Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

They know they have to change in order to quell public demand for Uber in Vancouver, but they only want to change as little as they have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I like how a service that has been protected and reinforced by government for decades is now complaining that all the regulations hurt them.

"Oh, boo hoo, we can't lower our prices to be competitive. Oh, woe is us, we can't add more taxis to improve wait times..." Yeah, you're the ones who lobbied for those rules, so bite me.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

There's a lot of cab owners in Vancouver trying to sell right now while the price is still high. They probably think they can't keep Uber out forever.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Kafka Esq. posted:

I'm hoping for a 2000% rise in canpol related avatars.

I can never find that Jack Layton comic anymore.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Dreylad posted:

I can never find that Jack Layton comic anymore.

http://www.mikeholmesdraws.com/post/9634664125/true-story-202-thanks-to-mp-megan-leslie-for

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Mike Holmes's True Story book was one of the best presents I've ever gotten and that Jack Layton comic is perhaps his greatest work.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

As much as I've been disappointed by the taxi cartel's intransigence on changing any aspect of the status quo, I've been equally disappointed by Uber's stubborn refusal to compromise, work with municipal governments, and adjust in any way to conform to reasonable existing regulations. For example it is totally reasonable that some percentage of of a taxi cab fleet should be able to accommodate passengers with physical disabilities, but Uber is trying their hardest to get away from rules like this, asserting that they're not a taxi company but rather a lead generator etc etc.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Uber and Airbnb are both run by human scum but they are offering a better service than the older industries with which they compete and I would like it if the businesses that are not run by human scum would adapt their business models to accommodate. Welp that's my opinion on *~the sharing economy~*, thanks for reading.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

vyelkin posted:

Uber and Airbnb are both run by human scum but they are offering a better service than the older industries with which they compete and I would like it if the businesses that are not run by human scum would adapt their business models to accommodate. Welp that's my opinion on *~the sharing economy~*, thanks for reading.

why does it seem like the vast majority of this set of dot-coms are attempts to run around regulations (e.g. FanDuel is totally not online gambling)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Because rules get in the way of profit and it doesn't take the greatest entrepreneurial spirit to spot those situations.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Isentropy posted:

why does it seem like the vast majority of this set of dot-coms are attempts to run around regulations (e.g. FanDuel is totally not online gambling)

Because software engineers arrogantly believe they're smarter than everyone else in the room, and they can't be bothered to consider for a moment why government regulations exist, instead favouring their immediate assumption that government regulations were crafted by dunces for no reason.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Also the thinly veiled disdain for perceived lower-class workers of any stripe~

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Government regulations were created by idiot statist grandpas for the benefit of stupid lazy people and are the main things holding back innovaters and brilliant people from making sweeping progress. Anyone who disagrees is just a change-phobic ludite or a lazy parasite dependent on the system. With the sharing economy EVERYTHING has changed and all regulations are outdated. Look at this graph I created showing how much farther ahead we'd be without all these stupid anti-innovation laws and regulations

*graph with "hole left by christian dark ages" scribbled out and replaced with "hole left by red tape"*

By my calculations if it we'd let the Steve Jobs of the world really innovate and create we'd be cyber space dragons by now. Cyber space dragons don't worry about poverty or race issues, so you SJW's should think about what all these taxes and regulations are really holding back in the long term.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
uber actually loves regulations because they make it impossible for the taxi industry to compete with them.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thehouse/me...allum-1.3305978

quote:

The new Liberal government will fully restore refugee health care as part of their commitment to refugees, said Canada's new immigration minister John McCallum.

quote:

Another file on McCallum's agenda is revoking Bill C-24, he said.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I can't hate them so far. I'm glad, almost.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
They're also going to let scientists talk again.

It's funny how just undoing a whole bunch of stuff Harper did is enough to look like good governance.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

vyelkin posted:

They're also going to let scientists talk again.

It's funny how just undoing a whole bunch of stuff Harper did is enough to look like good governance.

Going to? We did 3 days ago. (Legit. Check cbc NS)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ok, where do I get one of those beard compatible protective hoods? I hate having to shave for work. It would be awesome to be able to pass the respirator fit test and have a beard.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Frank is reporting that post media is folding the sun in Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton into the other daily they own. So Ottawa citizen is about to get worse. Again.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

bunnyofdoom posted:

Frank is reporting that post media is folding the sun in Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton into the other daily they own. So Ottawa citizen is about to get worse. Again.

No articles, just a title and a comments section.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Dan Gardner's column is him just screaming quotes from The Prisoner into the void

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
http://www.macleans.ca/economy/economicanalysis/why-its-not-enough-to-simply-restore-the-long-form-census/

quote:

Why it’s not enough to simply restore the long-form census

Bringing back the long-form census was the easy part. If this government is serious about data, there is a lot more it should do.

