Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Have you seen the various pictures in this thread of crazy-looking chtulhic highway ramp spaghetti? It's not just for show.

Yeah, I like grids though and by the time things were big enough where traffic became a problem I would basically be bulldozing half the industrial zone to put in a normal roundabout. Lesson learned for next time I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Yo Baronjutter I was just about to ask for a couple of those mods and there you are providing that big ol' post for me :) You're a good goon.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I haven't had too much trouble with traffic, though admittedly there's a certain point where I stop piling on density and I make pretty liberal use of underground roads to cut down on intersections. I also use Traffic++ to make sure emergency vehicles always have quick access to neighborhood blocks and can bypass traffic.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

njsykora posted:

I got this a few days ago out of an urge for city building and my first city burned because the fire trucks were constantly stuck in traffic. How does traffic flow work?
Its a little more general of an overview of how traffic works, but this guide gives an overview of a basic tiered system, which ends up working really well because of the way pathfinding prioritizes along speed limits.

If you're using rigid grids, the important thing to remember is grid connections to 4 lane or 6 lane stuff will make traffic lights, which can be horrible if you are not careful with frequency.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's entirely possible to almost completely ignore highways and avenues and just use 2-lane streets. It doesn't even have to be a grid, make your city as nice looking as you want. Look at old traditional cities and see how they are laid out. A fairly dense network of narrow streets and fairly high density. Realistically the near total lack of parking would prevent people from driving to or from these areas, which the game unfortunately doesn't model, but if you provide good transit in these areas the only vehicles you'll see are deliveries. And of course the flood of immigrants. That's another good tip, people might think they have traffic problems but it's just a temporary flood of immigrants, which only come by car. If your roads are jammed up but only in one direction it's probably just those drat dirty immigrants.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

1. why do I suddenly have two trenches in my city that weren't there before
2. oh jesus how do I get rid of this

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

What mods you got? Some of those roads look overlapping which makes me think maybe it's a no-pillars disaster?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

What mods you got? Some of those roads look overlapping which makes me think maybe it's a no-pillars disaster?

Several, including the no pillars mod, but all of the roads there are at-grade. Or they were before these magic trenches appeared anyway

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Looks like an analemma. :tinfoil: Pretty sure your city is going to be abducted by aliens or something.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Several, including the no pillars mod, but all of the roads there are at-grade. Or they were before these magic trenches appeared anyway

Do you have the new forked no pillars maintained by a new guy or the old one? The only way to get overlapping roads at grade like that is via no-pillars, as I understand, and I've heard the old version is now quite unstable with a lot of newer mods.

What happens if you just delete the trench road? Terrain might just pop back into place. If not, delete and terraform it back? Make sure none of the overlapped roads have been "infected" by the overlappyness, otherwise you can't zone them.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I don't think it's overlapping at the same level though, it looks like ground construction mode gone awry (or not using bridges to cross negative elevation). You've got the trench passing right through the ground-level road even when in collision mode.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Do you have the new forked no pillars maintained by a new guy or the old one? The only way to get overlapping roads at grade like that is via no-pillars, as I understand, and I've heard the old version is now quite unstable with a lot of newer mods.

What happens if you just delete the trench road? Terrain might just pop back into place. If not, delete and terraform it back? Make sure none of the overlapped roads have been "infected" by the overlappyness, otherwise you can't zone them.

No clue which version, but disabling it and mousing around with the bulldozer tool let me actually "bulldoze" the trench (which it saw as a ridiculously long road). I see what you mean by overlapping...the nexus seemed to be at two 2-lane roads where I may have laid down road twice. Thanks!

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Supraluminal posted:

Looks like an analemma. :tinfoil: Pretty sure your city is going to be abducted by aliens or something.

now I have a desire to build a city whose road grid is a transmutation circle

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

Bold Robot posted:

It's cheaper than you think. The expansion is not necessary and actually adds almost nothing interesting - the day/night cycle is from the accompanying free patch. The base game is only $30 and seems to go on sale fairly often at this point, I think there was a 50% off weekend recently.

So if the day/night cycle is part of the free patch what does the expansion even add? Looking at the feature list its just beachfront property and nightclubs?

deadly_pudding posted:

Speaking of mods, Steam Workshop is 100% a good thing for the citybuilding genre, and this game especially. All the mods and custom assets you could possibly want are right there in one place, and install with one click. If they have dependencies, a little popup appears to tell what they all are, and gives you the option to install those, too. You don't have to deal with the little whims and pissing contests associated with the turbospergs who run the various Simcity websites. Steam Workshop is the way to go, and is actually the opposite of a hassle.

