Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
I really like this episode. Glad I could be hip enough to like Night Vale before it was cool. I hope they don't cancel it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
The artist for the Tarot Deck is pretty awesome! She did cover art for a friend of mine's book earlier this year, and I'm thrilled to see her artwork on the cards! :dance:

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I bought the book today and the employee informed me that they were placed on the shelf by a group of faceless men who were hissing the whole time. Made me smile. Can't wait to start reading it.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Welp, I'm glad I listened to today's episode at work during the daytime. :cry:

Also I totally checked out that "what's on the other side of the world" website. Nothing but ocean, so that throws out my plan to dig my way to Australia next week.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Oh gosh.

https://twitter.com/CecilBaldwinIII/status/661253132077273088

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
That's goddamn gorgeous.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I caved and bought a deck. They're too beautiful not to!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

The woman that did the art is from Kansas City. She's in charge of our local Nigh Vale fan group. She's a wonderful person and I'm so happy that this finally go picked up. I think she's worked on this for something like 2 years now.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

RedMagus posted:

Welp, I'm glad I listened to today's episode at work during the daytime. :cry:

Sure am glad I listened to it alone after dark. No, not glad. The opposite of glad.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Attempted sniper under flight path delayed Cecil's flight out of San Diego. :ohdear:

also, lol

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
My Kindle started telling me I had 1 minute left in the chapter/20 minutes left in the book. It stayed like that until the end, about 2hrs later. Time doesn't work in the Night Vale ebook, either!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

MariusLecter posted:

Attempted sniper under flight path delayed Cecil's flight out of San Diego. :ohdear:

when the pilot got on the intercom to announce the delay he made it sound like sniper delays were a normal thing

anyway we the live show crew are all safe in denver now and im going to go get high

Caros
May 14, 2008

Earwicker posted:

when the pilot got on the intercom to announce the delay he made it sound like sniper delays were a normal thing

anyway we the live show crew are all safe in denver now and im going to go get high

Coming out of San Diego? Oh yeah all the time. It's like a shootier form of geese down there.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

God, the Crowdsurge ticketing fee is obscene. THIRTEEN DOLLARS on 35 dollar tickets. Goddamn rent-seeking parasites.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
If I just signed up as a monthly donator is there a way to get previous show notes?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

If I just signed up as a monthly donator is there a way to get previous show notes?

no, that would be a ton of work to try to catch everyone up each time someone asked us. sorry, and thanks for donating!

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

maxnmona posted:

no, that would be a ton of work to try to catch everyone up each time someone asked us. sorry, and thanks for donating!

No worries! Thanks for producing my favorite podcast!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Y'know, Maxnmona, all the donation management stuff would be easier if you used Patreon or a similar preexisting infrastructure.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

Y'know, Maxnmona, all the donation management stuff would be easier if you used Patreon or a similar preexisting infrastructure.

2 things: I don't think Patreon was a thing when they started looking for dollars, and I'd assume at the scale they operate, it's might actually worth it to use their own infrastructure.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Was the 1 of 1.5 people who clapped for SA at the book interview :v: Great talk! Still waiting in a huge line to get my book signed.

cwinkle
Mar 7, 2008
Heard an interview with you guys on NPR driving home for Thanksgiving yesterday. I had no idea about this or its connection here. The clips they played were good I will check this out.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Today's episode was great :allears: Who played the Emissary?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Get Parsons in more often, he's a goddamn rockstar.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Welcome to Night Vale: The Most Tragic Slide Whistle

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
This is kind of a weird question, but was the character of Cecil fleshed out before you had a voice for him, or was he developed in tandem with the talky guy? I've only just gotten into this, about 20 episodes in. Had some highs, had some lows, kind of wish the surreal humor of the first few episodes was still the focus but I'm happily engaged in the weird character antics of Cecil and Carlos and company. Was Cecil envisioned from the start as gay, or was that an addition from the actor? Do you guys plot out things in advance, and have you been doing so from the start?

Is Cecil really just a mad man alone in a radio room imagining Night Vale? Or is Night Vale imagining a mad man in a radio room? :ohdear:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm like 75 percent sure Cecil only became Cecil because everyone kept referring to the narrator as Cecil early on

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

BottledBodhisvata posted:

This is kind of a weird question, but was the character of Cecil fleshed out before you had a voice for him, or was he developed in tandem with the talky guy? I've only just gotten into this, about 20 episodes in. Had some highs, had some lows, kind of wish the surreal humor of the first few episodes was still the focus but I'm happily engaged in the weird character antics of Cecil and Carlos and company. Was Cecil envisioned from the start as gay, or was that an addition from the actor? Do you guys plot out things in advance, and have you been doing so from the start?

Is Cecil really just a mad man alone in a radio room imagining Night Vale? Or is Night Vale imagining a mad man in a radio room? :ohdear:

I think I know how maxnmona will answer this question:

Yes.

He's always very vague about this kind of stuff :v:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
The fact that he's referred to as "the voice of Night Vale" says to me that he was originally supposed to be just the narrator and gradually developed into a character. That's happened to a lot of incidental characters over time. Remember when Steve Carlsberg was just some random guy that Cecil hated for no good reason? On one hand, that was a lot funnier, but on the other I like that he's grown into something more complex.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Kazy posted:

One of the best episodes yet.

