Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

grack posted:

Also why the gently caress do people never clean out their pens. Got that 45 in today and it was drat near cemented shut.

If you haven't experienced an aerometric Parker '51' with 60 year-old dried superchrome or 1941-1948 '51' ink then you are really missing out.

There's nothing quite like getting that flea market bargain home only to realize that the breather tube has disintegrated and that the plastic where the sac is glued is softer than silly putty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

grack posted:

$0.99 Jinhao X450s are back - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Students-Co...oAAAOSwDNdVsaCI

Also why the gently caress do people never clean out their pens. Got that 45 in today and it was drat near cemented shut.

Do these come with a converter? (I'm assuming they're international standard otherwise?)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Mr. Despair posted:

Do these come with a converter? (I'm assuming they're international standard otherwise?)

Yeah, the converter I got had a cracked opening so I tossed it. Standard international works fine.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Got this in yesterday. For what was a $20 throw-in while buying Christmas gifts for the family this is a really, really nice pen.

It's Chinese (Fuliwen 2037) but the body is a translucent swirled blue acrylic, not lacquer over brass and drat is it pretty. Grip is kinda strange (but still comfortable) and the nib needed some smoothing but it writes quite well.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
My TWSBI Vac 700's nib broke into two pieces (the metal lower separated from the plastic housing with the threads). I've owned it since Feb. '14 and I've been using it as an everyday pen until this happened.

Is it worth it to order a new nib, or should I think about getting something a little nicer?

If I decide to upgrade, I was thinking about the Lamy 2000 or the Pilot Stargazer. Are those good choices? Are there others I should consider? I've been using the TWSBI extra-fine and I like the width.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

QuantumNinja posted:

My TWSBI Vac 700's nib broke into two pieces (the metal lower separated from the plastic housing with the threads). I've owned it since Feb. '14 and I've been using it as an everyday pen until this happened.

Is it worth it to order a new nib, or should I think about getting something a little nicer?

If I decide to upgrade, I was thinking about the Lamy 2000 or the Pilot Stargazer. Are those good choices? Are there others I should consider? I've been using the TWSBI extra-fine and I like the width.

Regardless of the circumstances, whine to TWSBI support for a replacement part. I think you are describing that little metal ring that surrounds the housing, which is a thing that shouldn't fall off.

If you end up replacing it, the Lamy 2000 is the better daily workhorse of those two options. It will have a higher than normal chance of needing nib work for a pen in that price range, but that's only $10-$30 depending on who you send it to. (I like Danny Fudge; he's one of the cheapest and quickest.) Also: The EF that was on my Lamy 2000 was quite a bit fatter than the one on my Vac 700.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Here's a picture of the broken part:

What sort of nib work, and how often?

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 4, 2015

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

QuantumNinja posted:

Alignment/tuning/smoothing and, as is likely for the L2K, the removal of baby's bottom. And only once.

And definitely throw TWSBI an email. They will probably just send you a new nib unit.

Also: If you want the best workhorse/note pen for around $120, buy a restored Parker 51. I'd lean towards the aerometric version, since it's a little more durable and a lot easier to clean than the vacumatic.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

QuantumNinja posted:

Here's a picture of the broken part:

I don't have my Vac in front of me to take apart, but if I remember right those threads should go all of the way up past the capillary stem at the back end of the feed, and it threads into the section which itself threads into the barrel. You can get replacement Vac700 nib units for ~$25 retail, which includes the whole section. But I bet if you're a little patient and willing to email their support about they'd send you a replacement for the broken part for like ~$3.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Happy Fountain Pen Day :choco:

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Guess I'll celebrate by cleaning out my two pens that have sat drying for longer than I care to admit.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

It was like black Friday for something with only a small population of buyers. Also: not a single worthwhile sale/deal. Yay!

Apparently the Karas Kustoms Ink 2.0's release is in the next week. It'll be a lot like the first Ink, but with a slightly (1 mm, maybe) recessed #6 nib (that's supposed to be a homage to the Parker '51'), two new colors, and a cap that still doesn't post.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
I already bought two new Pilot Metros and I'm just waiting for them in the mail. (Which is taking for loving ever, considering I live two loving hours away from Goulet's warehouse)

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Isn't there an option to pick it up from them if you live that close?

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
It's still cheaper and less-headachey to have it sent to me, considering how much I'll spend in gas, how long I'll be in traffic, and when I would actually have time to go.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Lessons in why not to be a bit of a slob: finally got around to cleaning out all the poo poo I had crammed behind the seats in my work truck, found the Vanishing Point that I thought I lost like six months ago in the breast pocket of one of my work shirts.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Lamy converters, man. I did my pen cleaning yesterday, and the TWSBI and Metro were just fine. The Al-Star itself cleaned without any problems, but even after flushing out the converter with ammonia it still magically produces little bits of its last ink every time I give it a little shake.

I should've kept an empty sample vial on hand. I'm pretty sure if I do it long enough I could make a new bottle of ink.

Noctone posted:

Lessons in why not to be a bit of a slob: finally got around to cleaning out all the poo poo I had crammed behind the seats in my work truck, found the Vanishing Point that I thought I lost like six months ago in the breast pocket of one of my work shirts.

Oh hey congrats on not (permanently) losing a pricey thing.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

Meldonox posted:

Lamy converters, man. I did my pen cleaning yesterday, and the TWSBI and Metro were just fine. The Al-Star itself cleaned without any problems, but even after flushing out the converter with ammonia it still magically produces little bits of its last ink every time I give it a little shake.

I should've kept an empty sample vial on hand. I'm pretty sure if I do it long enough I could make a new bottle of ink.

