Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rogue
May 11, 2002

Rogue posted:

Hello friends, I'm going to stream some Fumbbl, I've never streamed on twitch so hopefully I don't gently caress it up.

First up is High Elves vs. Skaven. https://www.twitch.tv/jmadman311

Thank you everyone who stopped by to hang out! I hope you enjoyed my loving dead dinosaur, unfortunate that my opponent conceded despite it. I'll post a link again next time I stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Voyager I posted:

MB is scarier than Claw in that matchup but honestly if you get a ludicrous TV mismatch against murder chaos just concede, that game should never ever have happened.

In future I will concede. As it was my first live match I wasn't sure it was kosher to just hit the panic button. Also figured I had nothing to lose, might as well learn how badly things could go for future reference. His team of stone cold killers getting TWO kick off events allowing them an extra turn was just extra confirmation that Nuffle doesn't want me playing Brets. It was certainly educational.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Rogue posted:

Thank you everyone who stopped by to hang out! I hope you enjoyed my loving dead dinosaur

OPEN THE DOOR

GET ON THE FLOOR

EVERYONE KILL THE DINOSAUR

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Parkingtigers posted:

In future I will concede. As it was my first live match I wasn't sure it was kosher to just hit the panic button. Also figured I had nothing to lose, might as well learn how badly things could go for future reference. His team of stone cold killers getting TWO kick off events allowing them an extra turn was just extra confirmation that Nuffle doesn't want me playing Brets. It was certainly educational.

Concede whenever you want. Don't let e-honor keep you in a game.

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015
Dunno, what it is, but last few nights I've been playing up 400-600k TV every game in BB2. Dying playerbase already?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

KyloWinter posted:

Concede whenever you want. Don't let e-honor keep you in a game.

Oh yeah, next time I'm not going to waste time feeding a killer team like that. I tell you though, it was certainly a worthwhile experience in some ways. I knew I was going to get hosed, but the specifics of that needed to be seen. If I hadn't had to deal wirh two blitz kick off events I think I might have squeaked out a consolation TD at one point.

Can someone educate me on dauntless. I get the basic idea, that you can have a good chance of running up to a stronger dude and turning two red dice into a single white one. What are the more advanced uses of it though? Like, can I then get an assist on that one die block? And when is it a good/bad idea to be using dauntless. I've never really messed with this skill before and having 4 blitzers with it made me realise I need to fix that.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Parkingtigers posted:

What are the more advanced uses of it though? Like, can I then get an assist on that one die block? And when is it a good/bad idea to be using dauntless. I've never really messed with this skill before and having 4 blitzers with it made me realise I need to fix that.

Yes, always try to get an assist on a dauntless block to make it a 2dB.
I usually use it against Saurus, Black Orcs or Chaos Warriors (4str) with 1 assist, making it a 1dB on a failed dauntless roll and a 2dB on a success.
Sometimes you can try to go up to a Big Guy, but my Bret team usually tries to stay as far away from their Big Guys as possible. Fend really helps here. Whenever they have to Blitz on their Big guy to actually do something with it there is a good chance they won't do anything. Same without Blitz and bone head/wild animal.

Dauntless is not a perfect skill. I would take a +Str any day. But as you get the skill for free might as well use it.

PS : I have had much more success playing with only 3 Blitzers, 3 Blockers and 7 Peasants. You really need to keep your Team Value below 1500 as higher tiers will simply murder you. Your Peasants might have the same AV as Wood Elves, but only half the agility so they cannot break away from a fight.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Conversely, my bret team always goes up against big guys, because its hilarious watching a knight spark out a troll.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Parkingtigers posted:

Can someone educate me on dauntless. I get the basic idea, that you can have a good chance of running up to a stronger dude and turning two red dice into a single white one. What are the more advanced uses of it though? Like, can I then get an assist on that one die block? And when is it a good/bad idea to be using dauntless. I've never really messed with this skill before and having 4 blitzers with it made me realise I need to fix that.

The dauntless roll happens before assists are applied, so like the last guy said it's great on a guy 1st higher than you with an assist, so if you fail it's still a 1db.

The specific mechanic for dauntless is that when you try and block someone of a higher strength you roll 1d6. If the result of your roll added to your strength is GREATER THAN your opponents strength, you are treated as having equal strength for that one block. Note that this means if you have frenzy you have to roll dauntless twice. It also means you can punch guys 1st better than you on a 2+

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Alright, good stuffs, thanks for the info and clarifications.

