Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Dumb question: If I've primed some guys with primer that flakes off easily, what's the best way to fix that so I can re-prime them?

e: Or maybe I'm handling them too soon after the primer dries? I waited about 10 minutes to check on them.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
e: ^^^ you should wait at least a half hour or so for primer to dry and cure before handling it or painting over it. Spray can primer may take longer than that, and in the cooler weather or if you're letting it dry outside in the cold/damp/wet it'll take longer. Just let the models degas outside so the fumes dissipate and then bring them inside into the warm.

KFJ posted:

I have a few Leman Russes I'm going to paint next, but I think I'll do a camo pattern on them in a lighter grey color. Something similar to this, but wavy instead of jagged because I'm lazy:

Thoughts? Tips?

If you tear wide masking tape or use poster tack/silly putty, you get a nice feathered edging, even with a spray can. Just do each stripe or section at a time.

Typhus Corrosion drybrushed or sponged with red or orange paint comes out really well aynd is easier/cleaner to apply than pigments. it's not as realistic, though

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

krushgroove posted:

e: ^^^ you should wait at least a half hour or so for primer to dry and cure before handling it or painting over it. Spray can primer may take longer than that, and in the cooler weather or if you're letting it dry outside in the cold/damp/wet it'll take longer. Just let the models degas outside so the fumes dissipate and then bring them inside into the warm.

Ok, I'll leave em for a while. I think I'm getting myself paranoid since I spent like 3 months off-and-on cleaning up these minis to paint.

Followup: I know primer that looks glossy is too thick, but how glossy are we talking about? I primed my bases in Army Painter black and they're a bit satiny looking. I'm not too worried, since they're just the bases, but I want to be sure I'm doing this right for the future.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Well gently caress, your tank looks a lot more impressive than my tank.

KFJ
Nov 7, 2009

Ensign Expendable posted:

It absolutely doesn't - The upper tank is my tank, the lower tank is an official Forgeworld product picture. Your tanks look great!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Avenging Dentist posted:

Ok, I'll leave em for a while. I think I'm getting myself paranoid since I spent like 3 months off-and-on cleaning up these minis to paint.

Followup: I know primer that looks glossy is too thick, but how glossy are we talking about? I primed my bases in Army Painter black and they're a bit satiny looking. I'm not too worried, since they're just the bases, but I want to be sure I'm doing this right for the future.
Satiny is OK, gloss is not OK, because then there's very little texture for the paint to grab onto. Ideally primer should be flat/matte/matt/non-reflective.

Pretty sure the pictures is what KFJ wants to get close to, and it's not actually their tank.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I realized that my question would probably be better asked by posting an actual picture, so here's the bases (note that I boosted the brightness/contrast a bit in Photoshop so that you can actually see things):

I'll post more about these when I paint em and people can actually see the details, since I did them all from scratch, and most of them took an evening each.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I meant gun-wise, 47 mm guns aren't that impressive compared to whatever the hell that is.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

I meant gun-wise, 47 mm guns aren't that impressive compared to whatever the hell that is.

Whatever the hell that is is going to be bizarrely calibered and fire rounds that make no sense. Nothing in Imperial Armour makes sense.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I went to a reasonably large IPMS model show yesterday, and there were some very impressive figures. Is it appropriate to post pictures of figures that I have nothing to do with (other than the photo's) in this thread, or does anyone even want to see photo's of figures not done by goons? I'm still working on the editing/cropping/resizing, but thought I'd ask for whenever I finish.

Also, my boat won 1st place in Surface Ships, and Best Ship across all ship categories, I was pretty stoked.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

No offense to the parties involved, but I prefer your tank to 2 shades-of-grey tank.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

The Locator posted:

I went to a reasonably large IPMS model show yesterday, and there were some very impressive figures. Is it appropriate to post pictures of figures that I have nothing to do with (other than the photo's) in this thread, or does anyone even want to see photo's of figures not done by goons? I'm still working on the editing/cropping/resizing, but thought I'd ask for whenever I finish.

Also, my boat won 1st place in Surface Ships, and Best Ship across all ship categories, I was pretty stoked.

Post many pictures.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

A few sample shots (and probably some of the best honestly). I still have a metric ton of editing/re-sizing to do.

This guy got Best Figure, all categories.

The entry form on this one said it was the entrants first time doing a female figure, and first time trying to do translucent clothing and tatoo's.

