Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Edward Nigma is one of the most consistent and coherently written characters on Gotham. Not only is it an interesting take on the character, they are nailing the execution. Not only is all this crazy poo poo going on, but it's pretty clear that Nigma is in his own little world. He's so disconnected from all the other craziness, you can see how, in his mind, he's the star of his own "Dexter" style show. All the other characters are busy worrying about each-other, Penguin was worrying about Falcone/Maroni/Fish, Gordon was worrying about Penguin and Barbara, Alfred's worrying about Bruce, Selina and Bruce are worried about each-other, Harvey is worried about his own skin... Nigma spent and entire season worrying about getting Ms. Kringle to like him. That was his biggest priority.

Also the scene where Penguin and Riddler first meet in the station is priceless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I am working my way through season 1 with friends.

At first, I was angry, because this show kept doing silly things. then I saw the Balloon Man.

I love you, Gotham. I love you so much, you stupid, over dramatic, goofy show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
yeah, I thought it was really dumb at first too. But they did the best possible thing a "prequel" series can do: not give a gently caress about trying to lead up to some recognizable continuity. By just going with the characters they have and writing the well instead of worrying about how they are supposed to end up as their "familiar selves", they've done something great.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Large parts of Season 1 feel like the first 2-3 episodes of Spartacus. The show bounces between being a gritty detective procedural and an awful soap opera about Jim and Barbara's home life, before realising in the final third-ish that really it works best when it's being goofy as hell.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Alchenar posted:

Large parts of Season 1 feel like the first 2-3 episodes of Spartacus. The show bounces between being a gritty detective procedural and an awful soap opera about Jim and Barbara's home life, before realising in the final third-ish that really it works best when it's being goofy as hell.

I haven't finished the first season; does Barbara ever learn how to wear pants?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Writer Cath posted:

I haven't finished the first season; does Barbara ever learn how to wear pants?

crazy pants.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I was sort of expecting Riddler's arc to eventually be less split personality and more him sort of justifying and excusing his crimes using messed up logic.

That doctor he set up? I sort of figured that the doc WAS stealing body parts and Eddie knew it and figured, "He's going to get caught sooner or later, I might as well just stage things to happen so he gets caught for it now so I get my job back."
The cop he killed? "Well, you know, he would have just been killed during the mob war, killed himself when Barnes fired him or died when the Maniax burst into the station, anyway! I don't even feel 'guilty' about it, if I think of it like that..."
Etc.

edit: I know it's likely not an established take, but I could see some of that as part of A take on the evolution of the Riddler or something: Him acting as if he's not really doing anything 'wrong' because he's just doing what he believes was due to happen anyway with or without his involvement.

Electronically swindles a bank of $100K? The bank manager is already doing that, so all he did was divert the money to himself, instead.
Steals a bunch of personal information from a database? People unwittingly, unwillingly and unknowingly gave it up to that database in the first place, so why should they mind HIM having it any more than the government or big business?
Hijacks a shipment of ancient antiques? These treasures have been stolen back and forth for centuries. Doesn't he have as much right to them right now via his methods as anyone else who has possessed them over the years?

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 9, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think the split is gonna continue that much. I think we're seeing his psychotic "no glasses wearing" repressed personality educate his prime personality about his potential. Like the "evil" Nigma won't "take over" so much as become the mentor.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the thing from the last episode is that "evil" Eddie has taken over.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So the fact they cast Bruce and Selina as real teenagers has bit them right in the rear end hasn't it.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

sbaldrick posted:

So the fact they cast Bruce and Selina as real teenagers has bit them right in the rear end hasn't it.

How so?

Isn't it what the show intended? Isn't that the whole premise of the entire show? I sense that people who are really familiar with the comic books get a little peeved at the show because they get all uppity about, "that's not how it's supposed to be". I think the show is being exactly what it intended to be and it's awesome entertainment; it's a comic book and at the end of the day, in the world of comics, they can do anything they want.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nygma's woods outfit 100% nerd accurate.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
hahha poor Riddler.

Also who eats a sandwich next to a dead guy?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of a cop out with Barbara there.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Oh yes.... he would eat the sandwich.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Galivan is such a dick, he wasted no time burning that folder. Though I guess there is a good chance he really did figure out who killed Bruce's parents, else why care if the folder had false information? Also interesting Bruce said he wants to kill his parents killers, Batman is pathological about his no kill rule, so either Bruce is going to go through a event to make him no longer wants to kill, or they are going for a different kind of Batman. Though there has been versions of Batman who has killed people, also that this show is just going with its own canon anyways, so really anything can happen.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Barbara has gone insane
She fell and bruised her brain
After she implicated Galavan!

To the warehouse they drive
The missing mayor's alive!
But can Jim figure out the master plan?

Will Burce Wayne fin'ly see what we all see
About this man who wants to kill his fam'ly?

Oh, and lest we all forget
Penguin and Riddler met
The crazy's 'bout to hit... the... fan....

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shnag posted:

Galivan is such a dick, he wasted no time burning that folder. Though I guess there is a good chance he really did figure out who killed Bruce's parents, else why care if the folder had false information? Also interesting Bruce said he wants to kill his parents killers, Batman is pathological about his no kill rule, so either Bruce is going to go through a event to make him no longer wants to kill, or they are going for a different kind of Batman. Though there has been versions of Batman who has killed people, also that this show is just going with its own canon anyways, so really anything can happen.