Returned to the AI competition my orcs are in, got a nice 2-0 win against dwarfs. Might keep this orc team for training purposes and trophy hunting in AI leagues while I roll some actual MP teams. Had a lovely 2 turn touchdown thanks to my first ever use of throw teammate. Turn one, put goblin next to the troll. Turn two, have my thrower run up and hand off the ball to the gobbo, then the troll hoofs the crittter upfield, uses a reroll to stick the landing then a quick run into the endzone. I have a feeling I'd like to try doing this a lot more. Great animation for this move too.

Do serious players make good use out of throw teammate? Or is it seen as a dopey gimmick? I can see it having situational usage, but I'm wondering if anyone makes serious plans around this tactic. I can see it being a must for halflings, but that's a gimmick team anyway.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Parkingtigers posted:

Returned to the AI competition my orcs are in, got a nice 2-0 win against dwarfs. Might keep this orc team for training purposes and trophy hunting in AI leagues while I roll some actual MP teams. Had a lovely 2 turn touchdown thanks to my first ever use of throw teammate. Turn one, put goblin next to the troll. Turn two, have my thrower run up and hand off the ball to the gobbo, then the troll hoofs the crittter upfield, uses a reroll to stick the landing then a quick run into the endzone. I have a feeling I'd like to try doing this a lot more. Great animation for this move too.

Do serious players make good use out of throw teammate? Or is it seen as a dopey gimmick? I can see it having situational usage, but I'm wondering if anyone makes serious plans around this tactic. I can see it being a must for halflings, but that's a gimmick team anyway.

Not on a orc team.

Fling teams do! :v:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Parkingtigers posted:

Try hard orcs dont buy goblins or trolls. The troll is basically the worst TTM player in the entire game. Flings have the best TTM since the tree actually has a pretty decent chance to throw the fling. If you really want that rare one turn touchdown chance then buy the troll and goblin though. But its still a pretty low chance of working.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Iretep posted:

Try hard orcs dont buy goblins or trolls. The troll is basically the worst Best TTM player in the entire game. Flings have the best TTM since the tree actually has a pretty decent chance to throw the fling. If you really want that rare one turn touchdown chance then buy the troll and goblin though. But its still a pretty low chance of working.

Opinions may vary based on whether or not you find goblins getting eaten alive hilarious. That said trolls are a lot better on goblin teams, as the whole team is a liability so why not have a str 5 pair of them too?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Gobbo trolls are good and cool. Mutation access on Underworld Troll is also good as heck. Orc troll? Trash.

Rogue
May 11, 2002

Today's lesson: Safe Throw is not safe when you snake eye it.

Playing some FUMBBL!

https://www.twitch.tv/jmadman311

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!
Trolls are 110k for an ST5 roadblock with high armor and regen. It's not as bad as the tryhards will try (hard) to tell you.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Big guys seem to get frowned upon a fair bit in general. I'd probably always take one because I think they are both funny and look great, and I'll take that over a miniscule increase in team viability every time. Not sure if that means I'm playing the game wrong, or right, but Iove the big goofy bastards on all the teams.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

iSurrender posted:

Trolls are 110k for an ST5 roadblock with high armor and regen. It's not as bad as the tryhards will try (hard) to tell you.

It has loner and a negative trait. This makes any tryhard screech in terror.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

iSurrender posted:

The issue is that it's a roadblock that's really prone to getting stuck out of position or not having tackle zones and isn't that hard for most bashy teams to move if they truly must. Against Elfy teams he's liable to do literally nothing all game. In something like a short league where games weren't purely TV matched a Guard Troll would probably be worth having in a bash matchup, but the issue then is that you need to both buy a troll and get him to level 2 early enough for it to matter, and against Elves he's still basically worthless bloat since they can just walk away from him and were never going to try for a bash war.

There are better arguments for big guys on teams that don't normally get a lot of tough players with high strength and S access, like Humans.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Parkingtigers posted:

Big guys seem to get frowned upon a fair bit in general. I'd probably always take one because I think they are both funny and look great, and I'll take that over a miniscule increase in team viability every time. Not sure if that means I'm playing the game wrong, or right, but Iove the big goofy bastards on all the teams.

