Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Is there a way I can get my iPhone to automatically play music whenever it connects to my car's bluetooth? I've tried googling around but everything I've found is people asking how to disable this feature, which my phone has not done once. (IPhone 6, 9.1, not jailbroken).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

dik-dik posted:

Is there a way I can get my iPhone to automatically play music whenever it connects to my car's bluetooth? I've tried googling around but everything I've found is people asking how to disable this feature, which my phone has not done once. (IPhone 6, 9.1, not jailbroken).

It should just do that even if music.app isn't in the memory (when it annoyingly plays A by the Barenaked Ladies :gonk:). It's the default behaviour of my phone since the 3GS. Try a backup + restore?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

It should just do that even if music.app isn't in the memory (when it annoyingly plays A by the Barenaked Ladies :gonk:). It's the default behaviour of my phone since the 3GS. Try a backup + restore?

Yeah, mine is A.W.E.S.O.M.E by Reel Big Fish. Used to like it, now I loving *hate* that song.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, mine has always done that. (For me, it's "A Bit of Finger / Sleeping Village / Warning" by Black Sabbath.)

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Weird, maybe Apple has some method of detecting that you actually want this feature to work and then turns it off for you and leaves it on for everyone else. Anyway, trying the backup+restore now. Thanks!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I need a list of cool songs that start with A because I'm sick o my current 1st alphabetical song.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Craptacular! posted:

As I go along converting all my eBooks into Kindle format and uploading them one by one to Amazon's storage, I must ask: do any of the eBook apps for iOS have iCloud Drive support? As in, do they make an app-specific folder the way the iWork apps and Pixelmator do, that I can dump DRM-free ebooks into and they'll show up in the app? If they also synced location between devices that would be great, but it isn't necessary.

I wish iBooks would do this, given that it can read EPUB and all, but oh well. I looked at Marvin and it has a Dropbox-based implementation of this idea, but I don't want to use Dropbox. It feels like iCloud Drive should be able to do this.
Sort of, but functionally you do it just like you do with Dropbox -- via a non-iBooks app. You can display the iCloud Drive app (settings - iCloud - iCloud Drive - Show App on Home Screen), and then you can open the iCloud Drive app, select the file, and then choose "copy to iBooks".

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I need a list of cool songs that start with A because I'm sick o my current 1st alphabetical song.

These are some good songs:

Except for that fat jack song I've never heard before. And A by BNL :argh:

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Someone at some point suggested creating a track that's roughly a minute of silence and naming it "aaaaaa." The silence will play automatically, giving you enough time to pick a real song.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Sort of, but functionally you do it just like you do with Dropbox -- via a non-iBooks app. You can display the iCloud Drive app (settings - iCloud - iCloud Drive - Show App on Home Screen), and then you can open the iCloud Drive app, select the file, and then choose "copy to iBooks".

The interesting thing is somebody's made an app that does what I want, though according to reviews it's a bit lackluster. Still shows that the API wizardry needed is in there.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

A-Yo (Feat. Saukrates) by Method Man & Redman off their 2009 album Blackout! 2

You'll thank me later.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

The interesting thing is somebody's made an app that does what I want, though according to reviews it's a bit lackluster. Still shows that the API wizardry needed is in there.

Ugh, just use calibre! It's good!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

tuyop posted:

seriously that indian dude worked hard on it

just use calibre

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

tuyop posted:

And A by BNL :argh:
What up same lovely song buddy.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
For my phone it has always been A B C by Hot Chip.

Also, auto play when Bluetooth connects is supposed to be a thing, but there are some vehicles it doesn't work with. Mostly, it's cars where you have to push a button on the car to switch to the BT sound source, every single time you start the car.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I did a complete backup and restore and my phone still wont to play on Bluetooth. Anything else I can try?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Millions posted:

Someone at some point suggested creating a track that's roughly a minute of silence and naming it "aaaaaa." The silence will play automatically, giving you enough time to pick a real song.

It should be a minute of silence followed by a deafening truck horn and screeching tires.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

dik-dik posted:

I did a complete backup and restore and my phone still wont to play on Bluetooth. Anything else I can try?

Replace your car stereo.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Replace your car stereo.

My previous phone (HTC One M8) autoplayed with no problems. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Is there an app (probably for jailbroken phones only) that can sort of act like dropbox for music, where I can designate a folder on my computer and it will just push whatever songs I have in that folder to the phone as like songs it will recognize in the music library?

If that doesn't exist I would settle for a program that just lets me push songs to the phone manually over wifi without having to connect it OR use iTunes at all

I know that iTunes can like sync over wifi nowadays (I think?) I just hate using it and would rather not if possible

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Stefan Prodan posted:

Is there an app (probably for jailbroken phones only) that can sort of act like dropbox for music, where I can designate a folder on my computer and it will just push whatever songs I have in that folder to the phone as like songs it will recognize in the music library?

