Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Vulture Culture posted:

or just boil a pot of water on the stove

This is a good idea; when the stones fall into the pot, you can make stone soup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Cant be that hard to do!

:staredog:

I like how the manufacturer made no attempt at all to hide the edge of the squares. Could have made it some kind of tessellated pattern, but no, glaring vertical and horizontal lines in that wall.

Although, if I had to install that abomination, I would have at least put the small strip at the top so the overhang of the upper cabinet hides it to some extent.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think the best bet would be to destroy one section so you have a pile of loose stones, and between each section, fiddle the stones in to loosen up the line a bit.

It'd still look like poo poo though. But at least it wouldn't look like gridded poo poo.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I think the pebble look is great on the floor of a shower pan but anywhere else is just a big wtf? Also they probably didn't want to spring for the more expensive all white or black or blue or whatever rock sets so those are the cheapest bottom of the barrel rocks possible. I think i've seen them at home depot.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What do they cover the pebbles in? The picture earlier in the thread had them embedded in grout, but if they're on a backing sheet that's not an option, is it?

I mean you'd have to embed them in something to leave a (mostly) flat surface or else you'd never be able to clean that poo poo.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

They'll just use the hot glue gun to fill in between the stones.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 9, 2015

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

GotLag posted:

What do they cover the pebbles in? The picture earlier in the thread had them embedded in grout, but if they're on a backing sheet that's not an option, is it?

I mean you'd have to embed them in something to leave a (mostly) flat surface or else you'd never be able to clean that poo poo.

No, you can grout that. You'll put thinset on the wall, stick the mesh side of the sheet on that and then grout. Thinset is a concrete product that doesn't have to look pretty and is therefore inexpensive, while grout has standards of appearance and costs more.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

They'll just use the got glue gun to fill in between the stones.

I just threw up in my mouth.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Home Depot sells sticky sheets for small wall tile, no mastic necessary. I think it's one of those stupid things.

Edit: yep
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Smart-Tiles-10-13-in-x-10-in-Peel-and-Stick-Mosaic-Decorative-Wall-Tile-in-Bellagio-6-Pack-SM1034-6/203279176

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I'm moving to Richmond, VA and toured some of those fancy converted loft apartments today that typically cost an arm and a leg. The last building I toured appears to have been renovated by drunk carpenters. The floors were sloped at at least a 30-degree angle. To the point where I'm sure if I put any sort of chair or table with wheels it would slide down. Apparently the warehouse itself was built on a hill and when they added new flooring and did the conversion a few years ago they decided that using a level was for pussies. The hallways were hilly, even the elevator was slightly tilted :psyduck:. How the hell did this get approved? And how are people paying out the nose for rent at this place? I toured another similar loft right next door, built on the same hill, and its floors were perfectly normal, so someone really hosed up here.

It's kind of hard to tell in the photos since it just looks like I tilted the camera, but I swear my phone is level. It was uphill to the window.

Still better than than the basement apartment/ that had its windows all sealed so they were inoperable, including the one in the bedroom clearly meant to be a fire escape.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Well are you going to rent it?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

packetmantis posted:

Well are you going to rent it?

Hell naw, I'd wind up with vertigo. Also the leasing agent helpfully informed me that the "restaurant" below was in fact a nightclub and the bass was clearly audible upstairs.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Youth Decay posted:

Hell naw, I'd wind up with vertigo. Also the leasing agent helpfully informed me that the "restaurant" below was in fact a nightclub and the bass was clearly audible upstairs.

Doesn't take long to get your sea legs.
The dump I'm living in right now (for another 2 weeks) is a wooden house on uneven stumps - it's 100 years old and all wonky. I'm used to doors not shutting, swinging open, sticking*, and anything I drop go rolling far away.
That's just the floor. The ceilings! welp... E: Let me tell you about horse hair lath and plaster walls.

*some doors were removed because the frame got so out of square they were inoperable.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 10, 2015

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Activity for the day: Plot the footprint of this house for setout

Also the plans are slightly off the stated scale

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Those fonts and dimension strings are triggering me as a draftsman.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The designer must have had a bad day. There are 3 houses on this site, The first one is perfect, got all dimensions with totals so guys like me don't have to deal with interior wall bullshit, the second one is missing the depth and width for an entryway, nbd, and then this one is the other one.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If you've got that in PDF or something I could re-dim it for you in a second.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

PMed and sorted... :3:

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Jaguars! posted:

Activity for the day: Plot the footprint of this house for setout

Also the plans are slightly off the stated scale

As someone who doesn't know anything about this, what are the "210"s and "90"s all over the place for?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The exterior walls seem to be 210mm thick. Most of the dims are going from inside to inside face of walls and then tiny dims showing the total wall thickness. But sometimes the dims are from the middle of the wall and the interior walls seem to be 90mm thick.

Dims are usually always a pain in the rear end to read because architects hate construction crews, but these were specially terrible to read. There's also quite a few "schools" of how to dimension things and it can really depend on taste but also who/what the drawings are for.

This was my attempt to make better ones, or at least ones that when used together answer some questions.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Yep, width of interior and exterior walls in milimeters. More important is that it's impossible to plot from the dimensions given because we don't know how long the lounge is, how deep the entryway is, or anything about how the kitchen wall relates to the garage. (We know how wide the kitchen is, whoop de loving do!)

