Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maus
Apr 15, 2010

VAC ban(s) on record.
Do you guys think that raid mechanics are operated by capricious machine spirits that randomly decide to own your group or something?

Maus fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Path of Exile used to have horrible desync problems where running through a pack of mobs (mobs have collision detection) or a narrow door was effectively a death sentence. People would claim that it was just part of the game, that if you didn't know not to path through mob packs or doors you were just a scrub and needed to git gud, etc. It was a dumb excuse there and it's a dumb one here.

(They introduced lockstep networking in 2.0 and it basically fixed the problem unless you're on an utterly shittastic connection.)

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

vOv posted:

Path of Exile used to have horrible desync problems where running through a pack of mobs (mobs have collision detection) or a narrow door was effectively a death sentence. People would claim that it was just part of the game, that if you didn't know not to path through mob packs or doors you were just a scrub and needed to git gud, etc. It was a dumb excuse there and it's a dumb one here.

(They introduced lockstep networking in 2.0 and it basically fixed the problem unless you're on an utterly shittastic connection.)

That's a pretty good comparison, although I kind of agree with both sides. If you wanted to play PoE hardcore with desync, you'd better learn how to tell when it was happening and how to avoid it when possible. Same with this game, complain all you want, but you'd better learn how to play the game as it is right now.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

On AS3 last night I ran through a tether, grabbed it and then it disappeared off of me and went back to the person I pulled it from. I was inside of them and no one crossed my path. It switched to me and then just went back. The people I ran with said that the tethers tick on eorzean minute like a dot and you have to have a tick with them to pass them. I had never had this problem before.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Pews posted:

That's a pretty good comparison, although I kind of agree with both sides. If you wanted to play PoE hardcore with desync, you'd better learn how to tell when it was happening and how to avoid it when possible. Same with this game, complain all you want, but you'd better learn how to play the game as it is right now.

Oh, definitely. I never played HC (because I'm a casual babby) but I got used to hitting my /oos macro any time I ran through a strongbox or whatever. But at least in PoE, the developers couldn't exactly choose to not have huge mob packs or doors. The FFXIV devs could easily just stop making tethering mechanics if they're as prone to messing up as people are saying.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
There are issues with netcode in FFXIV but it's not random - once you get used to the movement and timing it's entirely possible to do any given mechanic flawlessly every time. Remember, what you see on your screen isn't actually what the game thinks is happening.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Chyea posted:

There are issues with netcode in FFXIV but it's not random - once you get used to the movement and timing it's entirely possible to do any given mechanic flawlessly every time. Remember, what you see on your screen isn't actually what the game thinks is happening.

It's still poo poo and not excusable in a modern, non-korean (and thus not written for a practically LAN-connected player base) online game.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011

megalodong posted:

It's still poo poo and not excusable in a modern, non-korean (and thus not written for a practically LAN-connected player base) online game.

Agreed, I do wish they'd pump some of their revenue into updating the games infrastructure.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Yeah ffxiv totally isnt made with Japanese connections and closeness to the jp database in mind *ignores latency sensitive bullshit like ninja mudras*

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Chyea posted:

Remember, what you see on your screen isn't actually what the game thinks is happening.

This is the problem.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is the problem.

Every mmo in the history of forever has this problem

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

hello I play from Europe and we work around the game not knowing where we are by making extremely wide movements and playing extremely safe and also planning basically everything to the tiniest detail so we can't have the netcode gently caress us

and then there's A4S

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Maus posted:

Do you guys think that raid mechanics are operated by capricious machine spirits that randomly decide to own your group or something?

Well, obviously. What else would it be?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Doublestep posted:

Every mmo in the history of forever has this problem

I've never played an mmo before.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've never played an mmo before.

More specifically, every online game in the history of forever has had this problem. There's better and worse ways of working around it or disguising it. The "best" solution would be to give the client more authority in determining position, skill use, etc., implement sanity checks serverside to detect when something's going out of normal boundaries, and create a VAC-esque system to clamp down on clientside hacking/cheating. It's what WoW did, and I daresay that it was the smoothest non-FPS online experience I've ever had. The downside to this is that it costs hella money to create the VAC-esque system and continually maintain it.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Wow still had terrible netcode wrt player positioning, it was super apparent in pvp but they didnt do many mechanics that require pinpoint precision like ffxiv in pve

They overhauled the netcode in wod but that was enough of a overhaul to take away dev time on the expansion and make it the steaming pile it was

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Maus posted:

Just the one, but that Tanaka is a real dick.

Stufoo
May 9, 2010

Everybody Loves Me
and that's just about as funky as I can be

Doublestep posted:

They overhauled the netcode in wod but that was enough of a overhaul to take away dev time on the expansion and make it the steaming pile it was

Thank god we got the steaming pile without the netcode overhaul, take another vacation guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
something something ps3 limitations something something

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

It being SE, i'm entirely happy to believe him when he says "server problems" or "not enought people/money" because that company is so badly managed it's not funny.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Please, there were plenty of kernels of corn in this steaming pile, it's just that we've just plucked them out and eaten them all by now.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Maus posted:

Edit: Wow, that's a pretty big gif have a link instead:

http://i.imgur.com/gqKKA48.gifv

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 9, 2015

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Meiteron posted:

Edit: Wow, that's a pretty big gif have a link instead:

http://i.imgur.com/gqKKA48.gifv
that's a problem with that person's perspective, they are never actually on top of that tether thanks to their dumb camera angle - you can see them realizing it towards the end

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
As a note, that gif was from our early AS3 pulls (I'm still on MNK) so we were still hammering out strategy - those mechanic failures became non-existent upon players standing still and tanks refining their movement.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Heavensward is a really good expansion and improved the quality of the game upon release.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Boten Anna posted:

Heavensward is a really good expansion and improved the quality of the game upon release.
:agreed:

And I fully expect 3.1 to also be really good.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I love when people are talking about real things and then Anna chimes in about how much they love the game like a cult member or something.

