Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

StandardVC10 posted:

I know the 914/6 has been hyped to infinity.

And that one is now priced out of reach for people who can't get a nice/rare 911.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
From the reactions to my post I just want to clarify I was not being in any way negative or say not to, I was just putting it in real world perspective for myself if no one else :v:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Even 912es are fuckin expensive, although at least you're getting something that looks like a 911 in that case

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
EJ20 swapped 914's look like a hoot, assuming it's not a rustmonster nightmare.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

BraveUlysses posted:

914s have zero rust protection whatsoever; it's part of the reason why my mother sold her 914. Well that and I was coming along to spoil the party (so she bought a Mk1 Rabbit GTi).

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

I remember seeing a 914 with a turbo rotary, dude said it wasn't boring

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
For the record they do make bolt in LS conversion kits for the 914.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Doesn't change the fact that 914s are ugly as poo poo. Not even "80's it'll be good one day" ugly. Like, Yugo ugly.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Geirskogul posted:

Doesn't change the fact that 914s are ugly as poo poo. Not even "80's it'll be good one day" ugly. Like, Yugo ugly.

:colbert:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Well yeah, if you put a dark filter on the photo and take it from a low angle like a fat girl on Facebook of course it looks good.

She never takes a picture of her face the same way 914 enthusiasts never pop up the headlights.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Perhaps something red and Italian would better suit your needs :haw:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Geirskogul posted:

But again, it's a 914 . I watched the Wheeler Dealer episode on the 914 and nobody is that crazy, right? It has a VW bus engine.

Some people are speculating on these as "investments" and don't give a single poo poo about the car itself.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Well, reminder that that particular car has been chopped up and widened >8" with the roof lowered 2", and a bunch of stuff smoothed out. Someone managed to make that particular one look good, but they don't usually.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Aaaand a stock one, similar angle

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

To be perfectly honest, I really like how the 914 looks.

A former coworker's father has one that was purchased by his (as in his father's parents) bought for him when he graduated college. It's been sitting in the garage since about a year or two later. :sigh: Last time I saw it (probably 10 years ago) it looked brand new inside and out, but hadn't been driven since the 1970s.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

That silver one still has a shaved hood. I think the 914 is a great looking car. 60% of why is playing it in Porsche Unleashed.

My friend appreciates fast cars as a hobby, but knows nothing about them. After driving him to and from an event for over 2 hours, he finally asks as we're idling at a light,
"hey, why is it so loud in the back? Is the motor in the back?"
After I confirmed it, he then asked,
"oh ok, but it's still front-drive, right? Or is it back-drive?"

Swapped over the Hill Engineering bolts. The finish is better, but the OEM bolts were in pretty good shape. Even at this distance, can you tell which one bolt is OEM?

The beam torque wrench and Snap-On agreed pretty closely, which made me happy.

Next post, I use this:

What's crazy is that, since 2008, when I had that Focus that I autocrossed, I have not had a car that I could put this on until now. e: wait, that's not true -- the 16v through 2010, I could have mounted it. But even so, the 8 intervening cars since then haven't had 2-post headrests.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Nov 8, 2015

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

14 INCH DICK posted:

Perhaps something red and Italian would better suit your needs :haw:

God, those USDM bumpers are loving tragic.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

kimbo305 posted:

Swapped over the Hill Engineering bolts. The finish is better, but the OEM bolts were in pretty good shape. Even at this distance, can you tell which one bolt is OEM?

Just guessing the one at 3 o'clock, but only because the corners are sharp, not because of the finish.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

bandman posted:

God, those USDM bumpers are loving tragic.

It's a stylish Italian moustache!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
lol at working on your Ferrari wearing socks and flip flops.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

Just guessing the one at 3 o'clock, but only because the corners are sharp, not because of the finish.
Yep. You have to get really close before you can see the sharp edges and mild chips on the originals. I'm curious if any future prospective buyers will be those insane know-everything freaks that won't be able to live unless I give them details like that.

Preoptopus posted:

lol at working on your Ferrari wearing socks and flip flops.

Heh, sometimes late at night, I'll run out ot the CVS in socks and slippers. I've never run into anyone I know... yet.
I do feel a bit weird doing all the little things like that -- I have no idea what my coresidents think about what kind of person in the building owns a Ferrari (or unusual sports car) and who previously had a Viper for 2 months and then the Z06 before that. The building seems to be mostly married grad students and yuppies, some foreign.
The next sportiest car in this 20-car garage is a nicely kept GR STI. There used to be a really dusty Foxbody LX in one spot, but that was a hoarder's car, I think.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Want to go on a night drive?

