Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Another example of a senior teacher - in this case, Madam Hooch - being infinitely more experienced than Harry and not freaking out about everything, presumably because this happens every year and she instantly knows the difference between a fall that will seriously injure someone and one that will just leave them with a broken wrist, a sense of humiliation, and perhaps a touch more respect for the tools in the future. All in all, an inoffensive segment.

And hell, anything short of dying from the fall seems to be curable. A broken bone can be mended in an instant, and even total bone loss in a limb takes a single night of discomfort to fix. Nonfatal nonmagical injuries are pretty much minor annoyances to wizards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010

Zonekeeper posted:

And hell, anything short of dying from the fall seems to be curable. A broken bone can be mended in an instant, and even total bone loss in a limb takes a single night of discomfort to fix. Nonfatal nonmagical injuries are pretty much minor annoyances to wizards.

Counterpoint: http://i.imgur.com/wqZFfqc.png

(The canonical presence of a one-eyed, one-legged guy implies there are some sorts of limits to medicine in Rowling's world. I honestly forget if Moody and his wooden leg had any explanation at all in a world with bone-regrowth an overnight procedure.)

I think that a lot of Rowling's stuff was not written to be fun and easy for children to read and enjoy, not written to stand up to grown-up scrutiny and careful analysis - it was written with a primacy of story, with an eye to making each individual book as an individual and not necessarily a fully sensible series. Rowling was not making her stories by coming up with demographics, a fully functional economy and society, a perfectly understood magic, and extrapolating from these to a background world that coherently generates a story - she was writing a story and working in background details as necessary to make the story progress as she wished it to.

A lot of the time, HPMOR responds to various apparent inconsistencies in canon by pointing out a bunch of areas where there is no immediate obvious explanation for things, and criticizing Rowling's world for not addressing those inconsistencies at all, and mostly just alleging these inconsistencies are due to wizards being oblivious idiots. There are a few times when Harry's criticisms of the Wizarding world's supposed incompetence is shown to be explicitly wrong, and there actually is a good reason for the canon details to be as they are, but it's few and far-between comparatively. I myself prefer stuff that mostly adds background details that make Rowling's canon world 'make sense'.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Moody's injuries were likely caused by dark magic, which canonically was often a lot harder to heal than regular injuries.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

Moody's injuries were likely caused by dark magic, which canonically was often a lot harder to heal than regular injuries.

Yeah, it's even mentioned that the loss of George's ear would be fixable if it hadn't been removed by a dark spell like Sectumsempra.

Snape was able to fix Malfoy after Harry used it on him, which makes sense because he invented that spell and would know how to reverse it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also moody's replacement bits are more functional than his original ones.

He's a magitek cyborg.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Tunicate posted:

Also moody's replacement bits are more functional than his original ones.

He's a magitek cyborg.

His eye is anyway. He leg is never implied to be anything but a standard peg.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Stroth posted:

His eye is anyway. He leg is never implied to be anything but a standard peg.

It's moody. At the bare minimum, I expect that pegleg to be a fully functional wand.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tunicate posted:

It's moody. At the bare minimum, I expect that pegleg to be a fully functional wand.

It's Moody, I expect it's filled with magic TNT and rigged to explode on the event of his death.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Also, Moody is sufficiently paranoid that he might not allow parts to be regenerated if he wasn't the one casting the spell.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Also I'd bet he loves the crazy scarred and disfigured old man look. How else are you going to strike fear in to the hearts of your enemies and anyone who might become your enemy?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 17 – Locating the Hypothesis
Part Six

quote:

"You're not seriously going to make him ride the broomstick again?" Harry said in horror.

Madam Hooch sent Harry a glare. "Of course not!"

Eliezarry earned that, in my opinion. His question was just an insult to Madam Hooch, no matter how you look at it.

quote:

She pulled the boy to his feet using his good arm - Harry saw with a shock that it was Neville Longbottom again, what was with him? - and she turned to all the watching children. "None of you is to move while I take this boy to the hospital wing! You leave those brooms where they are or you'll be out of Hogwarts before you can say 'Quidditch.' Come on, dear."

Neville Longbottom being the butt of every joke and the victim of every injury is consistent with canon, admittedly.

quote:

And Madam Hooch walked off with Neville, who was clutching his wrist and trying to control his sniffles.

When they were out of earshot, one of the Slytherins started giggling.

That set off the others.

Harry turned and looked at them. It seemed like a good time to memorise some faces.

