Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

OvineYeast posted:

I'm told my (Irish) Great-granddad went into the British Army during WWI but was apparently bullied out of it for being Catholic. No idea about his motivations but I'm guessing King and Country didn't have much to do with it.

The late 19th/early 20th century armed forces were loving rammed with Catholics. My best guess is that it would be an economic decision. I'm surprised to hear that he was bullied out for his Catholicism tbh, the documents I've seen at work indicate a healthy Catholic presence and an effort (lazy, but minimal) on the part of the Ministry of War to ensure that Catholic servicemen could get access to Catholic priests, chapels, services, etc. Maybe your gramps got unlucky and went into a lovely regiment with no other Catholics or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Oberleutnant posted:

The late 19th/early 20th century armed forces were loving rammed with Catholics. My best guess is that it would be an economic decision. I'm surprised to hear that he was bullied out for his Catholicism tbh, the documents I've seen at work indicate a healthy Catholic presence and an effort (lazy, but minimal) on the part of the Ministry of War to ensure that Catholic servicemen could get access to Catholic priests, chapels, services, etc. Maybe your gramps got unlucky and went into a lovely regiment with no other Catholics or something.

Well this is all hearsay ofc. He died when my grandfather was a teenager so it's quite possible bits of the story got garbled along the way.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Renaissance Robot posted:

He was trying to do an empire, but that was our idea first and he just nicked it. WWI was fought to protect our copyright on the concept of a global monopoly on bastardry.

:Assyria:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
To be fair to Gove there was a bit of defending our freedom going on in the propaganda (well, mostly defending Civilisation which is of course embodied by the Anglosphere, and maybe the French), although I think British stuff did tend to focus on duty (Kitchener, What did you do in the War?). And then you've got the fact that the UK and the USA were more liberal than Germany which was pretty absolutist. Which holds up for all of about 10 seconds before you remember whose side Tsarist Russia was on.

To be even more fair to Gove, he is a massive loving idiot who has swallowed wholesale propaganda from a century ago without the fairly major excuse of it being 1914.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The only full on defenses of the Great War that I've heard from people of my grandparent's generation were that it is Britain's duty to stand with her allies, and that it is Britons' duty to fight for their country, or that Prussian militarism was a threat to peace in Europe. Or the more resigned 'well, it was going to happen sooner or later with all the tension'. But even they can admit that the whole thing was a loving mess.

I wonder what freedoms the current set of commentators think were won by the war. Other than the freedom to run roughshod over Africa for a few more decades like Renaissance Robot said.

e: ^^^ Yeah, Gove seems to have followed a line of US propaganda that didn't even exist in the UK as part of his sterling revisionism.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 8, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BUY FREEDOM BONDS FOR FREEDOM is pretty good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What irritates me about the idea of soldiers fighting to protect our freedoms is that nobody ever follows the thought any further.

If we take as granted that it is necessary to kill in defence of freedom, then what happens afterwards? When you've won the war and no more foreigners need to die to preserve your freedom? At what point does your duty to protect freedom cease? If you laud soldiers for fighting and dying and killing to preserve your liberty then what makes it so that you need not do the same? We don't need people to kill for freedom at the moment but we do need people to vote for it, to pay tax for it, to unite together and stand against the few who work constantly to take away our freedom to fuel their own.

If you believe it is right to kill for freedom why do you not believe it's right to give shelter to those who are denied a home, food to those who are starving, and safety to those in search of it? Is that not much easier than going out and killing? It takes more than violence to protect freedom, it needs to be built, not just guarded.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Renaissance Robot posted:

Because suggesting that people's loved ones died propping up what has always been at best a morally grey establishment is never going to be a popular move, regardless of what other good you may acknowledge them to have possibly been doing depending on their individual circumstances.

God forbid you suggest they died for nothing at all. When Chilcot comes out I fully expect Iraq war widows to be some of its biggest detractors, because saying "your fellas shouldn't even have been there, because the war was both pointless and illegal" has the potential to rather abruptly kick the legs out from under the justifications many of them have been using to cope with their loss (ie that the servicemen in question were at least doing their bit for a solid cause).

