Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I think guy a person is a real dumberto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cloks posted:

I think guy a person is a real dumberto

aces

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Guy A. Person posted:

If you guys were pros you'd use umberto in a pun

um, berto I don't want to

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

I'll let you know if there's any historical fiction novels that talks about the first people using umberto make brown paint.

... I tried

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I would have thought given the thread title that the choice of Humberto puns was fairly obvious.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
:s=[rdr

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Edit: cool phone accident post

Besson fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 4, 2015

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I'm not sure if it counts as ~Literature~ but I just finished reading Leonardo Sciascia's book on the abduction and murder of Aldo Moro and it was an intensely good and eye opening read

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Guy A. Person posted:

A pun derail. Oh, boy.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

puns are the glue that binds us as a society together. made from beating the finest thoroughbred horses.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Popular Human posted:

A pun derail. Oh, boy.

No, if the thread's been derailed, it's no longer a pun the tracks.

I'm reading The Moonstone, it's not bad. The narrators are great fun.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Idk if it's that I read Ulysses a while ago so can't remember a lot of the really good bits that blew me away but having almost finished it Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man seems to me to be the superior Joyce. It's just the best.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Should I read Kokoro or Life and Fate next? You have to pick one.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Kokoro

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

maldoror bored me so im reading zorastrian hymns instead.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

both books have the translators slamming other peoples translations so at least i have some continuity going on

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Totoro

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Anyone read any Conrad Richter? I think you all should read some Conrad Richter as the man writers beautifully and with a great deal of care in regards to how he constructs people who lived 150 years before he was born. The "Awakened Land" trilogy is quite nice in that it features a female protagonist, depictions of natives that aren't steeped in noble savage trappings or blood rape orgies ala Cormac McCarthy, and a very different perspective on how America's westward expansion unfolded.

TNG fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 7, 2015

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

You really didn't get the point of blood meridian did you?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Stravinsky posted:

All I remember about Blood meridian is that the big judge dude took such a sloppy poo poo in the outhouse at the end that it grossed everyone out

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Stravinsky posted:

No I did, it's just that I don't care for Cormac McCarthy and I and a lot of other people from the Southwest wish he would go gently caress off back to Rhode Island and stop saying and writing dumb things about the area, its people, the purpose of literature, and how men were men and ladies were ladies in the olllll west and hiding it behind an affected biblical or psuedo Melvillean prose.

Remunerations on the "inherent violence" of man aside, New Mexico and the Southwest in general have had enough of white men coming in and telling it how it is in regards to native and Hispanic people in their lovely cowboy stories.

TNG fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 7, 2015

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

TNG posted:

No I did, it's just that I don't care for Cormac McCarthy and I and a lot of other people from the Southwest wish he would go gently caress off back to Rhode Island

I don't

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Okay, he could gently caress off back to Tennessee. Either way, his half baked horse worship, stoic cowboys, ladies who "liked to watch a man eat", mythologizing of a past that never existed, and either foolish natives who need to be taught a lesson about the white man's diplomacy or the Woodland Christmas Critters can all go back there as well. "I ended up in the Southwest because no one else had ever written about it", please. Go write about the "Morality of Blood" and "Sacred Violence" and other impressive to nerds goofiness elsewhere old man.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

TNG posted:

No I did, it's just that I don't care for Cormac McCarthy and I and a lot of other people from the Southwest wish he would go gently caress off back to Rhode Island and stop saying and writing dumb things about the area, its people, the purpose of literature, and how men were men and ladies were ladies in the olllll west and hiding it behind an affected biblical or psuedo Melvillean prose.

Remunerations on the "inherent violence" of man aside, New Mexico and the Southwest in general have had enough of white men coming in and telling it how it is in regards to native and Hispanic people in their lovely cowboy stories.
urrrrrrrrrrrrr. buuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrr??? uuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I understood it too boy that Corman McCarthy sure does love cowboys I bet he voted for Reagan

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Jesus Christ.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Either way, read some Conrad Richter. He's really good, and I very rarely see him discussed anywhere.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
As per the recommendation of earlier in the thread, I also just finished The Testament of Gideon Mack and really enjoyed it. The unreliable narrator is an interesting conceit in a lot of fiction, and I found that Gideon Mack's treatment of it and how it relates to this ostensibly personal account of this man's life and experiences and what he chose to include or not include or emphasize or de-emphasize and what that says about his character to be really illuminating and leaving me with a lot of other really fascinating questions. I read a lot of "Creative Non-Fiction" and it's interesting how that makes certain claims about being realer than fiction even though an author is making choices on what to include or leave out. Gideon Mack is an interesting bridge between the two, plus it's a nice reference to another great piece of Scottish Literature.

I ordered And the Land Lay Still immediately after it.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

TNG posted:

Okay, he could gently caress off back to Tennessee. Either way, his half baked horse worship, stoic cowboys, ladies who "liked to watch a man eat", mythologizing of a past that never existed, and either foolish natives who need to be taught a lesson about the white man's diplomacy or the Woodland Christmas Critters can all go back there as well. "I ended up in the Southwest because no one else had ever written about it", please. Go write about the "Morality of Blood" and "Sacred Violence" and other impressive to nerds goofiness elsewhere old man.

Okay, right, but hear me out: all of your opinions are bad

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
They say there is no wrong way to read but TNG is making a strong counterpoint

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Boy, this Cormac McCarthy guy sure is a staunch defender of white settlement of the west and traditional gender roles. He really clings to the romantic notion of the old west - a man who has quite possibly traveled through a portal from another dimension

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

In all seriousness though, TNG do you ever remember hearing that Nelson Mandela died in prison back in the 70s?

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
No, but I am saying that his books are full of old cowboy character cliches and his depictions of native and Hispanic people border on offensive with how one dimensional and loathsome they are. But go ahead and try to slam dunk me, I really don't care. I'm not going to convince you and you're not going to convince me. You read anything by James Robertson, I think he's pretty good and interesting and delivers characters with nuance and flair.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

one of the things I remember from Blood Meridian is that I don't really remember all that much about it, but I do recall that it didn't actually try to paint a romantic picture of the old west at all. rather that it was quite brutal and ruthless and not at all fun for anyone, least of all the afro-americans and native americans

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Mel Mudkiper posted:

They say there is no wrong way to read but TNG is making a strong counterpoint

a screaming comes across the old west. it has happened before, but i reckon there ain't nothing to compare it to now *spits into brass spittoon with a 'ping'*.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
does one put the period inside those dumbass emote asterisks, or outside, or do the emotes themselves entail a complete sentence and so do not require additional punctuation?

*farts.* vs. *farts*. vs. *farts*

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I use them like *farts*

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

TNG posted:

No, but I am saying that his books are full of old cowboy character cliches and his depictions of native and Hispanic people border on offensive with how one dimensional and loathsome they are.

I think you are being a little uncritical if you think his depictions of cowboy cliches are straightforward

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

TNG posted:

I don't care for it here anymore.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

And on this, our hundredth page, we claim our first victim