Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

They batleth was a terrible idea and made everything too Ancient Chinese Master Honor Tale, right down to Worves heavy linen judo gi. The klingons should have been a knife fighting race. Disruptors at a distance then all knife fighting, close-in prison riot style like that time on The Wire when they came for Omar. The batleth gave them too much leeway to make Klingons uncool and let Worf be insufferable. Worf should have carried his knife on duty, but with some token peace bond that he'd break in circumstances where the officers were like "gently caress it, we're out of options, just let Worf loose with his knife and see how many he can take down". Instead he became that creepy kid with mall katanas and wall scrolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

shadow puppet of a posted:

They batleth was a terrible idea and made everything too Ancient Chinese Master Honor Tale, right down to Worves heavy linen judo gi. The klingons should have been a knife fighting race. Disruptors at a distance then all knife fighting, close-in prison riot style like that time on The Wire when they came for Omar. The batleth gave them too much leeway to make Klingons uncool and let Worf be insufferable. Worf should have carried his knife on duty, but with some token peace bond that he'd break in circumstances where the officers were like "gently caress it, we're out of options, just let Worf loose with his knife and see how many he can take down". Instead he became that creepy kid with mall katanas and wall scrolls.

To be fair, they seemed to use the Bat'leth when they were being ceremonial and poo poo and the D'k tahg (the knife with the pop-out bits) or the Mek'leth when they wanted to actually get stuff done

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
the only time worf ever bum rushes anyone is when they're super strong like the borg and need to show the audience that they are indeed strong. I mean if we are talking TNG Worf, because in DS9 he'd photon torpedo anyone

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The Klingons are so honorable, they choose a weapon that puts both combatants on the same equally awkward footing.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

MikeJF posted:

To be fair, they seemed to use the Bat'leth when they were being ceremonial and poo poo and the D'k tahg (the knife with the pop-out bits) or the Mek'leth when they wanted to actually get stuff done

True, but the ceremoniality was the problem. It let Worf get all up is own rear end with it and eventually turn into the giant opera-loving redshirt babby that cried to himself aboard the Defiant. I'm saying the relics of Kahless should have been closer to a football hooligan's rusty Stanley knife than a steel chandelier.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah betleHmey are for honour duels and the like. qeylIS forged the first betleH to topple a dictatorship: it's more a weapon to kill governments than individual people.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

muscles like this? posted:

Frakes said "make it more like a dude" and the producers said "no, that's gay."

not just more like a dude, he specifically wanted his love interest to be played by a male actor (so he'd be Gay Kissin It Up On Daytime TV) but that was just not on

frakes rules

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Frakes to writing staff: Riker should bang more dudes. He's an equal opportunity banger.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ambrose Burnside posted:

not just more like a dude, he specifically wanted his love interest to be played by a male actor (so he'd be Gay Kissin It Up On Daytime TV) but that was just not on

frakes rules

They kept trying to get gay stuff in. Like when Whoopi was teaching Data's daughter about love she changed the line from 'when a man and a women' to 'when two people' and convinced the people on set to put a gay couple in the background but then someone snitched to the execs and they came running down to set with lawyers to PUT A STOP TO THAT

And of course one of the lead writers in season one was gay and tried to have a gay allegory storyline with a gay couple there but the execs blocked that and soon after he was pressured to leave. (Gene was super up for it but then Berman and Gene's crazy Lawyer homophobe'd everywhere and convinced him they couldn't do it or the show would be cancelled) (apparently Berman was a massive homophobe)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 9, 2015

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

chaosbreather posted:

During WWII he rose to Captain in the Air Force, 394th Bomber Squadron. He piloted B17s and killed nazis and on one occasion his own men by accident. The man was many things but he was not a naive ponce. It's more he saw the horrors of war up close and so demanded humanity find peace and enlightenment, forced it down their throats because he could never figure out how we'd have it otherwise.

