Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

So last time, Captain Dagger and Captain Steiner ran into a couple of familiar scallywags and beat up a black mage. So business as usual. Now Dagger is going to pester Marcus some more, possibly because she's attracted to a man with fangs.

So, you already heard about the attack on Burmecia.
Of course. I'm not like Steiner.

Me? You mean the way I talk?
Not just that.
Well... A lot has happened. Oh, speaking of which...!
Yeah?

What are you talking about?
We need to find Supersoft and save Blank, right?
You're gonna come along, even if I refuse, right?
Of course I am! This is so exciting!

-----

The road splits up ahead. Go right to reach Treno, and left to reach Dali.

And if we try to get back on...

This car is returning to the summit. You can't go back.

Just basic consumables that Marcus can steal anyway, no biggie.

Oh yeah, and Marcus is along for the ride this chapter. He isn't a full-fledged character, so he can't learn abilities, but he's still a serviceable stealbot. He roughly has Zidane's armor options but uses the same swords as Steiner. He can also gain levels like everyone else.

There's one particular quirk with leveling Marcus that can come in handy later on, but that's something I'm sure Orange Fluffy Sheep would better explain.

There's a fork in the road, as stated.

BFFs forever (gently caress rat people, though)

I'm actually heading left first to check up on Dali.

Yes there's new dialogue and one whole item I can get.

You got a Gate Pass? ...I guess you do. I'll open it now.

The monsters are push-overs of course. A nice excuse to grind AP for Dagger and Steiner, though.

Even Dagger can knock these guys out in three or so hits.

Visiting Dali is completely optional, and there's not really much new here. But I'm doing it anyway.

Now Snot-nosed Gudo is tending the inn and probably watches you sleep.

Crazy money? What does that mean?

Dagger also has her own reaction to these books.

COLOR FORTUNES

I updated the "Useful Info" bulletin board! Check it out!

Just more stupid card poo poo.

The main reason to come back here is so you can cheese up more money.

And also to talk to these kids for more flavor text.

Wanna go with me to an observatory nearby? The view is wonderful.

Somebody snuck in during my shift. The mayor was furious.
(He sounds just like...)

(I used to feel so embarrassed when he would talk to me like that. I'm not embarrassed at all anymore...)

Also we can have a guy hit on Dagger.

There's nothing to see here. Wasn't so a year ago. It was a beautiful farm. Now the farm has been destroyed, and everyone's holed up underground.

It's Dagger so yeah.

Yes, I do, ma'am.

Talk to her again...

I want to go back to the days when we all tended the farm...

I think this is the only time to get this Elixir. I can't wait to never use it.

But the construction workers are gathering, so it should be fixed soon.

Now we'll go the right path toward Treno, though we won't be actually going there this update.

I wonder how they got to 1610 Gil. Do they just choose random amounts, or is there some significance to this number?

Thread project: Find out why they chose to give 1610 Gil for this chest.

Show me your Gate Pass. Yup, this is it!

Be careful out there.

Showing off everything.

Trick Sparrows are nothing special. We already saw them in the Festival of the Hunt.

So here's Steiner jumping into a stabbing session with gusto.

And here's Dagger attacking with a rod.

One neat detail is that as you get near Treno, the game falls into dusk and later night. This is even reflected in the battles.

Dagger learns Chemist so she's gonna be jelly.

Past Treno, there's a cave hidden off here.

CAVE NOISES

Quan was a name mentioned by Vivi back when we recruited Quina.

There's several Ethers here.

As well as a convenient healing spring.

And another Stellazzio.

This room doesn't have much besides another Ether and...

So from the sound of things, Quan found Vivi somewhere and raised him as his child so that when he got bigger Quan would eat him.

I guess this clock has the date and time? I'm sure there's some significance to this. Probably.

Nothing left to do here now, so let's do one more thing before we end the update.

On the ledges of Treno, we can run into the next friendly monster.

Again, we're swimming in the stuff so

It's nice to do good.

