Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It did indeed. I think I was allied by the time I'd turned even just half of the data in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Insanely excited to check out the new ships tomorrow.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Where would be the best place we know of to grind reputation with the Empire using that whole 'stack kill X missions' thing?

Basically, what do I do and where do I go to be a lord asap?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Insanely excited to check out the new ships tomorrow.
Same. Imperial Cutter :getin:

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
Holy crap this game is awesome. Just picked this up the other day on steam, spent last night putzing back and forth between some star systems doing some trading and trying to do some missions. Spent a couple of hours jumping as far away as I could get so I could sell some juicy exploration data! Almost ran out of fuel and managed to escape interdiction twice before slamming into a space dock. Randomly found a wanted dude so I shot him with my lasers and now I'm rich. Can't wait to get a shiny new space ship!

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

forkbucket posted:

Holy crap this game is awesome. Just picked this up the other day on steam, spent last night putzing back and forth between some star systems doing some trading and trying to do some missions. Spent a couple of hours jumping as far away as I could get so I could sell some juicy exploration data! Almost ran out of fuel and managed to escape interdiction twice before slamming into a space dock. Randomly found a wanted dude so I shot him with my lasers and now I'm rich. Can't wait to get a shiny new space ship!

They're so cute when they're young.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Glad to see that Reddit groupthink has already declared the Corvette a garbage ship.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Glad to see that Reddit groupthink has already declared the Corvette a garbage ship.

With what justification? (No reddit @ work for me)

Has anyone here toyed around with the Cutter yet? I NEED TO KNOW HOW MAJESTIC MY FUTURE SLAM QUEEN IS!

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kavros posted:

Where would be the best place we know of to grind reputation with the Empire using that whole 'stack kill X missions' thing?

Basically, what do I do and where do I go to be a lord asap?

Achenar is all Empire stations and almost all of the missions I'm getting are in a system 1 jump away. I stack like 2 or 3 combat missions then go off and shoot mans.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Is this game at all like EVE where other players can murder you anytime anywhere or can you mostly wander around space doing whatever?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Bakalakadaka posted:

Is this game at all like EVE where other players can murder you anytime anywhere or can you mostly wander around space doing whatever?

Outside of stations you can be murdered with little judicial repercussion but it's pretty easy to ignore the game's equivalent of tackling and make your would-be killers very upset as you run away.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bakalakadaka posted:

There's an open play (where other players are present and you can kill each other) or solo (just npcs).

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Romes128 posted:

There's an open play (where other players are present and you can kill each other) or solo (just npcs).

Don't forget private, you can play in a friends only group.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Why? I need info!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Well for one the beta isn't out yet (and there are countless hairsplitting arguements over whether it will be out today) but apparently the 2 C4 slots on the corvette mean that it will be inferior to the Anaconda because reasons.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Well for one the beta isn't out yet (and there are countless hairsplitting arguements over whether it will be out today) but apparently the 2 C4 slots on the corvette mean that it will be inferior to the Anaconda because reasons.

What the gently caress is this crap? I thought the beta had started already and got excited. Stupid Redditors. :mad:

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Joke's gonna be on them after Frontier unveils the C4 Multi-railgun (or even beams).

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

What the gently caress is this crap? I thought the beta had started already and got excited. Stupid Redditors. :mad:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Well i guess you'll have to buy one and show them what the gently caress is up in the DFS GARBAGE DAY :getin:

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I picked up an Imperial Courier yesterday and am really digging it but I'm not sure what weapons to put on it. I tried 3 med gimbaled beam lasers which is hilarious but it drains power way too quickly. Would putting a couple of multi-cannons on it be worthwhile?

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008
I slapped two gimballed MC's on the wings and a fixed beam in the middle. Took it to a HazRez and murdered clipper mans pretty easy.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I've been considering 2 gimbal beams + 1 railgun in the middle for my courier. Anyone tried such a setup?

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
To be fair Braben used the words "week of the 9th", which is hilarious because the question was worded as "if I wanted to take some days off work when should I do that?"

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doesn't the Anaconda have one?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

frank.club posted:

Doesn't the Anaconda have one?

I think a single one, yeah. That's why we have all of those early videos of sidewinders dropping into USS' looking for "Pirate Crimelord X" and getting one-shotted by a giant blue ball.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So if the corvette has 2 then how is it worse in a firefight..?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

frank.club posted:

Well according to ~*~sources~*~ the Corvette has:
2x C1
2x C2
1x C3
2x C4

Which is "worse" than the Anaconda which has 2 more C3 slots at the cost of one C4 slot.

