Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Liberals have always handed the guns over to the right whenever the left seems to be gaining power.

Which is why I am so adamant against gun control. When those in power start going for guns they do so to disarm those who have nothing left but guns. The New Dems want us to be consumed by culture war wedge issues rather then what really matters, the ability of our citizens to stay above water and our ability to prevent collapse due to their paymasters. Its time we told them to gently caress off to Bloomberg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005

SedanChair posted:

I like to think of it like this: it's all the racism from everywhere else in America, plus a fat giggling pervert on a porch in a white suit, drinking tea, ogling his own kids toiling in the field.

Why are you calling Southerners pedophiles what is wrong with you

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
There are no issues but social issues.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

Which is why I am so adamant against gun control. When those in power start going for guns they do so to disarm those who have nothing left but guns. The New Dems want us to be consumed by culture war wedge issues rather then what really matters, the ability of our citizens to stay above water and our ability to prevent collapse due to their paymasters. Its time we told them to gently caress off to Bloomberg.

Just because you have paranoid conspiracies doesn't mean you're right.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

JonathonSpectre posted:

a delicious glass of sweet tea?

No such thing exists, or can exist.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

alpha_destroy posted:

gently caress, I meant Delaware. I am so stupid. Still. I wouldn't generally call Delaware the south even if it was a slave state.

Meh, speaking as a resident, I suppose the southernmost county Sussex (and maybe Kent right above it) could be accurately lumped into the South while New Castle County is pretty firmly Northern. Sussex was the primary area good ol' Christine O'donnell pulled local support from, which should tell you what you need to know right there politically. Fortunately most of the population is in New Castle so the Democrats/"moderate" Republicans (read - the big business side, not the socially regressive nuts) dominate politics here.

Sylphid posted:

If Wiki is to be believed, slavery was extremely marginal in Delaware by the time of the Civil War anyway.

Again, pretty much the farms in Sussex used it if memory serves. I recall the governor of Delaware spoke out strongly against secession at the time, but given Delaware was an itty bitty state surrounded by Union-supporting Maryland and back then DuPont was still a major gunpowder manufacturer, the odds of Delaware being allowed to successfully secede were zero in any event.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Captain_Maclaine posted:

No such thing exists, or can exist.

How about if it were sweetened with maple syrup?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

quote:

I like to think of it like this: it's all the racism from everywhere else in America, plus a fat giggling pervert on a porch in a white suit, drinking tea, ogling his own kids toiling in the field. 

The White suit is optional

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cythereal posted:

There are racist assholes throughout the entire drat country. Pretending systemic and institutional racism are a uniquely "Southern" problem is disingenuous at best of times.

It doesn't get much more institutional than flying a treason flag on state property out of spite in reaction to the 1964 CRA.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cheekio posted:

So when are we expected to see big downturns in Sander's campaign? He's doing fine against Hillary in Primary states, is it just supposed to keep looking better until 'surprise skewed polls' Hillary wins Iowa?

He's doing between 10 and 50 percentage points under Hillary most of the time depending on the particular early primary state. New Hampshire had him above Hillary for a while but now he's fallen there to a close amount.

Many early primary states have 15% thresholds to get any delegates, and he's currently projected to not meet that in them, especially on super tuesday.

Crowsbeak posted:

You're against it because of half understood conspiracy theories? I guess you're honest at least.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

He's doing between 10 and 50 percentage points under Hillary most of the time depending on the particular early primary state. New Hampshire had him above Hillary for a while but now he's fallen there to a close amount.

Many early primary states have 15% thresholds to get any delegates, and he's currently projected to not meet that in them, especially on super tuesday.

