Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

While we're talking about condi duration, I wanted to answer a question someone asked me yesterday before I crashed for the night:

Condi duration is capped at 100%, yes, but Chemical Rounds (engineer pistol trait which extends all your pistol conditions by 50%) actually modifies the skills themselves. So the 50% extension doesn't count towards the 100% cap.

If you're thinking "well doesn't that make Chemical Rounds really good" then - you're right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Thunderbro posted:

Been playing Glint/Dwarf Revenant with Sword+Axe/Hammer in SPVP. It's utterly disgusting, like a Dragonhunter and Thief had some kind of uber baby that vomits team buffs. 1v2 people through sheer damage and sustain, stability stomp all day, the best defensive team buffs in the game. I fear the nerfs coming when people figure out just how gross non-Shiro rev is.

Also Dwarf hammers are legitimately glitched. They stay up through everything, including dying, which is utterly hilarious if you plop your corpse down on a CQ point.

I'm not discounting Jalis — in fact, I think all the legendary stances are great — but you can do that (stability stomps) with Shiro as well, or any stance really. You just need Retribution, which gives 3 seconds of stability on dodge from Unwavering Avoidance, and Enhanced Bulwark which gives 6 seconds of stability whenever you gain stability. Just dodge before every stomp and you're good. Shiro can additionally have quickness for every stomp which is just amazing, and allows you to skip Enhanced Bulwark if you prefer one of the other two traits.

Jalis, with Enhanced Bulwark, is great in Stronghold. You drop Inspiring Reinforcement before capturing Mist Essence, and gradually get 10 stacks of Stability (5 at 1s, 5 at 6s base). If you start to get focused down, you switch to Glint and activate Facet of Light -> Infuse Light, which won't interrupt the capture. Use staff and Dismantle Fortifications and suddenly you're the best class at contesting Mist Essence, even better than Rangers and Warriors.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Does anyone know how to get SweetFX running with the 64 bit client?

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Finished the HoT story. Final boss was rad, taimi was adorable, story was good, considering this isnt really a game to be played with a story

Plus I got to let thackary rot in a turning chamber

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Finally getting a chance to play around with some of the HoT stuff, enjoying it, but it is a little bit of a grind to get the abilities. What's the quickest way to earn EXP on the Maguuma maps? I've just been event hopping.

Also plotwise holy poo poo, the sheer amount of things that could have been avoided if someone was smart enough to kill the obviously evil Faolain.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

LordHippoman posted:

Finally getting a chance to play around with some of the HoT stuff, enjoying it, but it is a little bit of a grind to get the abilities. What's the quickest way to earn EXP on the Maguuma maps? I've just been event hopping.

This is pretty much my take on it...

1. Use boosters. Use as many as you can and always have them active. XP from kills is a huge chunk of XP. 10% XP is a lot. Both guilds have the new guild XP boosts available as well.
2. Follow the event chains. Verdant brink has 5 or 6 mini event chains that you can follow as the NPCs set up the camps in preparation for nightfall. Following them will ensure that you're always getting mob/event XP and you get a mastery point for each and I believe an additional one for completing all of them in VB.
3. Do the Adventures. Once the event chains finish, you will have plenty of time to do the adventures which should all be open if it's a good map. You can get silver on most of them pretty easily and there are a surprising number that are easy to get gold on. You'll get a bonus chest each time you get a new tier and a mastery point for getting gold and/or silver. There are a ton of videos on youtube that show how to get gold if you're into that.
4. Tag Mobs. If you're on a slow-rear end melee character you're going to miss out on XP. I'm not going to tell anyone how to play, so decide what's worth more to you.
5. Kill yellow mobs. Odds are that they're worth 2k XP because they've been sitting out in the map and nobody has bothered to kill them.
6. Try to stick to one map. You get awards as the map progresses through the meta events and your final reward will be better.
7. Stay the gently caress out of Tangled Depths.
8. Find a good map sooner than later. Don't waste your time on empty maps if there are organized ones in LFG.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 9, 2015

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
In addition to all that, make sure you have some kind of weapon buff and food buff. You get get like 25% more exp that way.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

In addition to all that, make sure you have some kind of weapon buff and food buff. You get get like 25% more exp that way.

Yeah, this. Even if it's like 10% damage against Flame Legion or something useless. It's free XP.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

LordHippoman posted:

Also plotwise holy poo poo, the sheer amount of things that could have been avoided if someone was smart enough to kill the obviously evil Faolain.

This is why I loving hate Caithe so goddamn much. STOP TRYING TO REDEEM FAOLAIN. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Kerrrrrrr posted:

This is why I loving hate Caithe so goddamn much. STOP TRYING TO REDEEM FAOLAIN. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

Uhh, it does happen, like, in the game. :colbert:

"So, Braham, how fares your dear mother? I hope she didn't think I was a thorn in her side!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Same but replace Caithe with Anet and FAOLAIN with Taimi.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

SlothBear posted:

Same but replace Caithe with Anet and FAOLAIN with Taimi.

