Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like it's a little more than Thailand or Cambo but still real-Southeast-Asia cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Buy a bottle of something strong at arrivals if you plan on drinking at all.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

air- posted:

The vaccines will probably be cheaper in Bangkok! I had a great dentist experience over at Bangkok Hospital, though the whole facility was nice and looked really modern.

e: Hello from Chiang Mai, Sunshine House is great! Hmm, first thing I think I'll do is Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep (not keen on renting a motor bike, what's a fair price for a tuk tuk/songthaew to get me up there?) and I managed to get the last spot for Elephant Nature Park on Friday :yayclod:
I'm thinking 3 nights here, then go to Pai. I've had a good amount of solo time now so I'd be ok with a backpacker/dorm type place, suggestions welcome as always!

Another thing... after that I gotta catch a flight from Chiang Mai to Phuket :ohdear: two Canadians I met while traveling Vietnam convinced me to join them in Phuket. Hate to admit it, but I'm honestly thinking they didn't do their research on a "chill" beach destination...

There are still lots of chill beaches on Phuket, they're just out of the way. Steer clear of the southern beaches (Patong, Kata, etc) and go north. Nai Yang and Nai Thon are both nowhere near as busy, still gorgeous, and much more chill. The main problem with this is that unless you have your own transport, getting around on Phuket is a loving nightmare.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

And if you rent a scooter, it'll be a loving nightmare afterwards.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

eviljelly posted:

And if you rent a scooter, it'll be a loving nightmare afterwards.

Or you'll just be dead. The main north-south artery road on Phuket is probably more dangerous than some warzones in terms of deaths per day. What I would do is find a hotel somewhere like Bangtao. Bangtao beach is pretty nice itself, and you can rent a scooter there and get to the other nice beaches without having to ride the length of the island. If you really want to go for a night out in Patong, blow some of your budget and just take a taxi. It'll be pricey and not worth it, but it's better than actually spending all your time down there.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 5, 2015

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Any Singaporeans here that have a list of their favorite hawker centers/stalls? Going to be there for a few days at the end of November and while just exploring sounds fun, an inside opinion would be fantastic.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

I like turtles posted:

Any Singaporeans here that have a list of their favorite hawker centers/stalls? Going to be there for a few days at the end of November and while just exploring sounds fun, an inside opinion would be fantastic.

Here you go.

http://www.slideshare.net/ideasandrew/ceos-hawker-guide

and say hi to SG goons. they are cool

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Bardeh posted:

There are still lots of chill beaches on Phuket, they're just out of the way. Steer clear of the southern beaches (Patong, Kata, etc) and go north. Nai Yang and Nai Thon are both nowhere near as busy, still gorgeous, and much more chill. The main problem with this is that unless you have your own transport, getting around on Phuket is a loving nightmare.
The one exception on transport is in Phuket Town, which is easily the best part of the island (no real beaches, though!). The pink buses run most places and are reliable. Also, Uber works like a charm in any populated part of Phuket at least on my last visit. That really makes a huge difference.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

caberham posted:

Here you go.

This is beautiful. Thank you.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

air- posted:

two Canadians I met while traveling Vietnam convinced me to join them in Phuket. Hate to admit it, but I'm honestly thinking they didn't do their research on a "chill" beach destination...

Because my life works this way, I feel the need to genuinely ask if it's Denise and Gavin.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 6, 2015

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l2htBOnAtM

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
So I'm going to Bali for 3 days next week and I'm just really looking for a super quiet place with a decent beach to hang out in. I'm not looking for expensive resorts or hippies or partying or anything like that, just some place quiet. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'll probably have to stay near the airport my last night since I fly out rather early but as long as I can have a couple days' peace and quiet I'll be happy.

Also, I'm living in Singapore at the moment. It's cool but definitely the weirdest place I've been to in SE Asia. Who else is in Singapore?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

caberham posted:

Here you go.

Awesome, thanks

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
Do we have a thread answer on the non-bleach shower gel question? I'm in Phitsanulok and can't seem to find any that don't list acid in their first three ingredients. It's not too much of a pain since a bar of dove soap works just as well, but I just wondered what you long term residents did about shower gel?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Buy one marketed for men?

I didn't have any trouble back in the day.

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band

Sheep-Goats posted:

Buy one marketed for men?

I didn't have any trouble back in the day.

The two or three I've seen so far have whitening stuff in them, I'll keep looking.

