Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Noyemi K posted:

Finished this just ten minutes ago:

I'm getting a bit quicker at this! :coal:

The foreshortening on the right arm looks a little off to me, but I love everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I'll have to colour this, but more!

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Found an old concept I did for an imaginary game (I think) on a photobucket I had like.. 2009 or something. It's cool to see I've barely got better since then haha. Sorry for the lovely quality on the enviros; guess I didn't know you shouldn't save pixels in lovely jpeg-format.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

Scut posted:

More please

haven't drawn any new portraits, but here's the old a little further along:

this is real cool! Her neck could use shortening by a couple inches though imo

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Her left arm is missing half of the arm.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Yeah sometimes I'm shockingly bad at foreshortening. It's the kind of thing I'm sometimes successful at slightly fixing in the pixel stage, and sometimes I'm destroying the sketch right there :(

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

mutata posted:

Her left arm is missing half of the arm.

Perspective makes me think its pointed right at me so it's not so bad.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

_jink posted:

haven't drawn any new portraits, but here's the old a little further along:

This might sound weird, but your work reminds me of that of forums user Mjaulm - any connection?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Manslaughter posted:

Perspective makes me think its pointed right at me so it's not so bad.

The angle the hand is at and especially the direction the sleeve opening is facing says it isn't foreshortening. Perspective is often a mindfuck. :/

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

happ yhalloween :]

Besesoth posted:

This might sound weird, but your work reminds me of that of forums user Mjaulm - any connection?

:psyduck:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

We can only have one person drawing fat people on these forums at a time!! Trying to pull a fast one, huh!?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Count Uvula posted:

We can only have one person drawing fat people on these forums at a time!! Trying to pull a fast one, huh!?

:rolleyes: Those aren't the best examples, but I couldn't find the thread I was looking for where Mjaulm posted some of his pixel art. The use of line and shadow feels similar to me, but I guess it's just me. :shrug:

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.
oh hey, I finally found the pixel art thread!

here's a mouth I made yesterday :

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Hi thread long time no post! Still looking great I see :)

All my time recently has been going to non-pixel games and this:

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

the chaos engine posted:

Hi thread long time no post! Still looking great I see :)

All my time recently has been going to non-pixel games and this:

I've seen this on twitter a few times I think! I really love how this looks. A question - is there a particular way that you rotate the cards without getting anti-aliased edges?

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Old Man Mozz posted:

I've seen this on twitter a few times I think! I really love how this looks. A question - is there a particular way that you rotate the cards without getting anti-aliased edges?

Could be, I tweet p much everything I ever do! idk much about technical stuff but I basically just have AA turned off in Stencyl so any tweak or tween simply doesn't use AA.

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.
oooh its in gametime ... that figures :P I am a bit stuck on "working in photoshop" so I forget about engine abilities

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
well in photoshop you'd achieve that by having it set to nearest neighbor.

(my in-game cards are scaled up and then rotated so it looks less extreme than that but yeah, same idea)

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
Pixel art without upscaling is like a day without sunshine.

Old Man Mozz posted:

oh hey, I finally found the pixel art thread!

here's a mouth I made yesterday :

Welcome! We love new art.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

is there a nice + quick way to capture gifs? I tried gyazo's gif capture, and it's rad how quick it is, but produces an artifacty mess:

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I did this for halloween and I didn't post it immediately because reasons:

That thing about me getting quicker was false, as this took about 10 hours. :doh:

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.
That's real nice Noyemi!

Today's Pixel Daily was Torii

apologies for the weird side letterbox, it's one way from making twitter not ruin an image when you post it

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

_jink posted:

is there a nice + quick way to capture gifs? I tried gyazo's gif capture, and it's rad how quick it is, but produces an artifacty mess:

Try GoonCam?

What's this engine for? Looks like it would make for a good tactical game.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

Scut posted:

Try GoonCam?

What's this engine for? Looks like it would make for a good tactical game.

thankyou! gooncam works perfectly

it's not an engine, just my continued foray into the jungles of coding. I was learning how to use grids/build things from them/place isometric sprites.

