Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HGH
Dec 20, 2011
YOU DANDY gently caress
The Men's Hair Club is pretty great, particularly their music.

There's so many dumb little details crammed everywhere that I like. The completely random Mario and Luigi by the stripper, the guy on top of the car flipping you off as it speeds off, the guy by the barrel bros getting really pissed after he finds out there was nothing but a chicken at the top of the hill. And poor Widdly's fate.
Speaking of barrel bros, them and other overworld enemies are weird. If you beat them, you can still move around while the game is despawning their sprite/fading to black, which can get confusing if you're holding a button after you win and find yourself teleported a couple steps ahead.

Crack Ripper's gang is really rough. It's one of the rare ambushes in the game that really feels like such a severe disadvantage. Sure the guy on the far left doesn't do much but the other four compensate with so much damage and stuns, it's kinda crazy there's not much fights like that.
Also I really like their music. It's called Steel Mill, which is appropriate given the main beat sound like someone hitting metal. Still, it's such an odd style, I'm not even sure what'd I'd classify it as.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Men's Hair Club is one of my favorite tracks in the game, definitely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjFr_vW8kwc

Well if you enjoyed that episode, the next will probably blow you away. Should be out in a few days.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So people who have played this game, how different is this run from an average first time run of the game so far?

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
I'm going to regret bringing this up, but the two guys wearing red and green hats who were watching the dude in the red thong shake his moneymaker remind me of Mario and Luigi. Red Hat's monologue even sounds like the most hateful, no good, mean cynical take on Mario's deal with Peach, too.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

He hasn't fallen off nearly enough ledges for a true first-timer's experience. And most people tend to grind on the snakes and the shadow guys, but other than that, yeah, not too far off.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So people who have played this game, how different is this run from an average first time run of the game so far?
Not really different. Like Kaboom said, there's not nearly enough ledge falling off that makes you need to redo entire segments! That's about all.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I liked the fact you could hear W2D's music on the next screen.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

My first playthrough is considerably ahead of the LP at this point but I did have the advantage of the first 3 videos to get me started. Knowing about those Diesel Firebombs is actually pretty huge, since it gives you a way to take out Crack Ripper's gang while keeping enough of the regular kind for the hair club.

What I've found is that if you're as prone to getting lost and retreading your path as I am, you'll likely find enough goods and party members to keep you going. You can also reload your last save if you make a bad call and try something else, but my frequent saving blew up in my face in one major way which I'll leave unspoiled until voiceofdog covers it. Game mostly gets easier from this point imo, and you can make it easier still if you're willing to be a coldhearted son-of-a-bitch. Lotta party members in this game... human life is cheap, man.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You missed a little detail. If the check the corpse with the spiked club in it there's a note or something that says "son of Mad Dog."

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Honestly, with how much the enemies in this game dump damage on you, it seems like you ought to be leading with status effects every fight. Not the sort of game where you want to be damage racing people, since healing is such a risky prospect.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Genocyber posted:

You missed a little detail. If the check the corpse with the spiked club in it there's a note or something that says "son of Mad Dog."

The corpse has a "M.D. Jr." tattoo.

Also, here's what a few of the status ailments do.

STINKY increases your evasion by 10%. It doesn't affect who gets targeted.
CRYING decreases your damage (not accuracy) by 50%.
WEIRD decreases attack by 20% and defense by 30%.
DEPRESSION decreases attack by 20%, defense by 70%, and agility by 30%.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I think the hair is some bizarre necromancy demon summed whenever the hair club unites, i mean hair is just dead cells right? Just get some animal fat(who's using jell in this apocalypse) and a couple of friends with manes and bam, powers of a necromancy hair devil is growing out of your scalp.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Well, now we know why everybody was saying that the girl that the Men's Hair Club had captured was really ugly.

Still, :gonk:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This world is populated by morons.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

TKMobile posted:

I'm going to regret bringing this up, but the two guys wearing red and green hats who were watching the dude in the red thong shake his moneymaker remind me of Mario and Luigi. Red Hat's monologue even sounds like the most hateful, no good, mean cynical take on Mario's deal with Peach, too.

Luigi loving hates his life, and everyone hates Luigi.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's not just a "Children of Men" type scenario here, either, it's like Olathe is home to only the stupidest, most toxic forms of masculinity. Vern couldn't stop verbally dumping on his wife even as he kept saying he missed her.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Speedball posted:

It's not just a "Children of Men" type scenario here, either, it's like Olathe is home to only the stupidest, most toxic forms of masculinity. Vern couldn't stop verbally dumping on his wife even as he kept saying he missed her.

Well, the trailer for the game flat-out states that the world is populated by perverts and dipshits, it's not trying to hide anything.....