You need to spend more time at /r/sandersforpresident. According to the Berniebros on reddit Bernie is polling ahead of Obama at this same point in the primary season so it's a foregone conclusion that he will win a decisive victory over Hillary.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Remember everyone wanting economic issues to matter over bathrooms and gun control makes you a conspiracy theorist.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

While the discussion has been an interesting one, I must confess that my assertion that Missouri is part of the deep south was erroneous. I consider it a southern state despite how northerly it is because of traditional boundaries, and also because it's like Florida Man Lite as far as news coverage goes. It's definitely not deep south though. I was posting tired and my old habit of confusing Missouri with Mississippi location-wise sprang up.

The sweet tea test is bunk now. You can walk into any Steak N Shake or a hundred other chain restaurants in the north and get a "proper" sweet tea, because all that is is just lovely tea with as much sugar as you can mix in while it is hot, because if it's hot you can mix more in. The only reliable tests are the dogwhistle per sentence ratio test and the fried chicken test.

edit - also they're SEC

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

PUGGERNAUT posted:

This is amazing.

This is probably gonna be the thing that finally gets people to shut up and pay attention at how bad things are in Columbia. Anything I can do as a graduate to show support? Like do you know of any fundraisers, rallies, etc?

Write about it. Post to Facebook about it. Talk to other alumni and to people who aren't alumni about it.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Luigi Thirty posted:

Remember the story a week or so ago about the Idaho rancher who got into a shootout with cops over his dying bull? Turns out that wasn't the whole story.

The cops shot the bull with M16s but didn't kill it because they are dumb. The rancher arrived and took out his rifle to finish off the bull cleanly. One officer turned him around by grabbing the rifle while he had his finger on the trigger and he incidentally pointed his rifle at the officers and may have accidentally fired it pointed at the ground, which was enough for them to light him up and put a gun to his nephew's head. Oh and his wife had a heart attack at the scene.

Is calling for the brutal murder of all police still frowned upon?

They're leaving out some details here. One was the damage to the farmer's rifle: straight up Enemy at the Gates right through the scope.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Epic High Five posted:

While the discussion has been an interesting one, I must confess that my assertion that Missouri is part of the deep south was erroneous. I consider it a southern state despite how northerly it is because of traditional boundaries, and also because it's like Florida Man Lite as far as news coverage goes. It's definitely not deep south though.

Missouri is southern.

But south of I-70? Deep south.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If your football program constantly trolls the NFL draft with garbage "dual threat" quarterbacks who can't handle pro ball then you're in the South.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Hey how come Obama's birth certificate was a big deal but I'm not seeing any other President or candidate's birth certificate, either before Obama or since? Where are the birth certificates?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Zwabu posted:

Hey how come Obama's birth certificate was a big deal but I'm not seeing any other President or candidate's birth certificate, either before Obama or since? Where are the birth certificates?

I suspect if Cruz was the one facing Trump for leader of the pack, Trump would be all over his place of birth.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Zwabu posted:

Because Republicans don't value internal consistency. Full stop.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

smg77 posted:

You need to spend more time at /r/sandersforpresident. According to the Berniebros on reddit Bernie is polling ahead of Obama at this same point in the primary season so it's a foregone conclusion that he will win a decisive victory over Hillary.

What they're forgetting to mention is that Hillary is also polling a lot better then she was polling this same time in 2007/2008, and also there isn't an Edwards equivalent in there that polls only slightly worse than Sanders

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kaal posted:

Because Republicans don't value internal consistency. Full stop.

It's just not the internal consistency they say it is - for example abortion isn't about being pro-life like they say, but it is definitely about hating women.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Aliquid posted:

gently caress youuu, New Democrats

New Democrats, AKA the people who are going to keep the GOP in power.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/chuck-todd-grills-fiorina-on-lack-of-detailed-tax-plan-show-us-what-youre-gonna-do/

It's amazing to me that Fiorina can come off even dumber than Carson.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

We can hypothesise that Carson would be bad at running a large organisation, but it's ultimately conjecture. Now Fiorina...