And Harry saw that Draco was strolling towards him, accompanied by Mr. Crabbe and Mr. Goyle. Mr. Crabbe wasn't smiling. Mr. Goyle decidedly was. Draco himself was wearing a very controlled face that twitched occasionally, from which Harry inferred that Draco thought it was hilarious but saw no political advantage to be gained by laughing about it now instead of in the Slytherin dungeons afterwards.

"Well, Potter," Draco said in a low voice that didn't carry, still with that very controlled face that was twitching occasionally, "Just wanted to say, when you take advantage of emergencies to demonstrate leadership, you want to look like you're in total control of the situation, rather than, say, going into a complete panic." Mr. Goyle giggled, and Draco shot him a quelling look. "But you probably scored a few points anyway. You need any help stowing that healer's kit?"

To be fair to Eliezarry, he really was genuinely concerned for Neville’s well-being rather than take advantage of the situation to earn a few house points or to gain personal glory.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Why do they call each other "Mr." when it never happened in the books or movies and sounds dumb as hell?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part Seven

quote:

Harry turned to look at the Healing Pack, which got his own face turned away from Draco. "I think I'm fine," Harry said. He put the syringe back in its place, redid the latches, and stood up.

Ernie Macmillan arrived just as Harry was feeding the pack back into his mokeskin pouch.

"Thank you, Harry Potter, on behalf of Hufflepuff," Ernie Macmillan said formally. "It was a good try and a good thought."

"A good thought indeed," drawled Draco. "Why didn't anyone in Hufflepuff have their wands out? Maybe if you'd all helped instead of just Potter, you could've caught him. I thought Hufflepuffs were supposed to stick together?"

Ernie looked like he was torn between getting angry and wanting to die of shame. "We didn't think of it in time -"

"Ah," said Draco, "didn't think of it, I guess that's why it's better to have one Ravenclaw as a friend than all of Hufflepuff."

It seems that not only is Quirrell a horrible teacher, he’s also a bad judge of character in general. In the last chapter (one day ago in story-time), Quirrell had praised Malfoy as someone who “knows who to strike and who not to strike, how to make allies and avoid making enemies”. Yet barely one day later, Malfoy is gratuitously provoking the entire first-year cohort of Hufflepuff for no discernible reason.

quote:

Oh, hell, how was Harry supposed to juggle this one... "You're not helping," Harry said in a mild tone. Hoping Draco would interpret that as you're interfering with my plans, please shut up.

"Hey, what's this?" said Mr. Goyle. He stooped to the grass and picked up something around the size of a large marble, a glass ball that seemed to be filled with a swirling white mist.

Ernie blinked. "Neville's Remembrall!"

"What's a Remembrall?" asked Harry.

"It turns red if you've forgotten something," Ernie said. "It doesn't tell you what you forgot, though. Give it here, please, and I'll hand it back to Neville later." Ernie held out his hand.

A sudden grin flashed across Mr. Goyle's face and he spun around and raced away.

Ernie stood still for a moment in surprise, and then shouted "Hey!" and ran after Mr. Goyle.

And Mr. Goyle grabbed a broomstick, hopped on with one smooth motion and took to the air.

Harry's jaw dropped. Hadn't Madam Hooch said that would get him expelled?

And since when did Eliezarry start becoming concerned about obeying the rules?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

When he's being outdone, Yud becomes super loving petty. This is in character.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Snape always called Harry Mr Potter super sarcastically, so I imagine someone who hasn't read the books might very well think they were all doing it.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part Eight

quote:

"That idiot!" Draco hissed. He opened his mouth to shout -

"Hey! " shouted Ernie. "That's Neville's! Give it back! "

The Slytherins started cheering and hooting.

Draco's mouth snapped shut. Harry caught the sudden look of indecision on his face.

"Draco," Harry said in a low tone, "if you don't order that idiot back on the ground, the teacher's going to get back and -"

"Come and get it, Hufflepuffle! " shouted Mr. Goyle, and a great cheer went up from the Slytherins.

"I can't! " whispered Draco. "Everyone in Slytherin would think I'm weak! "

All Draco has to do is to appear “strong” is to command Goyle to return the object to Neville and reprimand Goyle, on the basis that Goyle had acted without Draco’s instruction and that discipline and obedience was of the utmost importance in a Malfoy minion. This is, like, the most elementary tenet of managing personnel and public appearances. How did Malfoy go for all his fancy lessons and tutors on “how to manipulate people” (as mentioned in Chapter 7) without learning this?

quote:

"And if Mr. Goyle gets expelled," hissed Harry, "your father is going to think you're a moron! "

Draco's face twisted in agony.