Kevin Milligan

The new Trudeau government has restored the long-form census as one of its first moves. Ministers Jean-Yves Duclos and Navdeep Bains made the announcement on Thursday morning in Ottawa, but provided little actual detail. I think restoring the mandatory nature of the census is a good start, but it is not sufficient—more work needs to be done before we have a census that’s ready for the 21st century.

Before addressing the future, it’s worth recalling why the census generated such passion in some quarters. The previous government and its supporters often used the cancellation of the long-form census as the prototypical example of an issue mattering only to people in the ivory towers of academia or other “Laurentian elites.” If you want a thoroughly technical and nerdy academic answer to why the census matters, you can read my article with UBC colleague David Green here, or watch a more accessible video version put together by Tammy Schirle here. But the census really affected many Canadians outside the leafy quadrangles of academia, too.

On Twitter I interacted with an official from the University of Saskatchewan college of nursing who was trying to plan outreach to Aboriginal communities. Statistics Canada suppressed 2011 National Household Survey (NHS) information for almost half of Saskatchewan communities because of low data quality, meaning she couldn’t figure out the education and Aboriginal demographic profiles of the communities she was trying to serve. Helping bring nursing services—and nursing career opportunities—to historically disadvantaged Aboriginal communities does not strike me as an elite thing. The census matters.

But how exactly should we go about repairing the damage? Census questionnaires need to be thoroughly tested, and then they must be printed. You can’t do this in a few months. According to the Huffington Post, for 2016 the government will use the already-tested questionnaire for the planned 2016 National Household Survey and simply make its completion mandatory rather than voluntary. While 33 per cent of Canadians were requested to fill in the 2011 NHS, apparently only 25 per cent will be asked in 2016. Still, if compliance rates go back to 2006 levels, this should yield a larger number of completed surveys. But much more importantly, the sample should be much cleaner because we won’t have the skewed non-completion problems that plagued the 2011 NHS.

This strategy strikes me as sensible battlefield medicine. Time is short, so the government is constrained in what can be achieved in the few short weeks before sending the census forms to the printer. Making the 2016 NHS mandatory solves the largest problem we had with the 2011 NHS. However, I hope this is just the beginning of a new conversation on the census—and data in general—rather than a one-off restoration of past practices.

In the United Kingdom in 2010, the newly elected Conservative government also had some concerns about their census. But, instead of acting impetuously, they put in place a process to rethink how governments ought to be collecting data in the 21st century. The initial report of this process came out in 2014, and a new “Census Transformation Programme” is at work on plans for the 2021 U.K. Census.

What should Canada do next? Well, the main recommendations of that 2014 U.K. report were to make greater use of existing data already being collected for administrative purposes and greater use of Internet-based census forms. Canada was already doing both those things in 2006. I believe there is room for much more innovation.

I gave a guest lecture a year ago to a meeting of data librarians outlining my thoughts on the future of data in the social sciences, the notes from which can be found here. I remarked that we have more and more administrative data, such as tax, Employment Insurance and immigration records, at the same time as surveys (like the census) are becoming harder to conduct. If we move to greater use of administrative data, we need to be sure we properly balance privacy concerns, researcher access, cost, and data accuracy.

Restoring the mandatory basis for the 2016 survey was necessary, but also easy. The true test of the resolve of the new government on data will come in the actions they take as we begin to plan the 2021 census.
-

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

jfood posted:

No articles, just a title and a comments section.

No, still articles, just readable in 15 seconds and written at the level of "simple english" wikipedia.

Simple English Wikipedia, Rockets posted:

Most rockets still use solid fuel to make the fire. The biggest ones use liquid fuel because it makes a hotter fire so the rocket is more powerful. Handling the liquid fuel safely is difficult and expensive, however.

Rockets are also used for fireworks and weapons and to control moves in outer space.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

The Butcher posted:

No, still articles, just readable in 15 seconds and written at the level of "simple english" wikipedia.

Justin Trudeau is the Prime Minister, which means he is the leader of the country. He wants do a thing that costs a lot of money, and that money will come from taxes. Tax is what the government steals from your paycheque.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

^^^And If it's The Edmonton Sun we're talking about here: *25+ pages of nothing but car ads, mostly for lifted trucks. Brand new if the economy's good, lease return deals if the economy's bad.*

Normy posted:

There's a lot of cab owners in Vancouver trying to sell right now while the price is still high. They probably think they can't keep Uber out forever.

Funny, I haven't heard of Edmonton hacks doing the same. The only news about Uber and Taxis coming out lately was a sting operation hitting Uber drivers back on Oct 15th. Maybe they think their shirts-off crying hissyfit in Edmonton Council Chambers accomplished something? If so, they're even more delusional than normal.

Lars Blitzer fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 8, 2015

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Haha holy poo poo political news hasn't been this entertaining in so long.

