Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DJCobol posted:

Oh poo poo I got my own row of three. It's not D1 but this will work.

It's the little things that count. Ghetto upgrades are rare nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

kitten smoothie posted:

So is it a thing that PreCheck carries over to people on the same PNR, even if they don't have a trusted traveler number?

I just got it from status on SEA-OGG and it was on my wife's as well.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Arzakon posted:

I just got it from status on SEA-OGG and it was on my wife's as well.

My fiance never gets it when she is traveling with me. Maybe we just haven't gotten lucky or maybe it is just if they share your last name.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Radiohead71 posted:

Before 2015, people used to MR all the time to build up/maintain their status on Delta. Going XXX-NRT-SIN was one of the most popular mileage runs. Hell, I did one from TPA-ATL because I was 192 miles short of the next status. I flew to ATL, had a great lunch at One Flew South and came back the same day. Not as exciting as SIN, but it works the same.

OFS rules, I know the people in there far too well.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

Thoguh posted:

It's the little things that count. Ghetto upgrades are rare nowadays.

I feel like the last time I got one was DCA - ORD like 2 years ago. shits so full now

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

I've done my share of MRs, but people flying TPAC/TATL in loving Y are crazy.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

app posted:

I've done my share of MRs, but people flying TPAC/TATL in loving Y are crazy.

Can verify. I am crazy.

Sitting at NRT with about an hour and a half to kill at the Skyclub before my flight to SIN. The flight here wasn't so bad, but I'll never willingly do a flight that long in coach again. If I can't use a GUC next year then gently caress it, I'm staying platinum.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

DJCobol posted:

Can verify. I am crazy.

Sitting at NRT with about an hour and a half to kill at the Skyclub before my flight to SIN. The flight here wasn't so bad, but I'll never willingly do a flight that long in coach again. If I can't use a GUC next year then gently caress it, I'm staying platinum.

At least you've got the return trip of equal length to look forward to.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

At least you've got the return trip of equal length to look forward to.

Supposedly we are getting into SIN an hour early so that's an extra hour of sleep for me in the transit hotel I hope.

I do have to say though: I'm sitting on a 767-300er somewhere south of Manila, and I was checking out the D1 cabin as I boarded. This should be the same plane setup I'm booked on to Germany this December and I'm not really impressed. I'm sure it's way better than coach, but it was a little underwhelming.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Delta One is a perfectly nice lie-flat business class experience. The 767s are a little annoying since they aren't herringboned. What are you expecting, exactly?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Delta One is a perfectly nice lie-flat business class experience. The 767s are a little annoying since they aren't herringboned. What are you expecting, exactly?

My experience with 767 Business/First (2014 ATL-GRU and GIG-ATL) is that the space for feet isn't big enough for my feet.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Update: boarding in SIN for part two of DJCobols wild ride. The transit hotel was nice, but I'm not sure how much sleep I actually got. Today will suck. A lot. When I get back to TPA tonight I should have about 12 hours to sleep. That should catch me up I hope.

Lesson learned: do never TPAC mileage run in coach. Or just don't MR in general, unless it's short hop domestic poo poo, or you can make a vacation out of it.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
So, what everyone said?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Arzakon posted:

So, what everyone said?

Yup. One plus: I've watched a shitload of movies and I still have like 17 flight hours to go, so more movies!

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

I've done a few MRs and most of the time can manage to find the 3 class sold as a 2 class and get into the intl F hard product. It's really the only sensible way to MR.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
I can't remember if I've said this already but thank you to all the people who gave me advice and other assistance with the AA miles program in Jan this year. Qantas first class is baller as hell.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

DJCobol posted:

Can verify. I am crazy.

Buy Tokyo banana and nikka whiskey at the airport. Narita has the best shopping ever. Except from a few select airports with craft beer

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

caberham posted:

Buy Tokyo banana and nikka whiskey at the airport. Narita has the best shopping ever. Except from a few select airports with craft beer

Picked up a package of Tokyo banana to try later. They look good. Sitting at NRT now waiting for my 11.5 hour flight to MSP. I have a few hours to kill once I get there, and I'm hoping I can just hang out in the Skyclub and watch football until it's time to board for TPA.

Flight from SIN to NRT sucked. Crying babies, smelly old dudes, and a lady across the aisle that kept trying to talk to me in what I assume was Japanese.

chicagobutters
Sep 7, 2015

DJCobol posted:

Flight from SIN to NRT sucked. Crying babies, smelly old dudes, and a lady across the aisle that kept trying to talk to me in what I assume was Japanese.

At least invest in yourself a little bit and pick up some Bose QC25's.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

chicagobutters posted:

At least invest in yourself a little bit and pick up some Bose QC25's.

I have a pair of Sony MDR-ZX770 Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones. They are awesome, but engine noise and multiple crying babies are hard to completely drown out.

3 hours to MSP at this point. I can't wait to get off this plane for a while.

Edit: was on a 777 for JFK to NRT and 767s for both SIN segments. Now on an A330. I actually like this better then either of the boeings I was on this weekend. Seats are nicer and it's quieter.

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 8, 2015

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

DJCobol posted:

Picked up a package of Tokyo banana to try later. They look good. Sitting at NRT now waiting for my 11.5 hour flight to MSP. I have a few hours to kill once I get there, and I'm hoping I can just hang out in the Skyclub and watch football until it's time to board for TPA.

I was on NRT->LAX last week and the guy two seats over to me kept vomiting the whole time. Every time there was a lull in what I was watching or listening to I would hear *blaaaaaarg*. I think I might take crying babies over that, but it has been a while since I've been exposed to crying.