I tried using Workshop mods for Civ5 in the past and half the time the download wouldn't work, the mod wouldn't install properly or some other contrivance would crop up to force me to either resubscribe and restart multiple times or use author-provided direct downloads. While the old SimCity sites might have been tedious to deal with regarding dependencies I'll still take a manual install any day over hoping whatever dark gods control Steam grant you their favor.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
Added some more to my city, Population isn't budging much above 96,000, although that might be to do with a fair bit of re-zoning around the railways.

I've started adding some low density housing on the outskirts now,trying to get this to look more natural:

This part of the map got quite hilly, so the houses are kinda terraced

And the west airport. I added this so that there's a more direct train route for tourists into the city.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

SovietPotatoe posted:

So if the day/night cycle is part of the free patch what does the expansion even add? Looking at the feature list its just beachfront property and nightclubs?

Umm off the top of my heads the paid features are:

- The new Leisure (nightclubs) and Tourism (hotels) commercial specializations
- The new beachfront buildings (fishing piers, marinas, etc.)
- Some new transportation buildings like the cargo hub (pretty useful), the bus station (okay I guess), taxis (doesn't do much)
- Prisons I think?
- Maybe some new building models?

None of these things adds very much. It's cool stuff and adds a bit of flavor to your cities but as a new player there is absolutely no reason to buy the expansion if you are just dipping your toes in. I think a lot of people bought the expansion in large part to support the developers.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Baronjutter posted:

Overview of the core. Normally I'm not a fan of skyscrapers but there's something about pre-war towers that I can't resist, hope to see more of these beauties on the workshop. I hate how traffic++ ped paths turn into dirt roads at a distance, been like that since it first came out and he's never fixed it :(

I'd really appreciate if you could link me to these towers, or put them in a collection and link it. I'm starting to build a region that's supposed to be early American cities and towns and it would really help.

SovietPotatoe posted:

I tried using Workshop mods for Civ5 in the past and half the time the download wouldn't work, the mod wouldn't install properly or some other contrivance would crop up to force me to either resubscribe and restart multiple times or use author-provided direct downloads. While the old SimCity sites might have been tedious to deal with regarding dependencies I'll still take a manual install any day over hoping whatever dark gods control Steam grant you their favor.

This sounds more like a Civ 5 problem (or PIBCAK) than a Steam Workshop problem. In fact, just in general by both your posts, it sounds like you have some weird bias against Steam.

But anyway, trust us when we say that it's not like this using Workshop for Cities:Skylines, it works very well, it's amazing, and it's easy provided you read descriptions and use the in-game content manager.

Regarding the latest patch: What exactly are these limit increases? Was there really a previous limit on the amount of buildings, zones, and roads that I just never ran into?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Longbaugh01 posted:

I'd really appreciate if you could link me to these towers, or put them in a collection and link it. I'm starting to build a region that's supposed to be early American cities and towns and it would really help.

Look up Feindbild and sannie01 for lots of pre-war americana

And here's Lind Entertainment http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=507855560

And this guy http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=461378105

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

So I've spent about 7 hours playing and this is the 3rd city I've built. I think this one is working pretty well though I do have some education issues and a few traffic bottlenecks.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 8, 2015

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Baronjutter posted:

Look up Feindbild and sannie01 for lots of pre-war americana

And here's Lind Entertainment http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=507855560

And this guy http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=461378105

Thanks! If you find anymore early American type stuff please let me know. Especially low density. I already had all of Feinbild's stuff, and his Brooklyn stuff is great, but it looks more medium density than low, and I've only found a handful of early American low.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

For some reason I've eschewed public transit before now, despite really enjoying the practice and concept in real life. So I've spent most of the day messing around with bus routes, metro lines and so forth. Holy poo poo do the cims love buses and especially the metro, I've got 1000+ people waiting in my stations, and lots of bus stops with 100+ waiting.

Question:

When I make a new bus line, I want to change the colour. It seems like I have to close the view I'm in, go to the different traffic view, and change the colour there. What am I missing here?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Count Roland posted:

For some reason I've eschewed public transit before now, despite really enjoying the practice and concept in real life. So I've spent most of the day messing around with bus routes, metro lines and so forth. Holy poo poo do the cims love buses and especially the metro, I've got 1000+ people waiting in my stations, and lots of bus stops with 100+ waiting.

Question:

When I make a new bus line, I want to change the colour. It seems like I have to close the view I'm in, go to the different traffic view, and change the colour there. What am I missing here?

You can click on a bus on the route and change the colour, but you have to actually complete the line and have the buses running on it (ie they have to have left the bus depot to go drive to the line) before you can do it that way.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

vyelkin posted:

You can click on a bus on the route and change the colour, but you have to actually complete the line and have the buses running on it (ie they have to have left the bus depot to go drive to the line) before you can do it that way.

Its such a small thing, but I've done the process probably 50 times today and it gets annoying.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Count Roland posted:

Its such a small thing, but I've done the process probably 50 times today and it gets annoying.