Let's check in with the Post:

National Post posted:

Obama betrayed America’s closest ally over Keystone XL to prop up climate change legacy

Canadians of every political persuasion should be dismayed by U.S. President Barack Obama’s cowardly rejection of the Keystone XL pipeline.

http://business.financialpost.com/news/energy/obama-betrayed-americas-closest-ally-over-keystone-xl-to-prop-up-climate-change-legacy

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Thank God the National Post is telling me who to be massively disappointed with.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Kafka Esq. posted:

Thank God the National Post is telling me who to be massively disappointed with.

After ourselves for reading it, I presume.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Hey, if you want to despair for all humanity, try looking up the comments on literally any article about restoring health-care benefits to refugees!

The weirdest thing is that so many of these comments accuse the government of extending benefits that "working, contributing" Canadians don't receive. Apart from the fact this is not really true, where did this idea come from that refugees come to a place and then sit around and do nothing? Most of them can and probably will work, pay taxes, and contribute to Canadian society.

When did we get so stupid and racist as a country?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I think refugees get dental and eye-care which isn't covered (for most people) by our system. But hey, if people who have nothing can't afford $200 for the ability to see, gently caress them right?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EngineerJoe posted:

I think refugees get dental and eye-care which isn't covered (for most people) by our system. But hey, if people who have nothing can't afford $200 for the ability to see, gently caress them right?

For most people. If you "have nothing," you do have access to dental and vision care. In Alberta, it's provided through a provincial program; I assume if Alberta has it, every other province does as well. First Nations and Inuit get some coverage for those things from Health Canada directly, apparently.

I think we should work to extend dental and vision care to all Canadians, but that's not really Minister McCallum's responsibility, whereas providing benefits to refugees is.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
My friend is slowly losing the vision in his eye and Canadian healthcare doesn't cover the surgery needed to correct it. It'll run him something above five thousand dollars to pay for the procedure. He can't afford it for a while yet so has to live with decaying and double/triple vision, among other things.

If Canadian healthcare can cover it for refugees why not for Canadian citizens?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
you assume wrong, most provinces have no such thing

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Brannock posted:

Well, they should. I'm not saying it should be extended only to refugees, but one is just a reversal of changes Harper made, and the other would be a major new undertaking through the Ministry of Health (which should be done, I agree).

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

PT6A posted:

For most people. If you "have nothing," you do have access to dental and vision care. In Alberta, it's provided through a provincial program; I assume if Alberta has it, every other province does as well.

Not NB. If you don't have work insurance, both of those are out of pocket.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Brannock posted:

My friend is slowly losing the vision in his eye and Canadian healthcare doesn't cover the surgery needed to correct it. It'll run him something above five thousand dollars to pay for the procedure. He can't afford it for a while yet so has to live with decaying and double/triple vision, among other things.

Government welfare programs aren't based on any kind of comprehensive plan or principle. Rather they're the by-product of struggle and conflict in the past between competing interest groups. Since the 1980s the most successful special interest has been businessmen and their allies who want a small government and a population that relies on the private market for it's well being, hence why the massive gaping holes in our safety net (lack of pharmacare, optometry, dentistry, mental healthcare, etc.) have never been addressed.

Canada doesn't have a more comprehensive welfare state than America because Canadians or their government are inherently more benevolent. We just had a better labour movement that fought for comprehensive government programs rather than concessions from employers, and our labour movement used to have a political arm (the NDP) unlike the American unions who were simply one competing part of the Democratic Party.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Stretch Marx posted:

Not NB. If you don't have work insurance, both of those are out of pocket.

Literally one minute on google: http://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/services/services_renderer.8075.Health_Services_Dental_Program.html

I'm not saying the coverage, in AB or NB, is as extensive as it should be, mind you, but it does exist for people in certain circumstances. We can and should do better, I agree.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

In Ontario I believe optometry visits are covered until you're 18, and if you have issues that you're born with you get coverage for checkups for life. I get free checkups because my eyes suck. Doesn't help a whole lot when a new pair of glasses are 500$ on lenses alone, and my work coverage doesn't cover glasses. I also can't claim it as tax deductible until I spend more than something like $1K/year on medical expenses.

Thank God for my drug plan through work though, without it I'd be unable to afford the medication I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

TrueChaos posted:

In Ontario I believe optometry visits are covered until you're 18, and if you have issues that you're born with you get coverage for checkups for life. I get free checkups because my eyes suck. Doesn't help a whole lot when a new pair of glasses are 500$ on lenses alone, and my work coverage doesn't cover glasses. I also can't claim it as tax deductible until I spend more than something like $1K/year on medical expenses.

Thank God for my drug plan through work though, without it I'd be unable to afford the medication I need.

Have you tried one of those online glasses places? That's one way to save a whole fuckload of money.