Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
which gif of takane shijou eating is your favorite
This poll is closed.
1st 13 9.15%
2nd 52 36.62%
3rd 22 15.49%
4th 11 7.75%
5th 12 8.45%
6th 32 22.54%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is Nightcore slang for "take some music, make it faster, make the singer's voice squeaky, and throw in an anime picture as the image" cause that's been the most of my (admittedly brief) experience with Nightcore videos on YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

To be honest, my biggest peeve with Bleach has actually been about how fights play out. Like, Kubo can draw some really fantastic-looking battles, but virtually all of them end in a cliffhanger that ends up showing that the character's attack did nothing.

Bleach is filled with the most pretentious characters who spend an hour posturing before attacking in one panel and then being shocked when their attack did nothing, only to later show that their true attack was actually something else, and that attack also does nothing, and
Chatting with a friend of mine recently, I came to revelation that the two things I value most in comics like Bleach are good characters and good fights.

Bleach has neither of those things.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Is Nightcore slang for "take some music, make it faster, make the singer's voice squeaky, and throw in an anime picture as the image" cause that's been the most of my (admittedly brief) experience with Nightcore videos on YouTube.

Nightcore is art

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

My personal definition of Nightcore is "that thing that shows up instead of the song i was trying to find on youtube". I don't know why it exists.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

I still maintain that the Soul Society arc is where everything started to fall apart.

It's where the things that would become problems were introduced but I don't think they were necessarily issues in that arc at least.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Not even JYB could get me to finish Bleach.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Reds posted:

My personal definition of Nightcore is "that thing that shows up instead of the song i was trying to find on youtube". I don't know why it exists.

I try not to judge with regards to music but yeah, :agreed:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

Chatting with a friend of mine recently, I came to revelation that the two things I value most in comics like Bleach are good characters and good fights.

Bleach has neither of those things.

Bleach is about finding the 2-dimensional personality you like amidst a sea of 2-dimensional and 1-dimensional personalities and cheering relentlessly for that personality till the very end.

In my case those personalities are Mayuri and Kenpachi.

Basically I would like it if fights had more consequences that Character A dies while Character B suffers from no repercussions. An invincible villain who shitstomps everyone with no effort until the main character 1 v 1s him is no fun at all.

Bleach even had its own Hyperbolic Time Chamber moment right before the loving fight against Aizen. At least Vegeta beat the crap out of Semi-Perfect Cell while Goku and Gohan were training.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

The Colonel posted:

A very cute Yui.

:yeah:

there are many, many, many more where that came from. ...so many yuis ...too many yuis

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Reds posted:

I don't mind remixes but I just haven't found a Nightcore I like yet.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
As far as I can tell nightcore is just sped up music without pitch correction

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bleach is about finding the 2-dimensional personality you like amidst a sea of 2-dimensional and 1-dimensional personalities and cheering relentlessly for that personality till the very end.

In my case those personalities are Mayuri and Kenpachi.

Basically I would like it if fights had more consequences that Character A dies while Character B suffers from no repercussions. An invincible villain who shitstomps everyone with no effort until the main character 1 v 1s him is no fun at all.

Bleach even had its own Hyperbolic Time Chamber moment right before the loving fight against Aizen. At least Vegeta beat the crap out of Semi-Perfect Cell while Goku and Gohan were training.

Ichigo getting a training arc in the middle of the final battle with Aizen was hilarious. :allears:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Knorth posted:

there are many, many, many more where that came from. ...so many yuis ...too many yuis

No such thing as too many Yuis

The best girl

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I read (and watched) what seemed like a whole bunch of Bleach years ago, like tried to stay current and watched new episodes/read chapters when they were released. I couldn't even begin to figure out where I dropped it though. Between it, Naruto, and One Piece the guys in Bleach were hotter which was why I stuck with it longer than the other two. :v:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's where the things that would become problems were introduced but I don't think they were necessarily issues in that arc at least.
A few of them were. Simultaneous cast bloat and under-utilization, training cheating, uninteresting fights. Only Ichigo ends up mattering despite him being the most removed.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

every day's great at your junes

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

littleorv posted:

No such thing as too many Yuis

The best girl

She's pretty great, but I really don't know when I'll have it in me to finish the rest of the Yui pixiv tag for the album. another 400 pages of yuis is too many yuis

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

A few of them were. Simultaneous cast bloat and under-utilization, training cheating, uninteresting fights; only Ichigo ends up mattering despite him being the most removed.

The fights were good i'll have you know. :colbert: (well, most of them I think. And I don't remember the series being really great at fights before the ss arc anyway)

Cast bloat though was definitely an issue, yeah.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

A few of them were. Simultaneous cast bloat and under-utilization, training cheating, uninteresting fights. Only Ichigo ends up mattering despite him being the most removed.

Ichigo has shown up like once in the past year I think.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

At least 5 times i'd say. Though I think he's only actually done 1 thing.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The fights were good i'll have you know. :colbert: (well, most of them I think. And I don't remember the series being really great at fights before the ss arc anyway)

The fights from Bleach I liked were either the ones where Mayuri just pulls out poo poo to win instantly or really grueling brawls that aren't about sudden powerups or reveals.

