Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

Oooh yeahhhh

Also:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Wow, that's rather self-congratulatory.

(Herb Alpert is the A in A&M Records)

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

She hasn't aged a day. :wink:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I've never actually heard the record, but if it's sold so many copies that you will always see it where there are records then Herb Alpert was probably some hot poo poo back then.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
How many kids from the time period have probably beat it to that record...

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

That blurb mentions "The Lonely Bull," which was Alpert's first hit single, which has a melody that just sticks in my ear. In a good way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_fqccLc0aE

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

CPL593H posted:

Play them all at once and record it like that guy did with the White Album.

Thinking about it, that may be where I got the idea from and then forgot about it. This record will be far less expensive to collect. I'll see what I can do, but this is more of a long term plan for me.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

I've never actually heard the record, but if it's sold so many copies that you will always see it where there are records then Herb Alpert was probably some hot poo poo back then.

Hot poo poo is an understatement, I'm pretty sure he outsold The Beatles a few times.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

CPL593H posted:

It's good. I like Going Places a little better but just because it's got the newlywed game song on it. Haha

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Any preamp thoughts?

Currently running an ultra cheap Behringer so perhaps an upgrade is in order.

Primarily listening through a pair of Adam A7X monitors, so not cheap computer speakers :). Carts are a Grado Black1 and a Shure M97xE; turntables are a 1200-mk2 (currently repairing) and an SL-Q200.

Not looking to spend $500 on bullshit, just wondering if it’s worth upgrading to something a little nicer.

These caught my attention as potentially good values:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WSOIKNK
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Bear-Turntable-preamplifier-amplifier/dp/B00H0FIGUO/

but not really sure what to look for.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Is it kosher to post turntables for sale here or link to SA-Mart postings thereof? I have come into possession of an Onkyo CP-1057F and Technics SL-3200 and am not into vinyl. I'd like to sell them or trade, they should be in the hands of someone who can use them and not in my basement.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MJP posted:

Is it kosher to post turntables for sale here or link to SA-Mart postings thereof? I have come into possession of an Onkyo CP-1057F and Technics SL-3200 and am not into vinyl. I'd like to sell them or trade, they should be in the hands of someone who can use them and not in my basement.

Why - don't you want to sell to gentiles?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just as long as they hand the money over through a hole in a sheet, it's all good.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I was in LA the other day and thought of you guys...

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Meh, there's like a million of those things at Goodwill.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Detective Thompson posted:

Meh, there's like a million of those things at Goodwill.

We don't get too many Hollywood walk of fame stars on the east coast though

Check your privilege.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Is there a Black Friday Record Store Day again this year? Shouldn't we heard something about it by now?

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Ballz posted:

Is there a Black Friday Record Store Day again this year? Shouldn't we heard something about it by now?

The list is here: http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases

Or here if you like PDFs: http://download.recordstoreday.com/free/2012BLACK_FRIDAY_PUBLIC.pdf

No one's talking about it because...well, look at that list.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Oh thank God, that reissue of The Pod is an RSD First release, and not an RSD-Only release.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Good grief you're not kidding. MAYBE the Primus, but with only 700 copies I doubt I'll run into it. Nothing else remotely interests me.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Woof. Aside from Mekons that list is rough

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

interpunct posted:

The list is here: http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases

Or here if you like PDFs: http://download.recordstoreday.com/free/2012BLACK_FRIDAY_PUBLIC.pdf

No one's talking about it because...well, look at that list.

How much are they going to gouge us for the NIN one? I didn't see a price but I might also be blind.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Flaggy posted:

How much are they going to gouge us for the NIN one? I didn't see a price but I might also be blind.

Bullmoose says the list price is $89.98 (but they'll be selling it for ~$86): http://www.bullmoose.com/p/20741209/nine-inch-nails-halo-i-iv-lp3-12-box-set

Edit: Bullmoose's list with prices is here: http://www.bullmoose.com/c/13165/black-friday-record-store-day/0

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
The only thing I'm interested that's coming out on RSD isn't actually a part of RSD - a bunch of Neko Case reissues are being released. Blacklisted, Furnace Room Lullaby and The Tigers Have Spoken.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The Sonics rule. Get the Sonics box.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If it requires an SA-Mart posting I'll happily post, but I figure it's worth trying here. Mods, if this is a problem, lemme know and I'll edit this post out.

I have two turntables that I found amongst my late grandpa's stuff: an Onkyo CP-5740F and Technics SL-3200. I sold both on Craigslist yesterday but wasn't sure of their state, and I offered the buyer a refund if they had any major problems. He wants to return them, but now I know what's up. The full info:

Technics SL-3200 semiautomatic stereo turntable. This thing is a tank and was stored with all its original packaging. It has what appears to be an unused Audio-Technica cartridge installed - it's still got the plastic cover on it. It powers up, plays, and navigates just fine, but the tonearm doesn't always return to the rest once the record is finished. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. There are some purely cosmetic paint splatters on the power cord.

