Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Epic High Five posted:

Post something negative and you'll see why

I did, it was just ignored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Montasque posted:

I just came back from Ben Carson's facebook wall, and the rubes eating out of the palm of his hand. Not one single person is calling him out, instead they are praising him for his 'fact checking' of the media.

This is a good thing, it means the Republicans are going to fall flat on their faces again next year with that kind of attitude at anybody who questions their candidates besides their lil' bigoted selfs

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

double negative posted:

All this Yale poo poo just reminds me that the two leading conservative outsider candidates are both literal Ivy League elites

Yeah, but as Ted Cruz would point out, Trump went to a Lesser Ivy.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
when i read a dude tlaking with every sign of serenity and acceptance about god making his secretary disappear, my first inclination is that this storys gonna end with brad pitt pointing a gun at him demanding to know whats in the box

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I still don't understand how the Donald produced Ivanka

Here's her mom

Maybe Ivanka's plastic surgeon should be running instead of Carson

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Let's take the trophy route to the den.
Twelve Newsies.
Seven Iron Mikes.
Four Golden Coifs.
This is the most prestigious award that Del Monte gives. -Ben Carson, on his wedding night

ATribeCalledKvetch
Nov 5, 2010

I do hate myself, but it has nothing to do with being Jewish.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What's that "Tree of Life"/עץ חייים plaque for?

Doing some quick searching around, it seems to be the Jewish National Fund's Tree of Life award. The wikipedia page on it is pretty vague, and there doesn't seem to be an official JNF page explaining the criteria of the award. However, if the wiki page is to be believed, Ben Carson shares the yoogest honor with Trump.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

TheScott2K posted:

If people gave me this many plaques I'd probably hang them on the walls around my pool table, too. I don't really fault him for this. Dude just has a lot of awards.

The paintings, though. The ones in the public areas of the house. Those paintings...

the motherfucking POVERBS is all you really need to say. how many people are actually involved in the sale and design and implementation of some kind of artsy stonework? no one at any point in this process was like "doesn't this guy really mean pRoverbs?"

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax
More people should rag on Friend Ben about poverbs. I wanna hear what he has to say about it.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Hi there, polling fans!

For whatever reason RCP decided to drop the CBS/NYT poll that had Carson up so Trump is back in #1 on RCP after a three day Carson lead. That lead did interrupt Trump's streak, so his 106 day continuous lead is over. How will polling treat Trump and Carson now? We'll probably have to wait a whole week to find out, as the pollsters are probably waiting until after Tuesday's debate to start another round of polling.

Lower down we have Rubio rising, Cruz hitting double digits, Fiorina continuing her descent into irrelevance and officially joining the clowncar, and a record low for Jeb! Pointing out that Jeb Bush is below Ron Paul 2012 is pointless because of course he is, he's polling on par with Ron Paul 2008 now.

Four years ago we had the collapse of Herman Cain and the rise of Newt Gingrich. I like how much less crowded the 2012 lines are. Huntsman and Santorum stay at the very bottom with Bachmann slightly above them. Compare that to the clusterfuck of sub-Jeb! lines on our graph.

Next week: Gingrich takes the lead four years ago, and we find out what the fallout of Carson's relationship with Friend Bear and the next GOP debate is.

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax
So I take it this was around the time of year when the whole Herman Cain sexual harassment accusations happened.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Gregoriev posted:

Doing some quick searching around, it seems to be the Jewish National Fund's Tree of Life award. The wikipedia page on it is pretty vague, and there doesn't seem to be an official JNF page explaining the criteria of the award. However, if the wiki page is to be believed, Ben Carson shares the yoogest honor with Trump.

Strangely enough, Carson isn't listed as one of the past notable honorees.

Guess who is, though?

Can't tree-stump the Trump!

e: Oh, you already said that, more or less. Bah. Joke ruined! :mad:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Mr Jaunts posted:

What I'm wondering is if/when some journalist will try and find Carson's mother to verify the hammer story. She may have Alzheimer's, but there's gotta be someone unscrupulous enough to go there.

And then Carson will show up at the journalist's house in the middle of the night, have a tense chat and then strangle him.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

haha ben carson is such an incredibly lovely human being. i hope his campaign goes down in flames and he shoots himself

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Lycus posted:

And then Carson will show up at the journalist's house in the middle of the night, have a tense chat and then strangle him.