On a side note I was officially defeated for the first time by a plate of Thai food, it was one of those market stall joints with all the curries laid out and I thought I pointed at a red looking one with fish, but I got one that was just offal and huge pieces of ginger. The chicken liver I could cope with but I couldn't finish the plate. First one out of three weeks that I couldn't finish though so not too bad!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ted Ed Fred posted:

Do we have a thread answer on the non-bleach shower gel question? I'm in Phitsanulok and can't seem to find any that don't list acid in their first three ingredients. It's not too much of a pain since a bar of dove soap works just as well, but I just wondered what you long term residents did about shower gel?

Eh I just use whatever. Skin bleaching soaps are total snake oil anyway. If it bothers you just get Tesco or Big C's cheapo generic brand, I doubt it'll have many extra ingredients.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 6, 2015

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Which Island would you guys recommend in Thailand if I'm looking for a quiet (ish) beach to chill out with my girlfriend for a week or so? Preferably with cheaper options than a boutique spa, we don't need much.

e: Bangkok is cray.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Brinner posted:

Which Island would you guys recommend in Thailand if I'm looking for a quiet (ish) beach to chill out with my girlfriend for a week or so? Preferably with cheaper options than a boutique spa, we don't need much.

e: Bangkok is cray.

Koh Lipe, the quieter beaches on Phangan, Koh Chang is pretty close to Bangkok, Koh Lanta, the Trang islands. They'll all be starting to get busy this time of year, so just do your research on the area your hotel's in before you book it.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I'm a fan of the Ko Mak/Ko Kut island chain but it's far to get to.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I'm a fan of the Ko Mak/Ko Kut island chain but it's far to get to.

Any suggestion on Ko Kut accommodation?

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009

FaceEater posted:

Any suggestion on Ko Kut accommodation?

That's the island's weak point - no reasonable priced & good bungalow resort by the beach, last time I checked. The upper-scale resorts are full of bored-looking Japanese seniors and reeks of mediocrity in general.

Tons of potential in Ko Kut for hard-working entrepreneurs imo.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

The novelty of those islands is literally being away from big time 5 star resorts, but having a lot of nature and other activities to enjoy. I stayed at Peter Pan Resort last time.

Also no murders.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
You could spend a week on Koh Si Chang. See the island. Six or seven times.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Someone on /r/legaladvice asking about their mother withholding his passport because she doesn't think he's been clean from heroin and opiates long enough. He wants to go to Cambodia.

:allears:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

FordPRefectLL posted:

Someone on /r/legaladvice asking about their mother withholding his passport because she doesn't think he's been clean from heroin and opiates long enough. He wants to go to Cambodia.

:allears:

Mother loves him still

Sorry mom

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Bardeh posted:

Awesome, thanks. And what should I expect to spend for accommodation, like is it all resorts, bungalows? Doesn't seem like there's many hostel/backpacker type places in the areas away from the touristy parts.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

air- posted:

Awesome, thanks. And what should I expect to spend for accommodation, like is it all resorts, bungalows? Doesn't seem like there's many hostel/backpacker type places in the areas away from the touristy parts.

Yeah, from a quick glance at Nai Yang and Bangtao on Agoda, you're looking at around 750 baht at the cheapest. You can get cheaper than that in Patong and Kata/Karon probably, if budget is a concern. Looks like 350 baht in Patong gets you a bed in a shared dorm, but I (personally) can't think of much I'd want to do less than share a dorm room in Patong.

Something like Naiyang Discovery Beach Resort or Naiyang Boutique Resort look decent enough and near the beach. Do be aware that there's less to do up in the north of the island - I recommended it because you said you were looking for a chill time on the beach. There are some great beachfront restaurants, a nice long stretch of sand, and a few bars in the evenings, but not all that much else. If you rent a bike you can drive to a couple of waterfalls, and the drive to Nai Thon beach is beautiful up through the mountains, too. There are also some (pricey) swanky beach clubs in Bangtao.

Here's Nai Yang beach on pretty much most days I went. A far cry from the overcrowding of most Phuket beaches. I took this photo on Christmas Day, so right in the middle of high season.

Patong is pretty wild and not to my taste, but has much more to do. Kata/Karon beach isn't far from it, and is quieter, but still in (ripoff) tuk tuk distance if you wanted a night clubbing or whatever.

ReindeerF mentioned Uber, so that could be worth a look too. It wasn't really a thing when I lived on Phuket.

E: also, if you do stay anywhere up there, google Piang Prai restaurant. It's in the middle of nowhere and quite hard to find, but the food is amazing and the setting is absolutely gorgeous.