DISCOVERY: there is something primally satisfying about a perfectly aligned slab of blocks.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Here's a Coleophysis for #drawdinovember on twitter

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

finally getting around to some character designs for my little zelda-ish type game

I like the green... like A LOT, but I do worry its just not varied against the background:

yellow for comparison

I thought about red, but since I do the non-outline type art I'd like to avoid looking like hyper light drifter if I can help it

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!

Coldrice posted:

finally getting around to some character designs for my little zelda-ish type game

I like the green... like A LOT, but I do worry its just not varied against the background:

yellow for comparison

I thought about red, but since I do the non-outline type art I'd like to avoid looking like hyper light drifter if I can help it

I think I'd agree that the yellow stands out much better, but I'm actually not super crazy about that green in the first one to begin with- it looks like it's the exact same color as the water if I'm correct? If so, and that leads to weird floaty heads I'd say you definitely probably wanna go with the yellow or just a very lime green. Though I don't know how/if you're doing a limited palette thing again like you did for Interstellaria. Either way, I've been loving the gifs of this I've been seeing through Twitter and whatnot!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Coldrice posted:

yellow for comparison

I really like both, green and yellow both look great. The yellow stands out better though yeah.
(And kinda reminds me of Mario's cape, but not in an infringing way :cheeky:)

How about Orange? Or Dark Blue? Or Cyan?

Red does contrast well with green, and your game looks primarily green. But I get wanting to avoid Hyper Light's scheme. Maybe like a deep Burgundy?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

The yellow cape looks really nice and is visually distinct, and green is a played-out color for adventurers anyway.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Coldrice posted:

My suggestion is to change saturations. Bring the saturation DOWN on the grass, and bring it UP on the cloaks. High saturation is a cue to the human eye that an object is in the foreground.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

ya I would mess with the color/saturation/hue balance. Even if there weren't readability problems, using bright neon colors as background is a bad idea.

quick & turned out a bit darker then I intended (dark photoshop shell > white forum, alas) but hopefully this helps

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Gonna start doing the pixel art daily things or something.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
Made a new banner for my Twitter:

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Today's pixel daily \o/

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 16, 2015

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
And today's pixel thing. Blight goblin doctor man man. Feedback appreciated, positive or negative, but the point of these is to do one a day, quickly.

Edit: https://twitter.com/Pixel_Dailies Trying to do this thing.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 17, 2015

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Pixel Dailies are a good way to practice. Try using a pre-existing palette, you'll get a better distribution of colour values and they can help you focus on the form, blocking and linework.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

His face seems flat, don't be afraid to go nuts with lightening/darkening based on the light source. And try curving the spine a bit.

Polio Vax Scene fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 17, 2015

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

A jackalope ... for no real reason

also someone's undertale fan-character

edit: I really think I should have inverted the black/white on the top - after viewing it for a bit

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

And today's pixel thing. Blight goblin doctor man man. Feedback appreciated, positive or negative, but the point of these is to do one a day, quickly.

Edit: https://twitter.com/Pixel_Dailies Trying to do this thing.

Love this, straight outta blight town!

The arm really blends into the body, gotta make that pop more. And is the hand backwards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Scut posted:

Pixel Dailies are a good way to practice. Try using a pre-existing palette, you'll get a better distribution of colour values and they can help you focus on the form, blocking and linework.

Thanks! How would you go about setting that up? Back in the day, systems could only display a subset of colors at a time, but they should still choose a lot of different colors, no? Maybe CGA had 16 preset, but video game consoles could do more.

Zaphod42 posted:

Love this, straight outta blight town!

The arm really blends into the body, gotta make that pop more. And is the hand backwards?

...yup it is! I need to practice figure drawing more. What kind of color should I use? He's not wearing a shirt really. It's 32x32 so it is hard.

Manslaughter posted:

His face seems flat, don't be afraid to go nuts with lightening/darkening based on the light source. And try curving the spine a bit.

Thanks - I'll try some spine curvature when I work on bipedal sprites going forward. Too many colors gets distracting and weird looking, sometimes I don't add enough for shading. Light source would be above and to the left. I actually did notice the flatness, but when I tried adding more shading around the bottom of the mask it looked weird.