Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
If it's two story that's trickier. Unless you're not shy about cutting access holes in sheetrock and long bits to go through headers :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can I run two antennas into a tuner using a splitter? I've got one antenna that is really directional and I'd like to try a second to pick up some additional channels but I'm not sure how or if that works.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Martytoof posted:

Can I run two antennas into a tuner using a splitter? I've got one antenna that is really directional and I'd like to try a second to pick up some additional channels but I'm not sure how or if that works.

You need a combiner. And a calculator

http://www.tvantenna.com/support/tutorials/combining.html

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Martytoof posted:

For what it's worth, radio shack has a rotator for $30 right now. I'm a ham radio nerd so that's why I got mine, but they're designed for directional TV antennas.

https://www.radioshack.com/outdoor-antenna-rotator/1501245.html
http://www.radioshack.com/100-ft-rotator-control-cable/1501150.html

I totally understand why you wouldn't want to go this route, but I thought I'd put it out there for anyone else considering OTA TV.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

PuTTY riot posted:

For what it's worth, radio shack has a rotator for $30 right now. I'm a ham radio nerd so that's why I got mine, but they're designed for directional TV antennas.

https://www.radioshack.com/outdoor-antenna-rotator/1501245.html
http://www.radioshack.com/100-ft-rotator-control-cable/1501150.html

I totally understand why you wouldn't want to go this route, but I thought I'd put it out there for anyone else considering OTA TV.

That's pretty cool and way cheaper than I thought it would be. Stupid question, does it run on batteries or do you have to wire it up?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's actually really cool, thanks for posting it. I don't think I'll go that route because I'm using an HDHomeRun to record automatically so I don't really want to manually change rotation but this is great for people who may not need that.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm imagining a 7 year old twisting it a dozen times in one direction for fun and pulling the cable out of the jack due to the tension.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Huxley posted:

I live in a two-story house and I'd like to put an antenna in my attic. However I need to maintain my TWC hookup for internet for the time being.

Is there an easier way of doing this than just paying someone to string me a co-ax line from the attic through the wall and installing a new outlet at our downstairs TV? Alternately I guess running the line outside and through our crawlspace, but that's six of one in that I can't really do either on my own.

Do you have any existing coax outlets on the second floor? You should be able to snake from the attic to that outlet box, then use the existing coax run to get down to the basement.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Tyson Tomko posted:

That's pretty cool and way cheaper than I thought it would be. Stupid question, does it run on batteries or do you have to wire it up?

You have to wire it up, it runs on AC through a controller box you'd presumably put next to the TV.

Hadlock posted:

I'm imagining a 7 year old twisting it a dozen times in one direction for fun and pulling the cable out of the jack due to the tension.

It won't let you do that. It goes from north, 360 back to north, and then 360 back to north again.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone try CBS All Access yet? They've been in the news recently due to the new Star Trek series announcement but I'm wondering if it's dogshit like Dish Anywhere or good like HBO Now.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Thwomp posted:

Anyone try CBS All Access yet? They've been in the news recently due to the new Star Trek series announcement but I'm wondering if it's dogshit like Dish Anywhere or good like HBO Now.

I tried it back when it first launched and it was bleh. It had the same weird issue as Hulu of only having certain episodes of a show instead of the full backlog (mostly classic shows)

I need to give it enough try now that they added my local affiliate. I wouldn't pay $6 a month without live stream access.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Anyone have the Nvidia Shield TV? Thinking about getting that since it has 4K, Kodi, and all the normal Netflix, Hulu, and other apps (except Amazon, which I think can be sideloaded). Plus I think it has Google voice search, which I prefer to Siri. Hoping that there is a Black Friday deal on one.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The shield can't sideload amazon.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

kri kri posted:

The shield can't sideload amazon.

I think it can view Amazon Video stuff through a web browser (or at least I think that's what Shield owners have told me)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Call Me Charlie posted:

I think it can view Amazon Video stuff through a web browser (or at least I think that's what Shield owners have told me)

That's gotta be fun to control with a remote.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
The way workarounds to get browser content remote-friend always go for me is, I go to the trouble of doing it - it's always more fantastically complicated than it appears - says "hah! gently caress you Amazon/Hulu/Vudo/etc. I got mine and you can't stop me" and then 2 weeks later stop using it.

Which is why I have one small box that runs Kodi really well and a FireTV for everything else.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ixian posted:

The way workarounds to get browser content remote-friend always go for me is, I go to the trouble of doing it - it's always more fantastically complicated than it appears - says "hah! gently caress you Amazon/Hulu/Vudo/etc. I got mine and you can't stop me" and then 2 weeks later stop using it.