I've grown really fond of the treeman on my woodelves. Sure, he's the perfect antithesis to the rest of the team, but something about him just makes people see red. Several times now I've seen opponents commit four or five players just to take him down, only for him to just stand firm and pop back up again next turn so the whole thing starts over again. Meanwhile I'll just walk around the sides and hope they won't realise that they'd only need to mark him with one single sacrificial lineman to pretty much completely neutralise him.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah the thing about Orc trolls is less that they have negative traits (all big guys do) and more that they share the roster with 4 strength 4 guys who do not have negative traits

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Big guys in general just seem to be an open-league escalation of arms pickup. Like I've never once considered picking up the Chaos mino but I see them everywhere in open play. They're great at punching other big guys but that's about it

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Coolguye posted:

Yeah the thing about Orc trolls is less that they have negative traits (all big guys do) and more that they share the roster with 4 strength 4 guys who do not have negative traits

The other issue is that they have probably the worst negative trait (you need to dedicate another player to babysitting them to move) on top of not bringing anything new to the table in terms of skill access or doing much of anything out of the box. A 0 SPP Krox or Rogre are both much better roadblocks and on teams that have limited access to strong / not-stunty players. There's a whole lot of TV investment and liability for a player that's just going to do what most of your team can already do.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I played in yash86, 1 min turn bb2 tourney today. It was streamed on Twitch by him and jimmyfantastic. I made it to the final vs Jimmy after 4 sweaty games and then lost to his cheeky wizard. Still fun and I made 20 bucks yay!

Check Jimmyfantastics stream for the video and tell me how bad I was.. I think there was 200 specs for the final. 1 min turns where not my thing really since I have bad apm. I am coach mrlol in bb2. :)

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

GNU Order posted:

Big guys in general just seem to be an open-league escalation of arms pickup. Like I've never once considered picking up the Chaos mino but I see them everywhere in open play. They're great at punching other big guys but that's about it

Chaos Minotaur with tentacles is actually pretty good. Wild Animal doesn't negate the tackle zone so its pretty strong at tieing elves and skaven down.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

minos are probably the second most useful big guy though, since if you give them tentacles you can blitz them at any standard cage, and presuming they don't fall the gently caress over they're going to be a colossal pain in the rear end due to the high strength and tentacles. that said you can make much the same argument regarding a warrior since everyone's got mutation access on singles, it's essentially the same problem as orcs that it's hard to justify paying a bunch of TV for str 5 when you already have a ton of str 4 lying around

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My Krox has block, gently caress the haters.

E: Any touchbacks go to the krox. Take the ball now, shitlords :smug:

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Krox is the only good big guy, congrats on Block Krox

el Gonzo
Apr 14, 2006
My mino has block, pro, claws, and guard. Easily one of my best and most influential players every game.

Really dig big guys in general because other teams typically devote a lot of time to trying to get them off the pitch.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
My Mino rolled doubles twice too. I ;picked block on the first, and then went full hubris for the second roll and went Jump Up. Because gently caress it, why not? If he ever gets knocked down now it's 2+ 3+ to stand up and throw a block versus a 4+ to just stand up.

I'm not actually sure if 2+ 3+ is better odds than 4+, but gently caress it.Samba action Calculator says it is a 55% chance to pass a 2+ 3+. Which is lower than I would have liked, but I mostly discount the first 2+ anyway, cause if that wild animal fails, nothings happening either way. So anyway Jump Up mino is awesome, and it means I can stand him with out eating my blitz.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 9, 2015

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

el Gonzo posted:

Really dig big guys in general because other teams typically devote a lot of time to trying to get them off the pitch.

Yeah that's the general rookie mistake. More experienced coaches will mark him with an unskilled lineman and laugh as they neutralize 110k+ of TV while their actually important players go do things to and around the ball.

You really should have given him break tackle instead of pro because as it stands i am putting some scrub on your 'most influential' piece and locking him in place until your mino manages to remove him from the pitch, which statistically will take about 4 turns if I remember the odds right.

If you waste mans hanging around punching my scrub away it just makes me won that matchup even more so that's also a thing

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Yeah big guys are a huge disadvantage without block, once they get block they are only a big disadvantage.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

What is a Big Guy anyway? Or to be more precise, what makes the Undead mummies not Big Guys? It can't just be "not being poo poo".

