Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

Thank you for smoking covers this pretty well.

Its also a fairly genius movie. Even more genius when you realize that the movie isn't actually about smoking at all, and NOBODY IN THE FILM IS EVER ACTUALLY SHOWN SMOKING. :psyboom: Its one of those things that you have to go back and watch the film again because it doesn't seem true.

What is it about then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

200 packs a year per capita :pwn:

Wow. :eyepop:

Jastiger posted:

What is it about then?

Lobbyists, Marketing, Government, Human Psychology, Propaganda, the nature of truth, etc.

Whats key is that the government regulators fighting smoking are the "villains" while the protagonist is a lobbyist.

He's almost killed by nicotine, but then his smoking saves his life. The whole film is a wash that pretty much says "think for yourself".

The film's original ending had his son start smoking and he smacks the pack out of his hands, which would have been hypocritical and defeated the whole message. Luckily they changed it to the more ambiguous ending. Its not about smoking being good OR bad.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 22:12 on Nov 6, 2015

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jastiger posted:

What is it about then?

Mercenary persuasion

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That is the message I got, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't reading too much into what you're saying, haha.

Its such a good movie and should be required viewing for all 9th graders.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

"Three packs a day" has never, ever been hyperbole. Even now some people still smoke like chimneys.

Yes I am well aware that that is 60 cigarettes a day.

Jesus even back when I smoked regularly I never could do more than 4 cigs a day. Most days was just 2 cigs a day

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

"Three packs a day" has never, ever been hyperbole. Even now some people still smoke like chimneys.

Yes I am well aware that that is 60 cigarettes a day.

If this were a year ago I'd call BS on this, but there's a guy I work with now that seemingly goes on a smoke break every 20 minutes or so. It's gotten to the point that his manager told him to either quit it with so many smoke breaks or they'd count toward the time he gets for lunch. He opted to not have a lunch hour so he didn't have to sacrifice is smoke breaks.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

Our whole culture of smoking is probably related to the World Wars. I only found one chart with data before the 1940's, so I can't attest to its accuracy, but cigarettes were handed out for free to millions of servicemen and per capital consumption increased fourfold up until after the Vietnam war.

War is the biggest, most effective tobacco aid ever.

It's also kind of interesting how cutting cigarette prices in the 1990's slowed the decline for about 5 years.
Pricing in Aus is a huge thing too.
$13+ for a 20 pack of Bond Street (The cheapest cheapo brand in the store)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Joey Freshwater posted:

If this were a year ago I'd call BS on this, but there's a guy I work with now that seemingly goes on a smoke break every 20 minutes or so. It's gotten to the point that his manager told him to either quit it with so many smoke breaks or they'd count toward the time he gets for lunch. He opted to not have a lunch hour so he didn't have to sacrifice is smoke breaks.

The thing to really remember is that there was a time when nobody gave a crap where you smoked. Indoors, outdoors, on the train, in the office, nobody gave a single poo poo in many, many places. It used to be easy to just chain smoke all day, every day no matter where you were. If you're awake for 16 hours in a day that's 3.75 cigarettes per hour on average if you smoked 60. Which is an insane thing to actually do but far from impossible.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The thing to really remember is that there was a time when nobody gave a crap where you smoked. Indoors, outdoors, on the train, in the office, nobody gave a single poo poo in many, many places. It used to be easy to just chain smoke all day, every day no matter where you were. If you're awake for 16 hours in a day that's 3.75 cigarettes per hour on average if you smoked 60. Which is an insane thing to actually do but far from impossible.

And who needs 8 hours of sleep when you're on a cigs & coffee diet :q:

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Here is Australian supermarket Woolworths latest effort:

https://youtu.be/sbqSvxi2weA

Woolworths have already pulled it from their website.

Edit: Found better video

princecoo has a new favorite as of 01:36 on Nov 7, 2015

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

princecoo posted:

https://youtu.be/zySKAR0phJs

"Trying to save money and grow fresher ingredients at the same time? What are you, retarded?"

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
To quote a youtuber:

Neith posted:

Lmao. What the gently caress. "Eat this frozen microwave meal because it's totally more healthy than when you grow your own vegetables."

For the non-Australians, Woolworths big "thing" is being "the fresh food people" with a focus on fresh produce and bread baked in-store.

princecoo has a new favorite as of 01:50 on Nov 7, 2015

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

princecoo posted:

https://youtu.be/sbqSvxi2weA

Edit: Found better video

Oh, Woolworths, in your mad rush to raise the stock price at any cost in order to get bonuses for your executives, you must have fired anyone with any awareness of the outside world. (Such as: People don't like being insulted.)

They should hire this guy to make adverts for them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5YRZgo3W28

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
All the Coles (the competing supermarket chain with Woolworths; usually more expensive but has more "'premium'" goods) around here had bakeries in them before the Woolworths did.