Taimi is the best character you shut the HECK up

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

LordHippoman posted:

A little south of the Itzel village wp is a tree village full of veteran spiders, got through the plot masteries pretty quick running in circles with xp boosts.

LordHippoman posted:

Also plotwise holy poo poo, the sheer amount of things that could have been avoided if someone was smart

Could just stop the sentence here.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I'm still actually enjoying hot. I'll be sad to have to give it up tomorrow.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
gently caress that airship jumping puzzle in Verdant Brink. gently caress it sideways!

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Imaginary Friend posted:

gently caress that airship jumping puzzle in Verdant Brink. gently caress it sideways!

I held off until I had advanced flying and then just flew in right below the summit. Felt good.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

This probably won't be a factor for goons unless only a small number of us try it, but I did a rush with a mate's guild (9 people running) and it was the first time they'd done the quaggan one, so we only managed to get three through - however, they've changed it so that you don't get individual rewards unless you get 15 through, so it just fails and you get nothing. It's a little bit of a dick move.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Illuyankas posted:

This probably won't be a factor for goons unless only a small number of us try it, but I did a rush with a mate's guild (9 people running) and it was the first time they'd done the quaggan one, so we only managed to get three through - however, they've changed it so that you don't get individual rewards unless you get 15 through, so it just fails and you get nothing. It's a little bit of a dick move.

When we did it last night it "completed" but no one got any rewards so it seems to be broken atm anyhow.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Canach loving zinged a crippled child. 10/10 would/did play on all my alts.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Lonk posted:

Canach loving zinged a crippled child. 10/10 would/did play on all my alts.

"I'm not saying it, nature's saying it." :smuggo:

Canach :allears:

That mission bugged out a few times for me, and that line always made me feel better.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Rakeris posted:

When we did it last night it "completed" but no one got any rewards so it seems to be broken atm anyhow.

We did puzzle twice cause 4/9 people got rewards the first time, and four more the next, and the ninth guy would rather leave it than make us do Langmar three times in a row.

Kitty Fantastico
Nov 26, 2005

Mizuti posted:

Does anyone know how to get SweetFX running with the 64 bit client?

I tried and tried, but in the end the best I got was a silent crash to desktop.

This was easy though, and includes all the SweetFX stuff. It does have mandatory status text in the top left briefly after every loading screen though.
Personally, I'll suffer that as I can't live without LumaSharpen @ 1.5 strength - it looks like the game forgot to put its glasses on without it.

Uhh, summary:
Fire up the Mediator. Add GW2. Name your preset.
Enable your preferred shaders in Pipeline tab. Adjust settings for them in SweetFX tab. Press Apply.
Go back to Mediator tab. Press Update. Select your named preset from the dropdown. Push to Application.
It'll place a ReShade folder, a d3d9.dll, and a ReShade.fx file in the GW2 folder. Cut all 3 and paste them into the bin64 subfolder.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
At this point exp is not even the issue anymore, i'm like 13 mastery points behind on filled bars..

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Sounds like its time for you to get gold on floor is lava

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Huh, the new Guild Armor set is actually kind of awesome.

http://dulfy.net/2015/11/08/gw2-hot-weapons-armor-and-backpieces-guide/#Guild_Armor

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I really really like the guild heavy top

I also really really wish ANet would stop making medium armor trench coats

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

I really really like the guild heavy top

I also really really wish ANet would stop making medium armor trench coats

I agree. It seems like they've been doing that to a limited extent with how they've made several more heavily armored sets, but maybe they could go the other way.

The other weapons from that page are great. It really gives you a sense of how Anet listened to the players and included new skins available from PvE rather than the gem store. There seems to be a good mix too, from the easily obtainable Reclaimed weapons to the anime-tier ones that are really rare or have extensive collections to unlock.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

TheLey-Guard shield and pistol are neato.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

And I really, really, really want some of those Shimmering weapons. The Shimmering Sword is pretty much perfect.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Ok so I just started playing with my daredevil last night, and I don't see any reason to ever not have it on my trait bar. With dash and the daredevil heal (which is auper loving fast as a channel skill) I can easily stack 1 min+ of swiftness for runjing outside of combat. And that's without the swiftness on dodge trait! It also helps that the daredevil starting staff is pretty much perfect for my outfit. Sadly this now means I have to go looking at my thief again, and try to fix the terrible dyes I have on it.