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Zwabu posted:

Donald Trump released his back in 2013, as proof that he wasn't related to an orangutan. Then he attempted to sue Bill Maher for $5 million dollars.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Bwee posted:

Why are you calling Southerners pedophiles what is wrong with you

He means their adult slave children that were conceived by them raping their female slaves.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001
The fact that Bevin won in Kentucky scares me and is absolutely going to hurt me and my family. Now there are rumblings about election shenanigans, and I have to say it fills in a lot of gaps as to what happened.

At the very least, if the positions were reversed given the discrepancies Republicans would be howling bloody murder and an investigation would be assured. I honestly don't know why there isn't going to be one now.

Tell me I'm nuts. :( I'd rather be nuts than have this be what actually happened.

http://www.dailynewsbin.com/news/evidence-mounts-that-kentucky-governors-election-may-have-been-rigged/22969/

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/11/08/analysis-of-kentucky-election-results-indicates-fraud-video/

http://crooksandliars.com/2015/11/we-may-never-really-understand-what

http://reverbpress.com/news/election-fraud-ky-bevins/

http://www.kentucky.com/2015/11/03/4119485/polls-open-in-kentucky-voters.html

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Anytime you ask 'was it a conspiracy, or are people just that stupid and hateful' the answer is always the latter.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

Slate Action posted:

Anytime you ask 'was it a conspiracy, or are people just that stupid and hateful' the answer is always the latter.

The thing is this sort of thing has happened before here in Kentucky, just not on this scale. The number of Democratic votes for other Democratic candidates far outnumber the number of votes for Conway, who was leading Bevin by a good margin in all polls up until election day. It honestly doesn't make sense.

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011

Slate Action posted:

stupid and hateful conspiracies happen tho

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
If the down-ballot democratic candidates had more votes than Bevin, then yeah that would be a big sign that something bad happened. Downballot dems having more votes than their governor doesn't seem that crazy. Definitely weird, I'll give it that.

Unfortunately these sites are all using Bev Harris and I think it's been shown before she's a nut.

Then again, isn't Kentucky the state that had rigged elections in the early 2000s? I would love to find out the election was rigged because that would be amazing and if it could keep my company from closing their Louisville office even all the better because I'd really like to stay with my plan of retiring in Louisville.

edit: Okay I just looked at the results. This is much do about nothing, sorry. Grimes and Andy Bashear, while not running for Governor, have more name recognition than Jack Conway so it's kind of understandable they got more votes. You have to remember a lot of people don't really pay attention to the election at all, especially in an off-year. Aunt Mildred gets into the voting booth and thinks "Well Rush Limbaugh told me the democrats are going to kill babies and take guns away so I'll vote for the republican, and Lunderson Grimes I know that name I'll vote for her and Bashear, isn't that the nice fella who does the things."

vvvv And there's that. It's important to remember Bevin is kind of hated by the GOP also. It's going to be a dark 4 years for Kentucky. I'll still hold out hope that Bevin gets explosive diarrhea to such an extent that he bleeds out and his lieutenant governor decides to take a trip to Antarctica without having her appendix removed first.

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 8, 2015

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

It would be very difficult for the Republicans to rig an election, given Democratic control of the SecState office (which runs the elections) and a majority of county governments.

Mitch could probably pull it off if he pulled out all the stops, but I don't know that he would go out on that big a limb for somebody like Bevin, a political liability who has repeatedly spurned offers of reconciliation.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Ramen Pride! posted:

The thing is this sort of thing has happened before here in Kentucky, just not on this scale. The number of Democratic votes for other Democratic candidates far outnumber the number of votes for Conway, who was leading Bevin by a good margin in all polls up until election day. It honestly doesn't make sense.

i wouldn't put it past a lot of voters in the cincinnati burbs (one such area where conway led bevin in the polls) to be too embarrassed to admit they'd vote bevin to a pollster while pulling the lever for becin on election day

