Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Stare-Out posted:

So I watched The Thin Red Line all the way through for the first time yesterday and one of Zimmer's pieces in it kept bugging me because it sounded so familiar. I thought maybe I'd heard it in a trailer or something but it turns out it reminded me of a track from a completely different movie by a different composer. Going by the comments I'm not alone there.

For comparison:

"Journey to the Line" by Hans Zimmer, from The Thin Red Line (1998)
"Unravelling" by Harry Escott, from Shame (2011)

Could be a coincidence but that's pretty drat close.

The Thin Red Line track just reaffirms how much Zimmer lifts from himself.

Not that he is the only composer that has a habit of doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Zimmer uses the gradually building layers template from Thin Red Line all of the time (see "Time" from Inception for how he's matured it), but that was the most noticeable "first" time he did it. Thin Red Line was pretty influential, as TONS of composers started doing more of that after that as well.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Darko posted:

Zimmer uses the gradually building layers template from Thin Red Line all of the time (see "Time" from Inception for how he's matured it), but that was the most noticeable "first" time he did it. Thin Red Line was pretty influential, as TONS of composers started doing more of that after that as well.

It's actually one of my favorite things in soundtracks because it usually works really well with whatever is on screen. Are there any other notable examples of this because any time I think of it I can only think of "Time" and "Chevaliers de Sangreal" off the top of my head?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Chaotic Flame posted:

It's actually one of my favorite things in soundtracks because it usually works really well with whatever is on screen. Are there any other notable examples of this because any time I think of it I can only think of "Time" and "Chevaliers de Sangreal" off the top of my head?

These are to varying extents, but they all contain elements

- Much of Interstellar is built like that; just has different instrumentation style.
- Leave No Man Behind from Black Hawk Down is a prime, prime example (and possibly his second best of that style, and ripped off in the Battlestar Galactica score). Things like Barra Barra in that score still use that structure as well, while being more vocal and fast pace.
- The first half of Idyll's End from Last Samurai is going like it will be structured that way before breaking off into an action piece
- Pearl Harbor has one in there somewhere as do some of his smaller, lesser known movies
- Injection from Mission Impossible 2
- Solomon from 12 Years A Slave definitely applies

That's off the top of my head; there are more.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Thanks!

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I thought this was appropriate today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMIeql69TXo

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Skoll posted:

I thought this was appropriate today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMIeql69TXo

We're finally back to the future

Maloya
Oct 13, 2012

Chaotic Flame posted:

I really dig that too, and I would add "Surface of the sun" from Sunshine as well as "Waking up" from Oblivion.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Maloya posted:

I really dig that too, and I would add "Surface of the sun" from Sunshine as well as "Waking up" from Oblivion.

How could I forget "Surface of the Sun"?! And thanks for the other suggestion. My playlist for this type of song is growing. :getin:

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Maloya posted:

Thanks for these. Just listened to each a few times and then added them to my permanent playlist. Good stuff.

Not exactly in the same vein, but I was recently reminded of another great slow-build track that gradually builds in intensity to the payoff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrjs93NIaJY

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

"Fearful Odds" is another similar track on the Oblivion soundtrack.

Saturniid19
Aug 1, 2006
brought to you by North Central Positronics
If you have a couple hours, this is fantastic:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365596258/

Anyone with an interest in Danny Elfman's film work should watch it. And that violin soloist, holy poo poo.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Zimmer is touring Europe next year; unfortunate for those of us in the U.S., but oh well.

http://www.themarysue.com/hans-zimmer-tour/

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

poo poo, of course no Finland dates. Just the UK and mainland Europe. :( Would've killed to go to that.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Joe Hisaishi conducts music from The Wind Rises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6QYAm5Wd-0

Love that man :)

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Necro-ing this thread to post the new Star Wars soundtrack.

https://play.spotify.com/album/3fUKGTsiYL1kSroBWBLmmR

In my opinion it's REALLY solid. I've said it in a few other threads but it really reminds me of Prisoner of Azkaban. Less emphasis on repeated melodic themes and more on really nice orchestration and timbre to convey mood.

March of the Resistance is a great track, but the only one I don't love in context. It sounds more like an Indiana Jones piece than a Star Wars one.

Thoughts?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I think it's one of his strongest Star Wars scores. Rey's Theme alone is worth the price of admission.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I can't believe Jóhann "The Theory of Everything" Jóhansson scored "Sicario". Really surprised me that it was the same dude. What a drat score, it's basically "Encounter in London and Bomb Malfunctions" from Williams' "Munich" score stretched out to a full score with a pinch of the broodiness of Howard Shore's "Seven" score. It's broken up with some more traditional bits which are really nice and provide some excellent contrast to when it gets all sinister and dark again.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Carol has the best soundtrack of the year for me. Lots of woodwinds, it's a very distinctive sound.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Forgot about this thread, any scores from this year so far worth looking for?

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

who are mistaken.

effectual posted:

Captain America: Civil War has a few decent tracks but isn't as good overall as the two Avengers soundtracks, which themselves weren't really that great. X-Men: Apocalypse also has a few good tracks but is nothing spectacular overall.

They just don't make big blockbuster film scores like they used to. :(

Next up, I'll be looking forward to Michael Giacchino's scores for Star Trek Beyond this summer and Doctor Strange near the end of the year. I'll also hope the score for Independence Day: Resurgence is good, but I'm bummed they didn't bring David Arnold back as composer.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I really liked Zimmer's scores for both The DaVinci Code and Angels & Demons so I'm pretty curious about Inferno.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

effectual posted:

As someone else said, Civil War had a decent score. I actually liked the Batman v Superman one as well. Those are the two that really stood out for me so far.