I know a lot of thief mains are upset at daredevil not really adding anything to thief because it is similar to the old acrobatics, but I never messed with acrobatics on my thief before the trait change. This poo poo is actually really cool and fun. I feel like it gives the thief a different playstyle than just backstab and heartseeker, which is great! Now if only they could fix everything else about the thief that made backstabs feel like the only useful way to play. Like making poison builds interesting, or traps useful outside of pvp. And fix pistols, yeah.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Yeah, a big improvement over the old guild armor/weapons.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

The guild heavy set somewhat reminds me of human T3. I really like the auric weapons and am glad I have a choice of two of them from the relevant PvP reward track waiting for me.

Also, that legendary backpiece looks so goddamn dumb. But I presume it has some cool effects to make up for that.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

I actually really like the light guild armor (and pretty much all the weapons), but I really want to know what ANet has against pants.

My mesmer just wants a sensible pair of pants with no skirts or lack of crotch, is that so wrong? :mad:

I can make do with the Jungle Explorer set I GUESS, but I want separates, goddamn it.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Sprite141 posted:

Ok so I just started playing with my daredevil last night, and I don't see any reason to ever not have it on my trait bar. With dash and the daredevil heal (which is auper loving fast as a channel skill) I can easily stack 1 min+ of swiftness for runjing outside of combat. And that's without the swiftness on dodge trait! It also helps that the daredevil starting staff is pretty much perfect for my outfit. Sadly this now means I have to go looking at my thief again, and try to fix the terrible dyes I have on it.

I know a lot of thief mains are upset at daredevil not really adding anything to thief because it is similar to the old acrobatics, but I never messed with acrobatics on my thief before the trait change. This poo poo is actually really cool and fun. I feel like it gives the thief a different playstyle than just backstab and heartseeker, which is great! Now if only they could fix everything else about the thief that made backstabs feel like the only useful way to play. Like making poison builds interesting, or traps useful outside of pvp. And fix pistols, yeah.

You can have perma-swiftness with just the swiftness on dodge trait and preferably Pack runes which you're probably already using anyway. Anything else seems overkill.

It might just be a sPvP thing, but Vault-spamming Daredevils are by far the worst experience I've had facing Thieves. It makes me so glad I mostly play classes that are fairly good at killing them (Dragonhunter and Revenant), because a Thief with 5+ dodges (Signet of Agility, which every Thief uses) spamming a leap that evades and does 4k+ damage per hit is loving absurd — it's like a S/D Thief on crack.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Sprite141 posted:

Now if only they could fix everything else about the thief that made backstabs feel like the only useful way to play. Like making poison builds interesting, or traps useful outside of pvp.

oh son

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Generic Octopus posted:

A little south of the Itzel village wp is a tree village full of veteran spiders, got through the plot masteries pretty quick running in circles with xp boosts.

Once you've completed the story, gently caress these spiders and go to Dragon's Stand. If you run boosters that meta event gives insane exp as well as "useful" currencies, and is way more fun than fighting pubbies for spider spawns for hours.
Just don't be me. Get the 64-bit client so you don't crash, and party up with someone so you have a way back into your map when you crash anyway.

I don't know if this is common knowledge or not, but according to reddit if you enter the guild hall and then exit through the southwest entrance, it shits you out in verdant brink no matter what your character level is. So anyone with updrafts and bouncing mushrooms can get any level 15+ character to the flax farm under Jaka Itzel. I know what I'm doing with all 8 alts tonight

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 9, 2015

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

I have hope! I mained a ranger since release, and look at them now. Though maybe thinking pistols getting changed is too much.

Liberatore posted:

You can have perma-swiftness with just the swiftness on dodge trait and preferably Pack runes which you're probably already using anyway. Anything else seems overkill.

I use fury runes actually, which might not be ideal. And yeah the 1 minute of swiftness is totally overkill, but dashing around is fun. If only you could switch between the dodge types while in combat. I guess they could be too similar to a utility then?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Sprite141 posted:

I use fury runes actually, which might not be ideal. And yeah the 1 minute of swiftness is totally overkill, but dashing around is fun. If only you could switch between the dodge types while in combat. I guess they could be too similar to a utility then?

Idk, they gave several other classes a new function key mechanic, I think doing the same to be able to toggle dodge types would be hot for daredevil. A little more variety/flavor would be nice, given that it's the one spec that doesn't seem to add much.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Idk, they gave several other classes a new function key mechanic, I think doing the same to be able to toggle dodge types would be hot for daredevil. A little more variety/flavor would be nice, given that it's the one spec that doesn't seem to add much.

That's what every thief was asking for all through beta, instead we get shafted out of grand master traits which are amazing for every other class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

malhavok posted:

That's what every thief was asking for all through beta, instead we get shafted out of grand master traits which are amazing for every other class.

Oh yeah, definitely. I'd even be ok with having the dodges not be buttons just so long as they aren't taking up a gm trait spot.

• Locked thread