The closest Woolworths to me is in a suburb that's mainly populated by retirees and university students, but is right off a main road between the CBD and most of the residential areas to the west, making it a spot a lot of people drop in to get a bottle of milk or a loaf of bread on the way home. The prices on EVERYTHING at that shop are usually 50c dearer than the next closest shop. And the variety of different things is :mediocre:, along with the quality of the fresh food.
That said that next closest Woolies to me is one of the nicest supermarkets I've seen so ymmv :v:

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
The differing prices between Woolworths stores reminds me of how a couple years ago, Woolworths did a big campaign in which they pushed how their prices were uniform across Australia, no matter where you were you'd be paying the same as someone elsewhere. They did this because people noticed that for example, a bottle of milk on the Gold Coast was $2.50 and $3.50 a few suburbs south. Never mind the huge price differences in regional areas or mining communities.

The big campaign lasted all of maybe three days, since anyone with any brains could see they had actually barely done anything at all. A Current Affair busted the whole sham wide open on the second night, and the whole thing was dropped the next day.

They sank millions in TV adverts and radio ads, as well as upper management doing phone interviews about how it was so great etc.

Guys, every single person in the country has a smart phone, with a camera and the internet. It took all of 2 seconds to realise the prices hadn't changed.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
During both World Wars, cigarette companies made sure that packs of cigarettes were sent to troops fighting in the red cross care packages. Millions of young men gained the habit because war is long periods of boredom that is interrupted by moments of terror, and smoking passed the time. Old tobacco ads are crazy. If you've watched Mad Men, you know that Lucky Strike, once the most popular cigarette brand, was one of their major clients and a lot revolved around them in the early seasons. There's a scene where Don asks the head of the company about the process their made and he catches that at one point in the processes the tobacco is toasted, and Don says "That's the slogan!", even though that's how tobacco is refined for cigarettes by everyone. That was a real Lucky Strike slogan, just about 25 years earlier than Mad Men portrayed it as. It was meaningless but it worked.

The insane thing they did was try to make smoking healthy. There were tons of ads about how cigarettes give you energy, and help with digestion. They didn't get your wind or cause scratchy throat. Ladies worried about your weight? Smoke! It's better than having chocolate. These would be endorsed by doctors, but those doctors were paid off with money and smokes.

It's funny about Camel, with Joe Camel being the marketing gimmick that is best remembered. Camel came about because after WW1, Turkish tobacco, which is said to be the best in the world, was unpopular because Americans get really racist when you go to war with them, but the quality was still recognized by smokers. So they came up with Camel because it sounded Turkish but had American tobacco in it. The great line "I'd walk a mile for a Camel" was everywhere after one of their execs said it after he ran out of cigarettes on a golf course.

Celebs were used to promote all kinds of cigarette brands, and the majority of them died from diseases that are directly caused by smoking. Even after links between smoking and cancer and other diseases became widely know, people kept going because its addictive.

Some celebs that died from smoking includeing Humphry Bogard, Lucille Ball, Yul Brenner, Johnny Carson, Nat King Cole, Walt Disney, George Harrison, Robert Mitchem, basically every King of England since Victoria, and of course John Wayne. Though people today claim that because the Conqueror (a terrible Hughes movie about Genghis Khan) was shot in the desert near nuclear test sites, that it caused his cancer and not smoking, therefor smoking doesn't cause cancer. Though an actual study of everyone who worked on the film finds cancer rates among the cast and crew to be in the numbers that one would expect for adults of that time. Another celebrity that died from smoking was Arthur Godfrey. He was a radio personality, and also straight up hypeman for smoking. He would proudly say how he smoked up to 6 packs a day, and told his listeners "Smoke 'em by the carton!".

Smoking is the best example of capitalism I can think of; its addictive, so you spend money on it perpetually, but it kills you in the end.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

twistedmentat posted:

Another celebrity that died from smoking was Arthur Godfrey. He was a radio personality, and also straight up hypeman for smoking. He would proudly say how he smoked up to 6 packs a day, and told his listeners "Smoke 'em by the carton!".

He also quit smoking 5 years before he was diagnosed with lung cancer, and became an anti-smoking spokesman. His previous sponsorship of Chesterfield cigarettes must have weighed on him heavily.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

twistedmentat posted:

Though people today claim that because the Conqueror (a terrible Hughes movie about Genghis Khan) was shot in the desert near nuclear test sites, that it caused his cancer and not smoking, therefor smoking doesn't cause cancer. Though an actual study of everyone who worked on the film finds cancer rates among the cast and crew to be in the numbers that one would expect for adults of that time.