MickeyFinn fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 8, 2015

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Where does "playing iPhone games without headphones" fit in the hierarchy of pain?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

MickeyFinn posted:

I was on NRT->LAX last week and the guy two seats over to me kept vomiting the whole time. Every time there was a lull in what I was watching or listening to I would here *blaaaaaarg*. I think I might take crying babies over that, but it has been a while since I've been exposed to crying.

I'd rather have babies for sure. At least they eventually stop crying. Vomit smells, you run the risk of leaks, and oh god the sound.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Where does "playing iPhone games without headphones" fit in the hierarchy of pain?

Pretty god dam near the top. Especially those F2P slot machine games.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

smackfu posted:

Doing anything with a device without a headset is an rear end in a top hat thing to do. Since they're sharing, feel free to strike up a conversation with them and ask lots of annoying questions about whatever it is they're watching or playing. If the complain, tell them to pit it on mute or wear a headset like a considerate human being.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DJCobol posted:

I'd rather have babies for sure. At least they eventually stop crying. Vomit smells, you run the risk of leaks, and oh god the sound.

One flight from IAD to AMS there was some little boy from a society where if you have a penis you're automatically in command of anything that doesn't, and that little fucker was yelling nonstop the whole time. His mom didn't lift a finger to quiet or calm him, even at repeated flight attendant requests. I attempted to buy him a double scotch on the rocks; the flight attendant agreed with the sentiment but the recipient didn't have a driver's license on him so no dice there.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Ok gently caress MSP. No pre check line once you get out of immigration? WTF? There is 1 dude checking IDs and one lane open for 60+ people.

Tokyo bananas are pretty drat good. So are these wasabi Kit Kats.

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 8, 2015

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

DJCobol posted:

Yeah, the sound was pretty awful, but the smell didn't bother me at all because planes smell vaguely like puke to me anyway, so I don't associate the smell and the gut reaction on planes unless it is really really bad.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Looks like AA is about to switch to earning miles on spend instead of but in seat, and the rumors are that they're also going to devalue the program. Probably going to be hard to get in a multi-week vacay in the coming year, what should I be thinking about with respect to my half-million mile stash?

I'd really like to start burning some of them on international upgrades on my work trips, but I don't get why I also have to throw a co-pay in on top. gently caress that, just charge me more miles damnit.

Bonus if you know what to do with three quarters of a million HHonors points.

Obviously, I just travel for work and never take vacations.

FunOne fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 8, 2015

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I went from NGO to DTW today and the dude next to me just stared stoically at the flight view screen for almost the whole 12 hours.
He did like a half an hour of kindle reading. I don't know if it was crazy or bad rear end.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Boarded at MSP for the last leg to TPA. This plane smells like dookie. And no, it's not me either. I cleaned up after landing from NRT.

Only 3 more hours until sleep.

Uncle Jam posted:

I went from NGO to DTW today and the dude next to me just stared stoically at the flight view screen for almost the whole 12 hours.
He did like a half an hour of kindle reading. I don't know if it was crazy or bad rear end.

A guy in the middle part of my row played bejeweled the entire time I think. I stopped paying attention while marathoning the Fast and Furious movies, and the Taken series.

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 9, 2015

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

FunOne posted:

Conrad Maldives.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Uncle Jam posted:

You were sitting next to David Putty?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

FunOne posted:

Looks like AA is about to switch to earning miles on spend instead of but in seat, and the rumors are that they're also going to devalue the program. Probably going to be hard to get in a multi-week vacay in the coming year, what should I be thinking about with respect to my half-million mile stash?

I'd really like to start burning some of them on international upgrades on my work trips, but I don't get why I also have to throw a co-pay in on top. gently caress that, just charge me more miles damnit.

First class Cathay to MLE via HKG, spend points at Conrad and you'll be back at 0 in no time

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

sellouts posted:

First class Cathay to MLE via HKG, spend points at Conrad and you'll be back at 0 in no time

How did you guys come up with the same answer? Is the Conrad the crown jewel of that chain?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Conrad, Waldorf Astoria are within the highest category for reward stays. The Maldives one is widely known to be a stellar redemption, I think that's got the open water bungalows, right?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

FunOne posted:

Do you know when the devaluation is expected to be? I'm also sitting on about half a million AA points. I have a wedding in New Zealand coming up but I don't know the dates yet so I can't book anything but I imagine two round trip tickets to NZ will be a lot of points (or money). It is only 40k/ticket round trip to Paris in April/May so I may just book a trip there if the devaluation is coming soon.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

air- posted:

Conrad, Waldorf Astoria are within the highest category for reward stays. The Maldives one is widely known to be a stellar redemption, I think that's got the open water bungalows, right?

They have over water bungalows in Bora Bora and likely Bali as well, but Maldives are the most remote.

Maldives redemptions often are beyond normal award charts, SPG basically has a tier just for them because it's like 80k points/night for the lowest level room (which still is incredible). I think Conrad is now 95k points a night for a beach villa. Overwater upgrade will cost you real money.

So yeah, if you wanna drop points, that's the most efficient place. The Conrad isn't even close to the nicest place in the Maldives, but it's great for redemptions.

I'm going back again in a few weeks (not to the conrad though, it's not for me)

sellouts fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Nov 9, 2015

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Hilton points accrue so slowly when you're on the government rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

MickeyFinn posted:

How did you guys come up with the same answer? Is the Conrad the crown jewel of that chain?

Waldorf supplanted Conrad as the flagship in the Hilton family. Waldorf has been stellar consistently, the same is not true of Conrad. Maldives has been the exclusive stop for awards, it's very remote and beautiful. Bali has a wonderful one in Nusa Dua, not the best part of the island but drivers are cheap and service there is wonderful. Laundry is cheap if you catch an upgrade to the diamond suites. Its nothing short of palatial there.