I don't know what's stopping someone from putting two C3 weapons in the C4 slots. The big question I suppose is what the Corvette's internals look like since with the current "stack shield banks" PvP meta is all that matters. (Christ, I wish they would just limit shield cell banks to one per ship...)

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

But then I couldn't turn off the thrusters on my anaconda mid fight and pop 5 at once refilling my entire shield from nearly-empty!

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

frank.club posted:

I'd guess it has something to do with there being no C4 hitscan weapons and the only gimballed option being a cannon which is hard to hit with due to projectile speed. So you need actual skill to hit with C4 weapons or have to deal with downgrading to C3 and feeling suboptimally equipped.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Well according to ~*~sources~*~ the Corvette has:
2x C1
2x C2
1x C3
2x C4

Which is "worse" than the Anaconda which has 2 more C3 slots at the cost of one C4 slot.

I don't know what's stopping someone from putting two C3 weapons in the C4 slots. The big question I suppose is what the Corvette's internals look like since with the current "stack shield banks" PvP meta is all that matters. (Christ, I wish they would just limit shield cell banks to one per ship...)

What is the Conda's layout?

4x sub-C3 weapons seems kind of stupid to me, especially with only 1 C3 on the ship given it's size and apparent use as a "corvette/frigate" sized ship.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

LCL-Dead posted:

What is the Conda's layout?

4x sub-C3 weapons seems kind of stupid to me, especially with only 1 C3 on the ship given it's size and apparent use as a "corvette/frigate" sized ship.
The anaconda has the same 2xC1, 2xC2 layout but it has 3 C3 hardpoints as well as a C4. I actually really don't like the Anaconda's hardpoint placement (the C1s, one of the C3s and the C4 are all on the underside of the hull, the two C2s are on the sides and two C3s on the top) so it'll be interesting to see where the guns are on the Corvette and Cutter.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

The originally hyped hardpoints for the corvette is what it should have gotten if it's really supposed to be a combat ship, 2 c4, 3 c3, and 2 c2 is what they said first, then they made a correction the following week. It all really hinges on whether there's new C4 weapons coming with it as it is now.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Who the heck cares what it has as long as it has two C4 and can power two C4 plasma accelerators? If you want to use other guns, other ships can supply them more affordably and probably with much more agility. The Corvette will be the :hellyeah: option.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
One of the SRV previews has that combat flyover of the Corvette, if anyone wants to guess where the hardpoint placement is.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
So I finally broke down and got the game finished all the tutorials not sure what to do next. Is there any video guides out there goons can recomend for someone in a sidewinder to get their start? Not even sure what missions I should be grabbing, should I be trading , mining or trying to bounty hunt?

I would eventually like to be a smuggler if that helps.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Vire posted:

So I finally broke down and got the game finished all the tutorials not sure what to do next. Is there any video guides out there goons can recomend for someone in a sidewinder to get their start? Not even sure what missions I should be grabbing, should I be trading , mining or trying to bounty hunt?

I would eventually like to be a smuggler if that helps.

Smuggling is just trading with an occasional fine right now.

As a newbie you're going to have to do a lot before you can focus on one single thing. Go out and kill some NPCs, haul some cargo and drill into some rocks as you fancy. Your progression path should be as follows:

Sidewinder -> Hauler -> Adder -> Cobra(?) -> Asp

Those ships focus on having a bit more cargo or being more multi-role oriented than the others.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

LCL-Dead posted:

Smuggling is just trading with an occasional fine right now.

As a newbie you're going to have to do a lot before you can focus on one single thing. Go out and kill some NPCs, haul some cargo and drill into some rocks as you fancy. Your progression path should be as follows:

Sidewinder -> Hauler -> Adder -> Cobra(?) -> Asp

Those ships focus on having a bit more cargo or being more multi-role oriented than the others.

Yeah I guess I should just go out and try everything not even sure I will like smuggling yet I just saw some neat videos with people sneaking into stations with illegal goods and that seemed really cool.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm having trouble gaining Empire ranks. I'm currently friendly with them but no rank. I've been doing missions in Achenar which has like 7 empire controlled stations and am gaining erp with the minor factions, but never received one of those special missions to get a rank. Do they show on the bulletin board?

According to a guide I read when I googled it, I'm not even supposed to be in Achenar but I got the system permit for it. I'm so confused.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
Rank up missions show up in the board and usually several kinds show up at once. Everyone currently has a permit to Achnlearn because of a CG a few weeks ago which also waived the requirements of buying a clipper. Probably only going to last a few weeks more at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Hey so when you are about to rank up and the special "new opportunities" missions or whatever it's called show up, usually a bunch show up at once. Probably won't gain multiple ranks at once by doing them all, right?

• Locked thread