That's not true, actually. Of 220 cast and crew, 91 had contracted cancer by 1980. By *today*, in a population that size, you'd expect that many cancers, but back in 1980 you'd have expected only about a third that many; the only way you'd have the numbers be what you'd expect is if nobody in that group got cancer between 1980 and today. Moreover, it wasn't just the cast and crew of the film; the town of St. George where the filming took place also had cancer rates well in excess of the norm. In addition, *types* of cancer matter; smoking's a big contributor to lung cancer risk, but a lot of these cancers were leukemias and lymphomas. Time frame also matters; radiation-induced leukemia is going to tend to show up much faster than lung cancer from smoking. The bulk of the evidence is that the cast and crew of that film (and the population of St. George) were a real no-poo poo cancer cluster and that the above-ground testing was the culprit.

But while we're on the smoking thing, let's not forget the entertainment value of the mid-80s "Rock Against Drugs" campaign. It's RAD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qejdqmKsEco

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

twistedmentat posted:

During both World Wars, cigarette companies made sure that packs of cigarettes were sent to troops fighting in the red cross care packages. Millions of young men gained the habit because war is long periods of boredom that is interrupted by moments of terror, and smoking passed the time. Old tobacco ads are crazy. If you've watched Mad Men, you know that Lucky Strike, once the most popular cigarette brand, was one of their major clients and a lot revolved around them in the early seasons. There's a scene where Don asks the head of the company about the process their made and he catches that at one point in the processes the tobacco is toasted, and Don says "That's the slogan!", even though that's how tobacco is refined for cigarettes by everyone. That was a real Lucky Strike slogan, just about 25 years earlier than Mad Men portrayed it as. It was meaningless but it worked.

The insane thing they did was try to make smoking healthy. There were tons of ads about how cigarettes give you energy, and help with digestion. They didn't get your wind or cause scratchy throat. Ladies worried about your weight? Smoke! It's better than having chocolate. These would be endorsed by doctors, but those doctors were paid off with money and smokes.

It's funny about Camel, with Joe Camel being the marketing gimmick that is best remembered. Camel came about because after WW1, Turkish tobacco, which is said to be the best in the world, was unpopular because Americans get really racist when you go to war with them, but the quality was still recognized by smokers. So they came up with Camel because it sounded Turkish but had American tobacco in it. The great line "I'd walk a mile for a Camel" was everywhere after one of their execs said it after he ran out of cigarettes on a golf course.

Celebs were used to promote all kinds of cigarette brands, and the majority of them died from diseases that are directly caused by smoking. Even after links between smoking and cancer and other diseases became widely know, people kept going because its addictive.

Some celebs that died from smoking includeing Humphry Bogard, Lucille Ball, Yul Brenner, Johnny Carson, Nat King Cole, Walt Disney, George Harrison, Robert Mitchem, basically every King of England since Victoria, and of course John Wayne. Though people today claim that because the Conqueror (a terrible Hughes movie about Genghis Khan) was shot in the desert near nuclear test sites, that it caused his cancer and not smoking, therefor smoking doesn't cause cancer. Though an actual study of everyone who worked on the film finds cancer rates among the cast and crew to be in the numbers that one would expect for adults of that time. Another celebrity that died from smoking was Arthur Godfrey. He was a radio personality, and also straight up hypeman for smoking. He would proudly say how he smoked up to 6 packs a day, and told his listeners "Smoke 'em by the carton!".

Smoking is the best example of capitalism I can think of; its addictive, so you spend money on it perpetually, but it kills you in the end.

Still creepy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxgaAn6IR9E

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I feel like this has to be posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Va4ttt7QRc

"I even forget to eat! You don't forget to smoke though."

Phanatic posted:

But while we're on the smoking thing, let's not forget the entertainment value of the mid-80s "Rock Against Drugs" campaign. It's RAD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qejdqmKsEco

Hahahahahaha Paul Stanley saying he doesn't do drugs. Dude you were in KISS.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 20:32 on Nov 7, 2015

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

The great line "I'd walk a mile for a Camel" was everywhere after one of their execs said it after he ran out of cigarettes on a golf course.

This may not sound very impressive today, but with how much everybody smoked back then, that would've been quite the feat.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I think Rod Serling died of smoking-related heart disease at a relatively young age. Too bad, his diction really set the tone of Twilight Zone.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

JnnyThndrs posted:

I think Rod Serling died of smoking-related heart disease at a relatively young age. Too bad, his diction really set the tone of Twilight Zone.

pretty much every moment of him on camera that's not him narrating Twilight Zone (and some of his Night Gallery narration) he's got a cig in his hand. It's distressing.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There was a game shop that opened in England about 2 years ago called "Grainger Games". Let's just say their PR could have used a little work:

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2011/10/how-an-unknown-games-retailer-committed-suicide-at-a-gaming-awards-event/

They still survived a a shop somehow. I bought a few games there myself :P

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I feel like this has to be posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Va4ttt7QRc

"I even forget to eat! You don't forget to smoke though."
Amazingly catchy and addictive. I want to listen to this on my lunch break.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

It's loving :psyduck: how nicotine can be bought cheaply off supermarket shelves (here in Australia), but you don't hear about people getting addicted to/dying from nicotine gum the way people die from smoking tobacco.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

wayne curr posted:

It's loving :psyduck: how nicotine can be bought cheaply off supermarket shelves (here in Australia), but you don't hear about people getting addicted to/dying from nicotine gum the way people die from smoking tobacco.