Man it sure is unfun to level up 12 classes to max instead of 9.
I'M STILL HAVING FUN!

Raiding sure sucks this tier.
GUYS, THIS GAME IS GOOD

Stufoo
May 9, 2010

Everybody Loves Me
and that's just about as funky as I can be
Remember, when you complain about things not working, you're stupid and bad.

Oh those gifs my team took the trouble to upload to twitter and complained about for weeks? gently caress you, we're perfect now

I will say though savage 3 is a fine fight with some technical problems but not directly after 2 and it probably needed to have another fight before it that gave twines out so it'd be easier over time for slower groups. Item level means nothing and shouldn't mean anything to anyone so they should be less stingy with upgrade items sooner for raiders. Basically 3 is bahamut but a bit harder and you generally had less gear than you did back then in relation (while main stat got way more important), saying you beat Bahamut "before echo" doesn't mean much because you were still farming twines /legs/hats from phoenix to get full 130 including weapons. The fact that you didn't clear bahamut in the same gear that it took you to beat phoenix is maybe why you're stuck on 3 and maybe you can or can't get better but SE does need to change gearing up during the patch to help you guys out, and not do it by flooding everyone with hunt twines 4 months after people are burned out.

1 is an easy fight (comparable to turn 6, famously known as being beaten in under an hour by completely skipping phases in rock bottom gear) that only gives jewelry as a reward that no one cares about

2 is an easy fight with almost no danger once you learn it which takes like half a day at most, which gives you belts (jewelry with defense on it) and a single upgrade material for belts and jewelry that no one cares about

3 is okay, just in the wrong place in the raid wing

4 is fuckin stupid and SE should feel bad, even when you are one shotting it you want to stop doing it after your obligatory 8 weeks and then your static can just log out for 7 months

1 and 2 are some of the easiest raid fights since Caduceus and Binding Coil Turn 4. They in no way prepare you for 3, whether it is practice, preparation, or gearing. It's real hard to be excited for one fight, but if you are only playing this game for raiding you are hosed in the head anyway

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Boten Anna posted:

I disagree. I think they got the main story perfect and everything else is a solid meh.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I don't generally think the two 210 pieces from twines people are missing who are stuck on A3S still will suddenly make the fight completely doable.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

You nerds could always quit raiding and come over to noted friendship simulator Eve Online: The good MMO where nothing bad happens to anyone ever.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
don't play eve

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
I love when people are talking about real things and then belzac chimes in about how much they hate the game like a cult member or something.

I'm having a pretty good time with this game!
HEAVENSWARD IS A GARBAGE FIRE

I'm pretty excited for 3.1, should be fun!
THIS GAME CANNOT SATISFY MY BULLSHIT TRYHARD PREREQUISITES

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

kharaa posted:

THIS THREAD CANNOT SATISFY MY BULLSHIT TRYHARD PREREQUISITES

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
do Thing you like

if you don't like Thing any more, don't do Thing

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

ilifinicus posted:

hello I play from Europe and we work around the game not knowing where we are by making extremely wide movements and playing extremely safe and also planning basically everything to the tiniest detail so we can't have the netcode gently caress us

and then there's A4S

I play from the UK with a connection that can best be described as "two sheep licking each other's balls". I am the best at Titan EX.

Just think of it as training in the hyperbolic lag chamber. :downs:

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Belzac posted:

I love when people are talking about real things and then Anna chimes in about how much they love the game like a cult member or something.

Man it sure is unfun to level up 12 classes to max instead of 9.
I'M STILL HAVING FUN!

Raiding sure sucks this tier.
GUYS, THIS GAME IS GOOD

wait if adding 3 classes makes the game worse because you have to level them up then removing classes should make the game better because you save time leveling.

excited for 3.3 to remove MNK PLD and SCH

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Jetamo posted:

I play from the UK with a connection that can best be described as "two sheep licking each other's balls". I am the best at Titan EX.

Just think of it as training in the hyperbolic lag chamber. :downs:

Back when I was first doing T10, I was still on a 230 kb/s connection. Shielding double Preys was an... enlightening experience.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
I hope 3.1 introduces more Big Fish because that's the real endgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Belzac posted:

I don't generally think the two 210 pieces from twines people are missing who are stuck on A3S still will suddenly make the fight completely doable.

Makes more of a difference than you'd think; especially for classes who hate the stats on the Gordian pieces. Ignoring any substats, it's 21 {Mainstat} and between 23 and 26 Vitality, which is a bit more of an upgrade than Hive Weapon -> Eso Weapon was (a bit less damage, but significantly more survivability). Given how big a boost that was, I think you would see a lot of groups clearing (or, at least, not stalling) with that extra boost.

Niton fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 9, 2015

• Locked thread