Yeah that's my point. Even after seeing all that he thought humanity could do better. Naive ponce.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

True, but the ceremoniality was the problem. It let Worf get all up is own rear end with it and eventually turn into the giant opera-loving redshirt babby that cried to himself aboard the Defiant. I'm saying the relics of Kahless should have been closer to a football hooligan's rusty Stanley knife than a steel chandelier.

You kinda seem to think that Worf wasn't meant to be the ultimate representation of a space weeaboo who jealously protects the idealized picture of the Honorable Klingon he has in his head from all reality, while real Klingons just didn't give a gently caress and made Worf look like the massive dork he was. This also set the stage for DS9 to give him some actual character development when he was forced to man the gently caress up and face the facts about his heritage.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Worf is also apparently the best hand fighter in the galaxy. He constantly fights the toughest, strongest, and best dudes out there, and beats them without breaking a sweat, usually incapacitating them in a fight to the death on top of everything. Whatever anime code of honor he follows looks like it works.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

Pretty sure the Klingons who tried to board Ops were packing batleths, which was such a terrible decision on the writers' part.

I remember that when Worf dueled Duras, Duras was packing something more like a regular sword, which I thought was a nice touch of "yes the Klingons do have regular swords too".

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Naxuz posted:

You kinda seem to think that Worf wasn't meant to be the ultimate representation of a space weeaboo who jealously protects the idealized picture of the Honorable Klingon he has in his head from all reality, while real Klingons just didn't give a gently caress and made Worf look like the massive dork he was. This also set the stage for DS9 to give him some actual character development when he was forced to man the gently caress up and face the facts about his heritage.

But the payoff of 7 TNG & 2 DS9 seasons of Weaborf wasn't worth the toll it took in getting there. I remain steadfast that cutting the faux-Wushu bits out of the entire Klingon cultural ethos would have resulted in a better character for longer.

Or keep it all the same and have Philosopher/Blademaster Worf be a guest-star in a two parter and not get along with the real Enterprise's chief of security, Skorf, a feckless Nausicaan who likes playing chest-darts and drinking fig juice in 10 forward.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Naxuz posted:

weeaboo doesn't really apply because worf is actually a klingon

and it's not like he was cherry-picking what he wanted to believe when he was young because in early TNG they say more than once "yeah we're still pretty ignorant of how their culture and society works, lol" so it's not Worf's fault that the only material he could find while growing up in Minsk is old imperial propaganda about how Klingons are actually the most honorable and cultured space empire

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

It was originally supposed to be a leprechaun but Colm Meaney said that if they did that he would loving quit.

Ha ha hah makes that one a lot more amusing to me.

Just got up to "Duet", finally a really solid episode dang

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Monkey Fracas posted:

Ha ha hah makes that one a lot more amusing to me.

Just got up to "Duet", finally a really solid episode dang

Nice, you made it through the early sludge and are on your way to Garak country.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MikeJF posted:

And of course one of the lead writers in season one was gay and tried to have a gay allegory storyline with a gay couple there but the execs blocked that and soon after he was pressured to leave. (Gene was super up for it but then Berman and Gene's crazy Lawyer homophobe'd everywhere and convinced him they couldn't do it or the show would be cancelled) (apparently Berman was a massive homophobe)

Found more details, with a lengthy comment by the author:

quote:

"Blood and Fire" was a controversial episode written by David Gerrold. It allegedly involved gay characters and an allegory to AIDS. The rejection of this episode partly led to Gerrold leaving TNG.

In a 2011 interview, Gerrold concurred, "My cause at the time was blood donorship, and I knew that people were so terrified of AIDS they had even stopped donating blood. So I wanted 'Blood and Fire' to be about the fear of AIDS – not the disease but the fear – and one of the plot points involved having the crew donate blood to save the lives of the away team. I thought, 'If we do this episode right, where blood donorship is part of solving the problem, we can put a card at the end telling viewers that they could donate blood to save lives, too.' I thought it was something Trek should be doing, raising social awareness on an issue, and if we did it right, we could probably generate a million new blood donors at a time when there was a critical shortage."

