines at home are really wealthy people (I don't know anyone in the US other than myself who owns an espresso machine and doesn't also own a boat), so when you say "i have an espresso machine" I think a lot of people assume you've spent $2000 on some garbage superauto.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 8, 2015