Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Pash posted:

Probably Facebook/Hope and Prayer...

Thanks for the tip, I normally don't like using facebook, but I found a store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

wdarkk posted:

Thanks for the tip, I normally don't like using facebook, but I found a store.

Ya I do like nothing on facebook other than organize miniature games...

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Kickstarter just had another update. Apparently the reward for £310,000 was a bolt-on of an exclusive 2-up of the UCM Beijing. It's 284mm long and going for £40. If that's you're thing.

Whatever this is is set at £325,000

I've got to say though, £500,000 is looking more and more likely by the end of the campaign. I was hedging my bets and expecting £350,000, but now I'm thinking it'll go way past that. Especially with the expected surge of backers in the last two days.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Safety Factor posted:

Whatever this is is set at £325,000

They mentioned somewhere that their might be another KS exclusive UCM ship, so this could be it... Unless thats some sort of space station and we have a stations pack next? Anyways we will probably find out today or tomorrow.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
With the other concept sketch they posted a few updates ago i'm expecting a space station personally

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
The Beijing for £40 is pretty good value and quite a lot less than I was expecting for the size of it! Not really my thing though until the day I find myself owning a bigger house.

There was a space station image in a previous update so I'm guessing they have a couple of designs in the works. I'm thinking the next unlock is either a station or some other scenario piece like a transport ship. This new thing could be either to my eyes.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

How do you guys measure distance from infantry units in a building to vehicles/other buildings? I didn't remember reading any guidance. We put our infantry units on top of the building to signify they were in but then kinda just fudged the measurements.

You would kind of assume your dudes were spread along one side of a building instead of deep in the middle. But if you needed to fire out an adjacent side, do you just assume the 1" MF covers it? And not be able to fire the UCM rocket launcher, which has a MF of 0"?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Prefect Six posted:

How do you guys measure distance from infantry units in a building to vehicles/other buildings? I didn't remember reading any guidance. We put our infantry units on top of the building to signify they were in but then kinda just fudged the measurements.

You would kind of assume your dudes were spread along one side of a building instead of deep in the middle. But if you needed to fire out an adjacent side, do you just assume the 1" MF covers it? And not be able to fire the UCM rocket launcher, which has a MF of 0"?
The garrison rules are pretty clear on this stuff. You can assign bases to specific walls or have them hide inside the building to avoid taking fire. Range and line of sight are worked out from any point along the assigned wall(s). MF values are pretty much ignored since your bases aren't actually moving. They can't do anything else if they're assigned to a wall and have to stay there until their next turn which allows enemies to fire back and all that.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

The garrison rules are pretty clear on this stuff. You can assign bases to specific walls or have them hide inside the building to avoid taking fire. Range and line of sight are worked out from any point along the assigned wall(s). MF values are pretty much ignored since your bases aren't actually moving. They can't do anything else if they're assigned to a wall and have to stay there until their next turn which allows enemies to fire back and all that.

Crap, we completely missed this while playing. I'll go back and spend some time in the garrison's section. Thanks!

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Another related thing to remember is that if you manage to hit infantry on the walls with a template weapon they take 2d6 hits. At least around here people don't seem to be very aware of that and i've had several opponents be pretty surprised by a longbow shell going into a window.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Also 'moving' infantry from one wall to another counts as 0“ for purposes of MF which means your snipers can fire every turn that they are on the walls.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They're over £325,000 now and the latest unlock is a plastic space station scenery pack. The kit itself hasn't been finalized yet so all they're showing is some concept art. The kit is going to make 3 large and 4 small space stations and is going to cost backers £30. At least the concept art is pretty sweet:

Also, the latest update says there should be more PHR renders put out tomorrow.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Love it. Space bases!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I want it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Will there be Scourge space stations? It seems like there should be, since they have all those space ships that might need overhauls or veterinary checkups or whatever.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The art of Scourge cities in Reconquest Phase One depicts human structures with Scourge-y bits grown on top of them, so there may be a "Scourge accessory sprue".

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Right when I decided I can't defend the money and time spent on a game that no one plays around here!

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
There was a new Dropfleet update today with PHR cruiser renders!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They also gave a few details on how the PHR are going to play. They'll focus more on cruisers than the other factions and will have fewer frigate options as a result. Their cruisers specialize in broadsides as we already knew. You can see some of the variants in the designs already posted, but there'll be light, medium, and heavy weapons (they've said these are placeholder names :v:). Light weapon broadsides will have a bunch of lower strength shots meant to annihilate smaller ships while heavy broadsides will have much fewer shots that are very likely to penetrate armor and do a bunch of damage. Medium will be between the two, as usual, I guess. The play style sounds like it'll be different enough from the UCM and I'm a big fan of the PHR ships' aesthetic though I'd kind of like to see an alternate prow at some point. Still waiting on frigate designs and who knows what their battleship will end up looking like.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I wanna see the torpedo cruiser that Dave has talked about before. I'm wondering if it will just be a prow gun swap or if it might extend back and take up the 'forward battery' slot as well?

It is probably worth noting the load outs on these things:

Icarus - Light battery + hangars
Orion - double medium battery
Perseus - Light + Heavy battery

They all have some sort of rail gun turret in the prow, while the Ajax seen previously had a laser thing (burn through laser?)in the prow plus double light battery.

While I think it is fitting for PHR doctrine to focus on heavier ships, that does imply that the kickstarter is going to provide me with more frigates than I will probably ever need! Yay for spare options? I will likely end up leaving a few on the sprues in case Hawk decide to put out rules for new variants later on...

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Or "Dictator", "Overlord", and "Lunar" for the cynically-minded. Nice to see them in the flesh at last, though.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
God drat those PHR ships own. Who doesn't love broadsides in space?