And this one isn't a figure, but I thought you guys would appreciate the painting. The face is about 3 to 4" high.

Sneaking in a boat picture. :)

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Nice stuff!

Not quite the same quality, but got some of my raiders mostly painted. They still need a few things and some touching up, and the fellow with the metal arm needs to have an infusion of color(probably changing the color of one of his knee patches to red or something) but I'm loving them so far! Love Edgar Ramos' sculpting.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

X-Post from reaper thread. Bones I Cthulu, still WIP:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

No offense to the parties involved, but I prefer your tank to 2 shades-of-grey tank.

That's why I try to avoid Panzergrau, it just looks so boring, especially when there are more fun camo options.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Finished my Sternguard Veterans today and got around to basing my techmarine and venerable dreadnought. Except for the veteran holding the heavy flamer, the rest have magnets in their wrists so I can swap combi weapons.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

KFJ posted:

So, I just painted my first model in years, a Griffon! I'm starting an IG armored company, and this is basically the color scheme I'm going for:

Is this the part where I say that I regret to inform you that GW squatted the Griffon Siege Mortar in the last codex release? :cripes:

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

The Locator posted:

gently caress yes! To both more pics and you winning. I watched that thing come along from the start and it's really good to see it get some recognition out in the real world.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Ilor posted:

Is this the part where I say that I regret to inform you that GW squatted the Griffon Siege Mortar in the last codex release? :cripes:

it's still in the list for Armored company, since that's a forgeworld thing. they also still make the new resin kit!

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Plus you can just run it as a counts-as Wyvern. I got my mitts on a original Griffin literally weeks before they got squatted :(

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

The Locator posted:

Models are miniatures, figures are miniatures, doesn't have to be wargaming or board game stuff itt! post more!

I went to a couple of model shows earlier this year and I anticipate going to the same ones again next year - I took a few pictures at each one but would have to dig them out of digital storage somewhere to get to them. The one I remember best is a 1/48 scale (I think) X-wing or A-wing fighter that was undergoing repair in a Rebel hangar somewhere. Lots of wires and the background was as impressive as the model.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I recently got a shitload of laser cut terrain, and it's making me finally want to pull the trigger on an airbrush to save time. I've settled on a Badger 105, but the OP doesn't really go into details or suggestions on compressors themselves. I'm sure this is asked a billion times, but are there any defaults? If listing preferences, i'd lean towards affordability over noise or compactness (within reason, I'd still like to be able to keep it at my desk).

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Springfield Fatts posted:

I recently got a shitload of laser cut terrain, and it's making me finally want to pull the trigger on an airbrush to save time. I've settled on a Badger 105, but the OP doesn't really go into details or suggestions on compressors themselves. I'm sure this is asked a billion times, but are there any defaults? If listing preferences, i'd lean towards affordability over noise or compactness (within reason, I'd still like to be able to keep it at my desk).

I'll do an effortpost when I get the time, but basically compressors are like airbrushes - you get what you pay for. The cheap Chinese compressors without tanks will overheat and eventually break, when depends on how much you use them. You can extend the life of them by paying more for one with a tank but again they will eventually break. The companies that sell them online buy them by the containerload and don't bother to do repairs on them, they just scrap the bad ones or the returns and send out a new boxed one. These are the ones that are $/£80-100.

If you're planning to be airbrushing for a while (meaning, continue airbrushing for a few years or more), the more you can spend, up to and over $/£200-300, you can be pretty assured the compressor will last for as long as you want to airbrush. Pay over 300 or so and you can have the compressor for decades and pass it onto your kids.

It's kind of like the old craftman's mantra of: Cheap, Quick and Good - you can only pick two...with compressors and airbrushes, you can pick Cheap, Good and Support (as in spares, etc.) - you can only pick two.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

krushgroove posted:

I'll do an effortpost when I get the time, but basically compressors are like airbrushes - you get what you pay for. The cheap Chinese compressors without tanks will overheat and eventually break, when depends on how much you use them. You can extend the life of them by paying more for one with a tank but again they will eventually break. The companies that sell them online buy them by the containerload and don't bother to do repairs on them, they just scrap the bad ones or the returns and send out a new boxed one. These are the ones that are $/£80-100.