"There were two characters who were not very important to the story, but they were the kind of background characters you need. At one point Riker says to one of them, 'How long have you two been together?' That was it. The guy replies, 'Since the Academy.' That's it. That's all you need to know about their relationship. If you were a kid, you'd think they were just good buddies. If you were an adult, you'd get it. But I turned in the script and that's when the excrement hit the rotating blades of the electric air circulation device. There was a flurry of memos, pro and con. One memo said, 'We're going to be on at four in the afternoon in some places and we're going to get angry letters from mommies.' My response was, 'If we get people writing letters, it shows they're involved in the show, and that's exactly what we want. We want them engaged, and a little controversy will be great for us.' And I said, 'Gene [Roddenberry] made a promise to the fans. If not here, where? If not now, when?' But the episode got shelved anyway and that's when I knew I wasn't going to be allowed to write the very best stories we should be writing. The original show was about taking chances. If we weren't going to take chances, we weren't doing Star Trek. So I let my contract expire and I went off to do [...] other things." [4]

The story was included in the reference book Lost Voyages of Trek and The Next Generation (pp. 85-90). Gerrold later adapted and directed the script for the fan series Star Trek: Phase II. The episode also featured Denise Crosby.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Undeveloped_Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation_episodes#Blood_and_Fire

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Per a Trek novel I read when I was a teenager, medieval Klingons used regular swords, and back then the Bat'leth was just a symbolic ceremonial thing. So modern Klingons, like most hypernationalists, are just dumb idiots who are super proud of a past they don't actually know anything about.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

P-Mack posted:

So modern Klingons, like most hypernationalists, are just dumb idiots who are super proud of a past they don't actually know anything about.

You haven't read Shakespeare until you've read it in the original Klingon.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Klingons are just the worst kind of hipsters, imo

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Weighs 2-3 times as much as the largest two handed sword, and gives you about as much extra reach as a dagger? Seems practical to me.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Germstore posted:

Weighs 2-3 times as much as the largest two handed sword, and gives you about as much extra reach as a dagger? Seems practical to me.

Still worth it for the 'lay it across your forearm and push out your other hand in some tai-chi'-type move.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

P-Mack posted:

Per a Trek novel I read when I was a teenager, medieval Klingons used regular swords, and back then the Bat'leth was just a symbolic ceremonial thing. So modern Klingons, like most hypernationalists, are just dumb idiots who are super proud of a past they don't actually know anything about.

I always assumed the original Batleth were from some prehistoric animal. The antlers of a Klingon elk or something. The spiky slashy antlers were valued by primitive Klingons because they were hard to get, you have to be a great hunter to take down a batleth elk. Those practical primitive people could probably make a bunch of decent horn knives and spear points out of a single rack. Then Klingons loving murdered every last one of them, as klingons do. As batleth elk approached extinction young klingon hunters had to work even harder to bag one and prove themselves, so preserving the antlers intact became a tradition.

Eventually the elk themselves were extinct and forgotten, but replica antler racks endure.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Now that I have thought it through, the batleth does seem well-designed for digging out a stubborn poo

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I must apologize for the Bat'Leth. We have purposely designed it wrong- as a joke.

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.

It was originally supposed to be a leprechaun but Colm Meaney said that if they did that he would loving quit.

Fast-Forward to 1999 and "The Magical Legend of the Leprechauns" (guy has to eat, I guess).