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Loxbourne posted:

Or "Dictator", "Overlord", and "Lunar" for the cynically-minded. Nice to see them in the flesh at last, though.

Who cares if it's actually supported!

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Loxbourne posted:

A buddy of mine thinks that the PHR ship aesthetic is a cross between the Imperium and the Covenant from Halo.

I think they're more the Imperium through an HR Giger filter and that's awesome. They've got lots of smooth surface area that'll look great with some Taiidani style stripes.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Loxbourne posted:

I forget, we're those the BFG imperial classes? Because yes, obvious inspiration source is waving hello. I'm completely fine with it however as I am quite nostalgic for BFG as are many of the other nerds throwing money at the new Andy Chambers spaceship game.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Yes, I was referring to the BFG Imperial cruiser classes - specifically the plastic cruisers that used the same two-block armament system. The "block of broadside guns" + "two large turrets" particularly gave me flashbacks.

None of the above is a bad thing, of course. I'm just not surprised that this particular project is waving its inspiration so boldly for all to see. I was never very fond of BFG as a game but the models were nice, and the gameplay demo demonstrated they've removed most of the things I found obnoxious about BFG so here's hoping.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I'm no naval buff but isn't it more that both games are referencing a common source?

BFG is significantly different to DFC, anyway. Much like epic and DZC.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I stumbled across an interview with Dave Lewis on a german miniatures site, it has a lot of stuff you probably heard already but also some new stuff about the ground aspect of dropfleet. There's a short german preamble but the interview itself is in english. http://www.magabotato.de/podcast/item/interview-2

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
If I understand correctly, DZC plays at 1500 points on a 4x4 table. Confirm/deny? Also can someone tell me how big 1500 points is relative to a starter box?

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Dropfleet updated today with more angles of the Scourge and UCM cruisers.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

signalnoise posted:

If I understand correctly, DZC plays at 1500 points on a 4x4 table. Confirm/deny? Also can someone tell me how big 1500 points is relative to a starter box?

Yes, the standard game size is 1500 on a 4x4. The starter boxes hover round 550 points. A quick way to get to around 1500 is two starter boxes and a commander although you might want more specialized units instead of the second starter for more variety.

Edit:
If you like you can fiddle around with the fan made army builder here http://www.dzc-ffor.com/
It's also a good idea to be familiar with the Battlegroup/Slot system before placing a big order so you don't get a bunch of stuff you don't have the slots for.

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 12, 2015

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
Seeing how the PHR are just Imperial Navy via a Giger and "bad guy ships from 80s space anime" filter, and you don't get PHR in the two-player starter, I am incredibly tempted to drop from a "1 starter box" pledge to the bolt-ons only pledge and buy 2 PHR boxes.

I don't even play PHR in Dropzone, I just love that broadsides and smooth curved surfaces design because it reminds me a bit of Legend of the Galactic Heroes with a Halo slant.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Bistromatic posted:

It's also a good idea to be familiar with the Battlegroup/Slot system before placing a big order so you don't get a bunch of stuff you don't have the slots for.

Yeah I own the starters for PHR and Resistance but I suppose I should like... read the rules or some poo poo

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I've been eyeing this game up for ages and it looks baller, but the Dropfleet still has floored me, those UCM Fleets are gorgeous. I wish the Shaltari ships did anything for me though because I do quite love their walkers as well.

Just debating on picking up Dropzone now...I don't have a super amount of mini systems but I don't have time to play them all as it is.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
There's supposed to be painted shaltari photos later this week, maybe those will do more for you. I always find that Hawks stuff looks much better in photos than in renders and much better in person than in photos. Maybe it's just me but the difference seems to be larger than for other companies.

And i found that dropzone is comparatively easy to get into, the scale and number models keep painting time and cost pretty reasonable in my opinion. I have no idea idea why it's billed as a mass battle system actually, it feels "one step above skirmish" to me with maybe twenty to forty minis per side depending on list and faction.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Oh wow, really? I thought it was a super battle game kinda like Supreme Commander as a minis game, that's quite surprising.

Yeah, I'm waiting til payday before I back the kickster (kinda want that Beijing-Class backstarter add on too...) but the renders for the Shaltari ships seemed really minimal with a spastic amount of detail on the bits that were there, it just looked really weird to me.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

There should also be painted PHR ships on show before the kickstarter ends, so that is cool.

Dropzone has a lower model count than something like Epic 40k did at the standard 1500pts, but for me it's enough. You can of course play bigger games if you want.

The PHR army list I took to the last invasion tournament had 30 models in it. PHR have the reputation of being more points per model than other factions so I guess that's in the lower end of the spectrum.

The list I'm taking to warfare this weekend uses lots of big expensive units (double type 4 super heavy Walker list) and clocks in at 27 models which is probably pushing towards the minimum before I'd come to my senses and go back to the drawing board.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
A new update is up with some renders of more cruiser variants, including some heavies and even a light. Here's a couple:

It's interesting that the light cruiser has no prow weapons at all. That Achilles though. :stare:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Torp launcher and double heavy batteries = serious heavy hitter!

I see a double flight deck and apparently double burn through lasers on the Bellerophon! Lots of (what I assume are) burn through prow lasers on these heavy cruisers actually.

I'm not convinced about the Orpheus class Assault Troopship. It appears that the slightly fatter whale chin is what makes it a troop transport. I was hoping to see something more obvious like the UCM's troop pod thingy to distinguish it. At least there is a clear differentiation between light, standard and heavy cruisers, then I guess you just need to recognise the three gun sizes/hangar decks to know what the ship does which should make them quite readable on the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
There's also a heavy carrier with both slots filled with fighter bays and a long, deep nose, and another heavy cruiser with medium guns on the flanks and a double laser? nose.

I'm guessing that thing on the bow of the Achillies-class murderbarge up there is a PHR torpedo.