At that moment -

"Hey, Slytherslime," shouted Ernie, "didn't anyone ever tell you that Hufflepuffs stick together? Wands out, Hufflepuff! "

And there were suddenly a whole lot of wands pointed in Mr. Goyle's direction.

Three seconds later -

"Wands out, Slytherin! " said around five different Slytherins.

And there were a whole lot of wands pointed in Hufflepuff's direction.

Two seconds later -

"Wands out, Gryffindor! "

"Do something, Potter! " whispered Draco. "I can't be the one to stop this it has to be you! I'll owe you a favour just think of something aren't you supposed to be brilliant? "

Eliezer just can’t make up his mind about whether Draco is actually supposed to be good at manipulating people, can he?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

As Umberto Eco said, by a constant shifting of rhetorical focus, Draco is made to appear both strong and weak

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

All Draco has to do is to appear “strong” is to command Goyle to return the object to Neville and reprimand Goyle, on the basis that Goyle had acted without Draco’s instruction and that discipline and obedience was of the utmost importance in a Malfoy minion. This is, like, the most elementary tenet of managing personnel and public appearances. How did Malfoy go for all his fancy lessons and tutors on “how to manipulate people” (as mentioned in Chapter 7) without learning this?

It's not that he'd look weak ordering Goyle to return it, since he already was about to, it's that he doesn't want to look like he ordered Goyle to return it in RESPONSE to Ernie demanding it back, because he doesn't want to look like he's scared of a Hufflepuff.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Dabir posted:

Snape always called Harry Mr Potter super sarcastically, so I imagine someone who hasn't read the books might very well think they were all doing it.

McGonagall also refers to him as "Mr. Potter" (and others as Mr. Whatever, too). Dumbledore is too chummy for that most of the time, but he does call several students "Mr. Full Name" in formal contexts. It's pretty weird seeing Harry do it, though.

At least Malfoy being an arrogant poo poo to everyone who isn't a Slytherin/pureblood is pretty much in character.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part Nine

quote:

In around five and a half seconds, realised Harry, someone was going to cast the Sumerian Simple Strike Hex and by the time it was over and the teachers were done expelling people the only boys left in his year would be Ravenclaws.

Judging by the shenanigans that past and present students of Hogwarts were known to have carried out in the canon series without disciplinary consequences, I doubt that any student would be expelled from Hogwarts merely for getting into a fight with each other.

quote:

"Wands out, Ravenclaw! " shouted Michael Corner who was apparently feeling left out of the disaster.

I did identify a bit with that. The drive to conform with your peers is strong, especially among young children, even if conformity involves getting involved in a mass brawl.

quote:

"GREGORY GOYLE!" screamed Harry. "I challenge you to a contest for possession of Neville's Remembrall!"

That’s not a bad idea for cutting through the tension, I suppose.

quote:

There was a sudden pause.

"Oh, really?" said Draco in the loudest drawl Harry had ever heard. "That sounds interesting. What sort of contest, Potter?"

Er...

"Contest" had been as far as Harry's inspiration had gotten. What sort of contest, he couldn't say "chess" because Draco wouldn't be able to accept without it looking strange, he couldn't say "arm-wrestling" because Mr. Goyle would crush him -

"How about this?" Harry said loudly. "Gregory Goyle and I stand apart from each other, and no one else is allowed to come near either of us. We don't use our wands and neither does anyone else. I don't move from where I'm standing, and neither does he. And if I can get my hands on Neville's Remembrall, then Gregory Goyle relinquishes all claim to that Remembrall he's holding and gives it to me."

He’s probably thinking of using his Time-Turner to pull off whatever he intends to pull off, but I can’t see how he’s going to get from Time/Point A to Time/Point B with everyone looking on. The last few times he’s used the Time-Turner, he was by himself.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

JosephWongKS posted:

He’s probably thinking of using his Time-Turner to pull off whatever he intends to pull off, but I can’t see how he’s going to get from Time/Point A to Time/Point B with everyone looking on. The last few times he’s used the Time-Turner, he was by himself.
Possibility one: He switches a fat marble with that Remembrall thing and is like "Are you sure you had it all along...?"