Which is why I have one small box that runs Kodi really well and a FireTV for everything else.

I just have a WIn8 HTPC and keyboard/touchpad combo. It's always worked great.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I just have a WIn8 HTPC and keyboard/touchpad combo. It's always worked great.

Maybe, but a keyboard w/touchpad doesn't count as a "remote" in my house :)

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ixian posted:

Maybe, but a keyboard w/touchpad doesn't count as a "remote" in my house :)

I have a Harmony Remote, there's a button on it for "COMPUTER". Wife presses it, and then the keyboard/touchpad takes over, and the remote just does volume. It's passed the wife test, my parents (that are computer illiterate) and my baby sitter. It could not be easier.

It's for sure worlds easier than hacking together a solution to make all the different types of STB work together.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I have a Harmony Remote, there's a button on it for "COMPUTER". Wife presses it, and then the keyboard/touchpad takes over, and the remote just does volume. It's passed the wife test, my parents (that are computer illiterate) and my baby sitter. It could not be easier.

It's for sure worlds easier than hacking together a solution to make all the different types of STB work together.

Honestly at this point the only real rear end in a top hat streaming service is Amazon and if you have a game console, problem solved.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm not trying to cut cable entirely but I want to get rid of this lovely tuning adapter box for SDV channels. Is there a way to find out which channels are SDV so I can gauge if I'll miss the tuning adapter?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm not trying to cut cable entirely but I want to get rid of this lovely tuning adapter box for SDV channels. Is there a way to find out which channels are SDV so I can gauge if I'll miss the tuning adapter?

If it's the Cisco STA1520, just power it off with the little button on the front.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Panty Saluter posted:

If it's the Cisco STA1520, just power it off with the little button on the front.

But if I turn off/remove the TA, SDV channels will still work for a little bit longer right? I just want to be absolutely sure.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Shaocaholica posted:

But if I turn off/remove the TA, SDV channels will still work for a little bit longer right? I just want to be absolutely sure.

AFAIK they MIGHT still work if they've been tuned recently. I thought the Tivo would remove the channels if it didn't see the adapter.

Worst case remove the TA and reacquire the channel lineups. Comedy option: call the cable company :v:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Heads up if you were interested in the Nvidia Shield TV. They're now including a free remote (it already came with the controller), and Amazon has it for $174.99. Once you add it and the remote, the discount is at the checkout screen. Supposedly there are also $50 Nvidia codes for buying directly from Nvidia's store for $199 (before code and with remote) that were emailed out, but I didn't receive one. Went ahead and picked one up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U33Q940

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Amex has $15 off $60 @ amazon right now also.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Silly Burrito posted:

Heads up if you were interested in the Nvidia Shield TV. They're now including a free remote (it already came with the controller), and Amazon has it for $174.99. Once you add it and the remote, the discount is at the checkout screen. Supposedly there are also $50 Nvidia codes for buying directly from Nvidia's store for $199 (before code and with remote) that were emailed out, but I didn't receive one. Went ahead and picked one up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U33Q940

This is the best cord cutting device I've ever used. If you get a HDHomerun + antenna you can pull in local channels through the Android TV. I use Plex to play local files and since it can chromecast that fills the app gap. Its super fast and simple to use too. Everyone who has came over and used it is impressed. The only downside is its probably vaporware. I highly doubt Google will do anything with Android TV and it'll be ignored by app developers.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I picked up a HDhomerun and feed it into Plex and now I can watch OTA on my AppleTV which is awesome.

I've got a weak signal on a few USA TV stations (FOX, etc) so I figure I could get some kind of amp, but I'm not sure what kind of amp would help me best. Add to this the fact that I live within a mile or two of the CN tower which is where all my strong channels come from, I don't want to overload THOSE signals so I kind of feel like I'm looking at a distribution amplifier since I read they are able to resist overloading already strong signals.

Any thoughts?

Also anyone know whether there's a way to get your signal strength on the HDHomeRun?

5436 posted:

This is the best cord cutting device I've ever used. If you get a HDHomerun + antenna you can pull in local channels through the Android TV. I use Plex to play local files and since it can chromecast that fills the app gap. Its super fast and simple to use too. Everyone who has came over and used it is impressed. The only downside is its probably vaporware. I highly doubt Google will do anything with Android TV and it'll be ignored by app developers.

If you run Plex, take a look at http://hdhrviewer.zynine.net -- I can vouch for the v2 version. I'm using it right now to watch OTA from my HDHR on my AppleTV via plex. Owns so much.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 22, 2015

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Martytoof posted:

I picked up a HDhomerun and feed it into Plex and now I can watch OTA on my AppleTV which is awesome.

