Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mailorder bees

FLUFFERNUTTER

The Goatfather posted:

im really happy with my bread

im also rly happy with my DIY brick oven

those are unglazed quarry tiles and you can get 44 of them at home depot for less than the cost of a pizza stone: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Daltile-...url__W425238599

unglazed tiles is they way to go

thanks Manifisto!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh

The Goatfather posted:

im really happy with my bread

im also rly happy with my DIY brick oven

those are unglazed quarry tiles and you can get 44 of them at home depot for less than the cost of a pizza stone: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Daltile-...url__W425238599

Do you only need tiles for the surface you're baking on, or does the second layer ho above the bread/pizza to reflect the heat?

fuck. marry. t-rex

I think the idea is that you turn it real hot and they absorb a lot of heat and then radiate it while cooking so the top layer is prob good to have

fuck. marry. t-rex

Paging Oven Scientist to thread...?

poverty goat

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

I think the idea is that you turn it real hot and they absorb a lot of heat and then radiate it while cooking so the top layer is prob good to have

Yeah this is the theory

joke_explainer

They function more like heat sinks. Almost any oven can get real hot, but when you open the oven door, heat gushes out, resulting in an enormous loss of temp. Having something dense in there like quarry stone, a hunk of steel, or just pre-heated Dutch ovens gives stability and keeps the temperature more even as conduction, convection and radiation heat whatever you put in. Conduction is the biggest heat transfer as you can see on the crust of your pizza or bread.

The temperature remaining in that right range is essential for almost all baking, the 'magic' happens in the oven on those extreme temperatures, where steam formation helps solidify the crust and the rapidly heating dough undergoes a flurry of yeast production before the heat kills them. So temp maintenance is really important, just twenty degrees less hot and your results won't be nearly as good.

poverty goat

A heat battery/buffer might be a better analogy.

Differences in thermal conductivity and emissivity play a role as well. A hot metal surface would very efficiently conduct heat from every corner into the bread through the interface where they make physical contact, burning the bottom before the top was done
The tiles can hold a lot of heat but can't move it around very efficiently so the dough and tile will reach equilibrium fairly quickly at the very surface of the tile but then heat from the surrounding material won't keep pouring in

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 7, 2015

joke_explainer

Having one at the top and bottom reduces the gradient too, less variation.

poverty goat

joke_explainer posted:

Having one at the top and bottom reduces the gradient too, less variation.

Plus it's physically between the burners and the bread to mitigate any variation in the amount of radiant heat as the oven cycles on and off to maintain temperature

poverty goat

i made another bread

this one is Hokkaido Milk Bread

bread is cool because if you nailed it it doesnt need plating or garnish or anything it just looks loving sexy all on its own

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

I've always wanted to make a pumpkin pie from a pumpkin, so last month when we got stamps, I bought a pie pumpkin.

And then a ton of medical and pet stuff came up and I was busy as hell.

Miraculously, on Halloween, I checked the pumpkin and it was still good :iia: so I made a pumpkin pie.

the gourd in question

far easier to open up than a butternut squash!

Into the oven...

reasonably roasted, I think.

I cleaned the poo poo out of them in prep, and I left the browned bits hoping for a deeper flavor.

almost all-generic poverty pie.

and then I hosed up and got so busy adding spices and beating/adding eggs that I forgot to take pictures until this

pie??

pie. I was so tired after cooking it that I didn't get a picture straight out of the oven, and then we devoured it.

I need to learn how to get the filling perfectly smooth like canned pumpkin is, but leaving the browned bits did add a bit of flavor. The recipe I went by (a sticker on the pumpkin that I took off and put on the cabinet) didn't mention clove, but I figured it was a good idea to add it, and it definitely paid off. I need to work on making pie crusts next, which means getting more counter space, but this was ok for my first pie, I think.

poverty goat

how much better is it than a pie made from canned pumpkin

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

I'm not sure, the sense of accomplishment is really nice tho, and the control I have over roasting and what I do with the puree is cool. Canned is definitely better texture-wise though. I need to figure out how to make it smoother.

fuck. marry. t-rex

meteloides posted:

I'm not sure, the sense of accomplishment is really nice tho, and the control I have over roasting and what I do with the puree is cool. Canned is definitely better texture-wise though. I need to figure out how to make it smoother.

*holds finger to ear*

I'm being told 'try putting the goop in a sifter/sieve or china cap and push it through the mesh with a spatula'.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Invest in a food mill. A good one isn't all that expensive and it's amazing for some specific kitchen tasks that aren't easily replicated otherwise.

It's exactly suited to turn starches with fibrous components, like sweet potato and pumpkin, into smooth purees without overworking them or adding excessive dairy. I will never go back to making mashed potatoes with a humble potato masher. Give me the smpooth perfection of food mill mashed potatoes every time now. Also great for extracting maximum flavor from things like the vegetables left over from a strained braising liquid. Or quickly getting all the tomato out of a tomato for a sauce while separating the skins.

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

*holds finger to ear*

I'm being told 'try putting the goop in a sifter/sieve or china cap and push it through the mesh with a spatula'.

poo poo, I didn't even think of that, we just did that recently with cat food, too.

Bo-Pepper posted:

Invest in a food mill. A good one isn't all that expensive and it's amazing for some specific kitchen tasks that aren't easily replicated otherwise.

It's exactly suited to turn starches with fibrous components, like sweet potato and pumpkin, into smooth purees without overworking them or adding excessive dairy. I will never go back to making mashed potatoes with a humble potato masher. Give me the smpooth perfection of food mill mashed potatoes every time now. Also great for extracting maximum flavor from things like the vegetables left over from a strained braising liquid. Or quickly getting all the tomato out of a tomato for a sauce while separating the skins.

oooh. this definitely looks useful for a lot of things. I found a nice RSVP one on Amazon and added it to my wishlist, so I'll try to get that at some point, thank you!