The Kenpachi vs Ichigo fight is probably my favorite Bleach fight ever, and it's a shame there aren't more like it. It's just two dudes brawling it out. It wasn't too long, and sure, there was a sudden powerup but it wasn't a massive one. All that did was let Ichigo gain an even footing against Kenpachi anyways.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Almost every fight in Bleach I can recall just comes down to one dude overpowering the other with their ability or spirit energy or something. Fights weren't a priority for the series prior to the SS arc and for awhile Kubo coasts on just making them look cool, but past a certain point the luster wears off and you begin to pick up on just how substanceless everything is.

That might actually be a new problem then.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The fights where Mayuri instantly wins after 5 chapters of him saying "no your attacks don't work" are bad actually.

Ichigo vs Kenpachi was a good fight though. There were some good fights in soul society, Mayuri vs Uryuu, Renji vs Byakuya, Ichigo vs Byakuya, I think even some really small fights like Ganju vs Yumichika were pretty neat.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Almost every fight in Bleach I can recall just comes down to one dude overpowering the other with their ability or spirit energy or something. Fights weren't a priority for the series prior to the SS arc and for awhile Kubo coasts on just making them look cool, but past a certain point the luster wears off and you begin to pick up on just how substanceless everything is.

I'm fine with that happening as long as something is done with it and it's not just "oh I am stronger than you I guess". Like Uryuu sacrificing his powers to finish off Mayuri or Renji shattering his blade trying to kill Byakuya but failing and even Ichigo finding his resolve and trusting his sword in the fight with Kenpachi. It all still comes down to one character is stronger than the other, but I think those can still be done in enjoyable ways.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

They can be, the problem is just that they're pretty much all Kubo ever writes (with rare exception).

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Bad Seafood posted:

Also, I learned today that VIZ is apparently going to run Jojo Part 3 in their digital printing of Shounen Jump which is pretty cool in my opinion.

The digital bundle of all of Part 3 is on sale right now if you're inclined to pick it up.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think Tokyo Ghoul and Bleach try to do the same thing with fights but result in different conclusions.

Both of them have a ton of character bloat but the authors want to make a character look good, which means they need to bring in new characters or (in Kubo's case) bring back dudes who were already killed off and power them up.

Tokyo Ghoul Re: has a character appear badass by killing / defeating another character and then has that character die to prop up another one. It's like playing Dominoes with Death.

Bleach has a character posture and use an attack that turns out to be meaningless.

With Tokyo Ghoul, all these character deaths just seem unnecessary and off. It's also loving weird to have a character win a battle only to be killed off in the very next chapter by someone who was a non-presence.

With Bleach, it just makes everyone seem pretentious and stupid. The Mask de Masque fight was the weirdest. Rose tells Mask everything about his powers while he was winning and then Mask makes use of that to make himself immune and beats the poo poo out of Rose. Like, why would you do that?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Reds posted:

I know nothing about Bleach and knew nothing about it but the name for many years, but I have a friend who watched it as his thing to get into anime, and he likes this ED and I'm inclined to agree with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xstUWxrQa-E
the first op is also, very good

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

homeless snail posted:

the first op is also, very good

Bleach has always had good songs.

Life is a Boat and My Pace are my favorites.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Allarion posted:

The digital bundle of all of Part 3 is on sale right now if you're inclined to pick it up.
I own it all in paperback already.

It's the most reread series on my shelf.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I just can't get into the digital manga trend.

I like physical volumes. I don't care how much space they take up, I want my own little library.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I tune into Bleach when Rukia is around. Her bankai where she becomes a chameleon is pretty cool.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

I just can't get into the digital manga trend.

I like physical volumes. I don't care how much space they take up, I want my own little library.

Think of the trees Seafood!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Space Flower posted:

I tune into Bleach when Rukia is around. Her bankai where she becomes a chameleon is pretty cool.

Wait. That's what her bankai does?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
It's because she turns all white ,and the background is

hehe, hahaha

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Another problem with Bleach is that it honestly doesn't explain much.

Like, Unohana and Kenpachi fight and then she activates her bankai but there's no indication of what it does. We see their faces melt off but is that cause of the bankai or just a visual metaphor? Bald Monk uses his final technique on YWACH but YWACH is immune to it and the monk explodes but is it cause YWACH turned it back against him or did YWACH just blow him up using some Quincy poo poo?

And what the gently caress does Kenpachi's shikai even do? Is it just a big sword cause to be honest I can live with that.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

littleorv posted:

Think of the trees Seafood!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the kyoto manga museum is cool and gets my rec, tons of good manga to read in english and cool merch i didn't buy. for example the only shirobako merch i've seen that wasn't curry, kyoani shows that aren't their most recent ones, madoka, one piece, the oreimo kuroneko gal, evangelion puzzles, osomatsu-san and so on

• Locked thread