This drive is representative of a new night driving route that my coworker bequeathed to me when he moved. As you can see, it's pretty quiet after midnight around here, so usually I have the roads to myself, though there is sometimes a car or two holding me up, and sometimes cops lying in wait along certain stretches. Last night, though, conditions were very good.

The image quality is pretty bad, as you'd imagine for a 2nd tier action camera, but I wanted to drive, not get the best footage. I'm sure I'll get more later.
The angle is great for showing the interior and controls but not for showing much of the road, which really begs for a day drive. Next time, I'll raise the headrest up and point the camera down to see more of the road.

The light clattering you hear frequently is a loose bolt in the camera mount, but otherwise the audio is representatitve of real life, both in terms of road noise/drone and the motor sound. I was worried the audio would be complete crap.

If you want to watch just one part, go for 24:50 - 27:45. That gets you a couple of runs to redline.
The only other thing of interest might be the gated shifting and clacks. For decent examples of that, see start through 1:40 (warming up, I try to shift under 2500 -- I open up past 4k at the 9min mark) or 10:40 - 11:37.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_MSJJ9gh8M
I sprinkled a bit of commentary here and there, but it's really not worth anything more than skipping around.

And a Hyperlapse, set to you know what:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC7zS_S85Rk

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Yes

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yes

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Thank you for this thread. It isn't every day someone dives as deep as you have into the little stuff and ownership experience with something as cool as what you've got here.

AI has certainly had exotics all along- bio wedge and that headlight fetishist photog (siphon/syph0n?) spring to mind- but neither got all up in it the way this thread has. Now that I'm thinking about it, wasn't the sifon guy a groupie with friends with exotics who drove a 350 or something?

There was a ford GT that popped up in the show your ride thread forever ago, never heard from the dude again.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

kimbo305 posted:

That silver one still has a shaved hood. I think the 914 is a great looking car. 60% of why is playing it in Porsche Unleashed.

My friend appreciates fast cars as a hobby, but knows nothing about them. After driving him to and from an event for over 2 hours, he finally asks as we're idling at a light,
"hey, why is it so loud in the back? Is the motor in the back?"
After I confirmed it, he then asked,
"oh ok, but it's still front-drive, right? Or is it back-drive?"

Next post, I use this:

What's crazy is that, since 2008, when I had that Focus that I autocrossed, I have not had a car that I could put this on until now. e: wait, that's not true -- the 16v through 2010, I could have mounted it. But even so, the 8 intervening cars since then haven't had 2-post headrests.

Hah, I still have one of those too. Was there a group buy or something? I haven't touched the thing in years.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

glyph posted:

Thank you for this thread. It isn't every day someone dives as deep as you have into the little stuff and ownership experience with something as cool as what you've got here.

My pleasure. With the newer cars I've had, I didn't have the skills or infrastructure to work on them, and the cars didn't present the same reliability or maintenance concerns, so there was definitely less to post about.

Someone on FC just got this stunning car. The Speciale had the body-color rocker panels, the 320hp tune, and some special interior bits, like those incredible seats.

For some reason, that car's fuel and oil temp gauges are switched.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

This was great. I grew up in Winchester so a lot of that route was very familiar to me.

That said, I'm glad I don't live so close to the city anymore. Not a lot of great places to drive around there. I'm up near the NH seacoast and the coast road late at night is good fun this time of year.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

For some reason, that car's fuel and oil temp gauges are switched.

Inattentive reassembly during some maintenance? But goddamn that's nice.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Inattentive reassembly during some maintenance? But goddamn that's nice.

That car is on, hence the clock and fuel gauge running. If the oil temp is busted like mine, then maybe an owner had them switched to make the fuel easier to read.

Speaking of things not working, the sliver of light you can see on the right of the gauge binnacle is the right passenger seatbelt light (which I thought was funny -- there's only one light for both turn signals, but one light for each set of belts). In the video, I edited out all the dead time at stoplights, which is when I tried fruitlessly to get the light to go out by fiddling with the buckle.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

That car is on, hence the clock and fuel gauge running. If the oil temp is busted like mine, then maybe an owner had them switched to make the fuel easier to read.

