Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Why are Steam/Bethesda doing this? All they're doing is shifting the goalpost slightly...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

lol there's a loving cave with a single alien in it who you can kill for the blaster. who told Bethesda aliens were such a big part of Fallout? jesus

There's a crashed UFO in Fallout 2, isn't there?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Protons posted:

Hahaha. Does this mean that the impatient babbys have just hosed over NZ by making them wait another hour, because they couldn't wait?

yes im sure it was because of the relatively small people going to VPN that they did this

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Its still the same, 2am NZDT is 7am CST. or 8AM EST

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Never attribute to malice, etc...

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Odette posted:

Why are Steam/Bethesda doing this? All they're doing is shifting the goalpost slightly...

Yeah strange, it now unlocks at 9AM EST on Monday if I'm not bad at math.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

what country do i vpn to to play this as soon as possible? and when is that and what free vpn should i use?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Protons posted:

Hahaha. Does this mean that the impatient babbys have just hosed over NZ by making them wait another hour, because they couldn't wait?

look at this post

look at how bad it is

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now
OT, but twitter's format is really confusing to me, I have to use a lot of brainpower to figure out who's posting.
Maybe I'm just old.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice

JoshTheStampede posted:

There is also the TARDIS and a shuttle from Star Trek. The absence of both the Doctor and the Enterprise crew is just further proof of Bethesda's blatant disrespect for the sacred canon of this franchise.

Utritum fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 9, 2015

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

guys nothings changed. its still releasing the exact same time as what we thought before, ie 8am est.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah, as a random encounter. There's a Hitchhiker's Guide reference too, Bethesda just likes aliens for some reason, probably because they're creatively lazy and hacks.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Vhak lord of hate posted:

Yeah, as a random encounter. There's a Hitchhiker's Guide reference too, Bethesda just likes aliens for some reason, probably because they're creatively lazy and hacks.

it fits the retro 50's theme of the game doesn't it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alien random encounters have been a part of Fallout since literally Fallout 1 where you find a crashed UFO and loot it.

Look at this, Bethesda going back in time (which is also in the games prior to FO3) in order to add their aliens in!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

So aliens and pop culture scifi references in 2 is fine but in 3/NV/4 means lazy hacks?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

lol there's a loving cave with a single alien in it who you can kill for the blaster. who told Bethesda aliens were such a big part of Fallout? jesus

You can't really have 1950s sci-fi without having flying saucers.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Eonwe posted:

relatively small people going to VPN

Todd Howard's a VPNer?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

LumberingTroll posted:

Its still the same, 2am NZDT is 7am CST. or 8AM EST

Midnight east coast Australia. The true launch place.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

You can't have Bethesda without some jank. You can't have 50s sci-fi without flying saucers and little green men. BIOTRUTHS.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

JoshTheStampede posted:

So aliens and pop culture scifi references in 2 is fine but in 3/NV/4 means lazy hacks?

Fallout 2 was Black Isle/Interplay so it's ok. If Bethesda does it it's lazy/lovely/uninspired writing.

Don't you know anything about goons?

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yes, it's just so derivative.

And other pompous, masturbatory pseudo-intellectual one-liners that basically mean I'm a loving idiot and no one should listen to what I say. Ever.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Honestly if I ever played a bethesda game that wasn't janky and weird, I'd probably be too wierded out to keep playing it

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You can't really have 1950s sci-fi without having flying saucers.

Absolutely you can, especially when you've already beaten the horse entirely with a long boring DLC about aliens.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The aliens annoyed me in 1/2 as well, but at least they were random encounters and not the centerpiece of a whole expansion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Absolutely you can, especially when you've already beaten the horse entirely with a long boring DLC about aliens.

Well someone should tell the non-Bethesda Fallout developers about that because they also had aliens in their games.