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I don't think I'll ever get sick of Quark and Odo sorta grudgingly tolerating eachother

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

I don't think I'll ever get sick of Quark and Odo sorta grudgingly tolerating eachother

It's telling that the cliched "oh ho ho, the two frenemies get stuck in a dangerous situation and must rely on each other to get out of it" episode with Quark and Odo stuck on a mountain actually managed to be really engaging. Apparently Shimerman and Auberjonois were, in Auberjonois' words, "very dear friends" in real life and it shows through.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Warf made the front page: http://www.somethingawful.com/news/worf-star-trek/

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Naxuz posted:

It's telling that the cliched "oh ho ho, the two frenemies get stuck in a dangerous situation and must rely on each other to get out of it" episode with Quark and Odo stuck on a mountain actually managed to be really engaging. Apparently Shimerman and Auberjonois were, in Auberjonois' words, "very dear friends" in real life and it shows through.

That episode was fantastic and justified them turning Odo into a hu-mon for half a season

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

I was actually a bit disappointed that it didn't mention honour for writing letters of support for his pitch for Captain Worf the TV series.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Premeditated Toast posted:

Fast-Forward to 1999 and "The Magical Legend of the Leprechauns" (guy has to eat, I guess).

I'm assuming the difference is that one is him choosing to be in a movie about leprechauns and the other is racist producers.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Worf should have carried his knife on duty, but with some token peace bond that he'd break in circumstances where the officers were like "gently caress it, we're out of options, just let Worf loose with his knife and see how many he can take down".

The Plinkett review of Nemesis made a great point about this. At the end when Picard beams over to the scimitar on a suicide mission they really should have just strapped a couple of phasers to Worf, handed him a batleth and said "Worf, kill everything you see and shut down the green thing. You're not gonna come back, but you'll save the ship and Earth"

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Worf-as-Worf would decline saying he first needs to pray over an iron bowl of smouldering herbs before going into battle. Kurn-as-Worf would radio in over his communicator saying he got started killing everything aboard the Scimitar 3 minutes ago but appreciates the vote of confidence.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Mondian posted:

The Plinkett review of Nemesis made a great point about this. At the end when Picard beams over to the scimitar on a suicide mission they really should have just strapped a couple of phasers to Worf, handed him a batleth and said "Worf, kill everything you see and shut down the green thing. You're not gonna come back, but you'll save the ship and Earth"

He was like the super mutant from Fallout 3.

No captain, this is clearly your destiny. It would be dishonourable of me to rob you of it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

I thought this got CoD'd by CBS awhile back?

So star trek nerds I require your help.

I'm currently knitting a star trek potholder for a secret santa. It looks like this but it's black and gold (each side is the inverse of the other).

Now since potholders come in groups of two, should I make another identical one in black and gold, one in red and black or gold, or should I make one with another insignia on it. The Klingon insignia would be easy enough to adapt in some combination of red/black/gold.

What should I do, dear nerds?
[/quote]

I would go with doing another emblem but these are awesome and adorable!

Keep in mind I would buy and wear a "Dukat Was Right" shirt so

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Tighclops posted:

I thought this got CoD'd by CBS awhile back?

So star trek nerds I require your help.

I'm currently knitting a star trek potholder for a secret santa. It looks like this but it's black and gold (each side is the inverse of the other).

Now since potholders come in groups of two, should I make another identical one in black and gold, one in red and black or gold, or should I make one with another insignia on it. The Klingon insignia would be easy enough to adapt in some combination of red/black/gold.

What should I do, dear nerds?

I would go with doing another emblem but these are awesome and adorable!

Keep in mind I would buy and wear a "Dukat Was Right" shirt so

Do a federation one and a klingon one, why is this even a question?

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Naxuz posted:

I'm sure that Worf's ginormous Klingon meatshits were too much for the Federation plumbing to handle and he had to cut them into smaller pieces with his bat'leth before they would flush down.

Why do you think he was always guzzling prune juice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Ganguro King posted:

Why do you think he was always guzzling prune juice?

The drink of a (continuously constipated) warrior. Would also explain why he is so irritated, the idealized Klingon diet he follows religiously is mostly made out of weird fleshy things that cause him non-stop irritated bowel syndrome. Real-life Klingons just say 'gently caress that' and make sure to get a lot of fiber on the side.

• Locked thread