It seems to me that as the founders of rememberance day are dying off, so is the original message. Millions died in a great tragedy - we can remember those people without any of the politics. The lack of politics in rememberance was the most powerful message - it doesn't matter what you believe, this was a tragedy, don't forget it, and for gods sake don't let it happen again.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

XMNN posted:

To be even more fair to Gove, he is a massive loving idiot who has swallowed wholesale propaganda from a century ago without the fairly major excuse of it being 1914.
That would fit with his approach that history should be about dates and kings and queens rather than learning how to analyse evidence and think critically.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
More dire NHS news:

As chair of a trust, I’m speaking out. The NHS is headed for financial ruin posted:

If you’ve been moved by the remarkable real-life human stories and the heroics of the hospital team on the Channel 4 series 24 Hours in A&E, then you may be surprised to know that behind the scenes at St George’s in Tooting, where the series is filmed, this great hospital is battling with an unprecedented financial shortfall. It is not alone. The NHS is heading for a real smash, and practically everyone running a hospital knows it. Hospitals are at 100% capacity at the moment – and the onset of winter could be a nightmare. But beyond this, an accelerating financial disaster is in progress.

Two years ago a quarter of hospitals recorded deficits Last year, this rose to half. This year, three–quarters of hospitals are running deficits, some of them extremely large – and 90%, including St George’s University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, of which I am chairman, expect to be in deficit by the end of the year. Hardened professionals who have worked in the service for decades have never seen anything like it.

Does it matter if hospitals run big deficits? It matters profoundly. As hospital managements come under pressure from regulators to return their trusts to surplus, spending is cut, vacancies are left unfilled, staff-patient ratios are relaxed, and hospitals cut their capital programmes, which means fewer operating theatres and MRI scanners.

Evidence of eroding standards of care is already with us. Waiting times for cancer treatment, and in A&E departments, are now missed routinely, as is the minimum wait for diagnostic tests. And the waiting target for elective procedures has been abandoned. Missed targets trigger fines of many millions of pounds, intensifying financial pressures. The queues will go on lengthening.

Ministers are in denial about what is happening, yet there is no mystery. The past five years have seen the smallest increase in health spending over any parliament since the second world war – 0.8% a year. This compares with an annual increase in demand and cost pressures of between 4% and 5%.

Dedicated professionals in the NHS performed miracles to bridge the gap by raising productivity and reducing costs at a rate that has never been achieved over an extended period by any health service anywhere in the world. Costs cannot be reduced at this rate indefinitely. The system has reached a tipping point.

Simon Stevens, chief executive of NHS England, did the NHS no favours when he said the NHS could manage with a budget increase of £8bn by 2020. This enabled ministers to say they were committed to giving the NHS what it had asked for, and should stop complaining. In fact, the Department of Health itself accepts that the NHS will face not £8bn but £30bn of additional operational pressures by 2020. Yet it expects the health service to make an extra £22bn of savings from a budget of £116bn. To do this, it would need to reduce costs at twice the rate of the past five years. Quite clearly, this is for the birds; yet it is the basis on which budgets are being set.

Why are costs rising so much more quickly than the finance being provided? Four factors are inescapable – population growth, the ageing of the population, the rise in chronic conditions such as diabetes and obesity, and the need to invest in advanced technology. The second of these is particularly important. Spending per head on people in their 80s is seven times that on people in their 30s. And once admitted, old people with complex conditions require hospital beds for longer periods than other patients, reducing hospitals’ income as well as increasing their costs.

With private sector pay rising again, the turnover of nurses and other essential staff is also soaring. Without pay increases, staff shortages will become acute, making the employment of yet more expensive temporary staff inescapable – despite the caps the government wants to introduce. Continuing government demands for improvements in services for which no extra finance is provided, the most recent being 24/7 healthcare, are also forcing up costs.

The government’s response to all this is wholly inadequate. So far, not a penny towards the £8bn has been paid, and the word is that there will be no more money until towards the end of the parliament.

By next year, hospitals’ deficits may have escalated to such a degree that the NHS could face widespread financial collapse. Since hospitals have to take out loans to finance their deficits, their accumulated debt will become so large that many could run out of borrowing capacity and cash. At this point, when they can no longer pay wages, the sort of financial crisis the NHS has never seen before will be unstoppable. If the Treasury then has to step in and bail out the whole system it will cost many billions of pounds, and it will still be necessary to increase NHS budgets at a sufficient rate to keep up with demographic pressures.