Even though its not from 2016, I managed to get my hands on the Bloodsport OST and it's actually pretty good.

Sith Happens posted:

I'll also hope the score for Independence Day: Resurgence is good, but I'm bummed they didn't bring David Arnold back as composer.

I'm hoping the Resurgence score is better than the original one. David Arnold isn't bad at all but the first ID4's complete score was pretty fuckin' repetitive.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Skoll posted:

As someone else said, Civil War had a decent score. I actually liked the Batman v Superman one as well. Those are the two that really stood out for me so far.

Even though its not from 2016, I managed to get my hands on the Bloodsport OST and it's actually pretty good.

I'm hoping the Resurgence score is better than the original one. David Arnold isn't bad at all but the first ID4's complete score was pretty fuckin' repetitive.

Bloodsport is a classic. And it has three montages during 80's rock ballads, it's almost parody. The original music during the final fight is perfect though and I can still remember it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The Neon Demon's score should be fantastic once that comes out.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sith Happens posted:

Captain America: Civil War has a few decent tracks but isn't as good overall as the two Avengers soundtracks, which themselves weren't really that great. X-Men: Apocalypse also has a few good tracks but is nothing spectacular overall.

Civil War missed a golden opportunity by not incorporating Bryan Tyler's Iron Man 3 theme for some of Stark's scenes. That brief quote of it when the Hulkbuster comes together in Avengers 2 is probably the best bit of that score.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

who are mistaken.

Timby posted:

Civil War missed a golden opportunity by not incorporating Bryan Tyler's Iron Man 3 theme for some of Stark's scenes. That brief quote of it when the Hulkbuster comes together in Avengers 2 is probably the best bit of that score.

Agreed. Not having a cohesive set of themes throughout the MCU has been really disappointing. But in the few instances where they have used recognizable themes from one movie to the next (like part of Cap's original theme appearing a couple of times during Cap-centric moments in the first Avengers movie), it's extremely satisfying.

I wish at least a brief quote of Ant-Man's theme from his movie had made it into Ant-Man's big (hurr!) moment in Civil War.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If the MCU movies just brazenly copied the score from The Man in the Iron Mask by Nick Glennie-Smith, I would be happy.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
My biggest disappointment was that, in a Captain America movie, we didn't hear any of Alan Silvestri's awesome march. Like...not even a little bit.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Speaking of Silvestri, I've always thought his Judge Dredd theme was sweet as all hell. As much as I dig the 2012 Dredd soundtrack, this is still the defining Dredd theme to me.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Stare-Out posted:

Speaking of Silvestri, I've always thought his Judge Dredd theme was sweet as all hell. As much as I dig the 2012 Dredd soundtrack, this is still the defining Dredd theme to me.

The movie that The Cure did not remember recording a song for. Alan Silvestri has so much good stuff. He even made the Super Mario Brothers movie enjoyable with his music.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Skoll posted:

The movie that The Cure did not remember recording a song for. Alan Silvestri has so much good stuff. He even made the Super Mario Brothers movie enjoyable with his music.
Yeah just about everything about the 1995 Judge Dredd movie was rubbish aside from the score, but I saw it as him doing what Robert Zemeckis told him to do for Back to the Future which was to make a fairly cheap movie seem like a big blockbuster by making it sound like one, and I think he really did. His score for SMB was good too like you said, and despite the frankly bizarre amount of hate Forrest Gump gets, Silvestri scored the hell out of it. I love his Forrest Gump piano medley. I do think his score for Predator was a bit lackluster and unimaginative and it bugs me because it keeps popping up in every Predator movie ever.

Fun fact about the 1995 Judge Dredd movie; the end credits song was originally supposed to be "Judge Yr'self" by the Welsh band Manic Street Preachers but they had to axe it because one of their members went missing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Stare-Out posted:

I've always said this should have been Captain America's theme. Imagine a subdued version of this as Cap drops his shield at the end of Civil War.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Timby posted:

I've always said this should have been Captain America's theme. Imagine a subdued version of this as Cap drops his shield at the end of Civil War.

Even though it always makes me think of Dredd, it definitely suits Cap better than Judge Dredd, that's for sure. It's too heroic to be as fascistic to suit Dredd anyway.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I always really dug the Predator soundtrack. It matches the tone of the movie so perfectly, and it has a couple of great standout motifs like the main theme, He's My Friend, and Billy Stands Alone.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think if we're going for overly bombastic, martial themes, you can't really beat Basil Poledouris. :rip:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Skoll posted:

I think if we're going for overly bombastic, martial themes, you can't really beat Basil Poledouris. :rip:

Seriously, the whole Starship Troopers soundtrack is amazing but there just is no surpassing "Klendathu Drop". :rip:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Stare-Out posted:

Seriously, the whole Starship Troopers soundtrack is amazing but there just is no surpassing "Klendathu Drop". :rip:

Poledouris recycled and re-orchestrated much of his awesome RoboCop 3 score for this, and it's great.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

Poledouris recycled and re-orchestrated much of his awesome RoboCop 3 score for this, and it's great.

Literally the only thing about that movie that was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Skoll posted:

Literally the only thing about that movie that was great.

Oh, come on. John Castle was chewing scenery left and right, as was Rip Torn, you've got Bradley Whitford doing his Bradley Whitford thing, and watching Robert John Burke try to move around in a suit that was built for an actor like five inches shorter than him is kind of hilarious.