Especially since it gives 10AP.

Next time, we'll visit one of the most interesting cities in the game, Treno, the city of really rich people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Might try to squeeze another update in sometime this week since this one was so short.

Looking like I'll be sticking to updating on Sundays and occasionally on holidays or whatever days I get off. Usually too burned out on weekdays to do much and busy Saturdays what with household chores and hosting board games so that's where I'm at.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My personal guess with the clock is that it's an indication that Quan died a week before the events of the game, which is when Vivi left Quan's Dwelling and started heading to Alexandria.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I will never get why that track is called 'Aerial Battle'

also damnit Quan

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I can explain the data-sharing Marcus has with a later character, sure, but I won't be showing it off, as it would involve gaining levels.

Oddly it's different from Blank.

I wonder how Cinna would affect Quina if Cinna could actually gain levels.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Makes you wonder why Quan was really hated by Quale (and maybe all the other Qu's). :kheldragar:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

DeafNote posted:

I will never get why that track is called 'Aerial Battle'

also damnit Quan

Because in pretty much every other source it's Fairy Battle and whatever source I got the song names from probably just made them up on the spot. I'm gonna start changing them as necessary (for instance, the original track name for the gate song is "Boudary South Gate" with no N).

I'm still keeping Steiner Stealth though.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sum Mors posted:

Makes you wonder why Quan was really hated by Quale (and maybe all the other Qu's). :kheldragar:

Quale called him a bigot so I guess Quan posts on whatever the Qu version of Stormfront is.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Quale called him a bigot so I guess Quan posts on whatever the Qu version of Stormfront is.

Yet Quan was raising a black mage as his grandson (to eat him but still) so maybe Quan changed. Or maybe qu hates walrus-people instead.

Also this gave me the idea of referring to Qu as qu for third-person pronouns so maybe this will make my life easier when writing about Qu's.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I always thought that Quan was a "bigot" because the Qu had some sort of "food that talks is not food" rule, but Quan didn't apply that to non-Qu. Don't know where I got that from, and it's probably wrong.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The universe really loves to pick on Vivi. Has one happy thing happened to him this whole game?

And, wow, I missed out on almost all of those dialogue changes in Dali. I think I've only ever gotten that Elixir once, in fact.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Speaking of Cinna, despite only being in a few fights in disc 1 and getting his data replaced before the disc is even over, he's as functional as the other two Tantalus members.

He has a menu portrait which is terrifying:

And a victory animation even though every fight he's in fades to black without victory animations playing.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So basically Cinna is prototype Wakka?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ApplesandOranges posted:

So basically Cinna is prototype Wakka?

Remind me to beg Dark Id to make a video of Wakka's victory animation while he's hasted, if he hasn't done that already.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The universe really loves to pick on Vivi. Has one happy thing happened to him this whole game?

He met Steiner I guess.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Remind me to beg Dark Id to make a video of Wakka's victory animation while he's hasted, if he hasn't done that already.

Hasted, of course.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

The only thing more amusing than Hasted Victory Wakka is Hasted Victory Lulu. 2001 jiggle physics are a hilarious thing when played at fast forward. Like a freaking whirlpool in a pair of water balloons.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I wash my face everyday you know

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The shopkeeper in Lindblum gave him a free kupo nut. :unsmith:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Qu Qlux Qlan?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Cast members we've already met, as designed for Pictlogica Final Fantasy:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

IM PRETTY MIFFED ABOUT THIS KIDNAPPING THING JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE YOU KNOW

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Wait a minute, spiral-shaped red eyes, one eye perpetually covered... Haven't I seen this before?