The choice is stark: more money every year or a sustained decline in the standards of healthcare and a financial collapse. How much more money? Even if the efficiency gains achieved in the next five years matched those of the past five, the government would need to increase annual budgets by £2bn-£3bn a year between now and 2020 to preserve standards. But since the NHS cannot continue to raise productivity at this rate, at least £4bn a year extra will be necessary, starting in April.

Those drawing up the autumn statement need to be aware of these realities. Even if the Treasury does provide more money, but substantially less than the annual £4bn needed to restore hospital finances and protect standards, there will still be a car crash, just one in slower motion. Meanwhile, more of the people who understand what is happening from inside the health system need to speak out. With a few honourable exceptions, they are reluctant to do so, which is understandable for professionals whose careers are at stake. But chairs and boards can, and must, do so. Hence my decision to write this article.
Really the whole thing should be in bold.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/nov/08/nhs-chairman-funding-crisis-collapse
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/nov/08/nhs-facing-financial-collapse-warns-london-trust-chief

They are going to kill the NHS.

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

Remember the poppy is taken as a sacred symbol by most and questioning it is like shoving a cross up your arse in the middle of mass. It's really scary that a mass of people don't see the insidious warping of Rememberance Day and the poppy to uphold pig fuckers status quo. 100 years ago they'd be in the meat grinder. I guess the lack of value placed on understanding history and how it influences current society just leads to history being easily revised.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Did I no call it.

Old man's bow not enough for poppy fascists.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Abbey's a bit tasty

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Oberleutnant posted:

Abbey's a bit tasty

Please don't objectify women.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Oberleutnant posted:

Abbey's a bit tasty

What are her politics though?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

They aren't going to kill it before the 2020 election, but I wouldn't be surprised if they keep it just afloat long enough to let it collapse just after the election results come in. Of course at that point the damage would be so "extensive" it would require "radical measures".

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Oberleutnant posted:

Abbey's a bit tasty
She is not dressed appropriately for conditions.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

Abbey's a bit tasty

She's dressed very impractically for the weather, I suspect she'd dead now.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

XMNN posted:

More dire NHS news:

article posted:

Why are costs rising so much more quickly than the finance being provided? Four factors are inescapable – population growth, the ageing of the population, the rise in chronic conditions such as diabetes and obesity, and the need to invest in advanced technology. The second of these is particularly important. Spending per head on people in their 80s is seven times that on people in their 30s. And once admitted, old people with complex conditions require hospital beds for longer periods than other patients, reducing hospitals’ income as well as increasing their costs.

Once again, the nation is being hosed by the people who are too old to give a poo poo if they gently caress our nation.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I don't think old people are 'loving the nation' by needing medical treatment.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What is she wearing on her feet? It looks painful.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

What are her politics though?

I have no doubt she'll tell us exactly what she thinks of Comrade Corbyn on Page 3 tomorrow.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Please don't objectify women.

Wasn't it you on IRC the other night routinely insulting women for their appearance?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

What is she wearing on her feet? It looks painful.

Is this a trap to see if anybody is bourgeois enough to know what a ski boot looks like?

gently caress.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

Wasn't it you on IRC the other night routinely insulting women for their appearance?

I think you're mistaken and, either way, not importing IRC drama is one of this forum's oldest rules. So don't.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

I don't think old people are 'loving the nation' by needing medical treatment.

Remind me who said old people tend to vote for? Apparently I'm suffering from your aneurysm which causes me to forget how history works.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

Remind me who said old people tend to vote for? Apparently I'm suffering from your aneurysm which causes me to forget how history works.

So we should let old people die because they're old and some of them vote Tory.

Lovely stuff from 'comrade central'.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

I think you're mistaken and, either way, not importing IRC drama is one of this forum's oldest rules. So don't.

In that case you might want to distance yourself from the person who came in with your name and started blurting out grossly misogynist bullshit at length.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Gonzo McFee posted:

She's dressed very impractically for the weather, I suspect she'd dead now.

Snow can be deceiving, I've been on mountains before where it was -10 in the shaded valley but eight hundred metres higher up it was taps aff weather. Sunburn could be a significant risk though, snow reflects UV very well and I've suffered sunburn in Scotland in January on a number of occasions. Getting burnt on the underside of your nose is an unusual and unpleasant experience, I hope she has creamed up adequately. :ohdear:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Lovely stuff from 'comrade central'.