It weirds me out that people treat Fallout as some super-serious setting where silly out of place things ruin their immersion when the entire game is basically light Mad Max fanfiction. I think they built it up as something in their head that never existed. That isn't to say Bethesda is perfect but complaining about space aliens in a franchise where you encounter the TARDIS feels goofy to me.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

JoshTheStampede posted:

It's a random encounter in FO1, yeah. It's just weird to keep shoehorning them into the main game though, idk

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I consider the Fallout series to be fantasy because you can convince someone to turn away from an emotional belief with facts and logic.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yep, lots of people like to remember the weird poo poo in Fallout 2 as it was defining of the experience, but it truly was maybe 0.5% of the game. Most of it was in optional, rare, inconsequential random encounters.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Xeremides posted:

Yes, it's just so derivative.

And other pompous, masturbatory pseudo-intellectual one-liners that basically mean I'm a loving idiot and no one should listen to what I say. Ever.

Fallout 3 is derivative of other Fallout games, though. The BoS were in the old games so they're in the Capital wasteland. Super Mutants were in the Old Game so they're in the Capital Wasteland. The Enclave were in the old game so they're in the Capital Wasteland. Harold was in the old game so he's in the Capital Wasteland. There's probably other stuff too, but the explanations for these things don't make sense because it feels like they added them first for brand recognition, and then came up with bad explanations later to justify it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

Yep, lots of people like to remember the weird poo poo in Fallout 2 as it was defining of the experience, but it truly was maybe 0.5% of the game. Most of it was in optional, rare, inconsequential random encounters.

Fallout 2 was a fuckin' goofy game even if you ignore the random encounters. Fallout 1 was only slightly less goofy.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Well someone should tell the non-Bethesda Fallout developers about that because they also had aliens in their games.

Yeah, you should do it! You could be the first person to complain about shoehorned cultural references in Fallout 2. Hold on... apparently that's a common criticism about the earlier games already? At least they had the common courtesy between FO1 and 2 to change up their stupid refs instead of going YOU REMEMBER THESE ALIENS?!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yes, just like the aliens in Fallout 3 and NV (outside of that DLC). You can entirely miss or even turn off seeing them in those games.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Buschmaki posted:

Fallout 3 is derivative of other Fallout games, though. The BoS were in the old games so they're in the Capital wasteland. Super Mutants were in the Old Game so they're in the Capital Wasteland. The Enclave were in the old game so they're in the Capital Wasteland. Harold was in the old game so he's in the Capital Wasteland. There's probably other stuff too, but the explanations for these things don't make sense because it feels like they added them first for brand recognition, and then came up with bad explanations later to justify it.

fallout poo poo in fallout? wtf!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Turin Turambar posted:

The really wacky poo poo sure, but it's not like the game was serious or unsilly. Grampy Bone and the low INT dialogue and a bunch of other poo poo was all just kinda low level silly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, you should do it! You could be the first person to complain about shoehorned cultural references in Fallout 2. Hold on... apparently that's a common criticism about the earlier games already? At least they had the common courtesy between FO1 and 2 to change up their stupid refs instead of going YOU REMEMBER THESE ALIENS?!

So what, precisely, do you think Fallout is? Do you legitimately think it is a dark and mature series about a terrifying realistic post-apocalyptic world?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Buschmaki posted:

The BoS were different in the Capital wasteland than in the original FO. Like they were basically 'the good guys' instead of the insular technophiles like they were in NV.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

Lotish posted:

Yes, just like the aliens in Fallout 3 and NV (outside of that DLC). You can entirely miss or even turn off seeing them in those games.

Uh yeah? If you didn't take Whacky Wasteland you'd never see aliens in New Vegas, it's almost like that was the best option??????? Have a setting for people who don't want to see the stupid references that game devs think are clever.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

So what, precisely, do you think Fallout is? Do you legitimately think it is a dark and mature series about a terrifying realistic post-apocalyptic world?

Why don't you take some Super Jet and raise a Deathclaw to get eggs from it?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Uh yeah? If you didn't take Whacky Wasteland you'd never see aliens in New Vegas, it's almost like that was the best option??????? Have a setting for people who don't want to see the stupid references that game devs think are clever.

So don't go in that cave that has the alien in it? Boom, no alien.

Point is all the games have had goofy one off alien poo poo. It's a tradition like the Silent Hill UFO ending. It's not a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

They can do whatever they want but aliens fit extremely deeply in the stuff the games are pulling from. So it's weird to single them out as being a thing that needs to go.

• Locked thread