Right, I was assuming they were still hooked up and running, but it seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to put one in the slot for the other - are they actually an assembly or two separate gauges?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Right, I was assuming they were still hooked up and running, but it seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to put one in the slot for the other - are they actually an assembly or two separate gauges?

I believe they are. One commonly cited issue is a bad grounding strap to the fuel tank, which is where the sensor gets its reference ground. Something I'll have the shop take a quick look at when they get it on the lift again.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dunno what this one will end at, if it clears the reserve: http://www.ebay.com/itm/252163648364

And if anyone has stacks of money they want to throw at something: http://bringatrailer.com/2015/11/13/rally-prepped-early-fiberglass-1977-ferrari-308-gtb/

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kimbo305 posted:

Dunno what this one will end at, if it clears the reserve: http://www.ebay.com/itm/252163648364

And if anyone has stacks of money they want to throw at something: http://bringatrailer.com/2015/11/13/rally-prepped-early-fiberglass-1977-ferrari-308-gtb/

I don't even give a poo poo. I loving love 400s.

Also, that 308 is loving ridiculous.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014
Thanks for the video. The sound of the clacking or gear shifts is really cool.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Took a day drive video today.
Raised the headrest, angled down the mount, and I tried to tape down the loose bolt, but it didn't work. Worse, I couldn't get the camera's phone app connect to the device wifi, so I had to blindly set up the recording, which led to 1min chunks with maybe 20s gaps in between.

Missing in those gaps are:
- when I undertook a Corolla in a lane merge way after when it would have been polite
- there was a G-body aerocoupe of some kind that's holding up my lane at 4:05. Going by the glass size, I'd guess a Monte, not the Grand Prix.
- when the typical Audi driver from 11:38 decides at the light to make left turn lane for himself in front the No Left Turns sign. This camera isn't sharp enough to get his plate, at least not set up this way.
- the sweet double heel-toe downshift I did pulling off the highway

Highlights:
- 0:40 I don't check the mirror well enough the first time and almost pull into a car. I was not at my sharpest today
- 5:05 I think I bottomed out the right rear on that bump. The worst bump I've taken since I've been driving it
- 6:07 some poor sap got pulled by a statie for a while -- he's still there at 10:50, some 20min later by the clock
- 12:22 out of state CRV doesn't observe the local 2-lane roundabout convention and tries to keep going from the outside lane. My reaction is half a second late; I should have been more wary. This spot is definitely where I'm the most cautious on this route.

Again, it's mostly cruising around. But it's a lot easier to see the shifting in daylight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEEUicTV0hM

E: also swapped those shoes for these:

A little tighter; need to wear them in.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 16, 2015

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Embracing that coke dealer vibe with CoCo in the background!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Nothing really going on. I have an appt with the shop after Tgiving for probably the last cool thing for the car this year. Not sure how much driving I'll do over the winter. One problem is that I don't have an outlet near my parking spot to run a battery tender off of.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

kimbo305 posted:

I have an appt with the shop after Tgiving for probably the last cool thing for the car this year.

It's a turbo setup isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

kimbo305 posted:

This drive is representative of a new night driving route that my coworker bequeathed to me when he moved. As you can see, it's pretty quiet after midnight around here, so usually I have the roads to myself, though there is sometimes a car or two holding me up, and sometimes cops lying in wait along certain stretches. Last night, though, conditions were very good.

The image quality is pretty bad, as you'd imagine for a 2nd tier action camera, but I wanted to drive, not get the best footage. I'm sure I'll get more later.
The angle is great for showing the interior and controls but not for showing much of the road, which really begs for a day drive. Next time, I'll raise the headrest up and point the camera down to see more of the road.

The light clattering you hear frequently is a loose bolt in the camera mount, but otherwise the audio is representatitve of real life, both in terms of road noise/drone and the motor sound. I was worried the audio would be complete crap.

If you want to watch just one part, go for 24:50 - 27:45. That gets you a couple of runs to redline.
The only other thing of interest might be the gated shifting and clacks. For decent examples of that, see start through 1:40 (warming up, I try to shift under 2500 -- I open up past 4k at the 9min mark) or 10:40 - 11:37.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_MSJJ9gh8M
I sprinkled a bit of commentary here and there, but it's really not worth anything more than skipping around.

And a Hyperlapse, set to you know what:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC7zS_S85Rk

Come on, man. No Jan Hammer? 4/10.

• Locked thread