If you're planning to be airbrushing for a while (meaning, continue airbrushing for a few years or more), the more you can spend, up to and over $/£200-300, you can be pretty assured the compressor will last for as long as you want to airbrush. Pay over 300 or so and you can have the compressor for decades and pass it onto your kids.

It's kind of like the old craftman's mantra of: Cheap, Quick and Good - you can only pick two...with compressors and airbrushes, you can pick Cheap, Good and Support (as in spares, etc.) - you can only pick two.

What's your take on the actual working of the compressor? I was told "pulsing" is a myth and it actually indicates a lovely airbrush, not a lovely compressor. What's the cheapest you can go for steady air?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

signalnoise posted:

What's your take on the actual working of the compressor? I was told "pulsing" is a myth and it actually indicates a lovely airbrush, not a lovely compressor. What's the cheapest you can go for steady air?

Pulsing is a myth, the hose absorbs the 'pulsing' (this is covered in the first video in the airbrush section of the OP), if your paint is pulsing out of the airbrush your paint is too thick or your air pressure is too low, or (more likely) your nozzle is clogged with gunky paint.

You can get steady air from a cheap POS compressor, just be aware that if you paint regularly you will be replacing it eventually. If you're only going to prime and basecoat models here and there it may last 'for years' only because you use it a couple times a month, but if you paint regularly it's a 'buy nice or buy twice' situation. I'll put it like this: if you buy one of these and it dies, then buy another one and THAT dies, by the time you buy the third one you could have gotten a very high quality, quieter compressor with a 15 liter tank for the same price.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Cool, thanks for the heads up. Luckily my first models airbrushing are actually a thousand flat wall panels so the gently caress up factor is greatly reduced.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

On compressors, IMO the best of the best are SilentAire, but they are quite expensive. Also not cheap, but what I ended up getting are Iwata Studio series, and I personally think that the ones with tanks do deliver 'smoother' air, but that's really based on my experience with tankless compressor's back int the 1980's, so they may have smoothed them out a lot since then (or made the hoses different or whatever).

I think it's important to have good a pressure regulator and a water trap.

To some extent you also pay for how quiet you want the compressor to be also. I went for not-cheap and quiet (and even more not cheap and even more quiet would be the SilentAire).

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Cool, thanks for the heads up. Luckily my first models airbrushing are actually a thousand flat wall panels so the gently caress up factor is greatly reduced.

IMO this is the ideal first use for the noob airbrusher. You'll learn a lot doing loads of flat stuff. You can try lines, circles and all that good stuff that literally makes up half a day at the airbrushing workshops I help teach. You'll also be forced to learn how to keep your airbrush clean (the #1 thing to learn) and work with working distance, air pressure and paint thickness (what I call the triangle of airbrushing).

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Don't be super scared of airbrush cleaning, by the way. It's nothing high-precision or whatever and ultimately if you gently caress up it's fixable since you can always disassemble it and leave it in spirit for ages. This isn't to say you can half-rear end it, but it's really mostly about frequency and time-consuming-ness, not that it's hard.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
It isn't the maintenance that intimdates me, I'm sure it's easier than late 90's motorcycle carburetors. Just want to be sure everything lines up well before droping so much coin on something I up until now have only ever seen as an unnecessary luxury. Hopefully once I get the basics it'll be an eye opener and I'll be pissed at myself for waiting so long.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I present the first two minis, I've completed in about 6 years now.

Kreoss (left) took about 10 hours and Morvhana probably took 15. She's also my first attempt at a human face.

Lessons learned from these two:
- 40k batch painting is bad and demoralizing.
- Work from the "innermost" areas outward.
- there comes a point where you just have to say gently caress it, otherwise perfectionism will just make it worse.
- gently caress Gnarls Green and its ability to defy gravity where you don't want it to whil never staying put where you really need it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Well if you're familiar with rebuilding bike carbs you shouldn't have a problem taking apart an airbrush to clean it :)