Possibility two:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

JosephWongKS posted:

One of us isn't quite following the "Time Turner" thing.

Supposing he uses the TT, it would go something like:

Harry and Goyle face off. Within a few seconds or a minute, Harry produces the Rememberall, ending the contest and moving on. Once that's done, he has all day to find a private spot, turn back time, and contrive a plan that will transfer the Rememberall into Past!Harry's possession. P!H doesn't have to do anything, much less use the TT during the contest itself.

That's the beauty of time travel as a solve-all fixer. Eliminates every problem and every hint of tension.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Xander77 posted:

One of us isn't quite following the "Time Turner" thing.

Supposing he uses the TT, it would go something like:

Harry and Goyle face off. Within a few seconds or a minute, Harry produces the Rememberall, ending the contest and moving on. Once that's done, he has all day to find a private spot, turn back time, and contrive a plan that will transfer the Rememberall into Past!Harry's possession. P!H doesn't have to do anything, much less use the TT during the contest itself.

That's the beauty of time travel as a solve-all fixer. Eliminates every problem and every hint of tension.

Or to put it another way, it's the Bill & Ted rules of time travel.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Best outcome to this is him trying to grab a rememberall out of his pocket, and just getting a note 'I TOLD you not to mess around with time'.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part Ten

quote:

There was another pause as people's looks of relief transmuted to confusion.

"Hah, Potter!" said Draco loudly. "I'd like to see you do that! Mr. Goyle accepts!"

"It's on!" said Harry.

"Potter, what? " whispered Draco, which he somehow did without moving his lips.

Harry didn't know how to answer without moving his.

People were putting their wands away, and Mr. Goyle swooped gracefully to the ground, looking rather confused. Some Hufflepuffs started over towards Mr. Goyle, but Harry shot them a desperately pleading look and they backed off.

Harry walked toward Mr. Goyle and stopped when he was a few paces away, far enough apart that they couldn't reach each other.

Slowly, deliberately, Harry sheathed his wand.

Everyone else backed away.

Yeah, I’d back away too. It was only one or two days ago that Eliezarry was talking about drowning enemies in the blood of Gryffindors, selling Ravenclaws’ for money to hire assassins, throwing Slytherins at sufficient velocity to crush enemies, and stabbing people with the sharpened bones of Hufflepuffs. Who can tell what devilish bloodlust this boy is planning to work, and how indiscriminate its effects are?

quote:

Harry swallowed. He knew in broad outline what he wanted to do, but it had to be done in such a way that no one understood what he'd done -
"All right," Harry said loudly. "And now..." He took a deep breath and raised one hand, fingers ready to snap. There were gasps from anyone who'd heard about the pies, which was practically everyone. "I call upon the insanity of Hogwarts! Happy happy boom boom swamp swamp swamp! " And Harry snapped his fingers.

A lot of people flinched.

And nothing happened.

Harry let the silence stretch on for a while, developing, until...

"Um," someone said. "Is that it?"

Harry looked at the boy who'd spoken. "Look in front of you. You see that patch of ground that looks barren, without any grass on it?"

"Um, yeah," said the boy, a Gryffindor (Dean something?).

"Dig it up."

Now Harry was getting a lot of strange looks.

"Er, why?" said Dean something.

"Just do it," said Terry Boot in a weary voice. "No point asking why, trust me on this one."

Seems like Eliezarry’s housemates are thoroughly sick of his poo poo by now, and no wonder.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

JosephWongKS posted:

Yeah, I’d back away too. It was only one or two days ago that Eliezarry was talking about drowning enemies in the blood of Gryffindors, selling Ravenclaws’ for money to hire assassins, throwing Slytherins at sufficient velocity to crush enemies, and stabbing people with the sharpened bones of Hufflepuffs. Who can tell what devilish bloodlust this boy is planning to work, and how indiscriminate its effects are?

More to the point, that assignment called for dangerous uses for objects in the classroom and it took him all of ten seconds to regard other people as objects.

No wonder no one wants anything to do with him.

Edit: also, I don't think they are backing away out of fear, as Yud would have us believe. Everyone must think Yud/Harry is creepy as gently caress.

Furia fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 8, 2015

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Been watching this thread for a while, and I thoroughly enjoyed The Arithmancer when it was recommended. The accidental Animagus by the same author is good too. Is there any other quality fan-fiction similar to those?

