Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

xZAOx posted:

According to a random post I read on reddit, puzzles just give credit to the first 15. That seems to go along with what GS puzzle run #2 experienced.

That's loving stupid. Are big guilds just supposed to chain run missions constantly so that everyone gets their rewards now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Wait if that's true then wouldn't that mean you can only get 15 people their rewards every half hour(assuming the puzzle counter has to run down before you can start the next round)? In that case wouldn't a guild need to collectively spend a over a full day's worth of time a week just to get everyone in a max size guild their puzzle commendations?

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax
I certainly hope that's not true because that's beyond retarded. I hope that's a bug, not an intended feature; otherwise that's a very cruel way to try to force constant activity in-game for guilds/players.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

xZAOx posted:

According to a random post I read on reddit, puzzles just give credit to the first 15. That seems to go along with what GS puzzle run #2 experienced.

I don't think that's entirely accurate, we were stuck at 10/15 with literally the entire guild, like 60 ghost dogs, humping the finish line. Then, 7 minutes later, it fixed itself and we all completely it successfully simultaneously. There is definitely something buggy going on and it can't be solely a number thing.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't think that's entirely accurate, we were stuck at 10/15 with literally the entire guild, like 60 ghost dogs, humping the finish line. Then, 7 minutes later, it fixed itself and we all completely it successfully simultaneously. There is definitely something buggy going on and it can't be solely a number thing.

We're talking about puzzles, not rush. Rush was buggy as hell too, but most (all?) got their credit. You just had to keep hopping back and forth over the finish line until it made you not-wolf, then wait out the timer.

Edit: unless there's a puzzle that turns you into a wolf that you're talking about.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

God dammit, I'm sorry, I misread, yes the puzzle is definitely buggy too but I responded with my brain thinking rush. Sorry about that.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

malhavok posted:

It's not about removing the content, it's that the rewards were tuned to a vastly different time scale for finishing a dungeon than what people cut them down to. It is about :effort:, the effort of making dungeons the long slog they were meant to be for the reward levels instead of the speed run for max gain everyone was used to.
No, they did it to strongarm people into fractals and raids. Their economist literally stated that outright.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

U.T. Raptor posted:

No, they did it to strongarm people into fractals and raids. Their economist literally stated that outright.

Except fractals don't give good gold rewards either. Though with the fractal changes they are more fun so I find myself doing them much more often.

If raids aren't a complete poo poo show and actually give rewards that are worth the effort it might make the dungeon nerf ok. But I am still pretty sore about it since I made most of my money that way.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Economist doesn't know what he's actually doing; water wet; sky blue; etc.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Vermain posted:

Economist doesn't know what he's actually doing; water wet; sky blue; etc.

I would disagree with this, he knows exactly what he's doing; we just don't like what he usually intends.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Aesis posted:

Pile of dogs.

Artistic rendition of tonight's guild missions:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I just wish they'd either up the token rewards or reduce the price for armor skins.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

So I finished the first collection for Rodgort. (I unlocked all the first tier legendary collections, it makes you find little fun stuff while you're running around the game).

It was fun. You go around killing big things and then tossing their body parts into one of the flame legion's bonfires.

It rewards you with a piece that you need for crafting the first precusor, as well as the recipie for making the other things you need.

When you mouse over the recipe it says that you need either Huntsman, Weaponsmith, or Artificer at 450. Hey, cool, I thought that's handy, I'm on a 500 Weaponsmith. So I used it.

HAHA Just kidding only one one of the things can be done with any of the weapon crafting skills, the other parts can use only 450 Huntsman. It does not say this anywhere and the only way I know this is because I looked it up on the wiki after I couldn't find the recipes anywhere on my character's crafting lists.

This game man. :allears:

Although if I ever planned on actually making it I would probably be more. :argh:

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

whydirt posted:

I just wish they'd either up the token rewards or reduce the price for armor skins.

theres like 3 pieces i want for some future outfits and it really kills my drive to get them because dungeons

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ShadowMar posted:

theres like 3 pieces i want for some future outfits and it really kills my drive to get them because dungeons

Why not PvP reward tracks? They're often faster to get what you want from than dungeons.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

SlothBear posted:

So I finished the first collection for Rodgort. (I unlocked all the first tier legendary collections, it makes you find little fun stuff while you're running around the game).