Did you disassemble the converter? I have that problem if I don't disassemble the converter and rinse all the parts under a bunch of water. Fortunately, the Lamy converters are pretty fool-proof to disassemble.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Zuph posted:

Did you disassemble the converter? I have that problem if I don't disassemble the converter and rinse all the parts under a bunch of water. Fortunately, the Lamy converters are pretty fool-proof to disassemble.

I never even thought to! I kinda assumed the piston's seal would be enough to keep anything from getting behind it, and I didn't expect that little piece at the open end to retain much. I'll go try it out.

Edit: This is going to be harder than it looks. I can't get a good grip on the piston end for the life of me.

Meldonox fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 8, 2015

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Lost my safari :(

I am considering selling my old pens and buying one nice pen, is my best bet eBay?

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Amazon is alright for japanese pens if you can wait like 3 weeks.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

teraflame posted:

Amazon is alright for japanese pens if you can wait like 3 weeks.

I meant to sell the old timers, sorry for the confusion.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Got my $1 Jinhao X450 in. I'm happy with the pen itself but it seems like the nib is super dry even after flushing with an ammonia solution to clean it out. Tried adjusting the nib slightly. What am I missing? My Lamy just worked well out of the box (and it's an EF so it naturally puts out less ink).

I was kind of shocked as I figured this thing would be spewing ink out.

e: Now it is pouring ink at times and writing pale at others. I reseated the nib on the feed during cleaning. Is it simply misaligned? I centered the end of the feed on the center line of tines on the nib..

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 12, 2015

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

this is why you always.. order 2+ jinhos.

I have a 599 that's sitting in a drawer, because no matter what I do I can't get it to flow evenly.
I have a 2 750's that flow very wet without any issue.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

From my very limited research it looks like folks like the 750's more than this 450 anyhow. I'll just pick another up for as cheap as they are. I'm pretty happy with the pen aesthetics anyway.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The last couple of converters I've gotten in Jinhao pens have been more or less non-functional. Try using a cartridge and see if it helps.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

grack posted:

The last couple of converters I've gotten in Jinhao pens have been more or less non-functional. Try using a cartridge and see if it helps.

Put a converter I took from some Jinhao and put it in my Pilot Metro and it is working great.
Aside from that, you buy a Chinese $1 pen so you there is always a chance some will be low quality.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

That shouldn't be possible unless you have an MR and not a Metropolitan

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

If you are a freedom-hating European please refer to your entry level metal Pilot fountain pen as a "MR" to avoid future confusion.

Unless it takes Pilot cartridges, then go hog wild.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
How are you guys getting the last bits of ink out of a Noodler's ink bottle?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

grack posted:

What qualifies as nonfunctional? It fits in tightly, draws up ink well, etc.

I'll try the converter from my safari I guess? Dunno if they're interchangeable.

E: Hmm. On a whim I just tried inking the pen up with a small sample of Heart of Darkness I have and it writes perfectly fine without even cleaning the old ink out. I guess regular Noodler's black is too thin? I didn't like heart of darkness in my EF Lamy as it dried to a thick, varnishy sheen on the nib but maybe that's a benefit here.

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 13, 2015

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Lolcano Eruption posted:

A blunt syringe works wonders.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So I have a Monteverde Invincia Stylus (all black) and I'm finding that normal use and simply taking the cap on and off is scratching the hell out of the pen, exposing the brass underneath.

Is there an easy way to repair this? Should I consider stripping the finish off all together, exposing the brass and applying a patina? Other thoughts?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Lolcano Eruption posted:

lol if you aren't throwing out bottles half full to make room for new purchases

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Soricidus posted:

lol if you aren't throwing out bottles half full to make room for new purchases

This but unironicaly. The day my ink gets to the dregs is the day my 15 bottles are empty.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Oh hey, my $1 Jinhao just showed up. It sure looks and feels a lot nicer than I'd expect such a cheap pen to, but I guess I'll have to flush and ink it to see how it ends up.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, I was surprised by the Jinhao I got, too. (The 126, which is not a model people talk about much and using it I understand why, but having little girly hands it works for me)

I just picked it up as a baystate blue mule but it feels really solid in the hand and writes really smoothly.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

My Jinhao X450 is currently my favorite pen. It writes wet and smoothly with the bottle of Noodlers black my TWSBI and Metropolitan hate, feels comfortable, and if it is lost or broken I can replace it for next to nothing.

In fact I've ordered another in a different color and also a $3 X750 because at those prices why not?

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Been wanting to use a fountain pen for quite a while. Ordered a set of 4 Jinhao x250(http://www.amazon.ca/Jinhao-Fountain-colors-types-Nibs/dp/B00D6CJFBE) for 12$ and am quite happy with them. It said two medium 2 fine but they all seem medium to me. ALso ordered a 60 ml Namiki black ink and am quite happy there too. Been writing nonsense to practice and it feels very good.
Also got this: http://www.amazon.ca/ZLYC-Handmade-Refillable-Travelers-Notebook/dp/B01116V1C2
Another dream of mine having a leather bound note book. This one was cheap enough to try before I pay a fortune for a better product. And this one is quite nice. Looks sturdy enough.

After reading the couple last pages of the thread I whent to ebay and ordered two X450 fine pens (4 CAN$ each). We'll see if I like it better the medium ones are quite large and I like to write small. Also reviews for the X450 seem better then for the x250 but really to my untrained hand these are very good. No skipping, easy to fill, everything works well.

Thanks for all the great information by everyone in this thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

One thing about Chinese pens is that they rarely have graded or marked nib sizes so it's not always easy to know what you're going to get. The majority of Chinese FPs I've used have a nib that writes somewhere between a Western F and M which probably works for a lot of people but I've gotten the entire gamut from EF to B or even BB. The cheapest way to get a guaranteed F or EF nib is a Platinum Preppy.