Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Bardeh posted:

This is the best option, so all your friends who haven't VPN'd or aren't aware of it can send you frantic messages asking how in the hell you're playing, and you can respond with smug cryptic messages

Thanks for making me change my mind about how I would do it when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
I don't believe you have to change regions in Steam or anything, at least that wasn't the case for Skyrim. All I ever did was exit Steam, start the VPN and ensure the connection is active, launch Steam, start game, download/decrypt files, game starts (flurry of friends asking "HOW!?!?"), then if you want go into offline mode and turn off the VPN.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

I thought changing the store region was the big, get you banned no-no since that's what leads to people trying to get games cheaper via worthless Russian monies?

"Hey, we put an option right there in the open to change store regions, BUT DON'T EVER USE IT!"

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

Keith Atherton posted:

Yeah, I enjoyed Fallout 3 and played the hell out of it - finished it 3 or 4 times. I have played through New Vegas ~25 times and still play on a regular basis. I started up a new Fallout 3 game the other week and after a half hour gave up because all the cool stuff added in New Vegas wasn't there. In New Vegas you can have a completely different experience each time you play but in Fallout 3 it's going to be pretty much the same.

I wish my PC was able to run Fallout 4. I bought Fallout 1 and 2 in the box when they came out and still have the boxes/manuals/discs.

~25 times huh

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I thought this released at the same time everywhere? Wouldn't vpns be useless in that case?

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Sharzak posted:

I thought this released at the same time everywhere? Wouldn't vpns be useless in that case?

No, it's a rolling release, was supposed to release at midnight your local time, but apparently Bethesda decided that in some territories midnight is going to be 2am, because gently caress you, that's why.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Sharzak posted:

It does, but timezones.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

VideoGames posted:

I never felt sorry for Benny.

I did feel sorry for Benny, but that was entirely because he was voiced by Chandler from Friends. I was watching a lot of Friends at the time NV came out. I even killed Cesar and his whole camp just to save his life.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I did feel sorry for Benny, but that was entirely because he was voiced by Chandler from Friends. I was watching a lot of Friends at the time NV came out. I even killed Cesar and his whole camp just to save his life.

gently caress you McNulty.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

I thought changing the store region was the big, get you banned no-no since that's what leads to people trying to get games cheaper via worthless Russian monies?

Buying from a different region gets you banned. Faking region to unlock a game (outside of circumstances where a game is illegal in your country) is harmless.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
So its a little over an hour to the kiwi release, and the lifting of the review embargo.

Even if you can't play, you can read/watch reviews and have your hopes dashed! just like playing the game!

Edit: Im pretty sure it releases at 2am because otherwise it would release before the review embargo lifts, and thats a dick move.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Buying games on VPN is, but no one's ever been banned for an unlock.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
I may or may not have brought games via VPN in the past to avoid the NZ/AU tax.

I have never been banned from a service, but YMMV. Also its not that common a thing for me to do.

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

Just landed in New Zealand for the next few days. Brought my PC with me. I am staying at the Trinity Wellington right now.

What is all this talk about VPNs? Did I just fly out here for nothing?

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

I am going to play this game in an hour as I live in Australia and don't need a VPN.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Are we really complaining about not being able to read reviews from games that are not even out yet, really?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

HardKase posted:

Edit: Im pretty sure it releases at 2am because otherwise it would release before the review embargo lifts, and thats a dick move.

I highly doubt they'd care that much about a 2 hour window.

Bethesda said the delay was due to Steam.

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

Bholder posted:

Are we really complaining about not being able to read reviews from games that are not even out yet, really?

Yes, yes we are. Is there something wrong with that?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Colt Cannon posted:

Just landed in New Zealand for the next few days. Brought my PC with me. I am staying at the Trinity Wellington right now.

What is all this talk about VPNs? Did I just fly out here for nothing?

Some people feel it's worth the risk of losing your Steam account. I don't! I'm in room 204 if you wanna meet up for a drink before the launch.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Colt Cannon posted:

Yes, yes we are. Is there something wrong with that?

Call me when the reviews are held back for days after the official release, then you can actually worry.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Bholder posted:

Yes? It usually means the company has made a bad product and milking the morons who preorder.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Bholder posted:

Call me when the reviews are held back for days after the official release, then you can actually worry.

Why hold them back at all? what possible reason could there be? how is it in any way customer friendly?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I came to New Zealand to get some chocolate milk and look at LOTR sets.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Bholder posted:

That actually used to happen.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

guess should change the steam download location to the server in australia or new zealand though no?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Apparently you have to do that to become Kiwi expat for entertainment purposes. Did all of you get the full game already and there isn't that 1% left that might check the store region?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

snuff posted:

Yes? It usually means the company has made a bad product and milking the morons who preorder.

Except that almost every company has an embargo until release day now.

The only embargoes that I'd be wary of are the ones like AC: Unity where it didn't drop until noon on release day.

And the main reason embargoes exist is to prevent a ton of half assed rushed reviews from sites ttying to be first. Games wouldn't get fair reviews at all in that scenario.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Zenimax usually pay quite a lot for their reviews so they'll probably be good

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

Bholder posted:

Well, the embargo for 'The Crew' wasn't removed until the servers went live on release day, which makes sense, but is also funny because that game was a bag of poo poo.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

TescoBag posted:

Zenimax usually pay quite a lot for their reviews so they'll probably be good

This doesn't seem to repeat how they had Fallout 3 and Skyrim reviewed where all the reviewers were in a posh DC area hotel on Zenimax's dime so I think the results will be interesting

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Bholder posted:

You sure are rather controlling about what people are allowed to be mad about, in your own little head.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

This doesn't seem to repeat how they had Fallout 3 and Skyrim reviewed where all the reviewers were in a posh DC area hotel on Zenimax's dime so I think the results will be interesting

Do people still think that reviewers actually want to go to those lovely review events?

pacmania90
May 31, 2010
If there's a negative review you guys will just ignore it because "Bethesda can do no wrong!?!" so the review embargo is pointless.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's bad. Lots of videos showing 15fps gameplay in empty rooms, using weapon scopes, simply wandering around the wasteland, etc.

poo poo. I'll go for the PC version then. My rig's really showing its age, but it can muster more than that at least.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

Do people still think that reviewers actually want to go to those lovely review events?

Of course they don't, but at the same time getting the luxury treatment is likely to affect review scores.

Also according to GAF some people having the PS4 FPS issues fixed it by doing a database rebuild.

Edit: /\ by "lots" he means 3 or 4 videos and some are recorded from streams so it could be the stream itself. The issues seem to be fairly rare and if you're on a lower spec PC it might be just as bad.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Nov 9, 2015

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Is there a benchmark for this around? i5@3.5 GHz, 8 gigs RAM, GTX 760 should be enough, right? :ohdear:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Half an hour until we can play this poo poo game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Beasteh posted:

Is there a benchmark for this around? i5@3.5 GHz, 8 gigs RAM, GTX 760 should be enough, right? :ohdear:

Should be good if Bethesda's requirements are accurate.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
which VPN are people using generally? i'm trying f-secure freedome but once i actually start the VPN i can't log into steam anymore for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

botany posted:

which VPN are people using generally? i'm trying f-secure freedome but once i actually start the VPN i can't log into steam anymore for some reason.
Yeah, same. Doesn't even send a Steamguard email. Going to look for another one.

• Locked thread