Get Extended Public Transport (and possibly IPT ) to get access to the lines far more easily. If you don't care about colour coordination and just want some differentiation, Auto Line Color will do it for you.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Longbaugh01 posted:

Thanks! If you find anymore early American type stuff please let me know. Especially low density. I already had all of Feinbild's stuff, and his Brooklyn stuff is great, but it looks more medium density than low, and I've only found a handful of early American low.

Yeah in my mind low density = single family homes. I'd love to use his "low density" stuff but I wish I could make it grow in high instead.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Longbaugh01 posted:

This sounds more like a Civ 5 problem (or PIBCAK) than a Steam Workshop problem. In fact, just in general by both your posts, it sounds like you have some weird bias against Steam.

But anyway, trust us when we say that it's not like this using Workshop for Cities:Skylines, it works very well, it's amazing, and it's easy provided you read descriptions and use the in-game content manager.

So I finally caved and got this game and installed a bunch of mods. Trying to install two maps didn't work, they showed up in the content manager but didn't download for some reason, so I had to un- and resubscribe, restart Steam, restart the game, etc. multiple times until it finally decided to work. I don't have an inherent bias against Steam or not more than against any other DRM anyways, I simply dislike the intrusiveness of it, how it forces updates down your throat even though you might not want them because they'll break things.

My problem with Steam Workshop is that compared to other automatic mod managers like Nexus mod manager it offers no transparency or possibilities for manual download at all. The amount of bugs and failed installs seems about the same but if Nexus screws up you can open a trace log to see what the problem is or do a manual install, with Workshop all you can do is switch it on and off again and hope whatever broke it goes away after you do it enough times. The whole Steam mantra of hiding everything from the user and handing everything over to a (highly fallible) automated process is simply out of touch with reality because sooner or later it will fail and you'll have to manually un-gently caress it. Its like driving a car with the hood welded shut, its fine so long as the engine works as intended, but if it ever gives out while you're in the middle of nowhere you're screwed.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Is this thread the right place to criticize Steam Workshop, I wonder?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

SovietPotatoe posted:

So I played a lot of SimCity 4 back in the day and I've been meaning to scratch that particular city management itch again for a while now. After looking into this game it seems to me as if the main differences are that it doesn't have regions but has curved roads and some weird progression system. Assuming I don't care about spaghetti roads and leveling up my mayor skills, is there anything this game offers to justify no regions + $45 to purchase it and the expansion + the hassle of having to use Fascist malware Steam Workshop Fascist malware?

SovietPotatoe posted:

SovietPotatoe posted:

So I finally caved and got this game and installed a bunch of mods. Trying to install two maps didn't work, they showed up in the content manager but didn't download for some reason, so I had to un- and resubscribe, restart Steam, restart the game, etc. multiple times until it finally decided to work. I don't have an inherent bias against Steam or not more than against any other DRM anyways, I simply dislike the intrusiveness of it, how it forces updates down your throat even though you might not want them because they'll break things.

My problem with Steam Workshop is that compared to other automatic mod managers like Nexus mod manager it offers no transparency or possibilities for manual download at all. The amount of bugs and failed installs seems about the same but if Nexus screws up you can open a trace log to see what the problem is or do a manual install, with Workshop all you can do is switch it on and off again and hope whatever broke it goes away after you do it enough times. The whole Steam mantra of hiding everything from the user and handing everything over to a (highly fallible) automated process is simply out of touch with reality because sooner or later it will fail and you'll have to manually un-gently caress it. Its like driving a car with the hood welded shut, its fine so long as the engine works as intended, but if it ever gives out while you're in the middle of nowhere you're screwed.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

SovietPotatoe posted:

Wow, well I have never had any of those issues, and have never heard of anyone else in this thread or elsewhere have those issues, so that's really something!

Also, you know you can disable auto-updates for games, right? (Maybe not workshop updates, but then again I've never had an issue with those! ((or game updates for that matter)))

Quoting all of these, because this is a perfect post, and may be the Post Of The Year.

Anyway, gently caress plopping those farm pieces! They don't even conform to the grid which makes them finicky as hell to deal with. I give up on that! I think it was Baronjutter who said they wished you could zone wide swaths of farmland, and boy, do I agree with you!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've been using steam workshop since they rolled it out as a beta thing for TF2 and uh, it's always worked 100% flawlessly since, either fall of 2011 or mid-2012 whenever they launched it.

Maybe you had bad luck installing and running the game, and loading new assets while the game/map was loaded, all on the first go? I suppose ideally you would want all that to just work out of the box, but it's not totally unreasonable to load the game once, exit out, then exit steam, then try loading assets. If it's still not working then the problem is probably with you.