Some pointers:
  • Painting wargaming figures or figures of any size, really, puts you automatically in the 'high detail' range of airbrushing - don't think you'll just jump right into painting highlights on everything like the Infinity wargaming models. It takes lots and lots of practice to get to that stage.
  • Start simple: draw straight lines on paper. Start and stop just before the edges of the paper. Use an easel or clip the paper to a board and hold it at an angle. When you can do lines and start/stop them where you want, try thicker lines. Then thinner lines. Then shorter lines. Make boxes with perfect corners. Shade in the boxes with a solid tone. Shade the boxes with a gradient. Make circles. Circles are WAY harder than you think! Start and stop the circular line at different points so you don't have a large blob of paint on the line. Now shade the circle so it looks like a ball. (this is the kind of thing that takes up half a day of the 2-day wargame airbrushing course I help with)
  • After you know how to use the airbrush, start with large models like tanks, buildings, terrain, etc. Then move to smaller models like 40K Rhinos or vehicles about the size of your hand with 'large' flat panels. Then move to something size of 28mm biker models. THEN and only then try painting individual infantry/foot figures.
  • 90% of your clogs and issues with the airbrush will come from the nozzle - if you try to spray paint that is too thick through a nozzle that is too small, you will have problems
  • Take 'Airbrush ready' paints with a grain of salt - you will still need to thin the paint depending on the work you are trying to do. If you are doing extreme detail work on a model 3cm high
  • You don't need to take everything apart to clean your airbrush - just the back end, the needle, the nozzle holder and the nozzle
  • Airbrush cleaner from whatever brand of paint you have will removed paint build-up, but if you have a serious clog and you can't get inside the nozzle (the nozzle on the Sotar for example is absolutely tiny you can soak the working/front end of the airbrush, the nozzle and the needle in cellulose thinners for a couple of hours to absolutely, positively remove any paint build-up
  • Do your disassembly/reassembly over a towel on a table, not over your lap - losing a $/£20+ nozzle among the detritus of your workshop floor is not a good time
  • Everything goes on finger tight. You don't need to hero on an connections.
  • Use airbrush lube on everything when you're cleaning it, one bottle is cheap and will last you years and years
  • Use plumber's Teflon/PTFE tape on all air connections
  • Quick releases (or multiple air hoses) are your friend
  • Note that some paints (like Vallejo and Tamiya) don't thin perfectly with water, so invest in the same brand thinner as whatever your paints are. Badger paints and primers are perfectly thinnable with water. If you need proof, smell the air/paint particles in the air after doing lengthy spraying with a particular brand.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Any recommended airbrush lube? Its the only thing in that (great) post im not doing already

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Skarsnik posted:

Any recommended airbrush lube? Its the only thing in that (great) post im not doing already

Badger Regdab, iwata's version is called Super Lube, both are fine. Basically use them on any threaded connection, in the nozzle and on the needle. FYI Badger airbrushes don't have o-rings on the nozzle holder or tip, which can allow bubbles to form if there's water or liquid around them - this is totally normal and the airbrush is designed to do that

KFJ
Nov 7, 2009

Ilor posted:

If I ever use it for a game I'll either use FW rules or just count it as a Wyvern/Sawn-off Basilisk :v:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

krushgroove posted:

Use plumber's Teflon/PTFE tape on all air connections

I don't know how this one got by me

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

the OP doesn't really go into details or suggestions on compressors themselves.

FYI I'm putting all of this recent compressor talk into the OP (in a separate browser tab) so this will be available to all in the future, plus I'm adding a little more stuff as it comes to mind. I just helped at a 2-day airbrushing workshop and will be instructing a friend this week so it's all kind of swimming around in my mind and I'm just doing an info dump into the OP.

quote:

I'm sure this is asked a billion times, but are there any defaults? If listing preferences, i'd lean towards affordability over noise or compactness (within reason, I'd still like to be able to keep it at my desk).

Just so you know, there are tabletop compressors you can get that aren't lovely Chinese compressors, I'm about to review on for Sparmax, one of this range of Arism tabletop compressors: https://airbrushes.com/index.php?cPath=400_403_2_156 It only comes on when you press the trigger, I guess some valve in the outlet detects a drop in pressure and the compressor kicks in automatically. This one is a little more than a TC-20T type Chinese compressor with tank, but it should be quieter and actually last a while. I have a larger Sparmax compressor that I really love, it is now my spare compressor after getting a Bambi 15 liter tank compressor. So this might be an option for you, even though it's more expensive than what you might find on Amazon or ebay sellers that 'stack em deep and sell em cheap'.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

krushgroove posted:

How's this for a compressor?

http://www.amazon.com/Iwata-Medea-S...wata+compressor

I can definitely afford to spend more than $100, but low $200 is probably my max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Krushgroove killing it with these knowledge bombs. Thanks man.