Here's the front house on site:

From a surveyor's point of view this is awesome, I just use the outside set of dimensions and I have the outline of the house in 5 minutes, and since the end point coincides with the start point, I know that the designer hasn't hosed up any of the dimensions.

Here's a migraine from a few years ago. (Baronjutter, avert your eyes.)They needed the position of the lift shaft marked on the ground. How far from out from, and how far along, is the lift shaft compared to the wall at the bottom of the page? Hope you enjoy counting toilet stalls! I think I eventually got a foundation plan that showed how far it was left right, but I never got anything else stating how far from the wall it was.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
Stolen from another thread, I thought it belonged here.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/11/police-discover-worst-cable-management-situation-ever-following-sydney-marijuana-bust/

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

Those fonts and dimension strings are triggering me as a draftsman.

Is that Comic Sans?

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

kid sinister posted:

Is that Comic Sans?
You might say it was...
plans sans pitié

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Xlorp posted:

You might say it was...
plans sans pitié

Can you translate for those of us that don't speak internets gay?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Something about it looks like a Beksinski painting to me.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Where's the huge mechanical spider that made it?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

there wolf posted:

Where's the huge mechanical spider that made it?
Hiding behind a clock in your living room, no doubt.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

kid sinister posted:

Can you translate for those of us that don't speak internets gay?

Plans, the subject of the picture, rhymes with sans once you dump the serif
Sans pitié could passably translate as brutal, an appropriate description for some construction aesthetics

Overall an efficient punne, or play upon words

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Xlorp posted:

Plans, the subject of the picture, rhymes with sans once you dump the serif
Sans pitié could passably translate as brutal, an appropriate description for some construction aesthetics

Overall an efficient punne, or play upon words

"Plans serif" would be a pun.

"Plans pitié" would also be a pun (that practically nobody would get).

"Plans sans pitié" just translates to "Plans without mercy," which is not a pun at all (although it would be an okay name for a metal band, I suppose).

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Jaguars! posted:

Here's a migraine from a few years ago. (Baronjutter, avert your eyes.)They needed the position of the lift shaft marked on the ground. How far from out from, and how far along, is the lift shaft compared to the wall at the bottom of the page? Hope you enjoy counting toilet stalls! I think I eventually got a foundation plan that showed how far it was left right, but I never got anything else stating how far from the wall it was.

If I was still in construction (flooring sub), I would refuse to bid on this. As I'm in commercial real estate now, I might look at these, but this is terrible and I hope someone gives the architect poo poo for that.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

this is unchristian

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

crazypeltast52 posted:

If I was still in construction (flooring sub), I would refuse to bid on this. As I'm in commercial real estate now, I might look at these, but this is terrible and I hope someone gives the architect poo poo for that.

If I knew then what I know now, I'd have done the same.

I laid out the columns for the main building as well, it was a steel frame. The guys running it had a bad habit of calling us and expecting us to be on site in one or two days, and being in the middle of the financial crisis, we enabled them. The day before the columns were set to be erected, they called me and told me they'd checked it and it was all wrong. (I distinctly remember the all). It was the biggest project I'd ever done at the time so I was making GBS threads myself.

The upshot was I went and checked everything with the site's #2 guy acting as my assistant and everything's drat near perfect. Turned out they'd decided to check a 60mx120m building using a 50m fiberglass measuring tape in one of the windiest sites in town, and then got all worried that the measurements are half a meter off what the plans say they should be.

The next time I was there, I asked how the frames had gone and they said that the worst one was 20mm out and the framing guys had found the whole job really easy. So what started as me nearly wetting my pants turned out to be a nice confidence booster.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

crazypeltast52 posted:

Actual estimating software is a boon for thinks like this. It's like a paint by numbers, the only skill is in recognizing how and where you'll have waste and rounding up things like adhesive and applying the right production rates.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
My guess is that the architect or draftsman used to be a machinist or mechanical engineer. By dimensioning like that, you're establishing what points are your origin for machining operations; it makes the tolerance stacking a lot easier and to some extent defines how the machinist should be doing their setups.

Why they'd think that was appropriate for an architectural print is beyond me.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Tim Thomas posted:

My guess is that the architect or draftsman used to be a machinist or mechanical engineer. By dimensioning like that, you're establishing what points are your origin for machining operations; it makes the tolerance stacking a lot easier and to some extent defines how the machinist should be doing their setups.

Why they'd think that was appropriate for an architectural print is beyond me.

What, you don't mill your house out of a single block of aluminum?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Aaand now I have another item for my "won the lottery" to-do list.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Splizwarf posted:

Aaand now I have another item for my "won the lottery" to-do list.

If so, at least make it a submarine or something.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

canyoneer posted:

If so, at least make it a submarine or something.

http://www.migaloo-submarines.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

StormDrain posted:

Actual estimating software is a boon for thinks like this. It's like a paint by numbers, the only skill is in recognizing how and where you'll have waste and rounding up things like adhesive and applying the right production rates.

We looked at PlanSwift and I think MeasureSquare? Is measuresquare a thing? I was researching the software and we went with another provider, but that software definitely helped a bunch.