My guess on both of your ideas. 1. i think galivan is in someway related to the wayne murders, I dont think he called the hit, but i think he probaly knows or works under the people who did or he is just lying out his rear end.

2. I think bruce is going to find the killer and its going to turn out the killer is some big blubbering dude who only did the hit because he needed to pay for his kid/ or his family was under threat. bruce will feel bad for him and realize killing him isn't worth it.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
There was nothing about Galavan's offer that shouldn't have set off a billion alarm bells. Besides it being extortion like Alfred said, you have the mayor admitting he's sitting on evidence of an ongoing murder investigation and using his position to increase his business assets.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 10, 2015

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yeah I really expected Alfred to point out that a good man doesn't extort kids to clean out corruption.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah I really expected Alfred to point out that a good man doesn't extort kids to clean out corruption.

But he's totally cool with Bruce exploiting kids to fight crime later in life.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Bruce was prepared to kill his parents killer in Batman Begins so it's hardly a unique take on the character.
Sad about the cop out with Barbara in the end but a pretty solid episode all the same.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Crazybarb falls out the window: YESSSSSSSSSS-
Crazybarb somehow survives: -NNNNNnnnooooo

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Gawain The Blind posted:

Crazybarb falls out the window: YESSSSSSSSSS-
Crazybarb somehow survives: -NNNNNnnnooooo

Yeah, pretty much.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was such a weird moment too. They gave closure to Barbara's story and then say, nah, she's still alive.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

After Gordon gets dumped next episode he's going to marry Babs for real.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

radical meme posted:

How so?

Isn't it what the show intended? Isn't that the whole premise of the entire show? I sense that people who are really familiar with the comic books get a little peeved at the show because they get all uppity about, "that's not how it's supposed to be". I think the show is being exactly what it intended to be and it's awesome entertainment; it's a comic book and at the end of the day, in the world of comics, they can do anything they want.

They clearly wanted Bruce and Silver to get married so she would get the money after he was murdered but it doesn't really work when he's 15?

Also the actor playing Bruce had a massive growth spurt during the break and it's really noticeable.

Crazy Barbara was great and kind of wanted her to kill Lee.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

sbaldrick posted:

They clearly wanted Bruce and Silver to get married so she would get the money after he was murdered but it doesn't really work when he's 15?

How could they want that when they already had Bruce cast for an entire season?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
That was Galavan plan, at least at one point during the show.

I didn't say they where going to murder him.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

sbaldrick posted:

That was Galavan plan, at least at one point during the show.

I didn't say they where going to murder him.

No, I think they are going to murder Bruce Wayne in this Batman prequel show. Just really take it in a new direction.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Another thing I liked was Nygma trying to berry Kringle while having a hunter just come on by. I was hoping that it would become a running joke. Just as he is about to bury one body someone else shows up out of nowhere, and that is how he becomes the biggest serial killer in Gotham.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Barbara being crazy really improved her from her "Why me?" rich girl routine in season 1. I'm thinking the characters with plot armor through the comics might still have that, considering she survived the fall and Lee survived too. Not to mention Lee's probably going to break up with Gordon and Alfred took a fancy to her earlier. He did in the animated series.

I wonder what Nygma's going to try to worm out of Penguin as collateral for helping him now.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Madkal posted:

Another thing I liked was Nygma trying to berry Kringle while having a hunter just come on by. I was hoping that it would become a running joke. Just as he is about to bury one body someone else shows up out of nowhere, and that is how he becomes the biggest serial killer in Gotham.

His reaction to someone eating the sandwich and walking off was great. "For a secluded forest there sure is a lot of foot traffic" had me laughing way harder than it should.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Pan Dulce posted:

Barbara being crazy really improved her from her "Why me?" rich girl routine in season 1. I'm thinking the characters with plot armor through the comics might still have that, considering she survived the fall and Lee survived too. Not to mention Lee's probably going to break up with Gordon and Alfred took a fancy to her earlier. He did in the animated series.

I wonder what Nygma's going to try to worm out of Penguin as collateral for helping him now.

Underworld contacts most likely. The Riddler gets his henchmen from somewhere.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Yeah... I'll tell you, he sure started slow, but Riddler is certainly padding his body count respectably.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I just really want Eddie and Ozzie to be buddies, especially after this episode. :allears:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Madkal posted:

hahah, berry

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

I just noticed people writing about how he could eat next to a dead body. Now, a picnic in the woods is loving insane, but he works at the morgue and you've seen him pick onions off his food on top of the body tanks and ate half a cranberry muffin before dissecting a corpse.

After awhile, you just get used to bodies and eat when you please.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
I'm not a comic book junkie Batman fan, but I still wonder why Nygma's split personality schtick wouldn't make more sense with, say, Harvey Dent. I was hoping the relationship with Kringle would go on at least a little while longer. Maybe her being taken out by someone else turning him into the psycho we know and love.

I love crazy Barbara, but I wonder why the hell Gordon would name his only daughter after her. Maybe she finds out the truth about her namesake and that sets her on the "Batgirl" path.

Lesson learned from Barb's arc: BDSM is for evil wealthy people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Gimmedaroot posted:

I'm not a comic book junkie Batman fan, but I still wonder why Nygma's split personality schtick wouldn't make more sense with, say, Harvey Dent. I was hoping the relationship with Kringle would go on at least a little while longer. Maybe her being taken out by someone else turning him into the psycho we know and love.

I thought so too. Maybe she died to make her parents suspicious and bring about Calendar Man as a villain of the week?

• Locked thread