Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

RBX posted:

I have never seen Dragonball but have watched 3 episodes of GT. Am I a bad person

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Android 8 is one of the better things in the Red Ribbon arc, but a lot of it is still pretty tedious to get through even in the manga. Muscle Tower just goes on and on, and then the Blue stuff just goes on and on even longer. The Tao stuff is great, but the final assault on the base is pretty anti-climatic except for Black's betrayal of Red.

The anime sort of had the right idea by creating filler of guys like Silver actually terrorizing people, but they still never were a threat to a Goku really until Blue (And even then he's still not too much of one, he just kind of refuses to die or do anything of any lasting consequence really).

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 6, 2015

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

RBX posted:

I have never seen Dragonball but have watched 3 episodes of GT. Am I a bad person

That doesn't sound like much of a grand tour.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

the GT in Dragon Ball GT actually stands for Goku Time.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ruggington posted:

The red ribbon army arc would be peak dragon ball if the piccolo jr fight wasn't so good

i still think that the fight vs king piccolo is the best in the series

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
all the piccolo stuff was p strong

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
King piccolo is the start of the transition to Z. So yeah it's great.

Though you could make the argument the start is actually Tao.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RBX posted:

no, because you had the good sense to stop after 3 episodes of GT

also, I've only seen the very beginning of Dragon Ball and then everything from Piccolo on, and the Piccolo arc is like... bizarro DBZ. that arc moves at a loving clip, even if it's still slower than the manga I think King Piccolo dies like 13 episodes or so after he's introduced.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I am pretty sure Tambourine has as much, if not a little more screen time than his daddy.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I'm actually watching through Dragon Ball now just because I never managed to watch it past the Red Ribbon intro episodes when it was on Toonami.

I contemplated skipping the first 13 episodes but I'm just going to stick through them

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

mabels big day posted:

i still think that the fight vs king piccolo is the best in the series

the king piccolo fight is v. cool and that killing blow is super iconic

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Always Read Dragonball imo

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Just finished that Legend of the Super Saiyan game people have mentioned before here. It's seriously pretty cool, especially for an early SNES JRPG.

What I find really interesting is how in a lot of ways it seems like a precursor to Chrono Trigger in terms of narrative progression. I liked how the changes you could make to the storyline were the result of actual god damned choices/accomplishments of the player in gameplay, and not just conversation trees* or anything like that. The easiest example to point to is saving Tien, Yamcha, and Chiaotzu- it revolves around making sure they just plain don't die during the Saiyan Saga battles. If you do save them, you can even take them to Namek for fun adventures, giving you some more options for a decent chunk of that part of the game.

Though that brings me to the other thing I liked about this game a lot, which is that the characters are balanced around how strong they are, more or less, in the show. While you can continue to level up Tien and co. if you save them, it's not like you'll be suddenly lolmurdering everything in your path. Frieza is still vastly stronger than anyone in your party when you first encounter him for real, so you have to play relatively smart if you didn't abuse any of the game's notorious glitches to get stronger (Personally I only did some zenkai boosting with Goku in the Raditz battle, and that didn't even make too much of a difference in the long run since you don't actually use him very often).

As much I loved the story in Xenoverse, I would be absolutely THRILLED if for Xenoverse 2 they looked back at this and tried to build upon it. As it stands now, Legend of the Super Saiyan is like a blueprint for my dream Dragon Ball game. It's got some rough patches (I got lost several times just trying to roam the world map), but this game has a lot of cool ideas.

*Notable exception being the decision to have Piccolo do a fusion with Dende of all characters, as well as minor characters Maima and Tsumuri that you probably forgot even existed like I did.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It's a great game to play through using an emulator with some kind of speed-up mode, makes the grinding and endless fighting animations a lot more bearable. Probably not the best DBZ game around but it's still one of my favorites, I always wondered what an RPG spanning the entire Z series would look like.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Can someone post the Vegeta! video with android 15?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBbeloUlQwc

I have never even seen this movie and he is still my favorite character.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Go... ku?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Trunks, aw yeah

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hmph, Piccolo.