So what's your point?

mauman fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 7, 2015

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

A solid observation. :v: Also not everyone watches trailers.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
That was the perfect ending to the video by the way.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
You gotta love Nern Guan. Throughout every battle he just sits back on his little stool and chats with his fellow gang members about their techniques, and occasionally takes a potshot with his revolver if he feels like it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I love everything about Scott Lawson

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Blastinus posted:

Honestly, with how much the enemies in this game dump damage on you, it seems like you ought to be leading with status effects every fight. Not the sort of game where you want to be damage racing people, since healing is such a risky prospect.

The gang that jumps you and tries to take your mags is absolutely showing you the hard way how you should play the game: lay on as many status effects as you can, prioritizing effects that stop them from acting and then ones that severely hinder their damage/defense.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
So the guy that Brad tried to buy drugs from in the flashback was actually the huge twisted mutant we fought?
gently caress, we should probably stop doing drugs then.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Roro posted:

So the guy that Brad tried to buy drugs from in the flashback was actually the huge twisted mutant we fought?

No it was Sticky, one of our friends/buddy's uncles.

Start game, keep Terry lose stuff, refuse to use Joy, save scum camping until you get to the schoolboy inn, replace Terry and never use him again, get fire bombs but not diesel, use all/most fire bombs on mutants, fall off several cliffs and miss some hidden loot, get to the Ripper fight, lose the Ripper fight, get to the Ripper fight again and use what fire bombs you have left, lose again, use all your mags before saying no to fighting, the game sees what you did so you fight and lose again, fine have the loving mags, kill every barrel man for xp, nervously twitch and hover over fire bombs in every boss fight from now on because Ripper ripped ya, fall off some more cliffs and do everything you just did over again.

Sound about right?

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 8, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Roro posted:

Second option: Do as many drugs as we can and build up an immunity to becoming a mutant

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
I can't say I'm a big fan of Fardy's entire character. I understand the game's tone, but I'm still uncomfortable about how he's presented. I don't know.

Also: Steel Blackman? More like Steve.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Waffleman_ posted:

Second option: Do as many drugs as we can and BECOME THE BEST drat MUTANT IN THE WASTELAND

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Baron La Croix posted:

I can't say I'm a big fan of Fardy's entire character. I understand the game's tone, but I'm still uncomfortable about how he's presented

That's probably the point/

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
This entire game is about making you uncomfortable. Why should Fardy be an exception?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Fat and Useless posted:

Start game, keep Terry lose stuff, refuse to use Joy, save scum camping until you get to the schoolboy inn, replace Terry and never use him again, get fire bombs but not diesel, use all/most fire bombs on mutants, fall off several cliffs and miss some hidden loot, get to the Ripper fight, lose the Ripper fight, get to the Ripper fight again and use what fire bombs you have left, lose again, use all your mags before saying no to fighting, the game sees what you did so you fight and lose again, fine have the loving mags, kill every barrel man for xp, nervously twitch and hover over fire bombs in every boss fight from now on because Ripper ripped ya, fall off some more cliffs and do everything you just did over again.

Sound about right?

Another option is to spend all your mags and then talk to Ripper, but he calls you on that and beats the poo poo out of you.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Burned through this lp yesterday, in the midst of the hangover to end all hangovers, pausing occasionally to heave into a bucket. I was able to keep water down after watching all 5 videos. Seems appropriate.

Thanks LISA. Thanks thevoiceofdog.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Another option is to spend all your mags and then talk to Ripper, but he calls you on that and beats the poo poo out of you.

Already in there!

Fat and Useless posted:

use all your mags before saying no to fighting, the game sees what you did so you fight and lose again

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Fat and Useless posted:

No it was Sticky, one of our friends/buddy's uncles.

Really? I thought they played the mutant's call in the background as a hint, but I'm probably just building bridges with no foundations.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Roro posted:

Really? I thought they played the mutant's call in the background as a hint, but I'm probably just building bridges with no foundations.

Mutants have a call? poo poo, I need to pay more attention.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Roro posted:

Charmy is just some poor fucker in the old playground.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Roro posted:

Mutant call? You mean that slow "uurgh" that plays sometimes? That's Brad going into Withdrawal. That can happen even in cutscenes.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

Already in there!

Hah, didn't catch that. Thanks :)

I went and finished the Painful, so I can't dabble in any speculation anymore, but I'll still be following this LP. VoD is doing a great job; his videos are really entertaining.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Why are Buddy's uncles all wearing shirts that are too small?

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Speedball posted:

Because when women went away they took all the shirts with them. It sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Speedball posted:

Watch the videos again. LISA is one extended symphony of nipples.

• Locked thread