It was fun. You go around killing big things and then tossing their body parts into one of the flame legion's bonfires.

It rewards you with a piece that you need for crafting the first precusor, as well as the recipie for making the other things you need.

When you mouse over the recipe it says that you need either Huntsman, Weaponsmith, or Artificer at 450. Hey, cool, I thought that's handy, I'm on a 500 Weaponsmith. So I used it.

HAHA Just kidding only one one of the things can be done with any of the weapon crafting skills, the other parts can use only 450 Huntsman. It does not say this anywhere and the only way I know this is because I looked it up on the wiki after I couldn't find the recipes anywhere on my character's crafting lists.

Although if I ever planned on actually making it I would probably be more. :argh:

Well I mean, Rodgort is a torch and huntsman makes torches.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Harrow posted:

Why not PvP reward tracks? They're often faster to get what you want from than dungeons.

i have played pvp all of 1 times

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ShadowMar posted:

That is possibly for the best. When you play PvP, either you win, or you invent new swear words to describe those incompetent fucksacks who you've been saddled with as teammates.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Harrow posted:

That is possibly for the best. When you play PvP, either you win, or you invent new swear words to describe those incompetent fucksacks who you've been saddled with as teammates.

ShadowMar posted:

Heres an idea, instead of getting mad at videogames, put on some chill music and click your buttons at red dudes

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Holy hell. Support sent me another recipe thing to learn within an hour or so. The item descriptions may be misleading but the support is incredible.

They also gave me the Mad Memories skin that didn't get added to my wardrobe years ago.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

SlothBear posted:

Holy hell. Support sent me another recipe thing to learn within an hour or so. The item descriptions may be misleading but the support is incredible.

They also gave me the Mad Memories skin that didn't get added to my wardrobe years ago.

Oh poo poo maybe I should try that. For the mad memories thing anyway. I had both versions, but I must have deleted it before it got unlocked or something.

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Heres an idea, instead of getting mad at videogames, put on some chill music and click your buttons at red dudes

If only we had Bob Ross in perpetuity, we could suggest to players that they chill with the Ross and beat that devil out of the red dudes.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

ShadowMar posted:

To you and anyone else interested in getting into PvP, join Eurozone Danse Party. Goons in the group are usually down to queue, pvp a lot and are good and also not mean.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

SlothBear posted:

For all the children on the official forums throwing tantrums when support doesn't get back to them within an hour, their support team is really good and helpful. I finally sent a ticket about my lag issues a week before HoT release and we had a long back-and-forth session where they'd usually get back to me within a few hours as we tried to pin down the problem. It turned out that in the end my computer had a hard time running the game in fullscreen mode, so chasing after connection issues was a dead end, but they were really nice and helpful about it.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

ShadowMar posted:

You don't have to be any good at pvp to get rewards, you get through the reward tracks pretty fast even if you lose every single match (which is pretty impossible to do even if you are terrible because sometimes your team will be good). I'm not very good at it (the actual fighting part anyway, I'm pretty good at working out what to do strategically I think) and I don't think I'm ever going to be because I'm not dedicated enough to practicing to get good but it's actually kind of relaxing to play like that. I just do my best and if I contribute to a win that's a bonus.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Organza Quiz posted:

You don't have to be any good at pvp to get rewards, you get through the reward tracks pretty fast even if you lose every single match (which is pretty impossible to do even if you are terrible because sometimes your team will be good). I'm not very good at it (the actual fighting part anyway, I'm pretty good at working out what to do strategically I think) and I don't think I'm ever going to be because I'm not dedicated enough to practicing to get good but it's actually kind of relaxing to play like that. I just do my best and if I contribute to a win that's a bonus.

I wish I could say the same :( There's a lot of stuff I want from the PvP reward tracks, but I just find PvP to be the most frustrating thing ever. It always feels like I'm spending a good 3/4 of the time just looking at "You are Defeated" and waiting to respawn, only to go outside the gate and have it happen again. I admit to being bad at the game but some stuff just seems completely unfair and unavoidable, and then of course there's the situations where people just keep ganging up on you. On the plus side, I haven't seen any cursing or rude emotes so at least people aren't rubbing it in.

Maybe I just haven't tried the right class yet. What's the dumbest, tankiest class/build you can make in PvP?