If that doesn't exist I would settle for a program that just lets me push songs to the phone manually over wifi without having to connect it OR use iTunes at all

I know that iTunes can like sync over wifi nowadays (I think?) I just hate using it and would rather not if possible

I think OneDrive and Groove Music do this, but I'm not 100% sure.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
VLC wifi sync is my favorite and I kinda wish iTunes worked that way.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Stefan Prodan posted:

Couldn't you use the "automatically add to iTunes" folder with iTunes Match or Apple Music to accomplish this?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Oh I had no idea something like that existed, guess I'll google it, thanks!

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Millions posted:

I actually just rename a song that I really like so it's first alphabetically. When I get sick of that particular song, I change its name back and rename another. It's worked well for me for the past few years.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
Such a weird problem that has plagued iOS since the beginning. Like, is it that hard to save the state of what you're listening to to disk when the app has to quit? All it has to do is remember the track and source/playlist. :confused:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Cawd Rud posted:

Such a weird problem that has plagued iOS since the beginning. Like, is it that hard to save the state of what you're listening to to disk when the app has to quit? All it has to do is remember the track and source/playlist. :confused:

This will be introduced as an amazing feature down the line.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Flux for iOS: https://justgetflux.com/sideload/

Has to be sideloaded through Xcode, but it's really easy to do.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I know I'm way behind the times, but I bought a new iPad recently, at that leaves my iPad Generation 1 up for toying around with. What is the best way to jailbreak the original iPad 1 which is, of course, ceiling locked to 5.1.1?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

maduin posted:

Funny how this comes out weeks after that dude got the Gamma Test running through Xcode...

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

maduin posted:

Sweet - Stealing and posting in the iPhone thread

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

empty baggie posted:

I actually just rename a song that I really like so it's first alphabetically. When I get sick of that particular song, I change its name back and rename another. It's worked well for me for the past few years.
My alphabetically first song is A-chick A-boom by Tom Waits, and that's what plays in my girlfriend's car, but my new has decided that Is There A Ghost by Band of Horses is the first. Not arguing because it's much less jarring than this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJi62CynjEk

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Sleep Cycle just got a sweet update that negates the need to place the phone on your bed anymore. Through sound detection magic it hears when you move in bed, just place the phone on the ground or a nightstand.

Have a significant other? Place their phone on the other side of the bed, the two phones will sync and talk to each other(after setup) to determine which person is moving. Holy poo poo.

Sounds good, really curious how this will work. If I use the app I always use airplane mode but I'll give this a shot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

drat, that's a pretty bonkers update.

Maybe now I'll finally quit knocking my phone to the floor at night.

Now I just have to convince my wife to turn hers on every night.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

decypher posted:

Sleep Cycle just got a sweet update that negates the need to place the phone on your bed anymore. Through sound detection magic it hears when you move in bed, just place the phone on the ground or a nightstand.

Have a significant other? Place their phone on the other side of the bed, the two phones will sync and talk to each other(after setup) to determine which person is moving. Holy poo poo.

Sounds good, really curious how this will work. If I use the app I always use airplane mode but I'll give this a shot.
I've never actually used Sleep Cycle even though I bought it. This could definitely get me on the train though.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

tuyop posted:

I already do use it for converting books and archiving them on my PC, but I'm also talking about online storage since I was building an online library. Right now, I have everything on both Google Play Books and Kindle storage and can decide which one I like better.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I've never actually used Sleep Cycle even though I bought it. This could definitely get me on the train though.

It has the best snooze feature in alarm clock history, just smash your phone and it leaves you alone for a few minutes. The snooze gets shorter as you get closer to your desired wake up time.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I was thinking of getting a Google Cardboard viewer for a friend who has an iPhone 6 and enjoys these kind of gadgets.

I've read that it's maybe not so good on iPhone, though (something about having bad resolution)? Are there any decent apps?

Also, recommendations on a decent viewer that's not too expensive are welcome.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

720p is less than ideal for Google Cardboard. Remember it cuts the resolution in half, so you get 640x720 on an iPhone 6 (I'm not really sure how it handles the vertical in that case). Also with the magnification, you're going to be seeing a lot of pixels. It works fine, but it's not the greatest experience. I don't really know what apps are available since I haven't looked too hard. I got I Am Cardboard from Amazon. It wasn't expensive at all, but it's ultimately just a piece of folded cardboard with a couple lenses and a magnet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong

maduin posted:

Anyone have the zip still saved? Looks like Apple forced them to stop distributing f.lux this way.