Onkyo CP-1057F fully automatic stereo turntable. Powers on, navigates, and plays but the guy I sold it to said it needs a new cartridge. It presently has a Shure cartridge installed. There is also a few specks of paint on the display, but these are purely cosmetic and look like a little bit of dust. Its functionality is not impeded. It was stored with the dust cover closed, so the platter and all playing parts are super clean.

I'm in northern NJ. Willing to ship at actual cost, and these are heavy objects. Asking $125 for the Technics, $80 for the Onkyo, both are OBO. I'd trade both for a 3DSXL or other interesting stuff.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Huh, couple weeks of things on there I didn't notice on the other list. Might keep an eye out for the Beck and Pharcyde singles.

On the other hand they're just singles so... :effort:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

MJP posted:

If it requires an SA-Mart posting I'll happily post, but I figure it's worth trying here. Mods, if this is a problem, lemme know and I'll edit this post out.

I have two turntables that I found amongst my late grandpa's stuff: an Onkyo CP-5740F and Technics SL-3200. I sold both on Craigslist yesterday but wasn't sure of their state, and I offered the buyer a refund if they had any major problems. He wants to return them, but now I know what's up. The full info:

Technics SL-3200 semiautomatic stereo turntable. This thing is a tank and was stored with all its original packaging. It has what appears to be an unused Audio-Technica cartridge installed - it's still got the plastic cover on it. It powers up, plays, and navigates just fine, but the tonearm doesn't always return to the rest once the record is finished. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. There are some purely cosmetic paint splatters on the power cord.

Onkyo CP-1057F fully automatic stereo turntable. Powers on, navigates, and plays but the guy I sold it to said it needs a new cartridge. It presently has a Shure cartridge installed. There is also a few specks of paint on the display, but these are purely cosmetic and look like a little bit of dust. Its functionality is not impeded. It was stored with the dust cover closed, so the platter and all playing parts are super clean.

I'm in northern NJ. Willing to ship at actual cost, and these are heavy objects. Asking $125 for the Technics, $80 for the Onkyo, both are OBO. I'd trade both for a 3DSXL or other interesting stuff.

Did you charge the other guy the same price you're asking?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BigFactory posted:

Did you charge the other guy the same price you're asking?

Those were OBO prices, he made an offer to take both and pay cash, and I accepted it. As much as I'd love someone to sweep 'em both out at full price, these are OBO, and I'd be open to negotiation depending on the circumstances. That said, I won't entertain lowballs to get 'em out ASAP.

I extended the return option to the guy because I couldn't guarantee them, he came to my house to pick them up, and it behooved me to ensure he didn't want to come back and sue me. For what it's worth, if I sell them here (or if I sell anything else here or on any online forum) I insist on Paypal with goods/services payment, so the buyer doesn't lose the Paypal protection. I don't ask for fees to be covered by the buyer, unless they feel generous - it's factored into my OBO price.

Now that I know what's up with them I have a clearer picture, so I can at least guarantee functionality save for what I've already mentioned.

I based 'em off of what I could find on Ebay recently sold items, for what that's worth.

MJP fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 9, 2015

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Ballz posted:

Huh, couple weeks of things on there I didn't notice on the other list. Might keep an eye out for the Beck and Pharcyde singles.

On the other hand they're just singles so... :effort:

The Beck single is a song that's going to be on his next album. Also you can already buy it from his website.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

CPL593H posted:

The Beck single is a song that's going to be on his next album. Also you can already buy it from his website.

But but but... It's on blue vinyl with puffy packaging!

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Barry posted:

The only thing I'm interested that's coming out on RSD isn't actually a part of RSD - a bunch of Neko Case reissues are being released. Blacklisted, Furnace Room Lullaby and The Tigers Have Spoken.

I'm very interested in these. Are they being released individually? I've only seen the box set, and as much as I love her work I don't think I can justify that price.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I want the Get Up Kids but not enough to wait in line for it.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Creature posted:

I'm very interested in these. Are they being released individually? I've only seen the box set, and as much as I love her work I don't think I can justify that price.

Furnace Room Lullaby - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B016DHJ7ZW/

Blacklisted - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B016DHJ7WA/

The Tigers Have Spoken - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B016DHJ84C/

Bonus Barnes & Noble exclusive variant of Blacklisted for some reason: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/blacklisted-neko-case/29141545

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Monday_ posted:

I want the Get Up Kids but not enough to wait in line for it.

Where did all respectable convictions go?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Creature posted:

Yeah like Interpunct posted, they're all on Amazon right now for $20 each.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Here's a cool record I just bought -- a local jazz trio did covers of some Black Sabbath and Nirvana songs, and a local brewery published the record for them.

Bonus MP3 download for whoever.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

a worthy uhh posted:

Here's a cool record I just bought -- a local jazz trio did covers of some Black Sabbath and Nirvana songs, and a local brewery published the record for them.

Bonus MP3 download for whoever.

That's actually pretty drat cool. Is there a way to get it online?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

That's actually pretty drat cool. Is there a way to get it online?

http://mikelorenz.bandcamp.com/album/mike-lorenz-friendz if there are any left still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
RSD Judgement Night soundtrack! Christmas comes early!