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Minion Master Necro is up there. Dying shouldn't be a problem.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

PvP in this game is really freaking fun and you shouldn't be discouraged from it. If you are getting burst down so fast it's not enjoyable it most likely is a build issue. Make sure you are running amulet/traits that give you defense. Other possibility is you are playing Theif, in which case, oh.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

kater posted:

PvP in this game is really freaking fun and you shouldn't be discouraged from it. If you are getting burst down so fast it's not enjoyable it most likely is a build issue. Make sure you are running amulet/traits that give you defense. Other possibility is you are playing Theif, in which case, oh.

My first foray into PvP was as a thief.. it didn't last long :v: The last few matches, I've been using my Dragonhunter and that class is pretty hilarious in PvP but I'm also really squishy. I've got 9 character slots, so I guess I'm up for trying any class though. Necromancer is the only class I've never tried, but part of the reason why I want to PvP is to get tomes so I can be a ~Reaper~ like everyone else.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

SlothBear posted:

I did the same thing, but you can buy the chest again from the legendary craftsman in LA for 10,000 karma, presumably so you can make multiples of the same precursor.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Thinking about buying HoT and getting back into this since I have a lot of downtime at work. Used to love sPVP and exploring, really interested in the Druid mastery for my Ranger. Are they still doing that lame "you have to log on to get the story missions or pay later" nonsense since season 2?

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

No, you get all the story just for buying the expansion this time.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Your Computer posted:

Maybe I just haven't tried the right class yet. What's the dumbest, tankiest class/build you can make in PvP?

It's not the dumbest or tankiest but my go-to for feeling like I was being reasonably effective at doing stuff without having to put much effort in was LB/GS ranger. Since elite specs became a thing that's felt a lot less effective though, especially since I don't want to go druid. I'm going to guess the answer is going to be reaper although I don't have any experience with necro in pvp at all.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

Amante posted:

No, you get all the story just for buying the expansion this time.

Awesome. Didn't really get a chance to play S1 due to work, so S2 was kind of all over the place for me. Really looking forward to coherently following the storyline this time.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

If I were to make a list of my favorite classes for PvP it would be over half the list so I'm not sure there would be a point. Long Bow Ranger is terrific introduction, does a shitload of damage without requiring you to be anywhere near danger. Minion Reaper is also really safe and effective. I don't think either of those would be a bad place to start. Dragon Hunter is in a great place right now but isn't nearly as auto-pilot as those two. After that, I'd place Ele, Chronomancer, and Scrapper as the highest functioning but most demanding. If you want to press more buttons, thems is what you want.

And yes I specifically went with Ele and not Tempest because holy poo poo that mess is a trap stay away.

I haven't had the best of times getting Warrior to work since HoT, it is too hard to be much more than mulch for the Dragon Hunter blender.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Except fractals don't give good gold rewards either.

I'm curious if this is just because I have the mastery ground out, but fractals have been dropping a constant stream of trophies and T5/6 that sell for solid amounts of gold for me.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

kater posted:

I haven't had the best of times getting Warrior to work since HoT, it is too hard to be much more than mulch for the Dragon Hunter blender.

The biggest problem is that the vast, vast majority of non-hammer/bow weapon skills for Warrior are some variety of "deals damage," and that's all they do. Take a look at any of the Revenant's weapon skills and it's generally something along the lines of, "Shadowsteps you to target while applying Weakness and Chilled and you gain stacks of Might whenever you're blocked," versus the Warrior's, which are generally something along the lines of, "Deal damage and gain Fury for 4s." They bring so little utility to the table compared to almost every other class in the game.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
That's not so bad when you get to the new areas and realize that enemies are virtually immune to a lot of effects like immobilize, chill, etc.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ghostpilot posted:

That's not so bad when you get to the new areas and realize that enemies are virtually immune to a lot of effects like immobilize, chill, etc.

We're talking specifically about sPVP. Any class works fine in PVE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
If you just want to get the reward track items from PVP then join one of the custom arenas that are for doing dailies. After a handful of matches you'll be capped for the day (custom arena advancement is capped at like 2 ranks a day) and can go on about your business, no stressful bullshit involved.

If you just wanna grind to the end as fast as possible then yeah you'll have to do normal unranked/ranked games.

• Locked thread