Not what I said, arse-brain. I thought you were meant to be intelligent... although I'm worrying that the term should actually be 'illiterate.'

At least when you're involved.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

Not what I said, arse-brain.

That's exactly what you said.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

Snow can be deceiving, I've been on mountains before where it was -10 in the shaded valley but eight hundred metres higher up it was taps aff weather. Sunburn could be a significant risk though, snow reflects UV very well and I've suffered sunburn in Scotland in January on a number of occasions. Getting burnt on the underside of your nose is an unusual and unpleasant experience, I hope she has creamed up adequately. :ohdear:

There you go, riddled with skin cancer now. Damned Murdoch claims another victim.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oberleutnant posted:

Is this a trap to see if anybody is bourgeois enough to know what a ski boot looks like?

gently caress.

Not intentionally but thanks for outing yourself in advance, comrade :v:

Least that explains the weird plastic bits.

Pissflaps posted:

It is possible for old people to be loving the country without it being reasonable to do anything about it other than apply as much lube as possible, at least until they die.

Boomer bubbles are a problem but there's nothing you can really do about the costs of them, except manage them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 9, 2015

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

oxford_town posted:

The RCS have been unforgivably tight lipped during the current debacle. Is the EWTD exemption not something supported by their trainee membership though?

Nope, it's literally just the consultants who are pushing for it because they're stuck in the past. The college's junior members are very much in support of the EWTD and quite a number of them are quitting the RCS (London) to transfer to one of the Scottish ones as a sign of protest over this, Lansley's reforms, and the new contract as the RCS (London) supports all three.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

I appreciate you lack the ability to see beyond your periphery, but have you considered... that I was referring to voting patterns of our elder voters?

I joke here... pretending you aren't just being contrary for the sake of it is like... ah I can't even be bothered at this point. Falling your for your trolling is so loving stupid and I can't believe I did.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Gonzo McFee posted:

Did I no call it.

Old man's bow not enough for poppy fascists.

Right, this is getting loving daft now. Jezza did everything that was asked of him, and its STILL not enough. The loving establishment sit there, dick in hand, waiting for the first thing they can possibly whinge about. So, he didn't bow enough. Compared to his predecessors and opposite numbers, how the cutting gently caress does that make an iota of difference?

Going off to calm down now.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

I appreciate you lack the ability to see beyond your periphery, but have you considered... that I was referring to voting patterns of our elder voters?

Yes. You did this after putting parts of an article on stresses on NHS funding that mentioned how much more it costs to provide medical care to people over 80 compared to those in their 30s. You then described how the 'nation is hosed' by these people. To which I responded:

Pissflaps posted:

Is there some nuanced aspect of your attitude I failed to sum up in that post?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Yes. You did this after putting parts of an article on stresses on NHS funding that mentioned how much more it costs to provide medical care to people over 80 compared to those in their 30s. You then described how the 'nation is hosed' by these people. To which I responded:

Is there some nuanced aspect of your attitude I failed to sum up in that post?

Probably, since you're apparently too brain-lacking to realise that the majority vote for the Tories comes from the elder citizens.

Do you not understand why that might be relevant?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

XMNN posted:

And then you've got the fact that the UK and the USA were more liberal than Germany which was pretty absolutist.

The Imperial German system of government before the war is far more interesting than it's given credit for and worked well enough to deliver (by the standard of Europe at the time) a reasonable standard of living for a reasonable amount of the people (they started on a proper welfare state in the 1880s, for instance) and it could easily have lasted long enough to evolve into a more modern, liberal, constitutional monarchy as long as the Kaiser was a good practical sensible stolid German like Frederick III. Three Men on the Bummel is well worth reading for some interesting insights into turn-of-the-century Germany and how it was often presented to Britain, a few years before imperial squabbling and the signing of the Ententes with France and Russia required turning them into the villainous Hun.

Sure, there were also some less savoury elements, like how technically the Empire was four constituent kingdoms of equal status but in reality was dominated by the largest kingdom which provided most of the aristocracy and tended to run things as much as possible to suit themselves; or the upper house of the legislature that was designed to allow the said aristocracy to nobble any legislation that it didn't like the sound of, but, er, which European monarchy were we talking about again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

Probably, since you're apparently too brain-lacking to realise that the majority vote for the Tories comes from the elder citizens.

Most over 65's voted for parties other than the Tories. Along with every other age group listed.

• Locked thread