I'm running C:S over the network with it installed on a network share, which is pretty hosed up, but it seems to work ok somehow! What weird poo poo do you have on your system that might be impacting it? Maybe we can help if you give us more info. Saying "hey guys this poo poo is broken!" without giving a clear picture of your situation isn't going to get you a wheelbarrow-load of sympathy when you're the only guy bitching.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

SovietPotatoe posted:

You probably have updates set to only happen at a certain time. When I had limited peak time internet, I set updates to only happen between midnight and 8am and this meant workshop items wouldn't download until then either. Also as others said, you can set what games update. You can tell them to never update or to ask your permission before they do.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Hadlock posted:

What weird poo poo do you have on your system that might be impacting it? Maybe we can help if you give us more info. Saying "hey guys this poo poo is broken!" without giving a clear picture of your situation isn't going to get you a wheelbarrow-load of sympathy when you're the only guy bitching.

The only thing out of the ordinary is that I have an SSD as C: drive and when I set it up I moved some stuff like the Users or Temp folder to the D: drive to save on memory but I haven't had any issues with this setup. Otherwise I keep my system pretty clean and I never had any issues in the 5 or so years I had it. I don't really expect sympathy or anything, someone insinuated I had a bias against Steam and I explained that my dislike was the result of personal dislike of their update policy and my personal experiences with their services. If your experiences differ you're free to form your own opinion on that but it does not disqualify my own nor does the fact nobody reported such issues here in this thread mean they don't exist.

kemikalkadet posted:

You probably have updates set to only happen at a certain time. When I had limited peak time internet, I set updates to only happen between midnight and 8am and this meant workshop items wouldn't download until then either. Also as others said, you can set what games update. You can tell them to never update or to ask your permission before they do.

Nope, I have no download restrictions set and I don't think I changed any of the default settings except disabling cloud saves. And no, you can't disable auto-updates, you can only choose between update immediately on Steam launch and update on game launch. Either way, if a game requires Steam DRM you can't run it without being forced to update.

I think at this point this general Steam talk is going too far off-topic so let's just agree to disagree and leave it there.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I've had this for a while, so I figured I'd ask all of you good goons for a little bit of advice. What the hell do you do about the godawful opening section of road you get right at the start of the game? Build around it until you can grab a tile nearer the highway then rebuild, or what?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I've had this for a while, so I figured I'd ask all of you good goons for a little bit of advice. What the hell do you do about the godawful opening section of road you get right at the start of the game? Build around it until you can grab a tile nearer the highway then rebuild, or what?

Extend both bits of highway clear to the other side of your opening tile using basic 2-way roads, and build your starter city in such a way as they can be upgraded to highways with frontage roads once you've access to the requisite tech.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

How were Simcity 4 regions better than having a bigger map? I loving hated that about the game.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Decrepus posted:

How were Simcity 4 regions better than having a bigger map? I loving hated that about the game.

With SC4 I could build an industrial hellscape in one tile and the pollution never bled into the suburban paradises nextdoor in another tile.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Decrepus posted:

There was something cool about trying to build out a huge and realistic region, and I don't particularly like having highway, rail, and water connections (and placement of them) forced upon me, but I still thank the universe every day that Skylines exists.

In a related note, my newest project is a build of early-American villages/towns/cities on the same map, and how I started was Green Plains (it was inspired by the D.C. area), unlock all, all 25 tiles, unlimited money. Then I proceeded to destroy ever bit of highway and rail except where they come into the map and the highway on the right side running north-south and it's starter connection, built my first town at the point where the 2 rivers flow into the bay, ran a dirt road up to the starter connection, built a passenger harbor in town, hit play, people and businesses moved in.

I realized at that point that no one moved in by road, they just came in through the harbor. The only thing using the highway was incoming commercial goods, so I built a cargo rail terminal in town connected to the only rail connection that only had to go over land, which was the northern one.

...I then proceeded to destroy the remaining highway and that dirt road connection...

It works fine. People move in via the harbor. Goods come in through the rail cargo station. Now there's a second town built on the eastern bank of the lake north of the first town. It has its own cargo rail line coming in from that northern connection, and then a completely separate passenger rail line connecting it to the first town. People move in through the harbor, then passenger rail.

All proof of concept that you don't even need highway at all at least in earlier stages. I even think I could've gotten away with not having highway at all from the start.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

I think I've hit critical mass where my computer can't run my city anymore. Nearly every building has dead bodies piling up, all the commercial is complaining about no goods to sell and crime is rampantly high in random spots. Not sure whether to abandon and start a new city or just pretend this problem doesn't exist and continue prettying up the place.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

kemikalkadet posted:

just pretend this problem doesn't exist and continue prettying up the place.

realcitygovernment.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

kemikalkadet posted:

I think I've hit critical mass where my computer can't run my city anymore.

I think it's actually critical mass where C:S can't run your city anymore because it's reached the hard agent limit, but, yep.