Carson will bang on his door, then the journalist will open it, apologize to him, and then hand him $10 and a plaque while someone from the local newspaper takes a picture of them.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
god isn't helping you get the republican nomination ben, sorry

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Strangely enough, Carson isn't listed as one of the past notable honorees.

Supposedly he was awarded it in 1998, but I don't see anything except his own biography saying that. Surely he didn't make this up...

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Logikv9 posted:

god isn't helping you get the republican nomination ben, sorry

If he doesn't get it, its because god didn't mean for him to get it.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Shadowhand00 posted:

Then why did god tell him to run

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ohgodwhat posted:

Supposedly he was awarded it in 1998, but I don't see anything except his own biography saying that. Surely he didn't make this up...

This website suggests that he got a Tree of Life award from an organization called Wellness of You. He could, of course, have won two awards with the same name, for all I know.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Shadowhand00 posted:

I wish more Republican candidates would cotton on to this philosophy.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I"m sure there's some justification Carson will espouse when he doesn't get it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

memy posted:

Then why did god tell him to run

It's a test. Afterwards, God will give him $10.

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax
The Republican party used to be so progressive, with progressive presidents Abe Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, and hell, even Nixon was progressive(he was corrupt as poo poo tho). It's sad to see what it has become.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Matthewtheman posted:

and hell, even Nixon was progressive

:nsa:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Lycus posted:

It's a test. Afterwards, God will give him $10.

Which he will spend fundraising to raise $8.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Nixon was progressively more unhinged, I suppose.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Nixon: Ehrlichmann! i need a rundown on how the loving jews are voting this year so i can know how hard to tell them to go gently caress themselves!

Me, observing dispassionately: now theres a good solid progressive

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Joementum posted:

Nixon was progressively more unhinged, I suppose.

Nixon supported a strong central government.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

paranoid randroid posted:

Nixon: Ehrlichmann! i need a rundown on how the loving jews are voting this year so i can know how hard to tell them to go gently caress themselves!

Me, observing dispassionately: now theres a good solid progressive

You're mistaking identity politics for policy

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Zoran posted:

I guess Baby Doc Duvalier was pretty progressive, too

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Zoran posted:

so did Louis xiv, that doesn't make him FDR

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax
No seriously. He tried to get what was basically the ACA by another name passed(which failed 'cause Watergate came to light at around the same time), he was environmentally conscious, and was pro-civil rights, among other things. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidency_of_Richard_Nixon

Read that if you want to get an idea of what his presidency was like. He may have been morally reprehensible, corrupt as poo poo, and paranoid as gently caress, but I'll be damned if he wasn't progressive for his time.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I think there's a lot of be said for the case Tim Weiner presented in his latest book, echoed by Elizabeth Drew, that Nixon was so totally consumed by his fight against international Communism that he let the domestic affairs operate on a system of mostly benign neglect, keeping a lot of the LBJ/Kennedy civil service intact, which is how his healthcare plan came to exist. Other times his scheming lucked us into a good result, as is the case with his plan to reorganize Interior / Energy / Commerce sub-departments into a new bureau reporting to him instead of Congress, or as it came to be called, the EPA.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Matthewtheman posted:

and was pro-civil rights

Nope. No.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
nixon was so passionate about civil rights that he put spiro loving agnew in charge of the integration efforts, a man who simply did not give a good god drat

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
thatd be like hillary clinton making jim webb her representative to talk to blm

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i guess at least SA political know-nothings arent touting Barry Goldwater as a bastion of good forward-thinking politics anymore, so thats a tiny improvement

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

To go back to the Bill O'Reilly "Killing" series, there are A LOT of people who read his books.

I was interviewing for a high school social studies position. In the middle of the interview, the principal started going on and on about how great the "Killing Lincoln" book was and how he now thought that Stanton was behind it. He then looks at me and asks "Have you read the book and if so, what did you think of it?"

Telling him that the book was mostly exaggerated conspiracy theories to sell books and that he should read "Blood on the Moon" instead might have ticked him off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Nixon expanded the civil right to go gently caress yourself

• Locked thread