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
If it helps for a comparison, here are the results from Virginia's 2013 elections. You'd expect the D vs R totals to be roughly similar in these three races but they weren't, they changed based on the electorate's views of the candidates.:

Virginia gubernatorial election, 2013
Democratic Terry McAuliffe 1,069,859 47.75%
Republican Ken Cuccinelli 1,013,354 45.23%
Libertarian Robert Sarvis 146,084 6.52%

Terry McAuliffe beat Ken Cuccinelli by 56,505 votes, because Ken Cuccinelli was an insane conservative Tea Party rear end in a top hat. It takes skill to lose to Terry McAuliffe aka a guy who could be described as "every slimy used car salesman ever", and who did an interview while wearing a Puerto Rican poo poo and brandishing a bottle of rum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPoWWzpqwds

But noted Clinton bag man Terry McAuliffe is now the Governor of Virginia, and by all accounts seems to be doing a good job.

--
Virginia lieutenant gubernatorial election, 2013
Democratic Ralph Northam 1,213,155 55.12%
Republican E.W. Jackson 980,257 44.54%

Ralph Northam beat E.W. Jackson by 232,898 votes, because well...

quote:

In an October 2012 op-ed essay in The Washington Times, Jackson wrote:

Democrats now have fully embraced an abortion policy that amounts to infanticide. They have also made the lesbian-homosexual-bisexual-transgender agenda their vision for America. How have they managed to hold on to black Christians in spite of an agenda worthy of the Antichrist? They have shown a ruthless willingness to frighten black voters with outright lies about the plans of conservatives and Republicans. Vice President Joseph R. Biden’s 'they gonna put y’all back in chains' was not a gaffe. It is part of the Democrats’ strategy of using fear to keep blacks as a captive audience.
E.W. Jackson is a completely bugfuck insane evangelical, who has said stuff crazier than Carson's and Huckabee's pure evangelical insanity.:stare:

--
Virginia Attorney General election, 2013
Democratic Mark Herring 1,105,045 49.91%
Republican Mark Obenshain 1,104,138 49.87%
Mark Herring won by just 907 votes, because his opponent wasn't as visibly insane as Ken Cuccinelli or E.W. Jackson was.

Assuming straight-ticket voting doesn't work all the time, it sometimes really depends on who a candidate is, not just their political affiliation.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 9, 2015

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Beyond the obamacare situation, which has been covered, other fallout to look out for is:

- Kentucky currently has much more relaxed voter ID laws than any southern state besides West Virginia. Changing that will probably be a priority for the Bevin administration.

- Right-to-work.

These are things that the democratic state house and surviving constitutional officers can certainly bloc, regardless of any executive orders, so holding on to those seats has to become the very topmost priority for the state party

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

smg77 posted:

That subreddit is gonna have some really epic meltdowns in the next few months.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

PupsOfWar posted:

Beyond the obamacare situation, which has been covered, other fallout to look out for is:

- Kentucky currently has much more relaxed voter ID laws than any southern state besides West Virginia. Changing that will probably be a priority for the Bevin administration.

- Right-to-work.

These are things that the democratic state house and surviving constitutional officers can certainly bloc, regardless of any executive orders, so holding on to those seats has to become the very topmost priority for the state party

Bevin's also doing changes as to how county clerks give licenses or are accountable to protect future Kim Davis wannabes.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Trip report: family member freaked out a bit when I mentioned some of the stuff from Carson's original healthcare plan the other day but was fairly stoic about it when I gave them the link to read today. Basically they sighed a lot and then tried to change the subject with a "well Carson is a kook but the other Repubs have their heads on straight and Hillary is such a liar" brush off. Pointing out to em' that this guy is near the top of the polls for Repub. candidates made them bring up Trump and then they suddenly found a reason to walk away and do something else so I dropped it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Young Orc

Bip Roberts posted:

That subreddit is gonna have some really epic meltdowns in the next few months.

They'll just merge with r/ronpaul

• Locked thread