As I understand it Nicotine is largely not damaging (Just very very addictive) it's all the toxins and poo poo in cigarettes. Including you know, swallowing smoke.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

wayne curr posted:

Maybe I'm just a gullible moron, but I was under the impression nicotine gum was intended to satisfy nicotine addiction without all the other crap in cigarettes that actually kills you so you can wean off slower than going cold turkey without continuing to kill yourself.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

wayne curr posted:

It isn't the nicotine that kills smokers, it's the, uh, smoke. Nicotine has nasty cardiovascular effects, but they're not much compared to the tar and combustion products.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

There was a game shop that opened in England about 2 years ago called "Grainger Games". Let's just say their PR could have used a little work:

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2011/10/how-an-unknown-games-retailer-committed-suicide-at-a-gaming-awards-event/

What the gently caress-

I know that gaming awards are universally terrible but this is insane. Dwarves, condoms and toilet coke !

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BioEnchanted posted:

quote:

The awards were given out by the dwarves. Speeches were uncharacteristically short
:unsmigghh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ArcMage posted:

It isn't the nicotine that kills smokers, it's the, uh, smoke. Nicotine has nasty cardiovascular effects, but they're not much compared to the tar and combustion products.

Hence the theory that e-cigs are better for you and lots of people moving to those.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

AlphaKretin posted:

Maybe I'm just a gullible moron, but I was under the impression nicotine gum was intended to satisfy nicotine addiction without all the other crap in cigarettes that actually kills you so you can wean off slower than going cold turkey without continuing to kill yourself.

It's just weird how it's the same drat drug, that has the same effects. But instead of chewing it as gum, everyone smokes it and has to deal with stinking everywhere up and ash/butts and stained fingers/teeth.
I guess inhaling the carbon monoxide burning tabacco gives off also produces a bit of an extra high?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

wayne curr posted:

It's just weird how it's the same drat drug, that has the same effects. But instead of chewing it as gum, everyone smokes it and has to deal with stinking everywhere up and ash/butts and stained fingers/teeth.
I guess inhaling the carbon monoxide burning tabacco gives off also produces a bit of an extra high?

How else am I supposed to look cool?

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Crow Jane posted:

Sex ed in Maryland was fine, very thorough. We got an absolutely grotesque slide show of terrible STIs from a Board of Health lady, but beyond that it was just our out and proud teacher giving practical, helpful information.

That slide show kicked rear end, remember the picture where it looked like the dude's dick turned into charcoal or half-cooled lava or something :black101:

It was like the Pain Series became standard high school curriculum

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Zaphod42 posted:

Hence the theory that e-cigs are better for you and lots of people moving to those.

Yeah, they're definitely less bad than cigarettes, and more importantly they don't leave giant clouds of smoke for me to choke on. We'll have to wait and see what nasty effects inhaling vaporized antifreeze have, or something, though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Aren't those mostly just oils and poo poo with a little bit of nicotine in? When people talk about their homebrew vape cartridges, they certainly don't include antifreeze in the recipe.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

:poland: :poland: :poland:

The White Dragon posted:

Aren't those mostly just oils and poo poo with a little bit of nicotine in? When people talk about their homebrew vape cartridges, they certainly don't include antifreeze in the recipe.

A mixture of propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin. PG is apparently used in environmentally safe antifreeze as well as a bunch of food processing

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

The White Dragon posted:

All the references to "antifreeze" are talking about one of the main ingredients in vape juice, propylene glycol. Propylene glycol is used as a food additive, it's what makes most stage smoke machines emit 'smoke', and it -is- used as a type of industrial antifreeze when non-toxicity is a requirement.

However, people get all confused and think it's ethylene glycol, which is the primary ingredient in car antifreeze, as well as being deadly poison. The big advantage of ethylene glycol over its non-toxic cousin, is that it doesn't evaporate much, so it's good for tens of thousands of miles without attention.

<edit> beaten like a rented mule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Everything about this blows my mind, but specifically the segment for Marketing Whitepapers has almost rolled my eyes from their sockets.

I absolutely do not understand who this is aimed at, given the smug bullshit approach it's dripping in. If this is how marketers sell to their own, nobody should be surprised they can't sell to anybody else either.

https://m.soundcloud.com/adobemarketingcloud

When I am king, marketers are second against the wall.