On MoR, I read it to about chapter... 60, I think? When I got fed up with where the story was going, and lost hope that it would improve anytime soon.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Lynneth posted:

On MoR, I read it to about chapter... 60, I think? When I got fed up with where the story was going, and lost hope that it would improve anytime soon.

Start again around chapter 100 or 110 if you really want to know how it finishes.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Lynneth posted:

Been watching this thread for a while, and I thoroughly enjoyed The Arithmancer when it was recommended. The accidental Animagus by the same author is good too. Is there any other quality fan-fiction similar to those?

Oooh boy. In no particular order:

Circular Reasoning by Swimdraconian and Renegade Cause by Silens Cursor are two of my favourites and probably two of the best written fanfics I've ever read, Renegade Cause especially. They are not, however, remotely similar in tone to the Arithmancer. Renegade Cause is intricately plotted, filled with subtlety, some politics, and good action, and a suitably independent Harry who doesn't fall into all the standard cliches. If you want quality fanfiction, look no further because this is the gold standard.

Circular Reasoning takes the 'peggy sue' concept (go back in time to fix it all!) and turns it right on its head. Starts out with a fantastic, 20,000 word depiction of a truly post-apocalyptic hellscape, so if you like post apocalyptic works you'll get your dose there. Then we return to the modern world and see the wizarding underworld in all its glory. Probably some of the best written action I've ever read.

Starnlicht is also fantastic, with a very unique setting: wizarding Britain in 1590. All original characters of course, but it's really really good, complete, and fairly short as well. Stars Judith Fairweather and Rebecca Gryffindor, who are both really well done for original characters. Has romance, some comedy, plenty of drama, what more could you want? I really like this one.

Besides those three favourites, Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived is a classic, the premise being that Harry isn't the Boy Who Lived, and transfers to Durmstrang. If you like smart protagonists this is for you. Despite the kinda silly summary it's actually excellent, if incomplete. It was updated on the DarkLordPotter forums fairly recently if I recall.

Midnight Blues is a post Hogwarts fic starring Harry and Ron as dark wizard hunters contracted to the Ministry. Absolutely hilarious, though not a comedy. Almost Bond-like in its sense of adventure, though it's a bit too funny for it to really be a spiritual successor. It's not comedy, nor is it even light-hearted, but there's plenty of banter and witticisms. Highly recommended.

Hogwarts Battle School obviously draws heavy inspiration from Enders Game and some later parts of MoR, without Orson Scott Card's homophobia and without Eliezer's insanity. Well written (which goes without saying for this list really), if you can suspend your disbelief a tad. Check it out, see if you like it. If you like action and politics, this fic has both in spades.

For something fairly similar in structure to the Arithmancer, Alexandra Quick and the Thorn Circle by Inverarity takes place in wizarding America with a completely new cast. Truly incredible worldbuilding, good characterization, and best of all 4/7 books are already completed. I really like this one as well, but it's pretty different from the standard fare.

On the subject of things different from the standard fare, Harry Potter and the Wastelands of Time is a truly epic in scale adventure with a rather sisyphean protagonist. Very much a classic, very action-adventure-y, and is a wild ride from start to finish. A bit rough in patches, rather reminiscent of The Edge of Tomorrow (though it predates the movie), but it's a lot of fun and you don't get more, well, epic in scale than this.

For a dash of horror, look no further than Deathly Hallowed. The premise is that Lily Potter dabbled in magic she shouldn't, and it gets pretty freaky. In the words of the author:

quote:

The Tale of Three Brothers was not a legend. It was a warning. No one cheats Death. And luckily for Lily Potter, the promise of the Cloak's return in exchange for her son's life was a fair deal. Stare into the abyss, Harry Potter, and we will see who blinks first.

quote:

This story is a psuedo Cthulu-mythos cross with the premise that Lily figures out what James' Cloak is before Dumbledore does, and makes a deal with eldritch abomination Death in order to break the prophecy. The problem is, the method she used to call Death has long lasting consequences and isn't restricted to calling just Death over.

Check out the first chapter and see if you like the tone. Unfortunately it hasn't been updated for quite some time, but it's creepy and scary and fascinating in all the right ways.

For some other works that are also good:

Applied Cultural Anthropology takes the less absurd than you'd think concept of a Slytherin Hermione and runs with it. Actually pretty original and quite good, and despite the summary, Hermione isn't an 11 year old copy of Voldemort by any means.