I've got a weak signal on a few USA TV stations (FOX, etc) so I figure I could get some kind of amp, but I'm not sure what kind of amp would help me best. Add to this the fact that I live within a mile or two of the CN tower which is where all my strong channels come from, I don't want to overload THOSE signals so I kind of feel like I'm looking at a distribution amplifier since I read they are able to resist overloading already strong signals.

Any thoughts?

Also anyone know whether there's a way to get your signal strength on the HDHomeRun?

Use the software to find this out at https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2484. This is what it looks like on my Mac.

I've also had luck with Electroline amplifiers, but not sure about overloading signals. (http://www.amazon.com/Electroline-EDA-2400-Booster-Amplifier-Warranty/dp/B001222256)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Beauty all around, thanks!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Any thoughts?

If you run Plex, take a look at http://hdhrviewer.zynine.net -- I can vouch for the v2 version. I'm using it right now to watch OTA from my HDHR on my AppleTV via plex. Owns so much.

http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-LNA-200-Boost-Digital-Preamplifier/dp/B00DQN3R9O

Available at home improvement stores also

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Wow, that thing looks like it's improved a lot since that horrible weekend I spent a year ago getting it to work on the name of "Chromecast is the one true box!"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

Wow, that thing looks like it's improved a lot since that horrible weekend I spent a year ago getting it to work on the name of "Chromecast is the one true box!"

For me it was literally

- drop it into plugin directory
- go to plex server config and set HDHR IP in plugin settings
- watch tv

If you want to set up zap2it TV guide thing then there's more to do, but tbh I didn't bother just yet.

At that price I don't really have much to lose. Thanks!

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 22, 2015

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Martytoof posted:

For me it was literally

- drop it into plugin directory
- go to plex server config and set HDHR IP in plugin settings
- watch tv

If you want to set up zap2it TV guide thing then there's more to do, but tbh I didn't bother just yet.

I did the zap2it guide data thing too. It's a shame Plex's channel interface isn't more versatile, file->folder really doesn't lend itself to TV channels.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

I did the zap2it guide data thing too. It's a shame Plex's channel interface isn't more versatile, file->folder really doesn't lend itself to TV channels.

Yeah, the only issue I have with Plex is that it's very pigeonholed into certain types of media. I have a bunch of CBTs that don't work in the regular "TV SHOW -> SEASON -> EPISODE" plex context either.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Worth noting that HDHomeRun has released an official Kodi add-on with EPG guide.

https://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/kodi/

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Call Me Charlie posted:

Worth noting that HDHomeRun has released an official Kodi add-on with EPG guide.

https://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/kodi/

Will this work with DRM channels? I know this is the cord cutter thread but I have a sweet deal with Comcast which includes HBO, but right now the only option to watch HBO is via Media Center and Media Center extender on my Xbox 360. Unfortunately this means I can't upgrade my home PC to Windows 10.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Medullah posted:

Will this work with DRM channels? I know this is the cord cutter thread but I have a sweet deal with Comcast which includes HBO, but right now the only option to watch HBO is via Media Center and Media Center extender on my Xbox 360. Unfortunately this means I can't upgrade my home PC to Windows 10.

It does not. And unless Kodi starts supporting closed source/executable addons it never will because there is next to no chance of them getting certified for DRM. Right now the addon can't support it.

What I think is more likely is the separate HDHomeRun app, which eventually will support copy-protected channels, will be used in conjunction with an Android version of Kodi. This is how Netflix, HBO Go, etc. work today - Kodi running on a decent Android box (like the Shield or Nexus) can launch Android apps from the menu and those generally support the standard remote commands, etc. It's not quite an integrated solution but it's close, and about as user friendly as it's likely to get.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Anyone got experience with the roku 4?

I had a 3 and liked it, then got a fire TV. After using the fire for a while, I think I prefer the roku overall, but I gave my 3 away to a family member.

So I am now considering getting the 4. I don't really need 4k, but if the system is snappier and such I would be down. So, anyone using one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ixian posted:

It does not. And unless Kodi starts supporting closed source/executable addons it never will because there is next to no chance of them getting certified for DRM. Right now the addon can't support it.

What I think is more likely is the separate HDHomeRun app, which eventually will support copy-protected channels, will be used in conjunction with an Android version of Kodi. This is how Netflix, HBO Go, etc. work today - Kodi running on a decent Android box (like the Shield or Nexus) can launch Android apps from the menu and those generally support the standard remote commands, etc. It's not quite an integrated solution but it's close, and about as user friendly as it's likely to get.

Good to know, thanks. Windows 7 and Media Center it remains. :)