My crappy phone photo doesn't do it justice at all. It's way down a tiny little single track road surrounded by rubber plantations, which opens up into this clearing with the lake, and the restaurant overlooks it. Order 'Puu Lon', they make the best one I've ever had.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 8, 2015

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Bardeh posted:

Something like Naiyang Discovery Beach Resort or Naiyang Boutique Resort look decent enough and near the beach. Do be aware that there's less to do up in the north of the island - I recommended it because you said you were looking for a chill time on the beach. There are some great beachfront restaurants, a nice long stretch of sand, and a few bars in the evenings, but not all that much else. If you rent a bike you can drive to a couple of waterfalls, and the drive to Nai Thon beach is beautiful up through the mountains, too. There are also some (pricey) swanky beach clubs in Bangtao.

Thank you so much!!! Your advice is spot on for exactly what we'd like to do and a resort is perfect. I did feel comfortable with driving on the other side of the road (I'm from the US) on a motorbike here in Pai, but I'm thinking I'll likely stick to being on the resort down there. I'm still not totally confident with big elevation changes...

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Shnicker posted:

So I'm going to Bali for 3 days next week and I'm just really looking for a super quiet place with a decent beach to hang out in. I'm not looking for expensive resorts or hippies or partying or anything like that, just some place quiet. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'll probably have to stay near the airport my last night since I fly out rather early but as long as I can have a couple days' peace and quiet I'll be happy.

Also, I'm living in Singapore at the moment. It's cool but definitely the weirdest place I've been to in SE Asia. Who else is in Singapore?

Hi

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Singapore has it's own thread, I always mention it since I didn't realize it either for a while

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yes, they're too good for the rest of Southeast Asia on the internet as well.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

Saying bad things about Singapore? That's a caning. Talking about caning in the Singapore thread? That's a caning.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Saying bad things about Singapore? That's a caning. Talking about caning in the Singapore thread? That's a caning.
Defamation. cu in court lah

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Well maybe my flight to Bali will be cancelled... Too bad I won't find out until I'm in the air.

Singapore has it's own thread, I always mention it since I didn't realize it either for a while

Huh.. imagine that. Well, it doesn't feel like SE Asia, so I guess it's appropriate.

Hey how's it going?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

ReindeerF posted:

I guess that's why they're all offline and not posting in the Singapore thread

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Blinkman987 posted:

I guess that's why they're all offline and not posting in the Singapore thread
Bitching about Filipino helpers and trading tips on which new condo development and credit card are the most posh takes up a lot of time.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Ye :(

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

So, I'm guessing this is going to get me some flak, but My friend and I want to go to the full moon party at the end of our China/Vietnam/Thailand trip next year. I'm guessing that the common wisdom is "don't go" but it's kind of a bucket list thing, so what can you do? I'm sure there are a million posts about it, but it's a 1000 page thread, can anyone link me to the best advice? Sheep-goats, help a fellow bar slave out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The Full Moon Party is okay. Reserve a room at Lighthouse Bungalows well in advance (contrary to everything else you book in SE Asia, all the poo poo will be full for FMP and Lighthouse is the best anyway). Hike over the hill and do a party.

Over the years it's gone from a quiet almost low key thing where you basically dozed your way through a party until sunup to something chavs and bogans have decided is a must and as such it's lost some of its charm. Anyway don't ride a bike around there when you're wasted, look out for groups of 20 something Brits and avoid them and in general don't buy drugs from the guys walking around going "coke coke coke" or whatever as at least half of them are police who are going to shake someone down and the other half are selling bunk garbage to suckers. Don't swim if you're wasted, at least a few tourists drown every year on Had Rin doing this -- once in a while one gets clocked by a speedboat coming in to drop people off from Samui or whatever, stay in the shallow water. In the old days people used to buy their actual drugs (usually mushrooms) from a bar at the north tip of Had Rin up in the rocks with some really obvious signage out to that regard but I don't know if that's still the case.

Don't bring anything you're not going to carry around in your pockets for the duration. So if you plan to go in the water no phone/camera -- there used to be a place that had lockers so you could take some pictures and then go drop your stuff off in there but I don't know if they're around any more and they're not on the beach. If you don't get a room at Lighthouse and are in one of the bungalows very near the beach be aware that those rooms get ransacked during the party with frightening regularity, probably by professionals. Lighthouse is far enough away that I don't think this is usually a problem (never has been for me) but if you have your laptop or whatever along definitely book a room that's a fair distance from Had Rin. Songteaw run all night so getting down there from wherever your room is won't be an issue.

I don't know, I don't think there's much more to it than that. There aren't tickets or anything, it's just the bars all stay open late and a bunch of extra people show up who normally would not.

raton fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Nov 9, 2015