Harry Potter and the Time of Green Angel Vespers, originally by Andro and now continued by Greenseer Tethlis, tells the story of a victorious but dying Harry, who wakes up in a world where 15 year old Elise Potter is the Girl Who Lived. Not much to it so far at 40,000 words, but worth keeping an eye on. Learn to love fanfiction.net's "follow" feature is what I'm saying here.

Forging The Sword. Fascinating story that's all about the characterization of the golden trio and the exploration of magic. Probably the most similar to the Arithmancer out of this entire list in some ways, though very much not in others.

Ectomancer is by all reports one of the best, bar none, fics in the Harry Potter fandom. I've not read it, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention it.

AntiHyphen I've not read in awhile, but I remember it being good, short and sweet. I'll let the summary speak for itself:

quote:

The watchful eyes of the adoring public are locked on to the girl-who-lived-to-be-frustrated-by-society rather than where they ought to be: on her scheming twin brother.

A Changed Destiny Involves a Slytherin Ginny who joins the Death Eaters to spy for them. Guilty pleasure in a lot of ways - it's not really well written and the author overuses bold and italic flags. Probably the worst fic on this list in terms of actual writing quality, but I enjoyed it well enough.

Edit from a month and a half later: so I tried to reread this and holy poo poo it's absolutely awful nevermind everything I said. I'm frankly baffled at how unspeakably terrible a changed destiny is, because Good God it's unreadable. Leaving it on the list as a testament to my shame.

Now very few of these are similar to the Arithmancer thematically, but they're all quality fanfiction. Circular Reasoning and Renegade Cause can get a bit dark at times, Circular Reasoning more than Renegade Cause. Both are still very well written, and Circular Reasoning is, frankly, good enough I've actually recommended it to other people IRL, and they liked it.

My top three would definitely be Renegade Cause, Circular Reasoning, and Starnlicht, but I definitely recommend all of these to one degree or another.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 27, 2015

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part Eleven

quote:

Dean something kneeled down and began to scoop away dirt.

After a minute or so, Dean stood up again. "There's nothing there," Dean said.

Huh. Harry had been planning to go back in time and bury a treasure map that would lead to another treasure map that would lead to Neville's Remembrall which he would put there after getting it back from Mr. Goyle...

Then Harry realised there was a much simpler way which didn't threaten the secret of Time-Turners quite as much.

"Thanks, Dean!" Harry said loudly. "Ernie, would you look around on the ground where Neville fell and see if you can find Neville's Remembrall?"

People looked even more confused.

"Just do it," said Terry Boot. "He'll keep trying until something works, and the scary thing is that -"

As Xander77 said, “That's the beauty of time travel as a solve-all fixer. Eliminates every problem and every hint of tension”.

quote:

"Merlin! " gasped Ernie. He was holding up Neville's Remembrall. "It's here! Right where he fell!"

"What? " cried Mr. Goyle. He looked down and saw...

...that he was still holding Neville's Remembrall.

There was a rather long pause.

"Er," said Dean something, "that's not possible, is it?"

"It's a plot hole," said Harry. "I made myself weird enough to distract the universe for a moment and it forgot that Goyle had already picked up the Remembrall."

"No, wait, I mean, that's totally not possible -"

"Excuse me, are we all standing around here waiting to go flying on broomsticks? Yes we are. So shut up. Anyway, once I get my hands on Neville's Remembrall, the contest is over and Gregory Goyle has to relinquish all claim to the Remembrall he's holding and give it to me. Those were the terms, remember?" Harry stretched out a hand and beckoned Ernie. "Just roll it over here, since no one's supposed to get close to me, okay?"

To be fair to Eliezarry, I’ve stated that any “weirdness” he sees around him can be explained by “It’s magic” and that after having seen McGonagall literally turn into a literal cat and after a full week in Hogwarts, he should have learned to deal with it. So Eliezarry is entitled to use the same argument on his classmates.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

And here I thought I'd have free time this month.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Personally I like Potter Who and the Wossname's Thingummy
which despite sounding awful as a premise actually manages to make it work. Chiefly by keeping the doctor who down to near-homeopathic concentrations, and just using it as an excuse to dial up the whimsy and pull in a bunch of jokes about history or philosophy or whatever. Basically, spends a lot of time exploring the setting, but without sneering at it like MoR does.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 9, 2015

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

Suddenly I'm glad I took most of November off from work. Getting through those is gonna take a while. Thanks for the recommendations.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part Twelve

quote:

"Hold on!" shouted a Slytherin - Blaise Zabini, Harry wasn't likely to forget that name. "How do we know that's Neville's Remembrall? You could've just dropped another Remembrall there -"

Yeah, that is a pretty memorable name. I recall that Blaise’s gender wasn’t mentioned in the earlier books, and some Harry Potter readers thought Blaise was a girl and were upset when it was revealed that Blaise was a boy in the later books. Or was it the other way around?

quote:

"The Slytherin is strong with this one," Harry said, smiling. "But you have my word that the one Ernie's holding is Neville's. No comment about the one Gregory Goyle's holding."