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

TheMcD posted:

What is a Big Guy anyway? Or to be more precise, what makes the Undead mummies not Big Guys? It can't just be "not being poo poo".

The negatrait makes a big guy. If I had my druthers I'd remove all negatraits, especially on the ogre team, give them G access again, and maybe increase the TV. They were fine back in the day and they would be fine now...

Like how khemri used to be a decent team, but still not A rank, but now they are only good in niche leagues with too many bash teams.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah the difference between most big guys and normal players is that with normal players, there is there small subset of actions they can take that they cannot possibly screw up. Things like standing up, moving, etc.

There is literally nothing a big guy cannot gently caress up. You can minimize the chances depending on the big guy, but he will always, ALWAYS be capable of loving it up. In a game that already has so much at risk you need a rather large payoff for that risk to be worth it. And on some teams, esp skaven and goblins, that payoff exists. But for most teams it just doesn't make sense.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Coolguye posted:

Yeah the difference between most big guys and normal players is that with normal players, there is there small subset of actions they can take that they cannot possibly screw up. Things like standing up, moving, etc.

There is literally nothing a big guy cannot gently caress up. You can minimize the chances depending on the big guy, but he will always, ALWAYS be capable of loving it up. In a game that already has so much at risk you need a rather large payoff for that risk to be worth it. And on some teams, esp skaven and goblins, that payoff exists. But for most teams it just doesn't make sense.

Even on skaven that pay off is questionable in an open league as the rogre is a huge amount of tv when every increase in tv is another step closer to your team exploding into paste.
On the other hand it's a giant rat monster beating people repeatedly over a ball and should always be taken.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Just had an Ork vs Welf game, my troll loving shined. Gave him the touchback and just punched my way up the pitch. Managed to force him to get on punching terms with me and hit a TD right at the end of the first half to bring it to a 1/1.

Second half he tried baiting my line out so I just send out the troll and two black orks to beat on some of his guys and maintain my line. Eventually he gets too close and i force him into another brawl, taking the TD right at the last turn to bring it to a cool 2/1.

Good game whoever you were, that was tense.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Rogres are pretty great at low TV when you need muscle to leverage and your Stormvermin aren't quite up to par yet.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Well the problem with Orcs is that if you get outbashed you don't really have that many more options. So when I meet a team that is stronger than me the games usually become a huge struggle. Examples are Lizardmen with Kroxigor and Chaos with the Minotaur. Thats why I like to have a troll with guard in addition to my 4 black orcs with guard so there is very few teams that is stronger. The troll basically is there to give assists and he is always the last one to block, and in many turns there is no targets left for him to block when the rest of the team is done. I have tried running orc teams without the troll quite a few times, but getting outbashed as Orcs is really not something I enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Coolguye posted:

You really should have given him break tackle instead of pro because as it stands i am putting some scrub on your 'most influential' piece and locking him in place until your mino manages to remove him from the pitch, which statistically will take about 4 turns if I remember the odds right.

It's usually even harder than that. A big guy block is an inherently unsafe action and thus probably something you'll save until late in the turn, after every other important and potentially risky play you cared about making, and then there's always the chance that they'll just decide not to do anything that turn anyways, so you can't even assume you'll make it as far as throwing that block on any given turn.

It's even worse when a Wild Animal gets stuck out of position because even after they bash themselves free it's a 4+ just to walk back towards the game unless you waste your Blitz on it.

Hryme posted:

Well the problem with Orcs is that if you get outbashed you don't really have that many more options. So when I meet a team that is stronger than me the games usually become a huge struggle. Examples are Lizardmen with Kroxigor and Chaos with the Minotaur. Thats why I like to have a troll with guard in addition to my 4 black orcs with guard so there is very few teams that is stronger. The troll basically is there to give assists and he is always the last one to block, and in many turns there is no targets left for him to block when the rest of the team is done. I have tried running orc teams without the troll quite a few times, but getting outbashed as Orcs is really not something I enjoy.

Don't forget your Blitzers, giving you a total of 8 potential Guard / MB players with AV9 across the board. Until the claw kids come online there really aren't a lot of teams that want to get into a punch fight with Orcs.

• Locked thread