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN

Bo-Pepper posted:

My dad uses one on the stock veggies when he makes lentils and though it's really unappetising to look at, the resulting goop is really tasty.

fuck. marry. t-rex

meteloides posted:

poo poo, I didn't even think of that, we just did that recently with cat food, too.

Catfood Pie? Good username but Pretty Gross

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

lmao not quite but maybe she would've eaten it better that way

poverty goat

for breakfast im having french toast except instead of bread i used costco apple turnovers and i spiked the eggwash with weed oil

poverty goat

i made a cake. i didnt even decorate it

1 layer of almond pound cake sandwiched between 2 layers of fudgy bittersweet chocolate cake with chocolate mousse as mortar, covered in marzipan and ganache

all in all, almost 4 pounds of bittersweet chocolate (that chocolate rocks by the way, it really took the cake to the next level :goatdrugs:)

i made some bread today also

i hope you all had some good food today!

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 25, 2015

joke_explainer

That loaf looks great, please cut a slice off and show us the interior though. Well done on both accounts. What was the recipe?

poverty goat

the bread is http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/french-style-country-bread-recipe but a bit on the wet side of the recommendations with a 2:1 bread:wheat flour blend

the cake consists of:
http://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/essential-bittersweet-chocolate-cake-for-improvising (note this recipe tells you to bake it way too long, it only needs like 12 mins and the skewer will come out clean)
http://www.italian-dessert-recipes.com/almond-pound-cake.html (plus some almond extract)
plus mousse, marzipan, ganache.

e: bonus bread http://i.imgur.com/smfoGBs.webm

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 25, 2015

joke_explainer

That's good. What yeast did you use? Thank you for sharing

joke_explainer

Makes me so happy to see bread like that. The more people experiencing real bread from home the better.

Golden Gate Bride
knife to meet you
So I got a tajine. Anyone have any ideaa how to make delicious vegetarian food with it?

poverty goat

joke_explainer posted:

That's good. What yeast did you use? Thank you for sharing

food lion brand acive dry yeast in a jar

joke_explainer posted:

Makes me so happy to see bread like that. The more people experiencing real bread from home the better.

yeah the bread situation in america is really bullshit. a few months ago i snapped eating some loving grocery store whole wheat bread and I haven't bought bread since (and neither has my grandma, who waxes nostalgic about her father's bakery in belgium before the war whenever i bring her some :glomp: ). it turns out bread is a lot of fun to make, and also the ingredients are dirt cheap and it enhances every meal you eat

The X-man cometh
How do you get big puffy bread? I make super-hydrated dough and it still comes out pretty normal.

joke_explainer

The X-man cometh posted:

How do you get big puffy bread? I make super-hydrated dough and it still comes out pretty normal.

what kind of preferment are you doing? It takes 12-14 hours to really volumize a preferment. Also over-handling the dough after it's proofed can deflate a lot of those stored gases ending up with a much denser product... Go through your bread making steps and I bet someone here can help!

poverty goat

maybe your yeast are underachievers

The X-man cometh
No preferment, but I don't think I've been leaving it long enough. Does a poolish make that big of a difference?

joke_explainer

The X-man cometh posted:

No preferment, but I don't think I've been leaving it long enough. Does a poolish make that big of a difference?

Volume is all in your fermentation, either pre or bulk. I've found a polish or biga drastically changes the end result. The 80% biga bread out of ken forkish's book is a great example of what they can do. So yeah if you aren't working off a recipe make a journal and adjust the times!

poverty goat

poolish enhances the flavor and texture and shelf life of your bread anyway

i got the tartine bread book for xmas and im attempting my first naturally leavened bread today :toot:

joke_explainer

Exciting. I hope you give us photos of the process.

I tried to make my own levain culture a few months ago but just ended up wasting a lot of flour. It actually looked quite alive on the fourth day, but the directions for that day were to discard all but 100 grams in the dough tub, and after that it never recovered.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

I was going to post a bunch of pictures of me cooking for Christmas, but I was grinding so much that day I took not a single one. Everything I made came out nice though.

Put out at the appetizer table of stuff I made?
White bean dip with roasted garlic
Clams steamed with white wine and garlic
Bruschetta

Dinner?
Osso Buco (braised veal shank)
Potato pancakes
Braised broccoli rabe
Sautéed asparagus
Roasted red pepper salad

Just imagine I took a million impressive pictures.

The X-man cometh
I made a pizza last night using the oven at 500° with cast iron pans in the oven to capture the heat. It came out fantastic, but it works even better when I let the dough rise overnight.

poverty goat

there are no pics of the process because its bread, my hands were way too messy at the time to be touching my phone. I don't have the dutch oven yet so I just did it on the tiles like I've been doing so I can compare and :wow: this is the best bread I've ever made

i had a little sticking after proofing so they're not the roundest boules but

im thinking filthy sexual things about this bread right now

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 29, 2015

poverty goat

i was going to have a sandwich and soup after the bread came out bjut i just ate almost half a loaf of bread with butter and im stuffed

FutonForensic

this thread convinced me to try making my own pizzas. even when my first pizza got stuck to the peel and ended up looking like a Cronenberg Margherita, it was still the best crust i had ever tasted. thx thread

advice for other newcomers: flour is not a replacement for cornmeal when dusting your peel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

That's loving insanely good for your first try. That crumb. That volume. And you aren't even using a dutch oven. Holy poo poo.