Basimah :unsmith:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Kazy posted:

I did

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Absolutely stellar episode and a return to form of what I really enjoy from the show.

If I can ask, and I don't want to sound like a Tumblr-ite, but can you share some thoughts on the appropriateness of white male authors writing non-white, non-male perspectives. I see this with Ms. Marvel's portrayal as a Muslim woman too, that there seems to be a tendency to want to portray "assimilated" characters, especially from progressive writers that want to set themselves against the disgraceful and insane rhetoric of the Islamaphobic right. Could (should?) Basimah been portrayed as willingly (as a matter of her own faith, etc.) wearing a niqab and / or burqa for example? I worry sometimes that presentations like this have a subtext of "this is how to be a good westerner." I don't want to suggest that one portrayal is more diverse than another, or claim any moral superiority here.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Great episode. The new characters were a lot of fun, but my most excited moment was another mention of The Distant Prince. I've been hoping for a while that him and The Smiling God were the beginning of a whole Lovecraft style pantheon, so I was stoked to hear him come up again.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

If I can ask, and I don't want to sound like a Tumblr-ite

Why do people have this weird compulsion to apologize for caring about other people's feelings?

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 2, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jurgan posted:

Why do people have this weird compulsion to apologize for caring about other people's feelings?

Because sadly "respect other people" is becoming the exception rather than the rule.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
If I may try to clarify, I'm not looking to disclaim a desire for inclusivity and representation in fiction. But, I also understand that WTNV came under some contention earlier over a debate that charged that portrayals of Cecil as being white were inherently racist because of a particular line the character spoke. I bring this up as an example because the debate became heated and was in part directed at the writers and actors, not as a matter of tone policing or to position myself on one side or another.

I wanted to ask about Basimah's portrayal as perhaps more "assimilated" to Western ideologies and the considerations that might entail for white, male, western writers. I apologize if this inquiry is out of line or undeserving of an answer. I hoped to broaden my view, but if, in doing so my privilege caused aggression I sincerely apologize.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ZorajitZorajit posted:

But, I also understand that WTNV came under some contention earlier over a debate that charged that portrayals of Cecil as being white were inherently racist because of a particular line the character spoke.

I'm pretty sure Cecil's race has never been specified or hinted at in the podcast at all.

The tendency for some people to assume that any given character is white unless otherwise specified - i.e. the idea that white is a "default" - is certainly a tendency that often has racist elements, but that has nothing to do with the writers, nor with NV in particular. Hell sometimes people will still assume a character is white even when the writer specifically says otherwise as happened with the Hunger Games books and then films.

As for Basimah I think it's a bit much to say that you have any idea how "assimilated" she is from that portrayal, considering she doesn't really discuss her thoughts on religion or culture with much depth at all and is there to talk about her feelings for her father. The only mention of her religion is more as a detail than as a statement on her actual ideology.

For example, personally I sometimes wear a yarmulke on religiously appropriate occasions, but usually I don't. There are other Jews who wear them every day, to the office or to school or whatever. What does that tell you about my actual spirituality or my thoughts on Jewish culture vs. assimilation into mainstream gentile culture? It really tells you practically nothing at all, it's a superficial detail - sure it might give a hint one way or the other but doesn't nearly approach the depth of actually getting at someone's ideology.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Earwicker posted:

I'm pretty sure Cecil's race has never been specified or hinted at in the podcast at all.

In "History Week," it says that the first white people arrived in Night Vale in 1745. In "[Best Of?]" it says Cecil was in the desert that would become Night Vale and saw people arriving "from back east" to found the town. Some people read this as Cecil was living in the area before "the first white people arrived" and therefore could not, himself, be white. "[Best Of?]" was such a confusing episode (and one that I personally didn't care for) that I hesitate to read too much into it. We don't know what it really meant- it could be Cecil time-traveled back to the founding, for instance. Anyway, that's why some people assume Cecil is canonically POC.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It doesn't really matter. :shrug:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
[Best Of] is fantastic and everyone trying to jam the purposely confusing episode into canon for deep revelations is a ding dong

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Jurgan posted:

In "History Week," it says that the first white people arrived in Night Vale in 1745. In "[Best Of?]" it says Cecil was in the desert that would become Night Vale and saw people arriving "from back east" to found the town. Some people read this as Cecil was living in the area before "the first white people arrived" and therefore could not, himself, be white. "[Best Of?]" was such a confusing episode (and one that I personally didn't care for) that I hesitate to read too much into it. We don't know what it really meant- it could be Cecil time-traveled back to the founding, for instance. Anyway, that's why some people assume Cecil is canonically POC.

Well there are a lot of other assumptions that you'd have to make for that to work out such as time functioning linearly, Cecil being over 200 years old, tape recorders/radio existing in 1745, etc.. and none of these things are established one way or another.

Literally The Worst posted:

[Best Of] is fantastic and everyone trying to jam the purposely confusing episode into canon for deep revelations is a ding dong

it caused people to post screenshots of spectrum analysis programs looking at my "tape click" sound and I enjoyed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I will assume until told differently (at which point I will place fingers in ears and shout la la la i am not listening and continue to assume) that Cecil is a salt vampire from that one Star Trek episode and that he looks different to everyone that sees him.

If you disagree you are a racist against salt vampires.