EDIT: (image of a certain Naruto character that I apparently can't hotlink because fan sites are jerks)

...Huh. I think I know why she's so overpowered now.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 8, 2015

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Were you gonna fight any Mandragoras near Quan's Dwelling? Pretty good source of EXP right now, even though their gimmick can really gently caress you up if you don't keep track of their HP.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ApplesandOranges posted:

My personal guess with the clock is that it's an indication that Quan died a week before the events of the game, which is when Vivi left Quan's Dwelling and started heading to Alexandria.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Vivi just wanted to see a play to cheer himself up. We all know how that went.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Gnoman posted:

I always thought that Quan was a "bigot" because the Qu had some sort of "food that talks is not food" rule, but Quan didn't apply that to non-Qu. Don't know where I got that from, and it's probably wrong.

I always kind of suspected that the translator meant to write "heretic" but had a weird brain fart and came out with the wrong word, and nobody noticed in testing.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

epenthesis posted:

I always kind of suspected that the translator meant to write "heretic" but had a weird brain fart and came out with the wrong word, and nobody noticed in testing.
The Japanese for Quale's line back in the Qu's Marsh is just "I not know that stubborn old man." :confused:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's an odd choice of word, but there's always the option that Quale doesn't know the correct meaning. It wouldn't be the first time something like that happened.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I appreciate that they don't restrict Dagger to just where she needs to go, so there's this wandering and exploration without the relevant people.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
If Quale calling Quan a bigot is an error, I wouldn't say it's one that really detracts from the story. It's obvious the two have some history and Quale is doing the worst job at hiding it. The basis of that insult could be anything from Quale not knowing what that word means to Quale just casually insulting that guy he doesn't like who he totally doesn't know by the way, nope, nu-uh.

Sometimes word choice is crucial, but here I think it's enough to communicate there's some bad blood between the two.

Speaking of Cinna, despite only being in a few fights in disc 1 and getting his data replaced before the disc is even over, he's as functional as the other two Tantalus members.

He has a menu portrait which is terrifying:

And a victory animation even though every fight he's in fades to black without victory animations playing.

Cinna's probably my favorite Tantalus member after Zidane and Baku so I think it's neat this stuff is in the game. Thanks for sharing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tae posted:

He met Steiner I guess.

Actually, all the party member slike him and respect him and try to help him out. Getting involved with the war really is been the best thing that happened to him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be fair quan apparently taught vivi stuff so presumably quan had a change of heart on the whole 'eating him' thing at some point

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Knowledge is power, and power is delicious.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

KataraniSword posted:

Vivi just wanted to see a play to cheer himself up. We all know how that went.

Which, may I add, somebody scammed him by palming off a fake ticket to him.

God, just-Vivi had nothing until meeting Zidane and co. Poor kid. :(

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

FinalGamer posted:

Which, may I add, somebody scammed him by palming off a fake ticket to him.

God, just-Vivi had nothing until meeting Zidane and co. Poor kid. :(

Except Grandpa Quan who apparently decided not to eat him after all. That's something, at least.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Given the conversation in front of Ice Cavern, though, Quan is dead. So Vivi is essentially homeless/a cave dweller and went to that play to have something to enjoy. :smith:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Did Vivi even know magic before joining up with Zidane & Co and getting some wand or staff or rod? A black mage without magic is a sad existence indeed.

e: actually, I think he used some magic in the play, so nevermind on that

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Get ready for a SHAQ DOWN!
Reading this thread reminded me how much I love Tetra Master, the card game that is inferior to Triple Triad confusing as gently caress fun as all hell to play, so I went back and updated that Tetra Master port I made a few months ago to include online play. All you goons are now free to relive the hell that is randomly generated battles, and against eachother, no less.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Gamesfreak13563 posted:

Reading this thread reminded me how much I love Tetra Master, the card game that is inferior to Triple Triad confusing as gently caress fun as all hell to play, so I went back and updated that Tetra Master port I made a few months ago to include online play. All you goons are now free to relive the hell that is randomly generated battles, and against eachother, no less.

This is revenge for All The Bravest existing, isn't it. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Oh hey, today is the fifteenth anniversary of FF9 hitting the U.S. Also it's beating Kingdom Hearts on GameFAQs.

Update this weekend assuming I don't spend all my time playing Fallout 4.

• Locked thread