Zabini spun to Draco. "Malfoy! You're not just going to let him get away with that -"

"Shut up, you," rumbled Mr. Crabbe, standing behind Draco. "Mr. Malfoy doesn't need you to tell him what to do!"

Good minion.

"My bet was with Draco, of the Noble and Most Ancient House of Malfoy," Harry said. "Not with you, Zabini. I have done what Mr. Malfoy said he'd like to see me do, and as for the judgment of the bet, I leave that up to Mr. Malfoy." Harry inclined his head towards Draco and raised his eyebrows slightly. That ought to allow Draco to save enough face.

There was a pause.

"You promise that actually is Neville's Remembrall?" Draco said.

Why should Draco take anyone’s promises on face value? Don’t the Malfoys have to maintain a public image of toughness and ferocity? Wouldn’t it hurt Draco’s reputation to concede defeat so easily?

quote:

"Yes," Harry said. "That's the one that'll go back to Neville and it was his originally. And the one Gregory Goyle's holding goes to me."

Draco nodded, looking decisive. "I won't question the word of the Noble House of Potter, then, no matter how strange that all was. And the Noble and Most Ancient House of Malfoy keeps its word as well. Mr. Goyle, give that to Mr. Potter -"

Since when were the Potters a “Noble House”?

quote:

"Hey!" Zabini said. "He hasn't won yet, he hasn't got his hands on -"

"Catch, Harry!" said Ernie, and he tossed the Remembrall.

Harry easily snapped the Remembrall out of the air, he'd always had good reflexes that way. "There," said Harry, "I win..."

Wasn’t Eliezarry complaining earlier this chapter that “There couldn't possibly be anything he could master on the first try which would baffle Hermione, and if there was and it turned out to be broomstick riding instead of anything intellectual, Harry would just die”? Why is he now taking pride in being athletic or being good at physical activities?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JosephWongKS posted:

Yeah, that is a pretty memorable name. I recall that Blaise’s gender wasn’t mentioned in the earlier books, and some Harry Potter readers thought Blaise was a girl and were upset when it was revealed that Blaise was a boy in the later books. Or was it the other way around?
Apparently Blaise Zabini being "revealed" to be a (black) boy instead of a girl was a bit of a surprise in fandom. It's worth remembering that Yud's exposure to the series comes more through fanfic than through the actual books.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

JosephWongKS posted:

Wasn’t Eliezarry complaining earlier this chapter that “There couldn't possibly be anything he could master on the first try which would baffle Hermione, and if there was and it turned out to be broomstick riding instead of anything intellectual, Harry would just die”? Why is he now taking pride in being athletic or being good at physical activities?

What matters to him is being good at it. He didn't expect to be good with a broom so he pre-soured those grapes. If he thinks he's good at anything, even if it's something he poo poo on earlier, he'll strut like crazy.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

Why should Draco take anyone’s promises on face value? Don’t the Malfoys have to maintain a public image of toughness and ferocity? Wouldn’t it hurt Draco’s reputation to concede defeat so easily?

Because he asked harry to fix the situation in the first plaace? And well, having a close enough relationship with the Boy-Who-Lived is its own sort of political win.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

The Iron Rose posted:

Just read (what there is of) Applied Cultural Anthropology and it was a lot of fun, thanks for the recommendation. Don't know if it'll ever be finished though...

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
If there were a Wikipedia article with an actually well-written ==Plot summary== (i.e. spoils everything but doesn't get lost in the weeds of detail) of HPMOR, what would that summary say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

divabot posted:

If there were a Wikipedia article with an actually well-written ==Plot summary== (i.e. spoils everything but doesn't get lost in the weeds of detail) of HPMOR, what would that summary say?
Harold Potter appears at a school and learns the power of the Dark Side. He later overcomes it with the power of Straw Rationalism, declaring that A=A, Bad Guy=Pwned, and the secrets of the Anti-Death Equation.