The Ninth Layer posted:

It's a great game to play through using an emulator with some kind of speed-up mode, makes the grinding and endless fighting animations a lot more bearable. Probably not the best DBZ game around but it's still one of my favorites, I always wondered what an RPG spanning the entire Z series would look like.

Yeah, it would be cool to see how Cell or Buu could translate into game mechanics while still also being relatively true to their proportional strength in the show.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 7, 2015

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I never saw anyone like this when I was around!

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Based on the polling results we can now say that green dick is empirically better than blue dick.

Mods, please update the thread title for this important discovery

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

CharlestheHammer posted:

Trunks, aw yeah

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tokelau All Star posted:

Yajirobe slicing that demon in half and eating him was a Top 5 moment in the whole series.

Yeah, it's easy to forget that Yajirobe is actually a total badass. He's weaker than all the Z fighters, but still probably one of the 5 strongest humans alive.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

You're in my way,

Move!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I WILL defeat Go-ku!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

CharlestheHammer posted:

Trunks, aw yeah

*progressively angrier as power grows* I never saw anyone like THIS when I was around.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
can we get that video as the thread title tia

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

The Ninth Layer posted:

The biggest hurdle there would be on how to handle cast progression. Either you'd just flat out ignore the original story beyond new characters appearing, have a lot of filler to let you use them but omit them at appropriate events, or give players specific characters to play with at specific times, instead of the more traditional complete cast build up (which stops working after the saiyan saga). Maybe something where you consistently play as Goku and/or Gohan, but with differing, pre-built support characters for various events.

The really curious aspect would be on how you balance characters to be reflective of the power gaps later on in the series. If series accurate, humans would start dragging at the saiyans and be utterly left behind by Cell (with Tien's Kiko-gently caress Yourself as an event), and Piccolo unable to keep up at the end of the Cell saga but still viable as a support character. Not being series accurate would be more fun (because honestly, top level Krillin vs Buu), but runs into the issue of how a dev might make the saiyans even more broken so as to encourage their usage and keeping to canon.

Online and Xenoverse at least have the excuse of explicitly loving around with the timeline.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

what's with goku trying to murder his teachers with explosives?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Condiv posted:

what's with goku trying to murder his teachers with explosives?

At least he didn't step on this one.

I rather like this show.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I didn't remember seeing any posts about it, and i just finished the single-player, so I'm going to talk about Extreme Butoden for the 3DS. I know a lot of people love what-if stories in their games, and EB has a few. The biggest one, that forms the core of the game, is that due to a contrivance, every single villain from Tao and General Blue on up through GT and BoG, are all brought to earth simultaneously, and given a post-Buu level power up. It's pretty neat. Gameplay-wise it's a 2D fighter, interestingly everyone plays essentially the same mechanically so you don't have to remember a ton of different combos. The support characters/summons are where the gimmicks come in. By and large I'd recommend it, and there is also a demo on the 3DS eshop.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Make sure you input the SSGSS Goku cheat code

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Speaking of that game, I missed out on the promo pre order code for the snes game :negative: any ideas on how to get my hands on one? Not seeing any on ebay as of yet.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

DBSuper Chat: So with with Champa and Vados officially in the anime now, do we think the Resurrection F plotline will play out any differently than in the movie?

I generally think that Resurrection F's story has more to gain from being expanded upon than the story of Battle of Gods did, and Champa and Vados hunting for Dragon Balls as they did in the manga would give us some substantially "new" material to watch at least.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Yeah I'm pretty sure they're going to poo poo around while the RoF plot happens. Still wondering if they're going to explain SSB or not.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Resurrection of F will just be Goku vs Freeza for 10 eps just like the BoG eps. They won't expand on the B-team fighting the mooks or anything, it will probably just be those two punching each others fists and old kai fainting at wavy 2003 video effects all over again.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jaco appears soon.

That means that Jaco + Satan hijinks are a little less soon.

e: VVV yes please

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 9, 2015

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

My wish is for an animated adaptation of the Jaco manga.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Alright , so Beerus and Whis = beer and whiskey.

Champa obviously = champagne but where does Vados come from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Enourmo posted:

Alright , so Beerus and Whis = beer and whiskey.

Champa obviously = champagne but where does Vados come from?

Calvados.

• Locked thread